Reading the Tanakh and Christian Bible side by side, with an agnostic perspective - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am starting out on a journey of reading the entire Bible start to finish.

Before I go any further, it might help to know my perspective. I was raised Luthern in an extremely conservative household, with a mom who believes in a literal interpretation of the Bible. I am married to a Jew, we are raising DD Jewish. If I had to put a name to my spiritual belief, it falls somewhere in the agnostic/humanist/unitarian spectrum. I usually don't put a name on my beliefs. :Sheepish

I have decided to read my old NIV Student Bible and my husband's Tanakh side-by-side (well, at least until I get to the New Testament), and started a blog to keep track of my critical analysis. The blog is very, very simple. No frills, no plans to use it as a side income, review products, etc. It is solely for the purposes of the project. 

I welcome discussion (but not evangelizing), which is why I am posting about it here. I would love to find a few individuals who are willing to set out on a similar journey.

The blog is thinkingcriticallyaboutreligion.blogspot.com

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

I would be interested in reading along. I'm a Jewish believer in Jesus. I read the Torah / Prophet / New Testament for each week.

I will only follow you. Not evangelize. If that is OK with you.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Of course that's ok! I welcome different points of view

ETA: My definition of "evangelizing" does not cover anyone trying to debate a different view point. Not at all. Just wanted to make sure that was clear! I only included that statement, because I live in the South, and...well, sometimes I get quite a lot of heat and rudeness for my beliefs.

I am also a lover of books reading.gif, treehugger treehugger.gif, and occasional soapbox stander! soapbox.gif

User Tag List