Christian moms Jan '14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2014, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

2014 :joy

Give a reasoned answer to anyone who asks you to explain the hope you have in you 1 Peter 3:15

Everyone is welcome to join. Please do

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Happy New Year!

I'm praying that God would move in each of our lives to heal and redeem hurts! And that he would continue to transform the hearts of all of his people to make them into loving and faithful servants of his will.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

skinny- Is the picture of your wedding?

How was everyones New year's eve? I was in bed @ 9.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I always wonder about that pic too LOL.
We had a great New Years. This is the 2nd year that we celebrated at church. Its just so much fun we play games and fellowship then at 11 start worship to bring in the New Year. We watched a really interesting video too. I'll have to get the website from the pastor and share it here. We didn't get home until after 1 am.
I feel like this is going to be a memorable year.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 01-01-2014, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Never went to church for New Years. Sounds fun.
I really hope that this is a great year!! I need one really good year...

Old 01-02-2014, 06:23 AM

We do everything either at the church or wherever but with the church family. We are aspiring to become like the acts church. They met together daily. Were not there yet. But all holidays and celebrations are spent together as a family in Christ.
Speaking if holidays, the Lord is walking us into celebrating the Jewish holidays this year.Maybe you can share some traditions of yours naz?

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

Old 01-02-2014, 10:16 AM

Yes, the photo is DH and I being married by our good friend and pastor. It's black and white, of course, but it was actually almost that gray out. We chose a really pretty outdoor venue with an up close view of the mountains and then it rained off and on and was 45 degrees. Haha. We had no backup planned, so we went with it! It turned out to be wonderful regardless. :-) Thanks for asking! We're celebrating our 3rd anniversary this year but have been together 7 years. Time flys!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:24 AM

3LilChunklins, that's a neat concept! It reminds me a bit of Shane Claiborne. Are you familiar with him? I really enjoy his books.

Also, I wanted to say WOOHOO! for your husband quitting marijuana and becoming a pastor. That's a big achievement and you have every reason to be proud of him. I'm sorry your MIL isn't more supportive but it all boils down to her issues and not yours or your husband's.

Nazsmum, we also slept through NYE. We're just worn out from Christmas still, I think. I'm sorry that couple you asked about isn't appropriately reciprocating your kindness. It sounds like it's just not a good match for you. Letting that friendship go might clear a space for a new friendship to come! God has your best interests at heart as he plans the intricacies of the world--and his plan is so good!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:34 AM

As for us, DD has a very bad sore throat and hoarse voice. We think it may be croup starting. We're trying all of the methods we can, but she just won't cough and clear some of the phlegm. Maybe it hurts too much or she just doesn't want to... I don't know. She's only been sick a couple of times so far, so I get really nervous about all of this.

I have wonderful news though: DD has been sleeping on her own, in her crib, averaging an 8-hour stretch each night (prior to getting sick)!! God has answered our cries for help and strengthened us and DD to accomplish the monumental task. She was sleeping on her own since Christmas, and I'm really hoping her sickness doesn't ruin that. DH and I slept in the bed together for the first time in about 9 months, and just the two of us for the first time since pre-pregnancy. Our marriage is already improving again because we have the time and space to talk, hug, and get restful sleep. We're so thankful to God!!

We don't have naps in the crib yet, but that's our next goal. However, her 3 naps each day have condensed to 1, maybe 2 since she's getting better night sleep.

We're amazed at the progress DD has made and are blown away by how quickly God can move. Thank you, ladies, for your prayers about this. God answered them mightily!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post

We do everything either at the church or wherever but with the church family. We are aspiring to become like the acts church. They met together daily. Were not there yet. But all holidays and celebrations are spent together as a family in Christ.
Speaking if holidays, the Lord is walking us into celebrating the Jewish holidays this year.Maybe you can share some traditions of yours naz?

Well. I think that the GOALS are to see Jesus/Yeshua in the holiday and just the Jewishness of Jesus. Jews for Jesus is a good staring place. They can come to your church and have a Passover seder. The book of John shows Jesus many times in the different Holiday. 

I read the Torah/ Haftarah / Brit Chadashah (NT) each week. I also have lots of information about Jesus in the holiday. I can send you the readings, and hoilday information if you like. (It would no problem at all) I could also post the reading for the week here?

Here is another resource-- Messianic Jewish Resources International www.MessianicJewish.net

I will share as each hoilday is coming up. LOVE to share the Jewishness of Jesus

Old 01-02-2014, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnyloveBC View Post

I have wonderful news though: DD has been sleeping on her own, in her crib, averaging an 8-hour stretch each night (prior to getting sick)!! God has answered our cries for help and strengthened us and DD to accomplish the monumental task. She was sleeping on her own since Christmas, and I'm really hoping her sickness doesn't ruin that. DH and I slept in the bed together for the first time in about 9 months, and just the two of us for the first time since pre-pregnancy. Our marriage is already improving again because we have the time and space to talk, hug, and get restful sleep. We're so thankful to God!!

:joy:joy:zzz Praise the Lord!!! He is so good!!!

I love the picture.

About the friend thing...I was thinking about it and I see how X has been a friend to me. It is Y that is giving me a problem. So I'm trying to workout how to deal with the whole thing. Funny how thing get to me. OH! I did talk to a woman at church about doing a Bible study together. Not sure how that will go. (people @ this church don't like me much) She will most likely be told to NOT study with me.

Edit to add- Hope DD feels better!!!

Old 01-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Skinny - DS1 battled the croup almost constantly for 4 years till we had him allergy tested. Turns out he was *very* allergic to dust mites. It was a constant trigger and had his immune system on high alert non stop, so every little cold turned into the croup. Eliminating carpet helped drastically in our case. I'm so sorry for DD getting sick. One thing I remember working pretty well was when an episode would happen at night, tsking him in the bathroom with the door closed, put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in the tub and run the shower straight hot, and get it really good and steamy, I always held DS because the steam was much thicker up high. Stay in there as long as possible then go outside for a min. That worked like a charm every time. Then I discovered homeopathic remedies. Belldonna 30 and Kali bic. 30 are the ones that worked for us.

Naz- I would love it for you to share! We have been looking at the promise of Jesus, "you will do ALL things I did, and greater" well all means all. As in, celebrations and holidays that He partook in. I have started a little studying on my own, which I plan to continue, but I would be thrilled for you to share some of your Jewish wisdom. I am curious to get my hands on a Jewish calendar. That's a real pity that the ladies at your church are like that towards you. Idk how feasible it is to do a study with us, but I would very much enjoy it smile.gif

Old 01-02-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

The web site above will have a calendar. I have a great messianic devotional that follows the Hebrew calendar. WHY do you want 1? If I might ask?

I will mail you some stuff from the devotional. Also are you using a book to study? 

www.jewishjewels.org is any other good one. They have lots of stuff.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 PM

I got the DVDs today! thank you!
The standard calendar that we go by today is based on the pagan religion. So to truly follow not only the Jewish holidays but also the true Sabbath, you would need a Jewish calendar. smile.gif Thanks for the links too

Old 01-03-2014, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Happy Friday :bouncy

The day from sundown to sundown

Hebrew calendar date Shevet 1 (1/2) Rosh Chodesh (new moon)

Moses proclaimed to Isrelites God's commandments (Deut 1:3)

The period between Shevat and Adar 7 is a time to renew one's love for the study of Torah and keeping God's commandments

Shevat 2 (1/3)

Torah reading - EX 10:1-13:16

Prophets - Jeremiah 46:13-28

NT - LK 2:22-24

John 19:31-37

ACTS 13:16-17

REV 8:6-9:12, 16:1-21

Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 AM

Nice! I will dig into those today!

Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to send you the information from my devotional. My husband is making the copies at work.

Hebrew calendar was changed by rabbis around the time of Ezra. Like the New Year is really in the spring. Nisan (passover) NOT the fall. And other things like that. So like today is 11th month NOT the 4th month. When looking a the Lord's time table you can see how Jesus fulfills the spring holiday 1st coming. THEN the fall holidays will be fulfilled later 2nd coming.  (I have a message about this I will see if I can find it.)

A good book is Yeshua: A guide to the REAL Jesus and the Original Church by DR. Ron Moseley. You can see if the library can get it for you.

OK. I will be quiet now.

Skinny- How is DD?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:02 PM

Cool, thank you so much for all your eager help! I really appreciate it. We will have a lot to study as our ladies group starts meeting again. We have even started doing some Hebrew worship songs, it was the tongue that Jesus spoke and its really inspirational.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2YyQoLkZ_g  Jonathan Settel has some of the best songs. This is what they said as Messiah enter Jersulem on the 10th of Nisan. (Palm Sunday)

I really love to talk about Jesus! Is your  group studying with a book?

Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

OH!! Just thought of this Lauren Winner is a good author to look-up. AND she is in NC

Old 01-03-2014, 04:07 PM

I'll google her. No, we haven't used any books other than the bible. I've done a little research on the internet.
The other thing we are really digging into is prophecy. As in, what the bible says and watching prophecies unfold before your very eyes, but also giving prophecies to one another. Its *such* a faith booster to become overwhelmed in the presence of the Holy Spirit, and hear Him speak, and just having the privilege of speaking things into a brother or sister's life. Or have them speak into yours. *That* never gets old!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:27 PM

Nazsmum, DD is doing a little better today. She's been so clingy and fussy though! I know it's just because she's sick but it's so exhausting. I'm praying for continued healing and recovery.

It's fun to read along about the Jewish traditions/culture/perspective! It doesn't seem possible to fully know Jesus without understanding HIS religion and traditions.

I have a totally off-topic question for you guys. Someday, DH and I would like to have another baby. I feel like it will probably be another girl, but there's always a 50% chance of a boy. The only time DH and I talked about circumcision, he said he would want a boy to be circumcised. He specifically referenced the bible in terms of reasoning. At the time, I agreed and we moved on. However, the more I know about circ, the less ok I am with it. What are your thoughts on it related to the bible? I'm really not very familiar with the teaching on it. But I was thinking it was an Old Testament rule, not New. Is that even true? Thanks for your input!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Skinny- Read Acts 15 and see if that helps. We live under the New Covenant. Jesus gives us freedom to follow Him.

Edit to add- Praying for DD

Old 01-04-2014, 10:05 AM

Yes, circ is a jewish requiment under the law, but as naz stated there is freedom from the law even for those who are Jewish by descent. I will find u the address when I'm done nursing LO,but Paul talks about circumsion of the heart. Its not a physical circ but a spiritual one. My 2 oldest DSs are circed. The first I didn't really give it any thought. The second I was questioning circ but everyone is highly opinionated on the topic and bullied me into doing it. I so wish I hadn't, his circ got botched, healed badly, and ultimately had to be redone after 2 years of almost constant yeast infections. After it was redone, OMGoodness! I was changing his diaper, he was crying so hard, there was no sound but he was just screaming that hard, and his whole body was shaking. At that point I swore if Iever had another DS he would be left intact. So DS3 is intact. DH gave me no arguments whatsoever as he is very familiar with Pauls teachings. Funny thing is my mom and MIL were the ones who tried to argue it, even saying, "well I thought you followed the bible" yes, yes I do, go read the new testament before you try to bring condemnation on me kwim. Then they tried to say "what will he think when he sees that his looks different than his dad and brothers?" Are u serious? Think about that, he's going to undoubtedly think "wow! I sure am glad you didn't let them cut the tip of mine off!" LOL
I will return shortly with pauls teaching on circ

Old 01-04-2014, 10:37 AM

Acts chap 15
Romans2:25-29 namely 29 "circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God"
Romans 3:30 " since there is one God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith"
1cor. 7:19 "Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters"
Gal 5:6 " For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love"

So its all about the heart condition. If for some reason you choose circ there is no condemnation in Christ, if you don't choose circ there's no condemnation in Christ. Make sure you and your DH are educated in your decision either way though. We are accountable for what we know.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Hey!! I need a gift idea for the pastor's wife. The church is having an after baby shower. I would like to get something for her. NEED ideas. Please. I don't know her very well.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:33 AM

I got DD a Sophie the Giraffe teether for Christmas. It's expensive for a teether ($12-15), but DD really likes it. It's natural rubber and squeaks. I wish I had gotten it for her when she was smaller. We've also really liked our Aiden+Anais sleep sack. It's a zip up and is just the right thickness to keep her warm but not overheated. We paid $14 for it, I think, at BRU.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:42 AM

Thank you both for the info. about circ. I'm looking forward to reading the recommended passages and being better informed. Honestly, my heart tells me (now) that it's not necessary and potentially really harmful. 3LilChunklins, I'm so sorry your son experienced so much pain and discomfort with his. That's heartbreaking.

I have a fun story to share about God and DD. When DH and I were engaged, I had a dream that I was at church introducing my beautiful baby girl to all of our friends. She had dark hair and clear blue eyes. From that moment on, I knew we'd be having a girl and what she would look like. It all happened exactly as it was in the dream. God is so good to us moms!!

DD is a little better. I've been using a vaporizer, shower steam and eucalyptus oil--thanks for the suggestion, 3Lil! I couldn't find the individual herbs you mentioned, but I got a Hyland's cough syrup. That seems to help her quite a bit. Thank you both for your prayer!
Old 01-05-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

OH she has SSSSOOOO much stuff for the baby. They already had a shower for the "inner circle" before the baby. So I would like to get something for MOM. I feel like the baby get so much and the mom not so much

I am so far form the inner circle:mischief

Old 01-05-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

skinny- 3Lil did give a few verses up thread #25. I really think that it comes down to a personal thing.

User Tag List