Unitarian Universalist 2014 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, UU's!

A search turned up a handful of UU threads, but with conversations going back several months, sometimes years; I'm hoping this can be a catch-all/chat/get-to-know-you/deepen-our-spirituality-together thread for 2014. Any takers? :o

Maybe we can start with a little roll call and intro with some umph: if you're so moved, tell a bit about yourself, tell what brought you to UU, and tell what keeps you here. Newcomers can feel free to add this any time, even as the year progresses. 

>(~      <------ That's supposed to be a lit chalice! Welcome, all, and thank you for sharing your light here and in the world. 

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ― Howard Thurman
#2 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

MarieHoney's intro:

I'm a homeschooling mom to two sons, 5 and 8. I work part-time religious educator and OWL (Our Whole Lives) Sexuality Education instructor at a small UU congregation. My favorite things in the world include reading great chapterbook bedtime stories, doing yoga, walking in the woods, swimming in freshwater, writing poems, growing veggies, d.i.y.'ing, and geeking-out over any number of new interests/obsessions. 

I came to UU first through a community knitting group that met at the UU church in Tallahassee, Florida, where I was then living, and then through OWL, a curriculum I fell in love with while teaching at a small, private middle school, and that linked healthy, life-affirming sexuality and spirituality in a way that I never knew possible. 

What keeps me a UU is the the culture of learning--a constant focus on growing one's edges, spiritual, intellectual, and interpersonal, especially. I am challenged daily to love deeper, welcome more radically, search with more discerning eyes, and understand myself, others, and the world more fully. That, and I'm a sucker for a chalice! I love gathering with others in love and intention around a flame, holding sacred space, and sharing the journey.

Thanks for reading. I'm really looking forward to talking with more of you, especially where parenting/to-be parenting and UU meet.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” ― Howard Thurman
#3 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 09:48 AM

My husband and i had a little one in September. We live in northern California with our dog and my chickens. My husband stays home and i work in a funeral home.
I've been a uu since i was 20, over 10 years. I went to seminary as well but am discerning whether I want to be a minister. I have taught re, owl, and led small group ministry. I recently started attending a different congregation. My LO and I attend every week. My husband stays home. I wish he'd go with me but he was burnt by a conservative Christian church when he was younger. I was raised Lutheran but in high school realized i didn't need jesus to save me. I was drawn toward uuism for its social justice stance and the ability to remain in the church as my beliefs change and grow.
#4 of 21 Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 PM

I was a revolting Catholic in my late teens. I was raised by parents who were quite active in church (dad was an ex-priest--oh the scandal, mom!) thus it was a big part of life and sort-of awful for me when I said "hold on. Wait a minute. What about these guys over here?" We were only one generation away from folks telling their kids "don't play with any of the non-Catholics at school", so you can only imagine the feedback I got when I wanted to discuss other religions with my mom or other churchy folk. Ironically, it was Dad who encouraged me to explore the others, but of course for him Catholicism has always made the most sense.

So, when a bouncy dreadlocked kid came up to me and said "you look like a really openminded and cool person" and sat down chatting me up about school and such, right outside the uni student center, we became instantly friendly. She had a brochure, would you believe it, one that I've not seen since, but it had the UU principles on it. One thing really struck me. "This isn't for everyone". Bingo. Sold. I never saw that girl again. As the years passed, I found myself quite content with a philosophy about the world that probably fell right into UU ideas, but wasn't interested in community. I was on a roll, moving every few months. It was just too hard to keep saying goodbye so I didn't begin connections with people often. I said "some day if I have kids this will be the type of group I would want them exposed to."

When dd was gestating, I joined the local UU congregation, sat on the board, connected finally with people. She bfed through every Sunday, hung out in the backpack while I made coffee and such, and then when she was 2 we moved out of state. We tried again, but at the time she was old enough for RE, but a little too squirrely to be with me. Problem--she was spending all week in daycare and was just.not.interested in hanging out in another similar environment on Sundays. Alas, someday perhaps we'll get back to a congregation. She's in virtual Girl Scouts and when there's a faith-oriented thing we stick to UU stuff, and we have the UU curriculum for RE with us, but only loosely run along with it. Since we live a nomadic life, now and again I'll see there's a UU around on the road, and once in a while we stop in, have a coffee, get momma's brain stimulated. (I often say the big draw for me is that church is coffee-infused brain-candy...always some very interesting intellectual thing being discussed with compassion, and I love that.)

Anyway, great idea to start a thread! 

#5 of 21 Old 01-05-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

OceanSolitude, my husband stays home, too. Or, he'll come to church, but to take our kids out on the lawn or up into the memorial garden to play during service. We're not quite at the "true multigenerational services" point yet, so my boys don't get a lot out of the worship hour. But, we like doing UU our way, at home, and that works well for us now.

Lana, I totally hear you on the daycare/classroom vibe of RE; that turns my kids off, too. I read something recently about one congregation's "playground ministry," a nice-weather outdoor playgroup where conversation was loose and open to being interrupted by games of tags and pleas to tie shoes, but focused more or less on spiritual, ethical, and justice topics. As soon as I get the go-ahead to get a playground built at this church, I want to start one of those!

#6 of 21 Old 01-06-2014, 09:23 AM

Hello, we have been attending our local UU since ds was a baby.    Most recently, ds has been participating in the OWL program and really likes it.  He is totally willing to attend on OWL nights, but rarely on a Sunday.   I have a hard time keeping the kids going with it and I think it is because dh has no interest in it.  We do like the OWL program from the parents as well as the kids perspective.

#7 of 21 Old 01-14-2014, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
We started going to our local UU church last spring, went sporadically over the summer, and pretty regularly since school started. We are really happy there and I'm thinking about becoming a member and signing the book. My kids really like their RE classes. They don't have a school-y feel at all and are very interactive. They also spend a lot of time outdoors. We have a multigenerational service once a month. Our interim minister is terrific and does a great multiage service. The prior minister's were boring for the kids, and mine never wanted to be there.

My first grader is starting the OWL program next week. We had the orientation the other day and I was pretty impressed. One of the teachers is an AP mom, and overall, our church is pretty AP friendly.
#8 of 21 Old 01-24-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

I love the OWL program. I'm certified to teach 7-12, but I'd love to go back and pick up the K-1 and 4-6 certifications, too. Honestly, I think it's one of the most important things UU R.E. does. My own kids missed the K-1 class, and I've wondered why there isn't a 2-3 version...

Our elementary-aged classes participated in a "Flat Francis" project with a handful of other RE classes across the country (and in the Philippines!). It was based on the "Flat Stanley" projects popular in many elementary schools, but with the character being Francis David, the 16th century Universalist monk. They had the best time touring Flat Francis all around "their" church, and it made me so happy to see so much ownership, confidence, and joy.

Do any of you have UU practices or rituals at home? We have a simple homemade chalice that we light whenever we have sit-down dinners (maybe three or four nights a week). And if the mood is right, we go around sharing "thankfuls" at that time. But I'd love to hear what others do.

#9 of 21 Old 01-24-2014, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was raised in the small town Methodist church that my mother had gone to as a child. They were lovely and warm, and truly good people, and I was pretty involved in the church as a kid, but, somehow, they accidently raised an agnostic. I left college realizing that my basic philosophy boiled down to "if there's a [christian] god, we should take care of each other because that's what he says to do; if there's no god, we should take care of each other because we're all we've got." Believing or not believing seemed fairly unimportant, given that I came to the same conclusion as to how to live my life either way, and I settled into being a happily areligious agnostic for a few years, finding my community in other ways, although when asked about my religious beliefs, I identified as "probably pretty much a Unitarian Universalist."

I had encountered the OWL curriculum in the context of better sex ed while living in the abstinence-education-only hellscape that is Texas (for grad school), and was really entranced by the idea of whole life sexuality education (and as a queer woman, especially by its inclusiveness around sexual orientation and gender identity). It meshes really strongly not only with the way I want to raise my own child(ren), but with my personal sense of social justice.

So, fast forward to two years ago: I had just turned 34 and moved across the country to a fairly small community, one I hope to be in for some time to come. Also, I had started thinking seriously about trying to have a baby on my own, so, I was really aware that I needed to build a community, sooner rather than later. I thought I might meet some likeminded types at the UU Church. Little did I know!

My first time attending the church, I was telling the very friendly welcome table guy that I loved kids and really loved the idea of OWL, and he said, "Oh, you have to talk to S [RE Director], we're about to do an OWL training here at the church." Well, I'm now trained as an instructor for K-1/4-6 OWL, taught my first K-1 OWL class last year, have been running the church's nursery for the past year and half, and have been doing small group ministry for the past year. Oh, and I'm signed up for the Adult OWL training at our church in March; I'm super-excited for that! Since I run the nursery, I've been to max four services in almost two years as part of this church, and I love it that way. I've found the connection and community I was looking for by getting involved and pitching in in ways that fulfill me. I've made good friends and feel like I'm building the support network that I want, and that I will need as a single mom. And, I hope I'm building a community where my kids can grow and thrive, the way that I grew and thrived in a spiritual community when I was a kid, but with more room for their individual beliefs.

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
#10 of 21 Old 02-03-2014, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Do any of y'all ever check out the online Church of the Larger Fellowship services? The one this week really connected with me, as a UU parent. It's on Sundays at 8 p.m. and Mondays at 9 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. (all EST). My kids sometimes sit and watch parts with me, sometimes not. Kind of depends on what they're doing and how catchy the music is! But I like having the words and music swirling around the house for those 30-40 minutes. I always get something out of it!

#11 of 21 Old 03-04-2014, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Thanks for the link! I was raised UU, as was my father, and my mom was a survivor of the catholic school system. I attended when I lived at home, and not much since. We've gone to our local church, but I'm having trouble figuring out DD-management during that time- she's 2.5 and she won't stay with the babysitters there. This might be just what I needed to get back into it.
#12 of 21 Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Joining this thread so I will be more inclined to follow it.

Hoping to deepen my spirituality this year with y'all.

Love and Light!

fly-by-nursing1.gif  :hs   neg.gif   broc1.gif

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.   namaste.gif  ribbonpb.gif  joy.gif
#13 of 21 Old 03-07-2014, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My first grader is really enjoying her OWL classes. There's only a few weeks left.

I am going to take the plunge and become a member. It's a big leap for me, but I think it's right for our family.
#14 of 21 Old 03-07-2014, 12:59 PM

My little one is still in the nursery, but she associates UUism, church, the flaming chalice, etc. with friends. One of her first really complex sentences was, "I like to go to church because I get to see all my friends there." I'm glad the whole "loving community" idea gets through to a three year old.

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.   namaste.gif  ribbonpb.gif  joy.gif
#15 of 21 Old 03-07-2014, 01:07 PM

MarieHoney, thanks for the link to CLF. I need to check it out, because I honestly didn't know they had a website. I came to UUism, at my husband's urging, when my daughter was an infant. He discovered UUism in his late teens, but fell away for a while in his 20s. I'm still learning about some of the finer points of UUism. ;)

We have a homemade felt chalice hanging in our living room. We also light a chalice for family meals, before meditation, etc. Every night, we sing a few hymns as part of our bedtime ritual. We also have a few kid-friendly books on UU faith and traditions, and make a point to read those about once a week, and discuss things like the 7 principles, what loving community means, etc.

#16 of 21 Old 03-11-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post
We've gone to our local church, but I'm having trouble figuring out DD-management during that time- she's 2.5 and she won't stay with the babysitters there.

So glad you're here, Ratchet. My now-5 year old is *just* beginning to stay in the nursery happily. But he wants nothing to do with the classes yet. His brother, 8, was the same; about 6-7, he really got excited about being in a group of kids with a couple of friendly adult facilitators who weren't his parents. This year has been a really good experience for us, and I was glad to have waited until it felt right for him, even though that meant that my husband and my entree into church life was rather hit and miss for those few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemieprincess View Post

Joining this thread so I will be more inclined to follow it.

Hoping to deepen my spirituality this year with y'all.

Love and Light!

fly-by-nursing1.gif  :hs   neg.gif   broc1.gif

Preemieprincess, so glad you're here! A friend of mine who coordinates worship at the UU here recently passed along a website full of poems that she often draws opening and closing readings from. I would not have guessed that this would have been what most powerfully spoke to me in the past several months, but some of the poems here have really done it: http://www.bemindful.org/poemsb.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post

My first grader is really enjoying her OWL classes. There's only a few weeks left.

I am going to take the plunge and become a member. It's a big leap for me, but I think it's right for our family.

YAY, Polliwog! Good for you! Does your congregation have a new member ceremony? If so, I'd love to hear about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by preemieprincess View Post

My little one is still in the nursery, but she associates UUism, church, the flaming chalice, etc. with friends. One of her first really complex sentences was, "I like to go to church because I get to see all my friends there." I'm glad the whole "loving community" idea gets through to a three year old.

I just finished reading the book "Fifteen Ways to Grow a Lifelong UU" by Kate Erslev Tweedie. I had mixed feelings about the title; my focus is 100% on growing happy, healthy, spiritually whole PEOPLE, whether they choose to be UU as adults or not. But that said, I found the ideas in here to be much more in line with that same goal, just a way to coach UU parents, churches, and religious educators on HOW to make that happen for kids withing the very inclusive and celebratory community of UUism. And the #1 thing that kept children in the UU church as young adults and adults? A sense of belonging and community. Hands down. Parties and pageants and camping trips and such were high up there, too, but that "loving community" piece was at the top of every list.

Are any of y'all participating in the "Practicing Lent 2014" project? It's a photo-a-day of different concepts each day: love, connection, struggle, today's is laughter... I've been participating and following along. Some of the entries are really cool! My boys aren't so into it this year, but I think next year, with a little more time to prepare for it, I could get them to give it a try:

http://practicinglent.tumblr.com/HowItWorks

#17 of 21 Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Any recommendations for 7 principles kids books?
#18 of 21 Old 05-16-2014, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Ratchet, did you find a 7 Principles book that you liked?

Here's a link of many from the UUA Bookstore (which is closed tomorrow while they move the UUA Headquarters from one place in Boston to another!): http://www.uuabookstore.org/showproducts.cfm?Step=1&FullCat=162

I personally have "Sunday and Every Day" and "Unitarian Universalism is a Really Long Name," and like both.

So, a friend is passing around this kickstarter video, which I was quite touched by, for a start-up congregation in Brooklyn. This congregation is very comfortable with God language, and not all UU's find that that speaks to them, but I think the bigger message here of what their church is and what UUism can do for the world is quite special: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/original-blessing-fundraising-campaign

Meanwhile, how's everyone doing?

I was sitting in church the other day in the few minutes before service began, and flipping through the readings section of the hymnal, found this:

Love is not Concerned

by Alice Walker

love is not concerned
with whom you pray
or where you slept
the night you ran away
from home
love is concerned
that the beating of your heart
should kill no one

It's one of my very favorite UU things, the wide and unusual net cast out to collect and bring in "wisdom."

Hope y'all are having a great week!

#19 of 21 Old 05-20-2014, 09:58 AM

Hello, fellow UU Mamas!

We joined our UU church 4 years ago and have since become very involved (doesn't take long, does it?) ;)

I'm currently teaching and writing the RE curriculum based on the small group themes of the month - the worship service also follows the themes, so children and adults are talking about the same things on Sunday.  It's so rewarding, and I love hearing the thoughts that the little ones have about the themes, principles, sources, etc. They are very wise people ;)

It's nice to see other UUs here - sometimes in my area I feel like the only one who's even heard of it.

All good things <3

#20 of 21 Old 05-25-2014, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, PhillyMama!

One of my good friends is currently the director of religious education at Main Line in Devon.

I love working with themes! The congregation here where I am has moved away from it, but the children and I learned a lot from tying in what we were doing with what the "Big Church" upstairs was doing. Plus it's such a flexible model. Myl favorite theme was "love." We did it last year for the 30 Days of Love campaign, and were able to get really creative with it.

Is anyone attending or planning on following General Assembly this year? The past several years, I've tuned in to watch the lectures and some of the services online. And they record and upload to YouTube some of the best workshops! This one, on doing the "Wonder Box" technique for the Time for All Ages, is a favorite. There's not been one close enough to me for me to be able to attend before, but my husband has family in New Orleans, so I am eyeing 2017 (when my babe-in-the-womb will then be 2-going-on-3, so I may be nuts to think a major conference is a good idea?!).

Finally, I found on Pinterest today UU author Michelle Richard's board on UU Parenting. Some good visual inspiration there, as only Pinterest can provide!

#21 of 21 Old 07-03-2014, 12:57 PM

Hello everyone!

I attend a UU Church. I had attended many years ago in another state but recently started going again as my DH (agnostic) thought it might be a good place to accomodate our spiritual but not religious beliefs. The kids love the RE. DH is lukewarm on the services as he wants a message, parable type service but without God talk. I enjoy most services, and I just like the feeling of community. I hope to become more involved and we definitely would be more involved if we didn't live so far from the closest UU Church.

I love some of the ideas about bringing the chalice into the home as a point of reflection!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page