Pagan Families in April - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey all!

I know there wasn't a March thread, so I thought I'd get us going again.

Lots of stuff has been happening in the Pagan blogosphere, gardens are getting prepped, and it's getting time for summer festivals. What are you planning?

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#2 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! wave.gif
Can I join in? I'm making an effort to reintroduce ritual and celebration into our family life more this year. Most of my friends & family are firmly christian or atheist, it would be nice to have someone to talk to who doesn't think I'm crazy.
I'm particularly interested in ideas for how to get my kids involved/interested. Anyone?

Me treehugger.gif + DH reading.gif= DD faint.gif (1/2004) & DS babyf.gif (6/2013)
homeschool.gifnovaxnocirc.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#3 of 6 Old 04-01-2014, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTurtle View Post

Hello! wave.gif
Can I join in? I'm making an effort to reintroduce ritual and celebration into our family life more this year. Most of my friends & family are firmly christian or atheist, it would be nice to have someone to talk to who doesn't think I'm crazy.
I'm particularly interested in ideas for how to get my kids involved/interested. Anyone?

I think the effort to get kids involved is something that really stumps a lot of Pagan parents. I've found that for my kids (3yo & 7yo), simple is the way to go. One of the best Midsummer's we've had was just a fire in the firepit, a poem about the Earth and the Sun, and waving good-bye as the sun went down. We try to talk about what we celebrate and why more then doing a fully ritualized thing.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#4 of 6 Old 04-02-2014, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I'm also trying to introduce more ritual in our home and get the kids involved. It's been a strange few months here as ds started talking about wanting to go to church a while back. I've been very disenchanted with Christianity but Orthodoxy was the one thing I hadn't completely disregarded and hadn't fully checked out. I found a local church here and tried attending and reading more about it but while it wasn't quite clicking for me I decided it was at least acceptable as a church to let them attend if they wanted a Christian church. Well I took them and he didn't like it. He absolutely doesn't want to go to church and I realized quickly that his request to go to church was because he thought he could go and play. Grrr.. we don't have a single pagan friendly option around here so I now get to find ways to celebrate more with them so he won't miss out on that experience. Dh will be relieved though that I'm not going to try to attend that church again as he really didn't want to leave paganism. I have to say I wasn't thrilled with the idea myself and I'm glad to be back. I'm cooking up ideas for Easter now. Although we missed the actual Ostara celebration they know Easter is coming up so I'm going to let them do it instead and use our Ostara stuff for it. I need to get started on our Beltane plans as well.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
#5 of 6 Old 04-04-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We had a lovely Ostara! My daughter is 2 years old so it was fun getting her involved. I planted herbs on March 1st so they would be growing in time. We had a fancy dinner, I said a simple couple sentences thing about new life, we light candles and said what our new beginnings for this spring (my dd's was potty training ;)). I got my daughter an Ostara basket and hide 6 chalk eggs for her to find. She thought that was super fun and carried them around for a week afterwards! She pronounces it O-star-a, and since I'm not sure how to say it, that's now how my family pronounces it. It was so nice to celebrate since I've been meaning to celebrate for over a year. 

What's held me back is the idea that you need to clean your house top to bottom the day of or day before. I keep a cleaning schedule where I do one big thing a day, but I don't have time or energy to my whole house in one day, especially with a toddler in the house! So I forgot about the spring cleaning, just cleaned my kitchen, found a short "ritual" (what else has held me back is the previous rituals I've found from paganism.about.com are long and involved getting up at dawn - not going to happen. So I'm learning to find simple alternatives that work with my daughter. Our Ostara was perfect and we loved it!

Now I need to figure out something for Beltane!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#6 of 6 Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

hello, i posted separately about looking for info on bringing spirituality to myself and my family. We live hours away from the nearest city so not a lot of resources. wondering if you could help me to get started :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page