The Official 2014 Treasure Map - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 53 Old 03-30-2014, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, 

We are here!!  

Hooray.  We finally got to Treasure Map 2014. 

WHAT IS A TREASURE MAP?

A treasure map is a collage made of photos, magazines pictures, words, affirmations, pieces of things that make sense to you.  You put these images on a foam core board or just cardboard or just something strong that can handle the collage...you put them all together so you can look at it...it will be a MAP of what you want for the coming year.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN, "what do I want for the coming year?"

Exactly what it says. Do you want a new house, a new job, a larger income, a new living room, better health, stronger marriage, reconnect with people, a bigger family, a bigger community? Do you want to write your book? Do you want a new car? What is it you want?

Do you even know what you want? If you are like many of us, you are so busy running around, taking care of everyone else that you might not have a fig of an idea what you want for your new year...that is the beauty of this process. You must sit down and figure it out...give yourself this time to do it. Be just that selfish and dare to dream.

Why do we do it now and not January?

Treasure Maps are made during the Aries new moon. Aries new moon change from year to year and this year, 2014 it will take place on March 30 at 2:44pm EDT

The maps are made on Aries new moon, because that is the first sign of the zodiac. Aries is when you plant your seeds. It is the real beginning of the New Year. It should not be confused with the first day of spring, which was on March 20.   New moon means the sun and moon are in the same degree. For those who don't know much about astrology (which is totally okay) Aries is the sign of SIGHT. So, that's why it is so important to have pictures of what you want. You need to visualize it. Or if you don't do photos/pictures.. Put up words. It is just important for you to SEE THEM.

So, I'm going to be busy on  March 30 can I start it before the 30th?

NO.

Do I have to buy a bunch of magazines, I'm broke, can I just borrow some old ones from friends

Personally, when I started my treasure maps I always did them with fresh new magazines. And in the old days, (not married, no children) I spent a lot of dough on them because I wanted lots of choices. But with time, I now only get a few magazines. I never borrowed magazines from friends however I know that there are people who did it in previous years and they were happy with their results. So, it really is your call. But if you do borrow them make sure they are put away until March 30th so they are fresh to you on that date.  And of course downloading photos from the internet is very helpful.

What if I don't want magazine photos, can I just use my own pictures.. like my husband, my baby etc?

Sure. I usually scanned or color xeroxed them so that I would not wreck my originals.

You can also paint what you want. Again it is your call.

Do I only focus on things?

Heck no! I would also encourage you to focus on  Affirmations like “I’m abundant” or “I am always feeling loved” “My health is vibrant.” “My partner and I are always growing closer.”

Is there any pattern I have to use when I put the photos or the words on my board?

No you can do it anyway you want.

I will say that in previous years my friends and I used to use the feng shui baguas for my pattern. Basically I would break up the board into 9 areas. A grid like this:

1-abundance
2-fame/reputation
3-relationship
4-family
5-health
6-creativity
7-self-knowledge (and travel)
8-work
9-helpful people and angels.

If you use the feng shui baguas, you will naturally cover most all areas of your life..as you can see it is all represented. But again, you don’t have to do it that way.  Some people have even made round boards.  

Can I build a cyber map?

Many mappers are more comfortable with cyber maps, which are always on their computer.

And they have had success.   Again, it is your call, do what your heart calls you to do.

How much time do I have to build my map?

Ideally you should build your map during the new phase of Aries, which this year would be between:

March 30 (2:44pm EDT) and April 3 (5:03pm EDT )

If you can’t do it in the first 3 days then try to get done before first quarter moon, which is April 7 at 4:30am EDT

If you can’t get it done in by April 7

Then get it done by April 15 3:42am

If you can’t get it done by that date---then skip it this year.

Do I have to do it alone or can I do it with friends?

You can do it either way. I build mine with my 2 other friends. We are like family and it felt so right to do it with them. We started them together. I know that there are several people who have little parties where they invite those close to them over. I will say this, it is a lot of fun to do maps with friends--we would all pass around the magazines.. "Hey, I found a great beach bungalow does anyone need a beach vacation? Or it would be, "I have got to lose 10 pounds, any ideas what I should put on my map?" and low and behold someone will come up with a good suggestion.

Do i have to finish it all at one sitting?

No. Often I used to cut my stuff out with my friends. Maybe glue a little thing here or there and then take it home and finish it over the course of a day or two.

Can my kids do it with me?

Yes! It is great for them to focus and think about what they want. Have them build their own maps. They also might give you their thoughts about what they think you should have in your life. Helps them to think beyond them, right?

Does it work?

Yep.

Okay. I don't want to sound like a spoilsport but I’m just not interested in building a collage, can I do something else?

Sure you can take a nice piece of orange paper and write down wishes or affirmations during Treasure Map time. My wishes can sometimes feel like prayers and they are much broader in my desires. But I will say this, I felt like I needed to switch to 'less is more' after several years of mapping. So, I had a lot under my belt. I would encourage newcomers to make the actual maps. But if you really don't feel the call then just write your desires down. I like orange paper. So, vibrant. So Aries.

Is it ok to have things continue over to the next year? Long-term, ongoing stuff that has progressed but needs to continue to progress?

Yes. Of course. But with a small caveat. My experience after doing these for years is that when something really takes time and doesn't gel in the first year then there is something still not right yet. It might be something you are aware of...like one cyber friend shifted from her map from year one to year two by focusing on less things. That kind of energy is really important. What I mean.. is it is NOT important to put up less. It is important  to go into your gut and say what do I REALLY WANT.

You may need to shift something about your long range goals. My sense is that they need a wee bit refining or broadening. Just a thought. But definitely don't give up on the dream.

I'm really excited is there anything I can do now before Treasure Map to help my map?

Yes, yes, yes.... I said this in previous years and I'll remind everyone now. The period just before the Treasure Map is called the balsamic phase. Which is the end of the moon's phase. This is the phase when we get rid of stuff. Get rid of clutter. Get rid of things that are bugging us. Get rid of ick. Try if you can to clear some space in your life so you can be ready for the treasure map. Remember, Einstein said, "NO TWO THINGS CAN OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE." Read that several times... now ask yourself, do I have space in my house, my family, my brain, my time, my life in general for more? If the answer is no. Then start housecleaning!

Clear out the stuff between now and March 30. Now do you understand why it is important not to start your map before the new time?

By the way, I personally don't buy any of my supplies before the New starts. But I know some of you can't do that..so if you must buy before. Put it aside and don't touch it until the new. Don't thumb through magazines. Leave it all be.

{

Good luck and dream big!

Check out New Moon on my Astrology Site

http://tracyastrosalon.blogspot.com/

#2 of 53 Old 03-30-2014, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

I have been out all day and only bought my magazines about an hour ago.

I lit a nice fat red candle votive to remind me of the Aries New Moon. One of those candles that will burn for seven days.  Just to remind me when things get harried and I get lost in my mommy world....That all my goals are out there percolating. 

Hoping all of you dream big and get your maps made. 

love

Tracy 

#3 of 53 Old 03-30-2014, 06:38 PM

I got some work done. I had a bunch of stuff cut out ready to put on, but threw about half of it away when it came time. I'm still working.

jazzybaby9 likes this.

hh2.gif

#4 of 53 Old 03-30-2014, 07:03 PM

It's my one day off and I spent it gathering, doing activities I love, planning meals/yoga routines, and nourishing my girl and me. She's only 6 but she remembers TM time from prior years smile.gif I flipped through two magazines today and saw a few phrases that jumped out, but nothing majorly calling to me yet. Tomorrow is another day.

gd.gif winner.jpgteapot2.GIF placenta.gif caffix.gif

Young mama, student midwife, student herbalist, doula, massage therapist.

Aspiring homesteader & beekeeper.

#5 of 53 Old 03-30-2014, 08:15 PM

I went skiing with my family today and was on the lift with DH when it was officially the new year. :wub:
I didn't get a chance to burn my old map until I got home this evening. It also didn't burn very well at first but then it was gone.
Not many magazines called to me but something made me stop for an extra trip at one store that carries a magazine I've always liked. I got the last one. I picked up three.
I've wanted to do an entirely yellow map for the last three maps but always felt called to do a different color or multi coloured. This year it feels like it will be yellow. Once DS is in bed il get started with some tea.

Happy mapping all!

Megan ~ mama to the Mountain Man (05.30.05) and married to the Rad Man
If I'm not riding my bike I'm reading. Still trying to put the best of both world together.
#6 of 53 Old 03-30-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I burned my old map mid afternoon after putting the final touches on the house but before shopping for magazines and fresh flowers. That old map went up like a torch, I guess its work was officially done.

After dinner, I went to my quiet spot, lit a fresh white candle and put on some Zen music. After nearly two hours of work my map looks good, but a touch bare in spots. I always get a little stumped in the family and career spots. I use my latest flower or seed catalog pictures for filler on the colors. That makes it cheerful to look at for me since I'm a gardener.

I have to stop for tonight but I'll fill in those bare spots before the third.

Take care all,

Philomom
#7 of 53 Old 03-30-2014, 11:30 PM

I brainstormed just minutes after the Aries New Moon! I felt such excitement and 'swirly' energy! I haven't given it any thought, except to mark my calendar. Which is funny because I never actually put TM time in my calendar and I had it in my head it was Saturday. Even arranged for my child to have a sleepover Sat-Sun (vs Fri-Sat, which was offered without me asking). I am doing my TM with an online group and it was when I reminded them that I realized it was SUNDAY. LOL Anyway, it all worked out well. :D I reached a decision for this year's map and began the background / base map today.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#8 of 53 Old 03-31-2014, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Don't forget to use pininterest for photos.

I just heard about it. 

#9 of 53 Old 03-31-2014, 08:49 AM

Anyone else doing their map only on Pinterest? I would like to print some stuff out but I don't think I will have time.
jazzybaby9 likes this.

Walking the slow & steady path to crunchy with my all granola kiddo and not at all crunchy husband.
#10 of 53 Old 03-31-2014, 01:54 PM

I'm doing one this year after skipping the past couple of years.

@georgiapa - I am doing my map on Pinterest this year. I feel it'll be better for me. I have usually done mine on a series of construction paper pages (each color corresponding to a certain subject), but didn't feel like doing that this year. I have a private board on my Pinterest for my map. I've been pinning a bunch of things today - it's an excellent resource!! :)

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#11 of 53 Old 03-31-2014, 02:02 PM

I must be the only one who doesn't much see the draw for Pinterest shrug.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#12 of 53 Old 03-31-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

btw--how is it pronounced?

anyone?

t

#13 of 53 Old 03-31-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post

btw--how is it pronounced?

anyone?

t

I say it to rhyme with Interest, assuming that's what they mean by it. Pinning (as in on a pinboard/bulletin board) with Interest?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#14 of 53 Old 04-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

The energy associated with new Aries moon is definitely intense and pushing me to be very specific with my treasure map. 

:) 

I've done it for 2 years (not consecutive) and it really works. Esp. on the most important big things I ask for. So, I really want to focus on my priorities and what changes we want in our life in this new year. 

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant
#15 of 53 Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 PM

I finished my TM yesterday. It just all seemed to come together easily. I had spent a small fortune on nice magazines, but couldn't find the images I wanted, nor the words, so I decided to use the internet for some of the images and type up the things I wanted in words.

It all fell together really beautifully. It isn't very big, but I am happy with it, I don't have all that many things that I want, though what I do want is rather big!

What was interesting is that I thought I wouldn't have time to get it done, but there was industrial action at work and I found I had a lot of time on my hands. I had managed to have everything so well organised pre-TM that there was time to just be by myself in the classroom, putting together my TM.

When/if I get a chance, I'll put a picture of my TM on here.

I feel really positive about this coming year.

tresleo and kivi like this.

Wife partners.gif and mama of five grouphug.gif,  Alfie angel2.gif 12/10  and Louie angel2.gif 6/11, CPangel1.gif5/12, CP angel1.gif3/14
#16 of 53 Old 04-02-2014, 10:05 AM

georgiapa, I'm doing mine on Pinterest only this year. I look at the site every day, so I think it will be a good way for me to remember to view my map frequently.  Also, my printer is broken so this seemed a good option.  I usually like to do things hands-on, so we'll see how it goes. But for now, it feels right.

Robin read.gifPartner to J bikenew.gif and mom to G & R 10/3/12 twins.gif 
#17 of 53 Old 04-02-2014, 12:22 PM

I found an image that I love but it's dark. It's dusk and it's some one with a light going through the trails with a light. I'm hesitant to use it but I can't seem to pull myself away from it either. Thoughts?
Any insight as to where it should even go? I'm using bagua map.
jazzybaby9 likes this.

Megan ~ mama to the Mountain Man (05.30.05) and married to the Rad Man
If I'm not riding my bike I'm reading. Still trying to put the best of both world together.
#18 of 53 Old 04-02-2014, 06:33 PM

Late but here!  I have been cutting and started pasting this evening!  Loving how it's turning out but I just wish I had had the foresight to print some pictures of my special people through a printing service because my printer is crap!  Maybe I should put a new printer somewhere on the map!?  Last year I put a lot of money partially in wallets on my map and we ended up the year IN THE RED - I'm thinking the Universe may have interpreted that as money going OUT of the wallet!  So this year I am only including any images of cash securely inside of something - such as a piggy bank or a jar!!  :nut

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#19 of 53 Old 04-02-2014, 09:02 PM

I have a question.  There is a short trip/vacation that I want to take in late May 2015.  I know that's over a year away, but if I wait until next year's treasure map time, it may be too late to get everything set up.

Do I include images related to that trip on this year's treasure map?

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#20 of 53 Old 04-03-2014, 02:04 AM

I'm almost done..... Except one.

In which area would I put my wishes for my labor being natural and easy(I can hope, can't I?) I have some free space in 7 and 9. Are the words 'Easy Natural labour' okay or do I need to write more?

My last birth ended up with epidural and episiotomy and I'm hoping to go all natural with my midwife this time around. I'm anxious about pain even though I know I can do it... And need all the positive energy from the universe.

#21 of 53 Old 04-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Shakti, I don't know much about the bagua (is that what it's called?) so not sure where to put the words. I think those words are perfect. Perhaps an image of a woman holding a newborn looking very calm and serene?

I just wanted to say that my last baby was born with no pain meds and totally naturally ( apart from antibiotics for strep B), he was my 5th, but I'd always had pain relief - mainly "pethadine" (not sure if you call it that in the US). I was surprised to find that not masking the pain was incredible - although I still had painful contractions, in between I felt an enormous sense of calm and actually naturally "high" - I guess it was the endorphins, and to be honest it was better than the pain relief I'd used in previous births. It was 8 years after the last birth, not sure if that made a difference. I hope you can have the birth you want. Perhaps those words too: "I birth my baby in the way that I want"?

This is my TM: It is two pages of a scrap book album. I don't like to display the TM as my DH would just tease me as he doesn't believe in the law of attraction, so I just look at my pages everyday.

Sorry about the reflection off the plastic. The bit on the right side that you can't see due to reflection has an image of a wheelbarrow full of vegetables from the garden and an image of a tropical island for a holiday (vacation).

tresleo and sunnysandiegan like this.

Wife partners.gif and mama of five grouphug.gif,  Alfie angel2.gif 12/10  and Louie angel2.gif 6/11, CPangel1.gif5/12, CP angel1.gif3/14
#22 of 53 Old 04-04-2014, 02:09 PM

Thanks gumblossom!! Mine's almost 8 yrs after I gave birth last time as well! :)

I'm currently reading a book of natural birth stories and they reinforce what you just said... The endorphins - they are powerful!!! 

I come out of a workout session feeling I can conquer the world. Maybe with all those endorphins, I can come out of labor like I did conquer the world! :) 

#23 of 53 Old 04-05-2014, 07:18 PM

It's April 5th and I still haven't solidified my map. I've been procrastinating ...perhaps that's something I should address on this one wink1.gif

#24 of 53 Old 04-05-2014, 07:39 PM

:lurk

We are a treehugger.gif family by nature...my beloved partner in life hippie.gifour little drummer boydrum.gif(Apr.2011) and Autumnal girlflower.gif(Oct.2013)       goorganic.jpgsigncirc1.gif  h20homebirth.gif  namaste.gif 
#25 of 53 Old 04-06-2014, 01:29 PM

I dunno if y'all can see this very well, but here's this year's map.

sunnysandiegan and vydalea like this.

#26 of 53 Old 04-06-2014, 03:57 PM

Maiasaura, your map is really beautiful!

Maiasaura likes this.

#27 of 53 Old 04-06-2014, 05:36 PM

Thanks!

#28 of 53 Old 04-06-2014, 11:31 PM

I finished my Treasure Map and I am excited! :D It is a sun with each ray representing a bagua and the center is Health & Me represented with the chakras with my own creative touches. I drew images on each ray, but they did not photograph well. Everything has a shimmer to it, which felt perfect for this year! I have it hanging on my rebounder and I can see it while in bed (not really READ it, but it's visible). I use my rebounder 2-3 times a week and will have to move my Treasure Map, which will prompt me to read it. :)

Maiasaura, tresleo and MrsMike like this.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#29 of 53 Old 04-07-2014, 03:24 PM

sunnysandiegan, your map is beautiful, so creative.

I wonder if it is too late to add to the TM's? I realize there's some space on mine, and I have had a couple of ideas about self-improvement, that I'd like to add (like being calm (less stress) and compassionate and kind to my students (whom I can be quite impatient with) and having more energy because I am tired alot- though the "fitness" and "robust good health" should contribute to that).

So, do I still have time?

#30 of 53 Old 04-07-2014, 06:08 PM

(my kiddo standing beside it lol)

From afar, but I'm filling in the white spaces with affirmations...I actually feel satisfied with my map for once. In the past I've always felt maps were a bit "off"...so excited about this one!!!

Beautiful maps, everyone! smile.gif
Maiasaura and sunnysandiegan like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page