Christian mom July '14 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2014, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Ladies I also have a difficult 5 yr old. Wow maybe Gods brought us together! I kept thinking ah would grow out of it but now I'm beginning to think it's just her personality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
apeydef- I know that it is his personality. I have learned more then a few lessons along the way. We are getting to a point where things are getting better.

It is very hard because a part of me just wants to give in. I want to do whatever to make the day go smooth. Then I know that love is not that way.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

OH! I forgot yes the Lord does bring us together...even if it over the internet.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilchunklins View Post
I have a difficult 6 year old. So I know the struggle there. What's crazy is when I figure out the root of his problem, its often a battle that I'm dealing with. And sometimes its hard to figure out the root but so much more beneficial. Think about an apple tree. You can go out and cut off every single apple, but its just going to come back. So dealing with "issues" or "behavior" or whatever is only a temporary solution.
Guidance with love is one of those fine lines. Its hard to find it, but not impossible.
Chunk- How do you see the root? Not sure if I understand this statment? (Maybe I need sleep? ) Did not get much sleep last night...
Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Ask the Holy Spirit for wisdom, understanding, and discernment.

Like say my kid is biting his nails suddenly or wetting the bed, those are fruit of the real problem. So rather than treat the symptom, its best to figure out where the symptom came from and nip that in the bud.
DH always refers to it as sickness like that. We don't do Tylenol because the fever isn't *really* the problem. The fever will resolve itself once we attack the infection.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:19 PM

The other important thing I've learned and goes along with your love theme is don't speak to the problem, that only fortifies it. Rather address the change you desire to see. For instance, when DD gets sassy, rather than go on and on about her rudeness,I will remind her that she is a princess in the Kingdom of God. Then I ask her how princesses act or treat others or speak... Then I've fortified who she is and not the problem at the moment...
Old 07-30-2014, 03:52 PM

Yes I just started telling dd. Is that pleasing to God? We should do all that's pleading to him. She seems to stop and think. I just gave to remind myself to do this when I'm really mad!!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure what he believes. That is part of the reason that I'm really thinking about "how" he sees love. Don't know if that makes sense.

Last day of July Where is the summer going????
Old 07-31-2014, 10:49 AM

Ok so since we are talking about our difficult 5/6 yr olds. Mine still has accidents in her pants. This is not bc something is wrong but bc she simply does not want to stop what she is doing. Also she doesn't pee the bed, it's only during the day. So yesterday she peed on the carpet bc she didn't go right when she woke up and I was still sleeping, so I wasn't up to tell her to go. Anyway my DH was fed up when he heard and made me buy pull ups. I think he's hoping she will be embarrassed. Well I think it may have backfired bc she seemed to think it was funny and also seemed excited to put it on. I'm so sad about the whole thing! Am I just a failure at mothering???? My youngest is so easy that I worry I may be showing him favoritism. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:57 AM

I got to that point. I had to put my 6 yr old in pull ups at bed time because my house is starting to reek if urine! Ever since we started using them, he's woke up dry Every.Single.Day. IDK what's up with that! But I completely understand being beyond frustrated with a potty trained kid suddenly regressing. Maybe you could set a timer to go off every 60-90 mins and she has to take a potty break even if she doesn't think she needs to go...?
Old 07-31-2014, 11:04 AM

Yes I am doing that starting today along with the pull-ups. I am making her go every two hours. It's just annoying. She was pooping her pants too bc she would wait until the last minute and then I started giving her gum or a small treat every time she poops and now she's stopped that. Kind of ridiculous I have to bribe an almost 6 yr old to go poop!!
Old 07-31-2014, 01:04 PM

Lol
Naz, what did you mean by, you don't know what he believes? I'm not sure I understand...

I'm currently debating whether to just night wean DS, or totally wean him.... I really need to at least start with the night weaning, I'm just so tired at night. Its easier to just nurse him. But I know its going to be too much for me with 2 to nurse at night. But then I keep thinking, maybe I'll just wait till he's 18 mos and totally wean him. I'm really tired of getting bit, usually accidentally but that doesn't make it less painful. But then I feel bad, I nursed all the others till they were at least 2. Plus I'm afraid he won't nap anymore if I don't nurse him. AH!!! IDK what to do!
Old 07-31-2014, 01:43 PM

Just start with night weaning and go from there. That's what I did. Trust me it's so worth it and now DS sleeps through the night. He was a horrible sleeper I never thought the day would come!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:11 PM

Do u still do an initial bedtime nursing?
Did you offer a sippy cup or something to replace nursing?

I just fear the drama!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:33 PM

Yes I do an initial night time nurse. It is drama at first lol. I'm down to before nap and before bed but tomorrow I'm cutting out before nap.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Boy! I missed a lot!!

Chunk- My 5yr is not a person that has a basic faith. (Not sure how to put it) So saying to him "Is that the way Jesus wants to act?" Is not going to get very far. So I'm trying to get a point where he sees real love....even in his "pain".

Many times I feel like he just thinks that I'm mad at him, all the time. So we just had a talk when everything was calm. I asked him some questions. I told him that I just wanted to know what he would answer. I took away that he is questioning things (God, church). That is OK. He needs to work out how he feels and what he believes.

I am not sure if I can really explain here? So that is what I'm thinking...

As far as weaning. I nursed #1 till he was close for 4. So did the whole tandam thing. I did night wean before #2 was born. No drink or anything.

#2 HAD to be weaned completely before #3 . He would have never dealt with tandam or my stay in the hospital. Started weaning at night around 7month preg. Then just slowly took away nursing time. He had a hard time. (He always has a hard time)

I never lost my milk. My midwife & I were very surpired. At #2 birth I had milk and colostum. And at times it was hard in the begining. But my #1 is never never sick and I really feel it was from him nursing ssssoooo long.

Sorry for mistakes....kids
Old 07-31-2014, 07:06 PM

Just remember the enemy always has an assignment against us, and our kids. So regardless of what he believes, speak life over him. He is called, anointed, he is a mighty man of God! So by speaking to that you fortify him. Not necessarily, "What would Jesus do?" If he has a favorite bible character, who is like a hero to him, that might be a comparison to start with. Definitely ask the Holy Spirit for help in figuring it out.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:22 PM

I'm gonna get back on track
With ready today ladies. I read a chapter this morning but I feel I should read one in the morning and at night!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

apeydef- I read alot more then a chapter. But I try to "feed" on the first one. I will read it a few times and think about it.

chunk- Thanks.

OK, come over to Aug

User Tag List