Reconnecting with Christ. Considering Adult Baptism. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all!

I have in the last few years undergone a wild transformation. I was a part of an Eastern faith and after having children and wanting to find a spiritual community that my DH and I could agree on we went to a Unitarian Universalist church while living in New England. Very God centered, with reason and wonderfully friendly people. We took that light of love with us when we had to relocate back to the D.C. area. I found that when I reconnected with my Eastern faith family, I didn't feel the same. It was different and I knew that I didn't want to raise my children there. That and my husband who was a part of a different Eastern tradition didn't feel the same either and knew that we wanted something else for our family. So we went to another UU congregation. It was nebulous which is something I didn't like, but the people were friendly so we went a couple more times. We just couldn't connect. We tried another UU congregation and the same thing happened. We couldn't connect. The last straw for me was when the seminarian all but bashed New England UU churches for being traditional or God centered. I was upset and looked for other UU churches and all I found were congregations. The people were wonderfully friendly, but they weren't very welcoming to theists at least not if you spoke about your faith. I know not all UU congregations are like that, but unfortunately it can get that way in some places. Some UU churches/congregations are wonderful places of spiritual renewal and healing from the hurt of other faith traditions.

Anyways, I decided to go back to the roots of my faith which started as a child in church and researched the history of UU more deeply from what I had learned at the church in New England. When I looked up UU Christians, I came up with the UUCF or the Unitarian Universalist Christian Fellowship. I tried to see if they had any churches, but they don't. Then I looked up another group that also didn't have churches so I thought I was stuck until I read a wonderful blog by a woman who was raised UU but became a Christian. She at first tried to establish a UUCF group in her UU church and then decided to strike out on her own. She went to the United Church of Christ and was soon after baptised in the church. She new attends seminary to become ordained in the church. It was inspiring to me. So I went and found a UCC church which was in my area. It was beautiful. We went for only about a year before my husband found a better job in the area in Virginia. For the past year, we have been looking for a church home. I have found out so much on my journey, but one thing that has burned bright is my commitment to God through Jesus Christ.

Now here comes the last part. I was never baptised as a child. I was dedicated, but not baptised, as my parents felt that it was an adult decision that I should make for myself. I really appreciate that. I'm feeling so called to the waters to seal my commitment to God to follow the teachings of Jesus and love Him with all my heart and my neighbor as myself. Are there any others like me who made a circuitous route to their final spiritual home? Is there any other person like me who feels called to the water or initiation or some other spiritual commitment? I'm just feeling curious and would really like to have some encouragement just knowing that I'm not alone. You don't have to be Christian to respond. Thanks.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#2 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My Baptist grandma took me to church with her when I was little, but I gradually fell out of the habit of going and out of feeling like I could expect much attention from God.  After high school I started drifting back, starting with going to Presbyterian chapel services, then a mixed Catholic/Protestant Bible study and a Pentecostal student group.  Finally I ended up back with the Baptists, and was baptized as an adult.  It was one of the best and most joyful days of my life--even though I took a major wrong turn while driving to the lake where they were doing the baptisms, and later my glasses fell off the dock into the water, everything worked out fine in a wonderfully easy way.

I'm glad to hear that you are considering baptism, I really encourage you to take that step.

kJad29 likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. It's great to know that I'm not the only one. I know that the Disciples of Christ also only do baptism after an age of maturity. No younger than like 14 years old which I think it great. I was what I call a spiritual commitmentphobe. I was on the track to becoming initiated in my Eastern faith practice, but just couldn't. It scared me because I felt that I couldn't follow the principles. Well actually I could, but I wondered to myself, "what if I changed my mind"? I don't feel that now. I'm happy to go on this journey and it is a hard one. It's easy being nice to the folks in your own faith, easy to serve those who serve the way you do, but it's harder to get out there and serve those who are different from yourself in philosophy. That makes it difficult. If you could be in a faith bubble, it would be easy. You serve folks in your own insular community, but don't have much to do with people outside of it. I guess that's what stopped me. Again thanks for your encouragement. My family has started attending a great church recently and I will be dedicating our children in this church. I'll talk to the pastor about it soon.

Kemi wifedreads.gif to Jeffdh_malesling.GIF mommy to Rohan h20homebirth.gifROTFLMAO.gif 1/3/09 and Narenhomebirth.jpg(transfer to hospital) blahblah.gif  10/22/10. Pregnant with stork-girl.gif

****5****10****15****20****25****30****353rdtri.gif***40 (Hospital BC w/CNMs due to GD)

#4 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I was 4yrs when I fund the Lord. It was not till I was older that I wanted to be baptized. I was baptized at 20. It was very joyful and I am so happy that I did.

kJad29 likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM

I was raised Quaker, which is a faith that doesn't baptize, and as an adult after some not-really-religious time ended up in the Episcopal church and was baptized at age 24. 

kJad29 likes this.

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page