Attending Church but not sure of beliefs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)

Hi everyone.  I haven't lurked or participated in this forum before, but I have a question that I thought might get some responses here.   Without posting too much personal information online, suffice to say I have experienced some challenging life circumstances lately and am feeling the need to connect with real people and a supportive community.  In short, I am lonely and want my children to grow up as part of a community of caring people.  I used to consider myself a Christian, but then lost that belief and practically considered myself an atheist at one point. Now I am just not sure.  I often wish I believed, because I feel like having faith would be a source of strength.

I miss the feeling of community, the music, etc. of church.  However, I would feel like a hypocrite to attend again, when I really don't know my beliefs.  I feel like I would be thinking of it more like a social opportunity than spiritual opportunity....because I know the churches are generally filled with people who share similar values (other than a belief in God).  Those of you who are Christian, how would you feel about someone like me attending your church?  Do you regularly welcome non-believers....and if they did not come to fully believe in time, would you still want to be friends with them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a Christian, I would say that I always welcome non-believers. Any church that is truly acting as the body of Christ should welcome everyone: believers, seekers, non-believers, etc. I would also suggest that, if you do not find that you are comfortable attending a traditional Bible-believing church, that you might find the right community in a Unitarian-Universalist fellowship. Good luck with your search!
alpenglow likes this.

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif
#3 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 05:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post

Those of you who are Christian, how would you feel about someone like me attending your church?  Do you regularly welcome non-believers....and if they did not come to fully believe in time, would you still want to be friends with them?

You are exactly the sort of person my church hopes will attend regularly :-) The way to decide if you want to fully believe is to understand what you are being asked to believe in. And the best way to discover that is to attend a church with good bible teaching. There is no hypocrisy in that. Fellowship and teaching are two of the main purposes of church.

And yes, I would remain friends with a person who was an unbeliever. As long as they were respectful of my beliefs and didn't attempt to hinder me in my Christian walk.
alpenglow likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 5 Old 10-29-2013, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
Those of you who are Christian, how would you feel about someone like me attending your church?  Do you regularly welcome non-believers....and if they did not come to fully believe in time, would you still want to be friends with them?

I would hope that the church that you go to will treat you with love. No matter what.

I would welcome you into my church. I would be your friend. Hope you find a great bunch of people.

alpenglow likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 10-29-2013, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Maybe you've seen the Unitarian Universalist bumper sticker, "Honk if you're not sure!"

If you're looking for a church home that accepts the fact that you're "not sure" or still searching, the UU community is awesome.

There *is* a faith community that accepts Pagans, atheists, humanists, Buddhists, Christians, Jews, Hindus... We believe in "Deeds, not Creeds."

I'm still trying to figure out my spiritual/ religious beliefs (kinda leaning Pagan-ish/ agnostic-ish), and that is 100% accepted in the UU community.

alpenglow likes this.

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.   namaste.gif  ribbonpb.gif  joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page