*~**~**~September Pagan Families Falling into Autumn!~*~*~*~** - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 44 Old 09-16-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistlemoon View Postand we welcomed Alba Rose Jenevieve into the world on September 8, 2013 at 2:50 am.

Wow, yay! Pretty name, too. What are you going to call her; have you decided yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostMaiasaura: Have you been assigned a person to work with yet?  That sounds totally up your alley.  I hope you do get some awesome, crazy old lady!!!  Hard to believe you've been in MA for 3 mos!!  Love hearing that DS is transitioning so well to his new school! hooray, hooray, all around!! :joy  How is M?  

No, not yet. I should have, but I realized two things: 1) I forgot to schedule my physical, and I can't work till a doctor signs off that I can :innocent and 2) I said I didn't want to work till the PCA training is over, and that's this week. Had the first day today. It's very much like CNA training in NC, only nothing medical like taking BP or temperature. Other stuff the same, though, like helping someone to dress, or changing an occupied bed, or cleaning dentures.

I know! I can't believe we've been here so long already, too. I am LOVING the chilly mornings and evenings. We put the flannel sheets on by September 8th. Usually in NC it's around Mabon!

M is doing really well. He's really nervous right now because he is at his neighbor's for a football "party" (3 or 4 people watching a game). He does not socialize. He has paranoid schizophrenia and tends to stay in his little studio box, even though he's managed pretty well with meds and is a wonderful social conversationalist. He's just very nervous inside, and tends to say no a lot. He's starting to break out a little, though :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostAFM: I freaking hate September. My husband worked last week, but his superintendent says he will sit at home (unpaid) until his arm heals. In the meantime, we got into a car crash, totaled the car, and had to replace it since three car seats won't even fit in my husband's car. His car is now at the shop, and I worry about a big car bill we can't afford right now. Plus my oldest desperately needs clothes, I still don't have everything we need for the baby, etc.. I am so stressed out about money. I keep repeating to myself this Wendell Berry poem:

The Peace of Wild Things

When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

— Wendell Berry

Yikes, mama. Hang in there, breathe, trust. Things will work out. LOVE the poem. I might have to print that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostHi friend!!  LOL at pear butter.  It does sound yummy.  I don't have any plans for the equinox but that's nothing new.  Would love to start getting together with other pagans again.  It's been years.

So....you should have come out to that apple farm. It turned out to be crazy expensive for the dang apples, though. I spent every cent I had with me ($20 for a small bag of apples, $3 for a caramel apple with sprinkles, and $5 for a dang bag of donuts, but they were cider cinnamon and fresh, at least). I had planned for that money to last weeks. Oh well.

Dunno what we are doing for the actual Equinox. It's my favorite holiday and there's no public ritual around here that I know of, and it's the first Mabon in 3 years I actually get to EAT and I'm not dieting. And we're alone mecry.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 44 Old 09-18-2013, 11:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolfcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Yikes, Wolfcat, you have a lot going on! It sounds like the ick is balanced by the good, though. Hopefully. Yum on the cheese! Is it better than bought cheese? I would think so! Do you have a cow? Or access to one? How did you do it?
Goddess of Ick-- love it lol.gif
No cow. I use whole milk, heat and lemon juice. It is pretty easy. You can Google it. I use the 30 minute mozzarella recipe and the ricotta recipe from Caio Chow. It is totally delicious. I use the ricotta to make flavored spreads and dips, and in meatloaf and meatballs. The mozzarella is silky and smooth-tasting.

Check out my radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a head-covering witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a Heathen breadwinning daddy.
#33 of 44 Old 09-19-2013, 07:24 AM

I hope you all had a wonderful harvest moon last night! We actually will celebrate tonight, since the full moon fire jam got schedule tonight. Unfortunately, the clouds never cleared for us to get a peak, and it looks unlikely to clear tonight either. I had hoped for one last month this year of watching the moon rise over Lake Michigan, but unless this baby comes late, we probably won't make it to another full moon fire jam this year. I love the children's books about the harvest moon like Possum's Harvest Moon and Hello Harvest Moon. I often wish that I could find books like that for every moon!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#34 of 44 Old 09-27-2013, 08:20 AM

Hey Pagan Parents!

How is everyone doing?  I hope the fall equinox was amazing!  That moon!  uhhh!!  So perfect.

DoK: How is the oragami owl sales going?  I know it's all the rage here in my town.  Very cool idea.

revolting: how are you?  how is your DH?  any movement with babykins?  I hope September has turned around for you!!! Thanks for the reminder of those books!  I need to own more Pagan books...

Maia: have you started work yet? how did M do at the football party? 

wolfcat: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. cheeeeeeese.  Thanks for the info on cheese making.  I wish I could dip myself in a giant pot of melty cheese (you know, in makebelieve land where I don't get 3rd degree burns all over my body).  How are the books coming along?

My daughter is currently obsessed with death.  Who has been through this?  Each of her grandparents cats has died in the past year (3 sets of grandparents).  We talk a lot about the garden and the cycle of life through that.  Someone (or all of them) told her that the cats went to heaven and when we die we go to heaven because that is where we came from.  Now she is upset as she doesn't want to go back to heaven she would like to stay here with me.  (her words) I NEED BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS!  and advice.  We believe in a form of heaven so that isn't the issue.  I like what Circle Round says about children asking about dying - I just would like a non-christian children's book on dying that can start our conversation.

In happier news: My birthday is next month and the local park/nature area is hosting a children's fall tree walk on my birthday!  I am so excited to spend time with Z and trees and nature to celebrate my latest journey around the sun!  Weeeee!  :treehugger

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#35 of 44 Old 09-27-2013, 08:32 AM

It's going well!  Once people see it in person, they are hooked.  :D  Of course, I think I'll probably end up being my best customer.  hahah.

I'm loving early autumn. But, the cooler weather makes me so sleepy.  I don't get it.  I think it must be because I find this season so comforting.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#36 of 44 Old 09-27-2013, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

Maia: have you started work yet? how did M do at the football party? 

My daughter is currently obsessed with death.  Who has been through this? 

In happier news: My birthday is next month and the local park/nature area is hosting a children's fall tree walk on my birthday!  I am so excited to spend time with Z and trees and nature to celebrate my latest journey around the sun!  Weeeee!  :treehugger

No, I haven't-- I had an opportunity to meet a client, but she canceled. I don't honestly know if it had to do with me, cause my car had issues and I said I might have issues making it (then I said nevermind I could get a ride), or if she really did have something come up. It's alright, cause honestly, that client is only 4y older than me, has stage 4 breast cancer, and is ornery as a cat on fire, hates life and everyone in it, and, she smokes...I'd rather have someone in my own town, that's old and just needs help. Someone nice and not resentful.

Death-- can't remember ds's Young Kid death stage, honestly, but even now at 12 he gets reallyreally upset if I talk about ME dying. I don't know what he believes about afterlife, and I don't really have a clear idea of what I believe. Did you ask Z what she thinks?

Happy birthday! Mine's in November. I'm pretty stoked that M and ds and I get to celebrate secular Thanksgiving all together, for a change. DS hasn't had it with me in 4 years. Not that anyone really cares about it; there's no longer any Big Family Thang, but it's nice that we can celebrate with M. I found a huge turkey breast on sale at the store yesterday for $1.29 (I think) a pound. Got the last one! And put it in my newish deep freezer. Yay! I don't think I can ever go w/o a deep freezer again. Even if I had to hide it as furniture in my room or something, I would have one forever.

And, I am loving the weather up here! It's the right temperature at the right time of year, the leaves are changing, it's not too wet not too dry, really cold in morning and evening. LOVE it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostI'm loving early autumn. But, the cooler weather makes me so sleepy.  I don't get it.  I think it must be because I find this season so comforting.

You and me both. My crock pot is my best friend again already!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#37 of 44 Old 09-27-2013, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, football...he took his meds before he went over, he did well, I got to talk to him a couple times but I did not pester and he did not blow me off, he went home around 10:45 and fell promptly asleep :thumb

#38 of 44 Old 09-27-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

You and me both. My crock pot is my best friend again already!

Ooh, I need to go through my long forgotten bottom cupboards to see if I still have a crock pot.  I think it would be a good idea for me to start using one.  I also can't wait to start baking!

#39 of 44 Old 09-28-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Ooh, I need to go through my long forgotten bottom cupboards to see if I still have a crock pot.  I think it would be a good idea for me to start using one.  I also can't wait to start baking!

Here is what I made yesterday:

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, with a can of Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes, sliced onion, green and black olives, mushrooms, salt, pepper, oregano, threw in some leftover zucchini and a partial bag of fresh spinach before it went bad...guys had rice under, I did not. Awesomely yummy, but I bumped up 1.5lbs this morning and I think it was: too much salt, too many olives, eating too late (for me), eating too much. Gah. But it sure was delish.

#40 of 44 Old 09-28-2013, 08:01 AM

Sounds so good!  I love olives!  How long did you let it cook? And at what setting?

#41 of 44 Old 09-28-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Sounds so good!  I love olives!  How long did you let it cook? And at what setting?

Oh, I just threw stuff in there and let 'er rip...hmm, 10am I put it all in, on low, we ate around 6pm but could have probably eaten lots sooner. It was nearly mush by then :lol BUT, I didn't throw the zucchini and spinach in till like 5:30 or so.

#42 of 44 Old 09-30-2013, 07:31 AM

Vy: That sounds like a perfect way to celebrate a birthday. My oldest went through a very morbid stage around 3.5, but the whole thing is kind of fuzzy. However, it's a great time of year to talk about these things. I don't know your personal beliefs, but we always focus on our relationship with our ancestors in October. Currently, I have our ancestor shrine out of the children's reach (not particularly on purpose as much as when I organized my kitchen, a high cupboard worked best). A lot of the Day of the Dead books, while definitely based from a Catholic point of view, work very well for Pagans, too. I especially like Ghost Wings by Barbara Joose and Beta and the Bone Dance by Gina Freschet. Since we live within an hour of a Mexican art museum, we go every year near Samhain to see their ofrendas. More secular, I also like the book When the Wind Stops by Charlotte Zolotow. My kids and I are reading The Halloween Tree, which my three year old definitely doesn't understand all the way (but is perfect for my six year old), but I think is a great way to talk about death and this time of year with kids.

DoK: I need to get a new slow cooker. When one of the legs broke off of my slow cooker, I decided to dedicate it for melting wax with the idea I'd replace it, but that never happened.

AFM: Well, my husband's work decided not to let him work any more. We will get a pittance for disability and the strain of money stress creates a lot of fighting between my partner and me. At 37 weeks, I'm full-term, but the baby is posterior, so I expect the baby will take his or her time making an entrance into the world. I keep telling myself that October will bring better things!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

#43 of 44 Old 09-30-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by revolting View PostSince we live within an hour of a Mexican art museum, we go every year near Samhain to see their ofrendas.

AFM: Well, my husband's work decided not to let him work any more. We will get a pittance for disability and the strain of money stress creates a lot of fighting between my partner and me. At 37 weeks, I'm full-term, but the baby is posterior, so I expect the baby will take his or her time making an entrance into the world. I keep telling myself that October will bring better things!

Oh, man, mama :Hug That SO stinks. Maybe you and your DH can try to make a pact not to fight. It's gonna take a heck of resolve, but it's doable. Maybe try to notice 3 things every day that y'all fell in love for, or 5 things to be thankful for every dinnertime, or....something. Especially with baby imminent, you don't wanna go add baby to already-stressed, and baby won't wait, y'know?
I've been REALLY mean and hateful lately. I don't know what is going on. I know that I'm not happy because the play I wrote (life), and the players (M, my son) won't do what I say or stand where I tell them or do ANYthing I want.
Um, well? No wonder resentment. I'm being a bitch, they want say in their lives, I'm horrid. And it's mostly on me to change. And I'm angry and spiteful and mean mean mean.

It's been really, really hard. Only in the last 2 days has M said something to me. My son has been trying, but I rationalized it as I'm The Mom and He's The Kid and he has to Do What I Say anyway...I didn't realize I'm being over the top. I thought maybe I was, but not sure. Now I know. I've been extra extra trying to not overstress and trying to be nice. It's a hard change after the mean has insidiously crept up for so long.

I can't find ANY Samhain things or Day of the Dead things here. I'm really, really bumming. There's a public thing...well, two...put on by this really nice bunch of people (we've met) but the family-friendly one, M and ds don't want to go to (they both very nearly ruined Lammas and Mabon both, for me, and not because I was Being Mean, but they did not want to go, and were being downers to try to get me to not go) and the adult-only one that's Real Magicky is at night in a town 40 minutes away. Children aren't invited. And ds isn't quite old enough to stay alone at night yet.

I don't know what to do bawling.gif

#44 of 44 Old 10-03-2013, 01:06 PM

New thread:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1390887/october-family-circle

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page