Christian moms FEB '14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 233 Old 02-01-2014, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

See what love the Father has lavished on us in letting us be called God's children! For that is what we are. The reason the world does not know us is that it has not known him.  Dear friends, we are God's children now; and it has not yet been made clear what we will become. We do know that when he appears, we will be like him; because we will see him as he really is.

1 JOHN 3:1-2

AllyFolsom likes this.
#2 of 233 Old 02-01-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I cannot believe it's already February!!! My LO4 will be turning 1 later this month, I seriously can't believe how fast time flies! I wonder what the Lord has in store for us this month orngbiggrin.gif

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#3 of 233 Old 02-01-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

We will see! Went to my brother's today. It was nice to see him.

#4 of 233 Old 02-02-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

My friend is going to present the Oils of the Bible at my church. They asked me to do the devotion.bigeyes.gif Don't get me wrong I have no problem with it. But in a way I feel like why?

glasses-- if you are around let me know if you want to go...

#5 of 233 Old 02-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Devotion as in prayer or lesson?
Either way you should feel honored! It was the Lord that chose you, He just used a person to reveal His plan.
What are you thinking to do the devotion on?

He's definitely leading my family in a direction that I never ever imagined. Often it seems that when He first reveals His path, it's difficult for us to embark on the venture He has prepared for us. Walking by faith and not sight is NOT easy. Every time I think I've got it all figured out and I'm being obedient and submitted to His will, He shows me something else that I have to change. Always growing,maturing, and following His voice wherever He leads. As they say, "You've never arrived until you've arrived!"

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

#6 of 233 Old 02-02-2014, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

OH! a lesson. I have an idea. I will let you "hear" it after I plan it out.

#7 of 233 Old 02-03-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

MY DRYER DIED help.gif Just called to have someone to look at it. Please pray this is something simple.

#8 of 233 Old 02-03-2014, 08:33 AM

Oh no! Praying for you! I know I would be up a creek without a paddle if my dryer died. Maybe you could use a clothes line in the meantime ...

So DH is contemplating building an addition on our house. An actual upstairs! I've always asked him if he ever added on if he could add an upstairs, and he always said that it couldn't be done. He will have to pour an actual foundation first. (It was a single wide trailer, that he turned into a double wide "trouse" trailer/house) We'll see what material freebies he can get from work but the rest will be a nice way to invest our tax return.
I'm pretty sure the Lord is leading us to have more children. I talked to DH about it and he listened but didn't respond much. I asked the Lord that if its His will that DH and I will be on the same page. And that day he came home from work took out graph paper and his ruler and started drawing plans for an addition on our house... kinda exciting and terrifying at the same time!

#9 of 233 Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

That brings up a good question. Birth control- what are your feelings? I have been around women that feel like all B/c ALL is wrong. Then the opposite. 

I feel like I'm 40 and don't want anymore. But on the other hand I feel like is it really up to me?? I go back and forth.

Right now I don't worry to much because I don't see my husband to much :rotflmao

sorry for mistakes. DD is all over me

#10 of 233 Old 02-03-2014, 09:45 AM

Well that's pretty much where this whole thing started. Last Thursday the pastor said something about the women examining themselves to make sure we are not harboring feminist attitudes. Of course, I was on my high horse, like "I'm a submissive wife, I know I'm not a feminist. I know my place in Gods order and don't over step it" well I kept feeling like, there's something, something I'm not seeing. So I asked The Lord to reveal my heart. And I want to be His servant, whatever the cost, just lead me, and I will follow.
This lead to a very uncomfortable place for me. I realize now, at least for me, birth control is wrong. I researched it and before the 1930s birth control was illegal in the US. Birth control and feminism were born in the same era, they go hand in hand.
There are so many verses that show its God who opens or closes the womb, countless verses on how children are gifts and blessings, and how God is the One who forms and shapes and knits a child together in the womb.
I think we as a church have been infiltrated. We believe a certain number of children is a blessing but beyond that they are a "curse". If I claim to be living in renewal of the mind, I better begin to see every child as a gift. If I claim to live by faith and not by sight, why do I need to control everything? If I really believe that if I seek first the Kingdom all these things will be added unto me, then what am I worried about?
Its coming down to a matter of faith and obedience for us.
It is the Master who decided how many talents the servants get to steward.

#11 of 233 Old 02-03-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I know a woman whom just had #10. She told me she is done. Just done. I know where she is coming from. She is a few years older then me and I just feel the same.

I know what you are saying. For me I'm not trying to fight God. I'm just trying to stop some heart break. My m/c was very hard on me. My body and mind.

#12 of 233 Old 02-03-2014, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

not sure if this is going to work...LOVE this picture

#13 of 233 Old 02-03-2014, 12:57 PM

It worked alright!

Yes 10 kids, I'm sure I would feel done too. That's why this step is so terrifying!!!! I just have to not overthink it. It always seems to be that way with faith. Faith usually defies logic. So to sit around and try to make it make sense just destroys my faith. Once I know where I'm called I have a choice - obedience or disobedience.And obedience requires faith!

#14 of 233 Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

I believe that the Lord will lead you and husband to do what is right. Hey! How is that list coming? (working with the couple/ your husband told you to make a list?)

#15 of 233 Old 02-03-2014, 02:56 PM

Its kinda funny actually, none of us made a list.... So we never had the discussion that I thougt we were. It might be for the best at least for now. All their problems are from years ago, so instead were attempting forgive and forget since your spouse is a new creation, you cannot hold it against them for the things their old creature did.
DH explained having gaurd rails in your marriage and making a family rules poster to hang up as a reminder... So we shall see how this goes

#16 of 233 Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 PM

Good afternoon! Did you get to watch the debate Naz? How was it? I didn't get a chance to...
Skinny are you out there? How's your DH?

#17 of 233 Old 02-04-2014, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ok, sorry for the absence. DH had stitches out today and a hard cast put on. Three weeks of that and then physical therapy to get strength and range of motion back.

RE: Shane Claiborne, I would recommend Irresistible Revolution to get an idea of his perspective. He's really in favor of going back to biblical roots in all facets of life, much like 3Lil. I like his (seemingly) radical beliefs, and I think my "political" mindset is most in line with his. I put it in quotes because my political views do NOT match the stereotypical Christian's. That leads me to another neat book by him--Jesus for President. He grounds everything he says in scripture and includes the whole verse as a footnote so it's easy to reference. Some people really dislike his lifestyle but I think it's admirable.

RE: birth control, I think it's to each her own. I'm against hormonal BC because of the hormones, primarily. 3Lil, I can definitely see your point about trusting in God to plan all facets of our lives, but I'm definitely not being called yet to take that step of faith. I also wonder (and this is not snarky or insincere--it's the place I came to after thinking on the question), how do we choose between rejecting and utilizing available resources? For example, seat belts. If I'm trusting God completely, do I leave mine off knowing that the outcome of an accident is up to him? Did he provide us with seat belts? Did he provide us with BC?? I don't know... Tough questions. For me, some sort of NFP seems like a good fit. My marriage is just now starting to recover after the difficulties of having a child. We could probably still exist and maybe even thrive if we added another to the mix, but I'm not comfortable sacrificing the health of my marriage again right now. Biblically, my relationship with DH comes before my relationship with DD. Without a healthy marriage, we can't have a healthy family. So if some sort of birth control helps us to keep improving as a family, I'm all for it. I'm also a strong believer in God giving us a heart for the things he has in mind for us. I don't have a heart for another child right now, so I don't feel like BC is going against God's will.

Those are just my thoughts. :-)
#18 of 233 Old 02-04-2014, 01:24 PM

And I'm wholeheartedly a feminist. :-) I see it as equal opportunity, which I'm all for, and the belief that women can be strong, capable, respected, supportive servants of God and our husbands. We were taught at our churches (we moved so for a while, we kind of had two) that women are called to serve the husband and God and husbands are called to serve God and lead their family according to God's will. So husbands are servants, too. Meaning that God sees DH and I as having the same value but in different roles/purposes. So feminism is just as special as masculinity. And women having a voice and worth in our world in whatever avenue they choose to express it is very important to me.

Not sure if all of that makes sense. Trying to spit it out during a nap. :-)
#19 of 233 Old 02-04-2014, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

I think that the debate is tonight....I on the run. Will be back later.

Good to see you skinny

#20 of 233 Old 02-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Haha, 3Lil, I think we posted around the same time. I didn't see your post until just now. Thank you for asking about him! He's doing ok mood-wise. Sick of being one-handed, but at least it's not his dominant hand.
#21 of 233 Old 02-04-2014, 03:49 PM

Glad to hear he's on the mend skinny! IDK if you and I define feminism the same. I do have the same worth as a man and I am equal to him. But God has an order. It goes God is the head of Jesus, Jesus is the head of man, man is the head of woman. The wife is to submit to her husband as to Christ. So to me, feminism is trying to rule over my husband. Indeed, God made Adam, and He saw the man was not complete, so He created woman to be the man's help mate.

The whole seat belt thing, that sounds to me like testing the Lord your God, which we are specifically told not to do. I truly don't believe b/c is from God to better ourselves. It is the invention of man to attempt to control their life/will apart from God.
Last year was the first year my family did not set up a Christmas tree. We are purging all things that are displeasing to God and all things with worldly roots. B/c has worldly roots. So its gotta go.
He might not call everyone to walk where my family walks, but I guess that's why we carry the standard for the tribe of Judah. Its definitely not gonna be easy, but He never said it would be.

#22 of 233 Old 02-04-2014, 04:48 PM

Skinny sorry if I came across snappy. I didn't mean for the tone of that post to be unfriendly. I'm just explaining how I came to this decision. If NFP is working for you and you don't feel convicted about it then I suppose your fine.
I was already being convicted by the Holy Spirit so a little research was all it took to bring me to this place. To quench the Spirit is a sin.
I believe part of maturing in Christ is challenging your walk and getting more and more on the straight and narrow. I know if the Lord automatically called me to this walk when I first got born again I would not have been able to stand here let alone try to walk it out. But His mercy and grace was to allow me to grow in Him and grow my faith to bring me here. The trials of life I've already been through and seen His faithfulness always carry me through has convinced me that there is nothing impossible for my God. Its only when I rely on His strength that I have accomplished anything, simply to be a willing vessel and allow His will to govern my life.

#23 of 233 Old 02-04-2014, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Skinny- I first want to give your husband a :Hug. I broke my foot and it was very hard!!!

I wanted to say something?? I forget. I will try to remember. THINK I NEED BED

#24 of 233 Old 02-04-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

OH!!! I remember:nut I wanted to say-- women & the New Covenant is very misunderstood. Not sure that I can explain right now. I will try.

I do think that we as women are under Jesus then DH. But I do think that we are treated unfair in many churches. Jesus had many women that followed and even $$ His ministry. Jesus ask a woman to tell his disiples that he was alive.

I believe in more of a house church. More like the book of Acts. I don't like that way that things are in many churches. (It is hard to explain here) I do believe that women can be elders. NOT sure about pastors. (they can have the gift, not sure about leading the church)

OK this is just me. I am not trying to start a debate. I just want to show my point of view as far a women's role in the world/church.

#25 of 233 Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 PM

I would love to hear your view on women in the new covenant!
I totally agree on the house churches. And yes certain churches are unfair to women.
I think women can teach /preach but IMO only to other women. If a woman has authority over the men then that church is out of order...

#26 of 233 Old 02-05-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LilChunklins View Post

I think women can teach /preach but IMO only to other women.

This I disagree with. I think if you have the gift of teaching then you can teach men. I don't think that so many men/women should be teaching. It seams to me that every and their mother wants to teach. (Just what I have seen)

I also think that the gift of pastor is misunderstood. (Not sure that I understand it all myself) Elder is explained in 1 Timothy 3:1 says -- Here is a statement you can trust: anyone aspiring to be a congregation leader is seeking worthwhile work. Paul goes on to explain what the person must be like. NOT man or woman. (this is true to the greek) Here is another thing along these lines...Does a pastor NEED school? Again not to sure about this.

One thing that i see about women in the NT -- Mary sitting at Jesus feet. Never would a woman sit at a Rabbi's feet. NEVER. But Jesus does not tell her to get up. He teachers her. Even her sister is like "what's up?" But Jesus "she has choosen the better part" To me this flyes in the face of "what a woman is to do"

So the reason that I'm writting this because their are many question that are not cut and dry. Like voting, birth control, style of worship, and so on. If we are under Messiah then we are sister and brothers. We can talk about these things and still see things from our point of view.

OK, I will be quiet now. Love you ladies:joy 

#27 of 233 Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 AM

Very interesting!
Yes, there's a lot of topics that appear that way in the bible. They are *always* topics that are NOT make it or break it as far as salvation is concerned. And sometimes believers have to agree to disagree on certain points as long we all can agree that Jesus died on the cross and rose again 3 days later.
Here's my understanding -
Jesus did give special place and regard to women. Which in those days was a radical lifestyle. So this proves that women are equal to men as far as personal worth in the eyes of the Lord.
But none of the women were referred to as disciples... there were 12 and they were all male.
Then we get into Pauls books.. he specifically says for women not to *speak* in church.
He also gives the order of authority.
And where he is describing the elders and deacons I believe he says "the *husband* of one wife..." so that would lead me to believe it is a role created for men...
The gift of teaching is as real as all the others BUT Paul also gives the order for how gifts are to be used. (If someone in speaking in tongues there must be an intrepreter.. etc... for God is not a God of disorder but of order) so it is my understanding that if a woman has authority over men then it is out of order.

Then about the whole going to school thing... the word says the disciples were ordinary uneducated men. God uses the foolish to confound the wise. It is God who calls and ordains, NOT man. I realize ppl do go to school and get ordained but it isn't necessary. If God calls you He will qualify you. Bottom line!

I don't want anything to get too heated. So if we have to agree to disagree then we shall. As long as we all agree that Jesus is Lord!

#28 of 233 Old 02-05-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't want anything to get too heated. So if we have to agree to disagree then we shall. As long as we all agree that Jesus is Lord!

Not heated. I respect your points. I just wanted to explain my point of view.

#29 of 233 Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

But none of the women were referred to as disciples... there were 12 and they were all male.

Just something to "chew on" Luke 10:1 are all of them men? We do not know?

#30 of 233 Old 02-05-2014, 12:53 PM

Interesting discussion! 3Lil, no worries, you didn't sound snappy! I appreciate you willing to chat about it and recognize differences as well as similarities in our perspective. I remember you saying in the 2013 thread, that not everyone is called to walk the same walk at the same time and not everyone is given the same convictions. Thank you for sharing that. It sounds like a very content place to be that allows you to respond to the Lord's call without judging others or feeling discontent with his calling. I'm trying to adopt the same view! :-)

Naz, I think I share your perspective. I also see women playing such prominent roles in families and think it's awesome how God creates teachers in all of us when we have babies. Especially the homeschooling mamas! So admirable to me. Our old church (a Vineyard church) invited the wives of the head pastors to speak periodically. DH and I really liked most of their talks and were glad they did it.

It does seem that most gifted pastors are men, but that's ok. We women have such a profound impact with our children and husbands "at home" (I don't mean literally only at home though) that it would be too hard on our men's pride if we also led the congregation! Lol.

My soul-felt definition of feminism is what the New Testament depicts. To me, it's not about taking roles that aren't intended for us just to prove we can or being hyper-sexualized supposedly for our own benefit, like I see a lot of in our world now. It's about answering God's call wherever it leads us (even if it's in front of a congregation) and not being afraid to choose Jesus over the world.

I agree with 3Lil that we all know and love Jesus and that's what matters, and I second Naz--love you guys too! It's fun tackling these more sticky topics sometimes because it broadens our awareness of others' opinions. DH and I learned in pre-marriage counseling at church that the point of arguing (or discussing) should be to gain insight into the other person's perspective. It's NOT about winning or losing. :-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page