Any Christian Scientists? A Christian has a question. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2004, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell me what makes Christian Scientists "different" than other Christians. I am really curious. Is it just the thing about not believing in medical intervention? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2004, 08:40 PM

I think the main difference is that christian scientists don't view Jesus as another manifestation of God but rather as God's son. They are quite clear about that distinction. No communion. No icons. No altar. No choir. Not much ritual--the service consists of reading passages from the Bible and an accompanying text, so no extemporaneous preaching. A far greater emphasis is placed on the resurrection than the crucifixion. That's all that comes to mind right now. HTH
Old 04-28-2004, 01:38 AM

The First Church of Christ, Scientist was discovered by a woman named Mary Baker Eddy in the late 1800s. She wrote a book which, I believe, is used in conjunction with the Bible (I have a friend who was raised in the Christian Science Church). They believe in the healing power of prayer and belive we all have access to that. That is why some choose not to turn to traditional medicine. My friend assures me, though, that among the CS community one is not looked down upon if one chooses to turn to traditional western medicine -- like anything, we hear the very radical, scandalous parts within the media which tend to make an organization misunderstood or misrepresented. For more information, look here: http://www.tfccs.com/aboutchristianscience/

They are not to be confused with L.Ron Hubbard's Scientology -- huge difference!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. I will check out that link! I took out the Mary Baker Eddy book yesterday at the library. Now to find time to read it lol.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsapmom
They are not to be confused with L.Ron Hubbard's Scientology -- huge difference!
Exactly!

My boyfriend is Christian Scientist and we have a lot of neat conversations about it. Had one this morning, in fact. I used to think that C.S. was all about ignoring medical advice of any kind to the point of dire consequenses.

Now, I find it much more conforting than the other religions I've participated in.

I went to a Scientology "building" once years back and felt like I had entered the home of aliens. (No pun intended!!) C.S. is far more of a comfort to me than any other religious belief I've followed. It feels "right".
Old 05-28-2006, 03:17 PM

My dad's whole family is C.S. and I have a great deal of respect for it as a denomination. I am not Christian myself, but if I were to be looking for a church, it would be high on my list.

If you are curious, there is probably a Christian Science Reading Room in your town or one nearby. They have all sorts of materials available and nice volunteers staffing them who can answer questions. They tend to be respectful and not pushy to people who don't share their faith, but happy to pass on what they believe if asked. You don't have to sign up for anything or come to church if you drop by a reading room. You could even take your copy of Mothering into a reading room and just use it as a quiet place to relax and read if you wanted.

Some other Christian denominations have a hard time with CS because of Mary Baker Eddy's belief that God spoke to her and that Jesus was the son of God, not God himself. The companion text is called The Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures.

::::: Married for ten years to my good man :. Mama to my sweet and funny boy and my lovely little girl

User Tag List