Bothered by pro-choice comm.s? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 210 Old 06-28-2002, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes Deirdre! I am not opposed to sex education, either, although I think it is unwise to assume all teens will have sex. I think abstinence should *also* be emphasized as a very real way to avoid pregnancy, disease, and a host of psychologic problems that occur when children engage before they're ready. The problem is that while sex-ed. is taught, what to do if pregnancy (or disease for that matter) ensues, is hushed up. Atleast, this has been *my* experience, anyway. If we're going to teach that teen sex is ok, we HAVE to teach teens what the REAL consequences of their actions can be.

Ok, now that we're way off the subject.... We were talking about commercials, right? If these commercials are supposed to raise awareness, how about a commercial advertising post-abortion counseling??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 210 Old 06-28-2002, 08:53 PM

Hydrangea, I apologize to you if I came on too strong. You're right, I need to work on my "judgement" issues... talk about unspirituality...
Anyhow, my belief is that MOST people (and I'm not pointing at you, because I don't even know you) are blind to the decisions they make. For example, people who eat meat do not want to see how the animals are treated and slaughtered... it is too depressing and they don't want to think about what they are supporting. Women who choose to circumcise their children (unreligiously) have probably never seen a circumcision performed, and do not wish to view one to see what they will be doing to their little boy. They would rather not have to think too hard about how painful and scary it is. The same goes for abortion. Most women have never actually watched one; they've never seen videos of tiny little hands and feet being slurped out of wombs, and they don't want to. They would rather be blind and follow through with what they think they "want" instead of coming face to face with all it entails...
I feel it is a matter of enlightenment. It is a matter of choosing the highest choices. Feed a child formula or breastmilk? Support organics or pesticide companies? Steal an apple from your neighbor's tree or grow your own? Create a child through an act of love, and destroy it or allow it to live and grow?
Now, granted, I am able to swallow my own hypocrisy on this issue. I don't always buy organic; I eat chicken ocassionally; maybe if I saw an apple on my neighbor's front lawn, I might pick it up and eat it. But where do you draw the line here? For some other guy, killing someone for stealing his car stereo may be perfectly acceptable!
And I still stick by my statement that the majority of abortions are done out of fear. When people's lives are planned and controlled, it is hard for them to deal with the fact that things may have to change. I see it with the women all around me.... and as for the ecosystem issue, it is fact that if people lived responsibly, the number of the people on this planet would be sustainable. If no one ate red meat, there would be enough grain to feed and sustain the planet (as 90% of all grain grown feeds cattle and dairy cows). If we do not pollute, drive very stinky cars, power everything with fossil fuels, etc., we could live very happily as One here. If someone is THAT worried, don't abort the child you created out of love!!! Bring that child up to recognize the planet's problems, and he or she may be the one to help change the planet for the better!!!
The world's aggression, fear, violence, and greed is going to continue until people open their eyes and recognize the consequences of their choices -- karmic or otherwise - and act responsibly.
#183 of 210 Old 06-28-2002, 09:40 PM

And while we're mandating all this education before women are allowed to decide what to do about their own bodies when faced with an unwanted pregnancy, let's also educate them as to the probable hard realities about raising the child in their situation, whatever that might be, teenage mother or older woman, educated or not, living in poverty or not, with a father around to help or never to be heard from.

Let's teach show them the whole picture of what it's like to relinquish a child for adoption. Many women find peace after doing so, but many are haunted and troubled their whole lives. Let's also show them a realistic picture of prospective adoptive parents vanishing into the ether should the child be born with serious disabilities.

Let's not just offer them a whole lot of rosy false promises of support that vanish once those who would criminalize abortion have accomplished their ends, and a child is brought into the world.
#184 of 210 Old 06-28-2002, 10:22 PM

YESYESYES! We have to teach ALL these things in order for a pregnant woman to make an 'informed decision'.
#185 of 210 Old 06-29-2002, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

There is a book called, "A Return to Modesty", I think. She's a young woman who talks about the emotional repurcussions of engaging in premarital sex. My friend told me about it and I still haven't read it, has anyone else heard of it? Some of the comments made me think about that when discussing sex ed in our schools (off topic I know). Again another consequence that I think should be discussed vs. just the logistics.
#186 of 210 Old 06-29-2002, 04:36 PM
pie

I would also like to recommend "Promiscuities" by Naomi Wolf.
#187 of 210 Old 06-30-2002, 12:11 PM

You ladies are so respectful! You are making my heart grow like the Grinch's! :-)

I have kind of a different perspective (I think). Anyway, I find babies to be cute, precious, perfect, etc. and I just CAN'T wait to have my own to love.

However, I think that our life should be about choices, and the best way for a society to evolve is to allow that society to make those choices, and to learn from the consequences that follow.

I don't just mean about abortion. What about the choice to eat doughnuts and fast food? The choice to drive to work. The choice to (or not) express your feelings freely? The choice to hold your tongue when your husband wears that awful golf shirt. :-)

Because this is the spirituality forum, I will say here that I do think that killing someone (including terminating a pregnancy) is thwarting God's purpose for the individual. However, I believe that the killer and the killed both have something to learn from that experience. And they won't be as likely to do something like that on their next try. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I probably don't view life as "finally" as many others do. If we don't get it right the first, third, or trillionth time, we will "get it" eventually. That is the only thing that is a virtual certainty, IMO! Because in the end, there is only love.

With love,
Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#188 of 210 Old 06-30-2002, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Jeanvanzyl- I agree with you about this life being about choices and each individual needing to be able to make choices but I think that choices like abortion are much more serious than just every day choices like what we eat (which incidentally I'm not trying to dig on you, I know that you probably meant that anyway).

What I mean is that I don't think people should be allowed to make choices that hurt other people. That is not our right. But that's where the argument begins and ends....when is it a life? For me it's a life forming even from day one. Not everyone learns from poor choices made.

For illustrations sake, those who chose to drive drunk IMO should have their license taken away. I knew of a man who was driving drunk and hit my aquaintance's car killing their infant and toddler leaving one child. This man had already been convicted of DUI 3 times in the past 2 years. The only reason he was held in jail for more than 24 hr.s was b/c the officer working on the case worked all night to get things in order to keep this guy in jail and off the streets. So are you telling me that he learned from his poor choices which took two other individuals lives? So, should we not have any laws against those who would choose so unwisely as to take another individual's life in their hands? Ah, but again I know the argument goes back to when does a life begin?
#189 of 210 Old 07-01-2002, 03:43 PM

Drewsmom,

You are of course right that choosing what to eat is not as consequential as choosing someone's fate. And you are also right that that is what I *meant* to express!

I guess it really comes down to what each person believes is right.

I personally think that we all *do* learn from each "mistake experience" and that the application of what we've learned may not take place until this life is over. But, of course, that notion presupposes that you accept the idea of reincarnation.

The story that you told about the drunk driver is so sad to me.

Blessings,
Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#190 of 210 Old 07-01-2002, 03:55 PM

Jean, you worded that so eloquently, and i couldn't agree with you more.
#191 of 210 Old 07-05-2002, 01:40 PM

Not like anyone asked, but just for the record, since this is the Spirituality forum, what does Jewish law say on the question of abortion/is it allowed?

The answer is, it depends on the situation.

Since the original thread topic was the commercials, I am stumped. Why would any women's rights organization waste their money on commercials about abortion rights, when they could be much better spent on commercials about birth control?

And why would any people-who-don't-approve-of-abortion organizations (stayed out of the what-to-call-'em argument there) waste time on anything but education about birth control, which would drastically reduce the need for the issue altogether?

If it's preventing unwanted children or unwanted pregnancies, folks, begin at the beginning.

BTW, y'all did a fine job with this thread. Very proud of you all.
Very civilized.

Okay, this thread can return to its slumber now ...

- Amy
#192 of 210 Old 07-05-2002, 08:52 PM

Amyprk wrote:

"And why would any people-who-don't-approve-of-abortion organizations (stayed out of the what-to-call-'em argument there) waste time on anything but education about birth control, which would drastically reduce the need for the issue altogether?"

Because birth control does not reduce the demand for abortion; rather, it increases the demand. The false security that birth control lends causes people to go to bed with each other who would never dream of having a child together; then, when the birth control fails, as it inevitably does, the new mother realizes that she doesn't want that jerk in her life, or he has high-tailed it outta there, or whatever. Then abortion seems like the only
option.

Contraception makes babies seem like an "accident" resulting from a pleasureable act. This is in contrast to the idea of pleasure resulting from the act of procreation.

A huge number of abortions are the "backup plan" implemented after contraception fails.

Planned Parenthood vs. Casey, the recent court decision that confirmed R v. W, stated: "In sone critical respects abortion is of the same character as the decision to use contraception...for two decades of economic and social developments, people have organized intimate relationships and made choices that define their views of themselves and their places in society, in reliance on the availability of abortion in the event that contraception should fail."

That's why. So it should be no wonder that the abortion business is the biggest pusher of contraceptives and those who oppose abortion prefer to promote self-restraint until a person has attained a situation which makes motherhood socially and economically more feasible (i.e. marriage).
#193 of 210 Old 07-05-2002, 08:56 PM

"If it's preventing unwanted children or unwanted pregnancies, folks, begin at the beginning..."

I see the "beginning" as a respect for the procreative act, and an understaning that pregnancy is the natural, biological result of sex, not some kind of freak mistake.
#194 of 210 Old 07-05-2002, 09:14 PM
pie

Pickle, you are living in a dream world.
#195 of 210 Old 07-05-2002, 09:33 PM

Elaborate please....
#196 of 210 Old 07-05-2002, 09:39 PM
pie

Pickle my doll, first off, birth control does help prevent pregnancy. Are you for eradication of birth control and abortion? And what will become of all the unwanted kids that are the result? Pickle! Do you have any idea the suffering children face already? Do you know how many kids go to foster care at say, age four, do not get out until they run away or become legal adults. So many are neglected and abused! And frankly, I do not know one pro lifer in real life that has ever done anything to really help these kids! I just don't get it. Do you think that a kid that was raised in an abusive environment is going to give the baby that they have a patient background in understanding the importance of abstinence? I mean, I am so sorry, I want it to be like you want it, but really.
#197 of 210 Old 07-05-2002, 10:03 PM

Okay I see what you mean.

First, let me make it clear that I do not advocate abolishing birth control! I have used it myself, mostly so I don't end up having 18 kids before menopause :LOL But when you use it, you need to understand that it *does* fail, and (imho) you need to be prepared to take responsibility for the new little person you create. How in the world is a high school student or a college student going to cope when the Pill fails her? Or the condom breaks? Of course, the answer is abortion.

As for kids being neglected, that is sad. But I don't believe abortion on demand will reduce that. Many moms on this board have shared that they have had abortions. Do you really think that any of these loving, caring women would have neglected or abused their babies? NO!!! They would have found a way to take good care of their babies, because that's what mothers do.

I'm sorry that you have never met any caring pro-lifers. I would just like to share a story with you that might boost your spirits.
The other day I attended a baby shower for a pro-life pregnancy center in our city. We all brought baby items for the center to give to expectant mothers.
It started when Heather shared the pictures of her newly adopted (Af. Am., should anyone care) baby and how eager she and her husband were to be put back on the adoptive list in one year. Janet started talking bout her wonderful adoption of her girl from Mexico. We asked Maria, an elderly woman, if she had any children. SHe said no, as she was widowed after only 3 years of marriage, but she had many sponsored children in her home country, the Philippines. Well, Tammy pulled out her picture of her sponsored child in Ethiopia, and I had to pull out my picture too, b/c mine is also Ethiopian. Dorothy shared that she also had 2 sponsored children. Dorothy goes to my church so I know that she volunteers tutoring inner-city kids and also holds crack babies at the inner-city hospital two nights a week.
I'm not trying to say that all PL'ers are saints but the ones who care enough to attend a baby shower usually do show their love for children in more than just the fight against abortion.

* names have been changed
#198 of 210 Old 07-05-2002, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamapie
And frankly, I do not know one pro lifer in real life that has ever done anything to really help these kids!
I'm very much pro-life. I'm also at 41 foster kids and counting over the past 4 years. My parents were at close to 100 (including 3 adopted) when they quit fostering. My dh sponsored foster kids overseas and was a big brother here. How much more would you like us to do to really help these kids???? Of course, I'm assuming you consider that you know me "irl", even though it is just over these boards.

As for what to call people, I have a problem with one side being "pro" something, and one side being "anti" something, as it creates an unconscious bias. Make everyone either "pro" or "anti", but be consistent. There are magazines I no longer buy or read because they use terms like "pro-choice" and "anti-abortion".
#199 of 210 Old 07-05-2002, 10:56 PM
pie

NM I am sorry, but did you not just say good deeds are not what God cares about on the other thread?

Sorry for generalizing about "pro lifers" or whatever you would like to be called. I do not know what to call you, as all seem to have a different thing. I am sorry for that. Let me know what term you like and I will use it.

Anyway, I was thinking of some fervant "damn welfare mothers getting knocked up getting abortions sluts blah blah blah" types. I do know those types unfortunately.
#200 of 210 Old 07-06-2002, 12:00 AM
pie

I just do not get it. Can someone who gets by doing no or very few good deeds get in through the pearly gates if they accept Christ? I mean, if I accept Christ but say you know, I like this Jesus character but I think there are other ways to heaven, would that count? I just do not get it NM.
#201 of 210 Old 07-06-2002, 12:12 AM
pie

If I go to hell for not believing and Hitler goes to heavan on the off chance he did, I will burn happily. I am not kidding. Someone must have added that in to coerce some pagans or something. I am sorry. I am done discussing that, it really makes me angry. Not at you NM.
#202 of 210 Old 07-06-2002, 12:32 AM

But NM we have to remember when explaining salvation that Salvation is just the beginning, there is then Sanctification.

If a person's life does not begin to bear the fruit of the Holy Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control) after conversion, or if there is no turning from sin, then there is a big problem and this is not God's plan.

I'm gonna post this again in Spirituality under a new thread so this one can get back to pro-choice commercials ( ummm, yeah, that's all we've talked about on this thread
#203 of 210 Old 07-06-2002, 01:41 AM
pie

so what about Ghandi? The Dalai Lama? Etc? Your basic people of peace of other faiths? Are they burning? Are they roasting because they did not buy it?
#204 of 210 Old 07-06-2002, 02:01 AM
pie

NM I appreciate your patience. I appreciate your beliefs. But my god is not that way. No way. That is a bunch of bunk. A god like that is not worth believing in to me. No way.

I have accepted Christ before. So does it still count? Or would I need to be born again for the ticket to the palace in the sky?

You can't get to heaven on roller skates, right?
#205 of 210 Old 07-06-2002, 03:02 AM
pie

#206 of 210 Old 07-06-2002, 04:38 PM

T wow! are we wittnessing a conversion here? nm ministering to pie! this is scary! love you both, but oh man, pie, if you start quoting scripture.... well, i don't know
#207 of 210 Old 07-06-2002, 05:09 PM

mamapie,

As you know, Christianity comes in many flavors. NM and some others may not feel that works matter, but many Christians believe that works are essential to salvation.
#208 of 210 Old 07-07-2002, 11:40 PM

Quote:
... by mamapie
... Can someone who gets by doing no or very few good deeds get in through the pearly gates if they accept Christ?
M'pie, I read a book a long (very long) time ago by a former Christian minister (I forget the denomination) who lapsed and then converted to another religion (which shall remain nameless) because he was offended by a teaching ... he understood that the Jewish children who died in the gas chambers in WWII would not "go to heaven" because they were not "saved." But if Eichmann, say, or Mengele, perhaps, accepted their savior, they would.

It's expected that I'd have a hard time with that concept. I'm not Christian. And since the concept seems to be the end-game on this thread, maybe someone could explain it to me.

NM? I hope the question ... and the way this post is worded and punctuated ... doesn't offend. It's a very indelicate subject and I'm trying to ask it delicately. Please forgive if it's ... upsetting. I don't mean to upset or insult, it's just that your discussion with MP has opened the door to my finally getting an answer to the question ... the author of that book did not shed any more light on it in his book, so I've always wondered if he was stating the theological idea accurately.

- Amy
#209 of 210 Old 07-08-2002, 12:10 AM

Amyrpk, I'm not speaking for anyone but myself here, but I think your first paragraph is a load of cobblers, insofar as I totally disagree with the theory stated. I'm Catholic (practising), but I don't agree with all the Church's stances. I really don't believe that God will turn anyone away as long as they have followed His commandments (regardless of religion, love your neighbour is pretty universal). The Church has also stopped it's teaching of limbo (where unbaptized babies go if they die - no hope of ever reaching heaven). I truely believe that a person who lives a good life, even if they never step into a place of worship, or are "saved", will get to heaven long before someone who goes to mass/church regularly, but hurts their kids/others, whatever. I'm pretty sure heaven is filled with good people of every and no religion, and hell is filled with the evil people, regardless of practice of faith. However, the RC church also has purgatory, where those in the grey area go until they are ready for heaven. I figure people could be in there for a very long time.

Does this make any sense whatsoever?
#210 of 210 Old 07-08-2002, 12:53 AM

Hey, this is all very interesting, but would you mind taking this conversation to a different thread? I know this is in the spirituality forum, but this has turned into spirituality with no relation to the thread topic. I'd just unsubscribe from the thread, but I'm afraid I'll miss something that (in my opinion) has relevance to me.

Thanks, and I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page