Christ Followers/Seekers/ plain ol' Christian thread--all are welcome - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 1377 Old 12-26-2004, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Meghan! And the answer is a sound YES! I'm waterbirth all the way. And homebirth too, I loved my midwife and she is tickled that she'll be attending me again soon. I'm thrilled cause a friend of mine is due in April and has asked me to be there to offer bf support and wants me there for the birth so it will be the first birth I'll have been to that wasn't my own! She's having a homebirth with the same midwife. Sorry to go so OT!

Brit- Sounds like you're very busy! Would you believe I haven't been in a Catholic church since I was a kid? I hardly remember it, it was a confirmation (is that what they call it?) service for one of my cousins. The only time my two cousins have ever been to church.

Merry CHRISTmas everyone! I hope it was a good one! Thank you for coming Jesus!
#302 of 1377 Old 12-26-2004, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Merry Christmas y'all.
#303 of 1377 Old 12-26-2004, 06:58 PM

Merry Christmas, Sisters!

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#304 of 1377 Old 12-27-2004, 01:44 AM

Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

We went to a Christmas Eve service at an Episcopal Church. I've been sad this year that our non-denom. church barely acknowledged the season, no advent or anything. So we went to get our dose of high church. 20 mo. old dd didn't like it very much. After we went up for communion, she spotted a door and yelled "out, out!" much to the amusement of the entire congregation. But it was nice over all.
#305 of 1377 Old 12-29-2004, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Praying for the countries and people affected by the tsunami.
#306 of 1377 Old 01-06-2005, 01:06 AM

Hello Hotmama and other mamas,
Have not been on the forum in a long time, but finally got on today. All is well, I got to be with a friend of mine not to long ago when she had her baby. My first time assisting and being with another laboring woman. Pretty cool!! It was a hospital birth, but overall not too bad. My little DD is getting so big and old - I am still bf and it seems like it is getting more difficult as she is getting older (now 19mos.) Well, sorry for the rambling paragraph. I hope you all had a blessed Christmas and Happy New Year.
May the Lord bless each one of you. Would love to hear how you are doing Hotmama.
#307 of 1377 Old 01-06-2005, 03:12 PM

Hi Dancer Mama! My ds is just one month older than yours and nursing too... I don't know if you're planning on Child Led Weaning, but there's a new forum in Breastfeeding for moms who practice Child Led Weaning. I did CLW with my dd and she weaned at 20 months, but ds is nowhere near ready to wean. Just thought I'd mention it!

Hi everyone!
#308 of 1377 Old 01-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Banned

I'm curious, how many of you mommas have read the whole Bible? THis is my new years resolution.
#309 of 1377 Old 01-13-2005, 08:05 PM

Hey Laura -
Are you using a 1 year Bible reading plan or 1 year Bible? My dh is on his second time through the Bible in 2 years (he teaches though and has mandatory "reading break" each day - so he gets 15-20 minutes a day to read) using a chronological Bible. I've read most of the NT and was up in 1 Kings in the OT. But, then I started researching the Hebraic Roots of Christianity, and decided to start all over again in Genesis to get the big picture of Christ and also to spend more in-depth time in the Torah. My hope is by the end of this year, I'll have it all read through (OT and NT).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#310 of 1377 Old 01-13-2005, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeping queen
I'm curious, how many of you mommas have read the whole Bible? THis is my new years resolution.
I never have : For those of you that have, did you read it straight through, or chronologically, or some other order? Also, if anyone has a favorite translation to recommend that would be great
#311 of 1377 Old 01-13-2005, 11:38 PM

My dh really likes the chronological format - especially because it helps break up some of the longer books (for instance, the Psalms get broken up throughout David's life; Proverbs gets broken up through Solomon's life; etc.). There are chronological reading plans on-line (I'll go get a link in a minute). Here's one reading plan. Here's another plan. In terms of Bible translations, I really like the NIV - I think it's a pretty easy to understand one and it held pretty high in terms of accuracy. The NASB is also good though a little more difficult in comparrison to the NIV. Here's the Bible (NIV) online through Bible Gateway. HTH!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#312 of 1377 Old 01-13-2005, 11:40 PM

Me either. I've read through most of them, but never started and finished.

Does anyone have a schedule for reading through the Bible in a year that they could post? I would like to, but a little accountability would help. We used to go to three services a week at church, but it's harder with the kiddos and we just make it on Sundays now.
#313 of 1377 Old 01-13-2005, 11:43 PM

Thank you so much MyLittleWonders!!! I can't wait to get started, although I've already been started...just needed a little direction.

thanks
#314 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Dancer Mama. Its good to see you here. I think about you a lot and wish we could have met up while I was still there.

I am okay. I've been REALLY angry at God. REALLY. Don't get me wrong, I love him desperately and all. He's really the only Faithful relationship I've ever had. I am angry at the Church and the direction it goes in. I am angry at Christians, on the whole. I am ANGRY. Ooops, I hope that isn't TMI for some of you.

I feel like he's wanting me to do a study on Mothering in the Wilderness and while I am not fighting it, I am just feeling like "who am I do lead a study? I am an angry mess!" Do you ever feel like you can't possible minister to anyone b/c of all the depravity staring you in the face? Blah. So I am wrestling with anger and a deepened desire to worship God. I am so thankful for the latter, though. I desire to worship Him more and more. I love IT when I want to go to Church and worship with all my heart, mind, soul and strength. I truly believe that is a Gift from God, KWIM?
#315 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Banned

Good morning, this is the reading plan I'm using.one year through the bible January I searched on the net for a guide and I picked this one because it does some old and new testament everyday. I'm on day 14. I've read Genesis more than once in my attempt at reading through the bible, but you still read things you missed before. If anyone gets a chance read Genesis 6:1-4 and see if you picked up what I did this time!!! Very interesting.
I'll do accountability if anyone wants to.

Hotmamacita, . I don't know who I'm angry at now. Dh has decided he isn't going to church no more. End of discussion. This was a big discussion before we were married. I knew how I wanted to live and raise my children and we were in agreement. I don't know what to do. I'm thinking about talking to my pastor. Our church has many loving, giving christians, who have showed our family love more than once. I'm so MAD!!!!!!!!! My 12 old dd loves going to church.
#316 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 10:15 AM

Quote:
If anyone gets a chance read Genesis 6:1-4 and see if you picked up what I did this time!!! Very interesting.
Gen 6:1 When men began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them,
Gen 6:2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were fair; and they took to wife such of them as they chose.
Gen 6:3 Then the LORD said, "My spirit shall not abide in man for ever, for he is flesh, but his days shall be a hundred and twenty years."
Gen 6:4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown.

What'd you get from it?
#317 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Banned

In two places it says the sons of God came to daughters of men, it makes a distinction between men and sons of God. Perhaps the sons of God were different than human men. I'm not suggesting that is true, I just find it interesting. Something to ponder perhaps. It also singles out the children born by this union.
#318 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 11:12 AM

I have read the entire Bible. It took me approx 1 1/2 yrs. I didn't used a study guide. I just read it. It was confusing to me. I used the Oxford Annotated version, which has lots of notes and explanatory essays about the anthropology of the times and literary styles, etc. This was helpful.

Then I read a lot of other books about the Bible's history. I realized most of the Hebrew Bible was not written down until the exile of the 7th century BCE, or afterwards.

Now that I have a better feeling to the kings, wars and other empires (Egypt, Babylonia, Persia, Assyria, Greece, Rome) that fought with and often whupped the tiny tribe of Hebrews, I am rereading the Bible piecemeal.

So, these men (priests, political leaders) of the 7th-3rd centuries BCE wrote down (and reinterpreted them for their times) oral and fragmentary written myths and legends of their people which were thought to have occured at least 700 yrs earlier if not before.

I take a story of the "Nephilim" with a grain of salt. I compare it to the stories of the contemporaneous gods and goddesses of Egypt, which are just as fantastic.

Here is a short list of more Biblical absurdities to ponder:

http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...n/absurd.shtml
#319 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Banned

[QUOTE]Here is a short list of more Biblical absurdities to ponder:[/QUOTE Darryl , I notice that you seem to have a crusade agianst the Bible and never miss an opportunity to discredit it. Perhaps if that is your desire you should start a thread for those who would like to discuss it. I find you jumping into a christian support thread just to discredit the Bible is very rude and insensitive to those who are believers.
#320 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 11:45 AM

SQ, thank you for your opinion. You talked about pondering a pericope. You asked if anyone had read the whole Bible.

I read and I ponder.
#321 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 12:01 PM

well, I for one appreciate the link and have bookmarked it. This is going to sound like heresy to some of you and I'm sorry, but the Bible was one of the major stumbling blocks to my path to Christ. I too ponder it, from different perspectives, and I am sure it will take me a lifetime to begin to understand it. I admit that I have not read the whole thing; I have thought about doing it each year and have procrastinated the time away. I'm not sure that in my case, trying to read a certain amount each day in order to get through it in a certain amount of time is the right approach for me at this point.

HMC! I hear you! Sometimes I get so angry....

SQ, sorry about your DH. Maybe he's going through a rough patch? We didn't attend our church for almost a year while DH went through a reconciling of his feelings toward some people there and time and distance gave him a perspective on the good there that he had not had before. Ultimately it was our oldest child who led us back there.

Peace.
#322 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom
well, I for one appreciate the link and have bookmarked it. This is going to sound like heresy to some of you and I'm sorry, but the Bible was one of the major stumbling blocks to my path to Christ. I too ponder it, from different perspectives, and I am sure it will take me a lifetime to begin to understand it.
Peace.
This is a thread for all, seekers and believers, in Christ, in unity. Attempting to put the Bible in historical perspective should not be seen as "discrediting" it. There are many approaches to understanding the Bible's messages. Strict literalism is one way. Not a way that suits my intellect or spirit.
#323 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

SQ- I feel for your mama. Why don't you come on down here and sit in church with me and we can burn holes in people's head with our angry stares. : Okay, I hope at least you are smiling now. Oh and we can tally the number of times people say "Boy you sure have your hands full." :
#324 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

All ARE welcome here. (Okay they need a group hug smilie with a few kicks on the bums here and there...)

I love the Bible. I am deeply grateful for it. I think that relationship is the Core of the Bible. Actually, I am desperate for Christ and the Bible gives me deeper and richer understanding of Who He is. BUt I have wrestled deeply with the Bible on many levels.

I don't agree with some directions others go in with the Bible but I don't desire to silence their voices. IN fact, remember SQ how I PM'd you and apologized for how nasty I'd been to you? God humbled me that morning about how WRONG I was to harbor hatred in my heart towards you. After that, I opened up to relationship with you and am so glad I was wrong about you. Isn't there tremendous freedom in being wrong?

Anyway, I think the Bible is a source to Life. I really do. I am thankful for it and take into account all sorts of perspectives but I keep coming back to the major, minor and invisible themes of Relationship in it. It is an AWESOME text, imho.

That being said, I've never read it through 'formally' in some sort of planned reading program. I'd like to someday.

I've never checked out the OA, DaryLLL. Do you have an extra copy I could borrow? I like the NAS, with the exception that I find it offensive to see the word American on a Bible and I have a big soapbox about translations. I have an NIV which I now like but fought it tooth and nail for years. I've checked out other translations, except OA, over the past 16 years. I'd like to check it out.

SQ- sorry about dh. Can I encourage you to give you dh freedom in not going. I know that I don't seem the quiet type but I'd be quiet about it and be free to go without him if and only if YOU want to go. KWIM? I'll be : for you and if you DO venture down here...will ya' come and stare down the vapid with our ire?
#325 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Banned

HM, Oh how I wish I could. How about these statements "I'm glad it's you and not me"(who wouldn't want to be mom to my adorable pair )Actually, I'm glad too. "Double trouble" they really have no idea what a pair of 2 year olds can accomplish in under 5 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darryl, I have the opinion that the Bible is God's inspired word, wholly accurate and correct. I'm sorry that we will probably never see eye to eye with that assessment. I'm short on time and wouldn't mind discussing this. Sorry I was a bit harsh.
#326 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
HM, Oh how I wish I could. How about these statements "I'm glad it's you and not me"(who wouldn't want to be mom to my adorable pair )Actually, I'm glad too. "Double trouble" they really have no idea what a pair of 2 year olds can accomplish in under 5 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

....I have the opinion that the Bible is God's inspired word...
AMEN, sister. I have the Belief and Faith that it is. Although there are really good arguements against it, I keep coming back to Belief and Faith through Relationship. And while I tend not to intellectuallize the Bible, I certainly can.
There are many good arguments supporting the historical accuracy and truth of the Bible. But who really cares if I am 'right' if I am not loving...

Oh and SQ...do people REALLY say "I'm glad its you and not me?" Oh crap. I'd lose it. They'd be saying "oh she can't be a Christian if she just said THAT to me."

: (Not really, but its fun to think about)

I'M SO GLAD MY TWINS ARE TWO.
#327 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoMJM
Hey there- Just found this thread, I am a crunchy Christian (Messianic Believing) Mama too! It seems I don't fit in a lot of places....I am pretty conservative in terms of my beliefs, but don't believe I have the right to push that on others, which often makes me unusual in a church setting....
Anyway, just checking in.....
Welcome MJM.

Glad you are here. I think we are all unusual in our our convictions and that is what I LOVE about MDC.
#328 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 04:40 PM

HMC, no, I do not have an extra copy. I suggest the library. If you do have any extra $$$ it is about $35.

SQ, apology accepted.
#329 of 1377 Old 01-14-2005, 05:51 PM

Quote:
In two places it says the sons of God came to daughters of men, it makes a distinction between men and sons of God. Perhaps the sons of God were different than human men. I'm not suggesting that is true, I just find it interesting. Something to ponder perhaps. It also singles out the children born by this union.
Here's what the Navarre Bible Pentateuch Commentary (Catholic) has to say about this passage:

Quote:
(Concerning the Nephilim): Alluding perhaps to a myth in vogue in ancient times, to the effect that giants were the offsrping of women who mated with beings of a higher order, the sacred writer is stressing here the headway that sin and disorder have made. In this passage we are told that God put a limit on man’s lifespan as a punishment for sin.

We cannot work out what the expression “sons of God” means here. Jewish tradition and some ancient Christian writers read it as meaning fallen angels; but that explanation does not fit in with the spiritual nature of angels. Therefore, it has been interpreted as meaning good men, the descendants of Seth who indiscriminately took as wives the descendants of Cain, here called the “daughters of men”. This is the explanation given by St. Augustine (De civitate Dei, 15, 23), St. John Chrysostom (Homiliae in Genesim, 22, 4), St. Cyril of Alexandria (Glaphyra in Genesim, 2, 2) and other Fathers. Mankind’s moral decline on account of pride and abuses of marriage prepares the way for the upcoming account of the flood.
#330 of 1377 Old 01-15-2005, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL
HMC, no, I do not have an extra copy. I suggest the library. If you do have any extra $$$ it is about $35.
I'd suggest looking for it used if the price is a problem. A lot of colleges use it as the required Bible for classes so they turn up used a lot. In fact I found one in the trash at Boston College a couple years ago, but I gave it to another MDCer awhile back. The translation used in the OA is the New Revised Standard Version which I really like.

As for the angry with God thing, I've definately been there. I not there right now but I am pretty angry with some of the people at my church including the leadership who I feel really misrepresented themselves when we first came to the church. But on the bright side, we met a great couple there that we are becoming friends with.

One year I tried reading through the Bible. I was kind of guilted into it at the conservative Christian college I was going to. They told us we would get a steak dinner at the end (which wasn't really an insentive for me). What I found is that everytime I found an interesting passage that I wanted to do more research on or meditate on I would have to let it pass by so I could keep up with the grueling schedule. I have read the entire Bible but not all at once and I don't really see it as a goal for myself.

And I also thought Darylll's link was interesting. In a college biblical studies course we had to do an annotated bibliography on a hard/weird passage of the Bible. That list would have been really helpful in chosing a topic. I know one member of the class did the thing about the sons of god and daughters of men.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page