so it enters us --
  in the morning
   shines from brute comfort
     like a stitch of lightning;

and at night
  lights up the deep and wondrous
   drownings of the body
     like a star.

I love love love this time of year: pumpkins, apples, ancestor worship, the secular holiday of Halloween. Top that I expect to have a baby this month, and I couldn't feel more excited. We already have begun making costumes (both kids plan to be fairies) and have our holiday playlist ready: I think Ancestor Chant and Gone Gonna Rise Again may be my favorite religiously inclined songs.

Anyone else already preparing for Samhain?

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#2 of 26 Old 10-03-2013, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am sad because I can't find any kindred spirits with which to celebrate Samhain up here in my new home mecry.gif There's a group that does public rituals, but the family-friendly one seems to mostly be little kids (mine's 12) and my son and my man both do not want to go at all. The adult one that they're doing is at night, in a town 40 minutes away, and my son doesn't want to stay alone, nor has he ever, yet, at night, for more than 2 hours and I was 10 minutes down the road. Gah. I'm alone gloomy.gif

I don't even have my own relatives to honor in graveyards here, though I can go anyway and spiff up the ones that appear least cared for. I might get to go to my dad's grave over Christmas, and if I do, maybe I can leave an offering when my brother and the rest of the fam aren't looking. They'd think it was awful weird if I left some food there, y'know? They already think of me as the relative with two heads.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#3 of 26 Old 10-04-2013, 07:54 AM

revolting: I love your Libra babe already! ;) You know, considering I am one.  Are things looking up for you and DH at all?  You are in my thoughts, mama.  btw, thanks for the book recommendations for Z and her death inquiries from last month.  You are right, it is the perfect time to talk about it.  

maiasaura: i am sorry you are feeling alone with Samhain. it must be very strange to go from such a community around you in NC to not much there.  i wish I had some words for you.  i am alone here but more by choice than anything else.  I like the idea of heading to a cemetery and cleaning up some headstones that need some love.  Perhaps while you are there the Universe will guide you.  

So yeah, Samhain, there is this cool "Day of the Dead" celebration at a local children's center so I am going to take Z to that.  I am pretty psyched.  She is just old enough to remember and get this stuff this year. We talk a lot about our family members who have passed (obviously) and this year I am bound and determined to get some dang pictures printed out.  My inlaws are not helpful on this - for some reason they rarely talk about their families, etc.  I don't want to leave them out just because my MIL won't give me pics.  You know what I mean?  

Slow cookers: YESYESYES!! love mine madly.  She's out at least once a week.  Usually Z can help me with making the crockpot concoction, too, so she's all proud that she is making dinner.  

Tonight is the new moon.  I love this time of the month.  I always set new intentions, do a little goddess tarot, alter my altar :wink, etc.  Going to spruce it up with ancestor items this weekend.  I have some special things that my nearest and dearest who have departed either gave me or were theirs.  I love seeing them and being reminded that they are always around me, especially this time of year.  Did I mention that I went to a psychic and he noted that my dad's brother, uncle and dog were all coming through?  And another woman named Margaret who I believe was my grandma's grandma.  It was awesome. 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#4 of 26 Old 10-05-2013, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I made pickles. Fermented pickles. They taste perfect, but they got mushy. Next time, I'll add tea leaves.

I'm done with the farmer's market for the year. Next weekend is our big vending event, so yay for that.

Oh and the illustrator has gotten halfway through the illustrations for my book!

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#5 of 26 Old 10-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View PostI made pickles. Fermented pickles. They taste perfect, but they got mushy. Next time, I'll add tea leaves.

I'm done with the farmer's market for the year. Next weekend is our big vending event, so yay for that.

Oh and the illustrator has gotten halfway through the illustrations for my book!

Tea leaves? Do those keep the pickles from getting mushy? How are fermented ones different from, say, canned ones or refrigerator pickles?

Yay about the illustrations! I almost got picked to be illustrator for a kids' book series one time. Didn't make the cut, though. Ah, well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Postmaiasaura: i am sorry you are feeling alone with Samhain. it must be very strange to go from such a community around you in NC to not much there.  i wish I had some words for you.  i am alone here but more by choice than anything else.  I like the idea of heading to a cemetery and cleaning up some headstones that need some love.  Perhaps while you are there the Universe will guide you.  

She is just old enough to remember and get this stuff this year. We talk a lot about our family members who have passed (obviously) and this year I am bound and determined to get some dang pictures printed out.  My inlaws are not helpful on this - for some reason they rarely talk about their families, etc.  I don't want to leave them out just because my MIL won't give me pics.  You know what I mean?  

Slow cookers: YESYESYES!! love mine madly.  She's out at least once a week.  Usually Z can help me with making the crockpot concoction, too, so she's all proud that she is making dinner. 

Vydalea, I'm just trying to mull over what to do, about Samhain. I'm such a community person for Pagan holy days. I was going to the public rituals in Asheville for like 3-4 years. And was really getting to know the regular shower-uppers, and I knew the people who facilitated and I often helped/got involved.
I know at some point I am going to go to one of the graveyards here. Maybe this coming week. Dunno what else. Might go to that family Samhain anyway, even if I go alone.

When ds was Z's age or so, I got a piece of posterboard, and drew a tree on it with pastels. Then I Xeroxed family photos and stuck them on with glue stick. Good way to show the family tree without it being something that could be ruined by a toddler ;)

Today I am doing boneless country style pork ribs in the crock pot. It's a lousy, misty, bone-chilling sort of day, so...perfect. I have to make my own BBQ sauce, though, as I don't use commercial ones. Mine never comes out like those-- I need to figure out how to refine the recipe. I use BBQ sauce so infrequently, though.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#6 of 26 Old 10-07-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post

Hooray for the halfway point on the illustrations!  From what I see on facebook they are STUNNNNNNNING!! 

Maia: Love the gluing on the family idea.  When I get back from our trip this weekend I'll have to get out the art supplies and get moving on that.  

Has anyone ever harvested/dried calendula and used it to make ointment?  I have googled it and am getting lots of different ideas to do it and hoped one of you has had experience and can make a suggestion for me.

My garden is still giving!  Just harvested the potatoes yesterday, broccoli keeps coming and even beans!  There is a chance of a tornado here today... yikes!!   

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#7 of 26 Old 10-07-2013, 12:23 PM

subbing

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#8 of 26 Old 10-07-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

Hooray for the halfway point on the illustrations!  From what I see on facebook they are STUNNNNNNNING!! 

Maia: Love the gluing on the family idea.  When I get back from our trip this weekend I'll have to get out the art supplies and get moving on that.  

Has anyone ever harvested/dried calendula and used it to make ointment?  I have googled it and am getting lots of different ideas to do it and hoped one of you has had experience and can make a suggestion for me.

My garden is still giving!  Just harvested the potatoes yesterday, broccoli keeps coming and even beans!  There is a chance of a tornado here today... yikes!!   

It was easy, vydalea, not any complicated or anything. Nothing that would suffer if it got destroyed by toddler-hands, lol.

Ointment, not calendula but I have made plantain salve. Easy peasy. Soak plantain in olive oil for like 6 weeks, strain, mix with melted beeswax, voila!

So it looks like ds is interested in going to Salem, after all:energy This weekend there is a Civil War reenactment, right here, and I think it's free. So we'll do that. And then next weekend go to Salem. The weekend after that is Samhain weekend and I am going to drag ds to the family Samhain. He can bring a book if he doesn't want to participate. But it's in the day, and in the next town, so it is what it is.
I sure as heck miss the open rituals in Asheville. Ain't much I miss, but that is huge.

#9 of 26 Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

I am sad because I can't find any kindred spirits with which to celebrate Samhain up here in my new home mecry.gif There's a group that does public rituals, but the family-friendly one seems to mostly be little kids (mine's 12) and my son and my man both do not want to go at all. 

My son doesn't want to go to that public event either.  Why don't we get our boys together?  I know I'm not exactly close to you but it would be cool to finally meet!  My son is just about 11 yrs old but all of his friends are either in middle or high school.  :)

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#10 of 26 Old 10-15-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

My son doesn't want to go to that public event either.  Why don't we get our boys together?  I know I'm not exactly close to you but it would be cool to finally meet!  My son is just about 11 yrs old but all of his friends are either in middle or high school.  :)

Perhaps we could...and Heather, too! When? Where? Mine doesn't want to go either, but he's going anyway, because *I* want to go.
How far are you willing to travel? Want to meet halfway sometime? Are you past Ashland (I forgot)? Maybe a public park/playground (with bathrooms) would be good before it gets too cold!

#11 of 26 Old 10-16-2013, 05:14 PM

jealous, ladies!  :p

#12 of 26 Old 10-18-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Greetings all!

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#13 of 26 Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 AM

How is everyone doing? I had a belated birthday party/swing into fall party last night. It was so wonderful! Friends and family and fun!

DaughterOfKali likes this.

Visit the Holiday Helper thread and join in on the giving and fun! Loving and working with the plants. I have a store! or two!
#14 of 26 Old 10-22-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post

How is everyone doing? I had a belated birthday party/swing into fall party last night. It was so wonderful! Friends and family and fun!

hey, happy belated birthday!!!!  

We are well here.  Looks like I have nearly "UNOFFICIALLY" adopted the 12 year old across the street.  She is like a big sister to my little Z and her mama is parenting alone, working full time and is loving it as much as we are!  Sometimes I just love how the Universe gives us these little gifts.  So, that's what's new here...

#15 of 26 Old 10-23-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post

hey, happy belated birthday!!!!  

We are well here.  Looks like I have nearly "UNOFFICIALLY" adopted the 12 year old across the street.  She is like a big sister to my little Z and her mama is parenting alone, working full time and is loving it as much as we are!  Sometimes I just love how the Universe gives us these little gifts.  So, that's what's new here...

Happy birthday, ian'smommaya!

I wish someone would adopt MY 12yo! Hey vydalea...just a thought. If you have a couple of spare bucks, maybe you can offer the 12yo like $2-3/hour to "watch" Z when you have some work to do around the house? Like a momma's helper. And she can come play whenever she wants, but if you have specific work to do, you could pay her a little bit. If you can/want to. But you'd have to differentiate between babysitting days or not! Unless you think offering money might make her not want to hang out unless she's making money. That would stink.

What're y'all doing this weekend/next week? I think DOK and I and another mama who live here are going to hang on Saturday, finally meet in person! While the kids play and we can have coffee and chit-chat about Samhain and ancestors and things. Sunday at our UU church, my ds has offered to help the little carnival for the little kids. The bigger kids "man" game booths and they're dressed up and the littles can score dum-dum pops and such. Then we might go to the public family-friendly Samhain thingy. Dunno.
Next week I am determined to get to a graveyard and...well, soak up the atmosphere :lol

#16 of 26 Old 10-23-2013, 04:11 PM

Thanks for the birthday wishes y'all!

We've unofficially adopted several kids. Love. And how fortunate that for the Halloween season as a school we are going on a school trip to a cemetary! I am SOOOOOOOOOO excited~

Maiasaura likes this.

#17 of 26 Old 10-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Hi All!

Sorry I have been out of touch. I guess I have been adjusting to being a new mom and my online time has been limited. Also for some reason I am not getting notifications from the site anymore and so a sort of out of sight out of mind thing!

Wishing you all a blessed Samhain! I doubt we will be doing much. We live rurally, so we don't even get trick or treaters. I miss that. Hoping when Alba is older we'll be able to do parties and stuff for her and friends.

This year I am planning to do a ritual of thanks to my ancestors. I have a list of all my female ancestors and their birth dates. I plan to honor them all simply by lighting candles and reading their names aloud.

#18 of 26 Old 10-25-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistlemoon View Post

Hi All!

Sorry I have been out of touch. I guess I have been adjusting to being a new mom and my online time has been limited. Also for some reason I am not getting notifications from the site anymore and so a sort of out of sight out of mind thing!

Wishing you all a blessed Samhain! I doubt we will be doing much. We live rurally, so we don't even get trick or treaters. I miss that. Hoping when Alba is older we'll be able to do parties and stuff for her and friends.

This year I am planning to do a ritual of thanks to my ancestors. I have a list of all my female ancestors and their birth dates. I plan to honor them all simply by lighting candles and reading their names aloud.

Alba, cool; is she named by chance for Albus Dumbledore? Srsly, not snarky. I lovelovelove Harry Potter.

Tell me about your ritual? Are you doing it alone? Because I have not got a tribe, here, yet, and tomorrow's thing fell through, and I would just like to do *something*. DS doesn't want to T'orT and even if he did, they don't do that in my neighborhood, far as I know. So he will probably be playing video games in his room-- I would like to do something in *my* room, something similar. I'd love some ideas like yours!

#19 of 26 Old 10-26-2013, 02:06 PM

Hi Maia!

Actually her name, Alba means "dawn" in Italian (my husband is from Italy) and she was conceived on the winter solstice, so we thought it was apt. Also Alba is the gaelic name for Scotland, where most of my ancestry hails from.

I have an ancestor altar in *my* room and so I will light a candle in honor of my ancestors, then I am literally planning to just read their names, days of birth (and death) if I have them and thank them for my life and then whatever might come up spontaneously on the spot. Then I will probably leave some offerings. I usually do beer or cider, sometimes scotch, some Scottish oats and then olive oil for my husband's ancestors. And yes, I'll be doing it alone.

#20 of 26 Old 10-26-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistlemoon I have an ancestor altar in *my* room and so I will light a candle in honor of my ancestors, then I am literally planning to just read their names, days of birth (and death) if I have them and thank them for my life and then whatever might come up spontaneously on the spot. Then I will probably leave some offerings. I usually do beer or cider, sometimes scotch, some Scottish oats and then olive oil for my husband's ancestors. And yes, I'll be doing it alone.

Very cool idea. Especially for someone doing something alone. Thanks!

#21 of 26 Old 10-27-2013, 07:03 AM

No problem!

#22 of 26 Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 AM

Thistlemoon:  I totally love your idea for honoring your ancestors and I am stealing!  :)  I love your daughter's name, too, beautiful. 

#23 of 26 Old 10-31-2013, 05:27 AM

Wishing you all a Blessed Samhain. 

Can't believe it may actually rain this evening. Oh well.  If it does, the mall is doing trick or treating.  

What are your kids (and/or you) dressing up as this year?

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#24 of 26 Old 10-31-2013, 05:59 AM

Blessed Samhain to all of you!!

I am celebrating solo tomorrow and with the child on Saturday.  Did I mention that the local Children's Museum is doing this cool Day of the Dead Celebration?  I am psyched.  

Tonight Z will ToT down the street and then we head over to my sister's house to eat pizza and hand out candy.  She lives in the big ToT area!  It's super fun for Z to see all the children with their costumes. 

The local zoo and grocery store had ToT at both of their establishments so we've done both of those.  So fun.  The zoo one rocked because they completed activities to earn coins and then traded in the coins for prizes - and they had a lot of NON-candy prizes which made me happy.  Like I need a sugared up kid OR candy in the house.  I hope we get very few ToTers here because I HAVE EATEN MOST OF THE DARN HAND OUT CANDY!!! -- i canNOT be trusted with chocolate.  :yum

Z is going to be a spider. I had purchased a beautiful Monarch butterfly costume for her at the end of last season.  I loved it because it looked like an actual butterfly rather than glittered up pinked out butterfly wings.  Alas, her words were "Mama, butterflies are NOT scary but SPIDERS ARE!!" so I sewed some black socks on a sweatshirt and the kid is a spider.  :)  

#25 of 26 Old 11-01-2013, 05:26 PM

We did nothing, blessed NOTHING! DS did not want to dress up or go anywhere, so I'm down with that, yay. I did allow him to mow down most of the candy we had in the house, though, in honor of Halloween.
I did my solitary honoring of my Beloved Dead here at home.

Blessed Samhain, mamas!

#26 of 26 Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page