Christ Followers/Seekers/ plain ol' Christian thread--all are welcome - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
First ... 3  4  5 6  7  15  ... Last
Spirituality > Christ Followers/Seekers/ plain ol' Christian thread--all are welcome
hotmamacita's Avatar hotmamacita 07:49 AM 06-28-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya
Hey- have you guys looked at the anti christ discussion? It's kinda funny...

Natalya--we can't discuss other threads. And since OUR threads seemed to get closed with no warning or explanation, we kinda need to be on the ball about rules and all.... I realize that you may not know about this rule so I thought I'd mention it and remind everyone about it.

NM--oh big hug. big big hug... big a$$ hug. You've been on my heart the past two days.

LyndaB's Avatar LyndaB 02:02 PM 06-28-2004
Hi all! New to this threat, but I've posted around in some other ones. I could say I don't really have a story because I grew up in church, but that wouldn't be true, because we all have a story, don't we? The things that God has done for us, the times that he's brought us through and met us exactly where we were at! I have to say that He is AWESOME!! Every day, he shows me something else about myself, or somewhere else that He wants me to go--to stretch me in my faith, and yet it's kind of like being married in that I love Him more now than when I was younger, and I trust him totally and completely now whereas I didn't before. It's good to see so many Christian mamas--sometimes you feel overwhelmed, that there aren't that many of us, so it's good to see.
Natalya's Avatar Natalya 03:41 PM 06-28-2004
[QUOTE=hotmamacita]Natalya--we can't discuss other threads. And since OUR threads seemed to get closed with no warning or explanation, we kinda need to be on the ball about rules and all.... I realize that you may not know about this rule so I thought I'd mention it and remind everyone about it.

Oops, sorry. :

Hi Lynda.
Peppamint's Avatar Peppamint 04:50 PM 06-28-2004
Welcome Lynda!

Natalya- I do stuff like that all the time! :LOL
indie's Avatar indie 08:07 PM 06-28-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamacita
big a$$ hug.
My thoughts on exactly what a "big a$$ hug" would entail are kind of scary. You know in the movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles when Steve Martin and John Candy are sharing a bed in a motel room and Candy wakes up and says my hands are between two pillows then Martin yells, "Those AREN'T PILLOWS!" Well that's what I think of.
hotmamacita's Avatar hotmamacita 03:27 PM 06-29-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
My thoughts on exactly what a "big a$$ hug" would entail are kind of scary. You know in the movie Planes, Trains, and Automobiles when Steve Martin and John Candy are sharing a bed in a motel room and Candy wakes up and says my hands are between two pillows then Martin yells, "Those AREN'T PILLOWS!" Well that's what I think of.

uuuuh, NM, nevermind on that hug, okay?

:
Peppamint's Avatar Peppamint 05:05 PM 06-29-2004
Quote:
uuuuh, NM, nevermind on that hug, okay?

:

stanleymama's Avatar stanleymama 02:04 AM 06-30-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Doula
Barb- Thanks! & THIRD DAY rocks!!! Check them out!!

OH YEAH!!!! I love Third Day!! They are truly annointed. Can hardly wait to get their new cd. My church worship team plays a few of their songs during Sunday morning worship.
3bees~1flower's Avatar 3bees~1flower 12:14 PM 06-30-2004
stanleymama----i have the new...as usual, it's awesome!!

has anyone ever seen Third Day in concert? we've seen them 3 times....truely an awesome concert...if you want to worship, i highly reccomend one! i'm so sad that they aren't going to be anywhere near our neck of the woods for at least the rest of the year....

anyway, if they are going to be in your area, i highly reccomnd seeing them!!
Junbabe14's Avatar Junbabe14 12:29 AM 07-01-2004
Hello everyone !

Is this the correct board for Christians now? I was reading the other thread and when I scrolled to the last page it said it was redirecting me to the new thread . I'm just a little confused :

I would love to join this thread if it is speaking of Christianity. I'm rereading my bible (everytime I read it I learn something new). I'm also working on the Lord's purpose for me, which is putting together my own Christian magazine (after I have my new bundle in Oct.) But I don't think I can mention it on MDC bc I think its against the rules.

I just like connecting with people and learning others opinions on subjects pertaining to the Lord and his principles. I don't have that many people to connect with now that I'm prego and a SAHM.

If this is the correct place, can someone please let me know...

Thank you and many blessings!
EmmaJean's Avatar EmmaJean 02:03 AM 07-01-2004
NM, thanks for that lovely discription of Revelation! That is a book that is kind of scary and confusing to me. I totally avoid it. I know I shouldn't but it's just difficult for me and actually causes some anxiety for me. I don't really like to think about "eternity" b/c I don't understand the finality and foreverness of it all. Most of my life, I've had a strange thought process about it all that stresses me out and I hate to think about it. I think it's b/c I feel like I'm not doing enough here on earth (like I'm definitely "born again" but I need to be "storing up treasures in heaven" more, yk?)! Or there are friends and family I wish I knew would be there. Anyway, I need to pray for more peace about it all and understanding. Sorry to ramble!!! I am really excited about being w/ my grandma again and spending time w/ Christ and just how perfect it will all be. I just can't wrap my human mind around what "forever" means, yk? And that's the scary part. A Jeh. Wit. recently told me, "God gave us His Word so we could understand Him. He wouldn't make anything that we can't understand (speaking of the "trinity" which they don't believe in)". Next time she comes by, I'll ask her if she can totally understand the concept of a God w/ no begining or end or what "eternity" really means.

ANYWAY....speaking of the trinity, the book she gave me said "trinity" isn't even in the bible anywhere, but I know there are passages of Jesus saying "the Father and I are One" etc. Can anyone help me w/ this? Despite me telling her to not come back, she did last week and I know she will again, so I need to study my Bible more!

Thanks for letting me ramble. Even if no one reads what I say here at MDC, it's therapeutic to get it out and *think* that people are reading it and care!
DaryLLL's Avatar DaryLLL 02:15 AM 07-01-2004
Not a C'tian, but a Bible reader.

Revelation of John was not canonized until the 5th century and was hotly contested. No doubt just b/c it is so confusing and scary and practically indecipherable.

I found "The Complete Idiot's Guide" to it rather helpful. I suggest reading Daniel and the beginning of Ezekiel first. RevJn is dependent to a large degree upon the imagery found in those Tanakh books.
hotmamacita's Avatar hotmamacita 02:20 AM 07-01-2004
DaryLLL

Glad to see you are back.

How is that 'idiots' guide? What sort of format is it in? What do you like and dislike about it? I've seen it and always want to get time to look through it but I always get interrupted....

speaking of which....
indie's Avatar indie 03:29 PM 07-02-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL
I suggest reading Daniel and the beginning of Ezekiel first. RevJn is dependent to a large degree upon the imagery found in those Tanakh books.
I totally agree with this. Many, many things will become clear if you do this.

I haven't read Revelation since I took New Testament survey my first year in college.

EmmaJean,
It is true that the trinity is never specifically mentioned in the Bible. The argument that God wouldn't make anything that we can't understand is obviously untrue. I can think of tons of things that God made that even the smartest humans don't understand. And if the Bible were so easy to understand then there wouldn't be so many different interpretations of the same passages.
hotmamacita's Avatar hotmamacita 07:08 PM 07-02-2004
T

How bout those Yankees? (okay, I am expecting DaryLLL to give me some.....h&ll over this.)
indie's Avatar indie 02:52 AM 07-03-2004
Quote:
T

How bout those yankees? (okay, I am expecting DaryLLL to give me some.....h&ll over this.)
You had better capitalize that hot little mama, if you want to avoid confusion. My dh works at a school in TN although we used to live in Boston. One day his students were talking about the "damn yankees" and my dh joined in disparaging them until he realized that they were bringing up old Civil War rivalries not baseball rivalries.
Ms.Doula's Avatar Ms.Doula 03:17 AM 07-03-2004
Just writing REAL QUICK to tell you all my Puter is DEAD.

DH is "fixing it"

It'll be a week or so....

SORRY- Ya'll have to miss me till then!

hotmamacita's Avatar hotmamacita 03:59 AM 07-03-2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by indie
You had better capitalize that hot little mama, if you want to avoid confusion. My dh works at a school in TN although we used to live in Boston. One day his students were talking about the "damn yankees" and my dh joined in disparaging them until he realized that they were bringing up old Civil War rivalries not baseball rivalries.
Well, I am sure that DaryLLL using that expression right about now..... "those $%*# Yankees......"

Okay, I'll go change it, Indie.
tinybutterfly's Avatar tinybutterfly 11:45 AM 07-03-2004
Just popping in to say thank you for prayers and good wishes. This was the BEST vacation I have ever had! So thankful! tinybutterfly
tracymom's Avatar tracymom 01:38 PM 07-03-2004
: No time for more right now

Hi, mamas!
Natalya's Avatar Natalya 04:04 PM 07-03-2004
Daryll-
Thanks, Daniel did help. WHy did I never know that stuff was there before? It is so cool and insane that he gives a few people the same vision. I shouldn't be suprised, but I am. And it also helps to know that Daniel was scared and baffled too.
So you guys, I am living with my grandma's aunt now (this is the fourth move in Zane's 4 month life ) and I really need prayer. I've been here a day and I feel depressed. SHe had a stroke and needs someone to take care of her (no hardcore bathing or anything, but laundry, meals, housework etc). I don't know why I'm depressed, I am blessed to have a job I can have Zane around too. I guess I'm lonely. To have a convo with Aunt Betty you have to scream and repeat over and over and over, so it doesn't even seem worth it! The room I'm staying in has all kinds of depressing scary dolls, ok, baby's awake. i guess pray for me to find a good church and a friend... thanks!
hotmamacita's Avatar hotmamacita 09:50 PM 07-03-2004
Will do. CLing to the cross, Natalya. Sometimes it is really all we have in this world.
pammysue's Avatar pammysue 12:33 PM 07-04-2004
Hello everyone!! I have been lurking here for a while :, but I haven't really had anything to contribute. So, I never joined in. Well, here's my story:

I was raised Lutheran, went to a Christian grade school, high school and college. I have always been a Christian, though I have not always "walked the walk" (and still struggle with that everyday). I dedicated my life to God in high school. I was in in-school suspension, which meant I sat in the sanctuary of the church our school was in, alone doing nothing. There was a Bible there, I picked it up and started reading the in Psalms and felt God calling me to dedicate my life to him. So I did. I wish I could say that my life was completely different from that point on, but it wasn't. I filled my life with school and work and sin, sin, sin.

Now, I am married and DH is a pastor. So that makes me a "pastor's wife". That title that still amazes me as I am certainly not your typical pastor's wife. But I say it just shows God has a sense of humor and remind myself that I would not be here if He did not want me to. And He knows so much more than me.

But the real reason I posted today is because I have a question for all the Christian mommas. There are a few things that I want to research, most of them as a result of threads here. So, I am wondering if any of you have found any great websites I can use for this. I am pretty conservative, believe in the verbal, plenary inspiration of the scripture and am really looking for something that is strictly Scripture based.

TIA
tinybutterfly's Avatar tinybutterfly 01:02 PM 07-04-2004
pammysue, I don't even know what plenary means...I will have to go look that one up! And I read alot! No help from me, sorry! Someone will be able to help, though. I just posted a prayer request on another thread and wanted to post here, too. We just need to find a good church home. One that will work for my dh, both my boys and for me,too. And I'm worried about breaking rules posting prayer requests here and not on the sticky, but it doesn't seem to get used much...and I see prayer requests all over the place on other sites. Sigh. If I am doing it wrong, please tell me. I have to get off here. Been on a good part of the morning. Bye! tinybutterfly
Peppamint's Avatar Peppamint 06:58 PM 07-04-2004
tinybutterfly- a good way to get your prayer request heard would be to post it on the sticky, then post a link in your siggie. I assume that isn't against guidelines and if someone knows who you are and wants to pray for you specifically, they have an easy way to see what your need is.

pammysue- Welcome! I hope you can find a good website for your research, I don't have any suggestions unfortunately!
Natalya's Avatar Natalya 02:36 AM 07-05-2004
tinybutterfly- i am so glad you had a good vacation. i've been praying for ya.

Quote:
Will do. CLing to the cross, Natalya. Sometimes it is really all we have in this world.
thanks hotmama, i try to keep reminding myself of that. today i went to church with my aunt and though i didn't really like the church (when will us church people learn to stop staring and start loving?!?) i got the bulletin and the bible verse printed on the front was "keep alert, stand firm in your faith, be courageous and strong. let all that you do be done in love." 1 corinthians 16:13-14. so there i am eating breakfast with a bunch of old fogies and i start crying! out of happiness and thankfulness though. then today my aunt's granddaughter & her fiance came over (she has a 1yo girl) and we hung out, talked, watched the boys light off fireworks. we get along good and are going to hang out more. who am i to even deserve the smallest comfort from this great God i serve? and yet, he is always there, hallelujah!
thanks for your prayers, i am so thankful for you all.
hotmamacita's Avatar hotmamacita 07:12 AM 07-05-2004
oh your post made my heart leap.
tinybutterfly's Avatar tinybutterfly 12:43 PM 07-05-2004
busybusymomma thanks for info on how to ask for prayers. I will look around and figure out to make a siggie, and thanks for showing me how it works. Hope your son's spider bite is doing better. I used to live in southern Ky., where recluse bites were fairly commen. I was bitten and got Keflex and a steroid-type ointment. The doctor said everyone's body reacts differently to the venom and I had to to just watch for about two weeks. Mine was a large swollen area on my calf that was so purple it looked black, then it got that red, white and purple ring look. Never got the black dot in the center, which is the necrosis (sp.) It turned grey(eventually after several color changes) and took forever to go away. Sometimes the area will still ache.Will keep your little boy in my prayers. Natalya thank you for your prayers. Will keep praying for you. So glad you had a wonderful day at church. tinybutterfly
Peppamint's Avatar Peppamint 01:46 PM 07-05-2004
Thanks tinybutterfly! When I pulled the bandage off this morning (gotta keep it covered or else he scratches it raw) all the redness around the wound was gone! \o/ Praise God! So it looks much, much better and I guess we'll continue using the Keflex although I hate antibiotics.
Thalia's Avatar Thalia 10:09 AM 07-07-2004
Just popping in for the roll call. We're not even TTC yet, so I'm not on the Mothering boards a lot, but it's great to see this thread here.

By the way, have any of you heard of Doxa Soma? It's a way of worshipping that involves different body positions and stretching and meditation. Kind of like yoga or Pilates, but the whole purpose is to connect with Jesus. A friend of mine developed it and there's going to be an article about her and her practice in the August issue of Yoga Journal.
First ... 3  4  5 6  7  15  ... Last

Up