Christ Followers/Seekers/ plain ol' Christian thread--all are welcome - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 1377 Old 08-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hotmamacita, I have found some the writing by this lady helpful. Kings High Way

A question for all you lovely ladies? Do you ever find that if you try to focus on what God wants vs what you want that it is easier to be more loving with others? I've been trying to see people through God's eyes and not mine and it has been helping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 1377 Old 08-23-2004, 11:32 PM

Hi, Gals...
I messed up and started a "new thread" under spirituality instead of posting a "reply" here...So, maybe you could pop over there for my intro? LOL Basically, I'm very excited to be here. It's really hard to find a place to "fit in" as a Christian AP mom. Almost like the two are mutually exclusive. My DH (a minister) lost his last church due to our AP lifestyle. <sigh> Anyway, "So, how 'bout that GRACE?!" Ah, I cling to it each day. We're all screw ups. But GOD loves us anyway! Isn't that amazingly cool? When folks ask my wonderful DH if he considers himself to be "conservative or liberal" he usually answers, "Radical." because that's how God is. Ok. I'm done for now. Peace, love and work gloves to you all.
CCM
#243 of 1377 Old 08-24-2004, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyChristianMa
Almost like the two are mutually exclusive. My DH (a minister) lost his last church due to our AP lifestyle. <sigh> Anyway, "So, how 'bout that GRACE?!" Ah, I cling to it each day. We're all screw ups. But GOD loves us anyway! Isn't that amazingly cool?
Isn't it incredible how Christians sometimes respond to AP/breastfeeding etc? It embarrasses me as a Christian sometimes!

Welcome!
#244 of 1377 Old 08-24-2004, 02:18 PM

Yeah, I have a t-shirt for DD that says "Jesus was breastfed" :LOL
#245 of 1377 Old 08-24-2004, 07:16 PM

...about many Christians being terrified of AP. I love the Jesus was Breastfed shirt! LOL I'm pretty sure he co-slept, too. It seems that so many Christian parents are soooo uptight, worrying about raising "good" children, they totally lose the joy of being parents! When you think about how Jesus *disciplined* (ie taught His disciples...after all discipline is *teaching*) he did it in what I would consider a very AP way. He spent a lot of time w/ them and led gently. I'm sure that bunch of fishermen (et al) was very aggravating at times, but there is no account in the Bible of Him flogging them with a "rod." Granted, He was dealing w/ adults and we deal w/ children--even more reason, I think, to be patient w/ our tots. Notice, I did not say "permissive"...I'm one of the least permissive moms you'd meet, but we still strive to teach gently.
Peace, love, and work gloves,
CCM
#246 of 1377 Old 08-24-2004, 08:16 PM

CCM, I am SO glad to read your post today! I have really had it with a woman at our church who is a very active member. She really has good intentions in lots of ways and is very helpful in certain instances, but it makes her very vocal and omnipresent parenting style even more annoying because I KNOW that others see her as some ideal christian parent. She is a huge Babywise supporter and was quite angry with me when I stopped the church from offering the Ezzo parenting program. Instead I taught a parenting series for them based on Sears' Christian Parenting book. I have decided that the next time she gets in my face and challenges me about Christian parenting being incompatible with gentle discipline I'm just going to say, "Show me the scripture which illustrates that Jesus ever hit those he was trying to discipline, ie teach, and then we'll discuss this."

Sometimes I feel like I'm swimming against a very strong current and it just wears me out.
#247 of 1377 Old 08-25-2004, 11:25 AM

The Ezzo stuff really bums me out. We have lost friends over it--not because I was "in their face" about it--that's *not* ME...I generally "live and let live" and just pray for the Holy Spirit to do any convicting that needs to be done. The couple just didn't want anything to do w/ us because we weren't "like-minded." Sigh. We had been very good friends. At the last church my DH ministered in, he purchased the Sears' _The Parent Project_ and offered it. Noone wanted to take the class! I guess the good thing was that noone wanted to do Prep for Parenting, either. It seems like the folks I've known who tout the Ezzo stuff are really eaten up w/ pride. I've heard many times, "We do Prep because we don't want *our* children to act like *so-and-so's* children." Our Lord has a way of humbling us when we give into the temptation of being haughty. Believe me, I know! LOL He's done it to me a lot and I'm sure He's not finished.
Yes, Fianna, we *are* swimming against a very strong current! It's of utmost importance, though, to not be haughty or prideful about it. GRRRR! It feels so good to be prideful!!! LOL A question: how old is this woman's children? A favorite author of mine says, "We judge our parenting by how our *grandchildren* turn out." WOW! So, even if she seems to "have it all together" now, just wait..."pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall."
You know, the Ezzo stuff is so wrapped up in *behavior* and *doing*...I see little grace. I hate the *doing* because I think it can lead to legalism, which basically crucifies our Lord all over again. How sad that must make God! Ok, I've rambled on long enough...Let's remember that His grace *IS* Amazing.
CCM
#248 of 1377 Old 08-25-2004, 11:50 AM

Thanks for your words, CCM. I agree about the pride. While I would love to eat that woman for lunch, in all honesty I'm much more bark than bite. I've learned through many errors that one must be kind and gentle and role model to convince others to see our side. In your face confrontation just drives us farther apart. The woman has two children who are ages 5 & 8. Her daughters are delightful but the older dd has an air of sadness about her. Her mother plays obvious favorites to the younger one, and it is heartbreaking to watch. She did not come to the parenting series I presented but others did and were very positive about it. I had requests from several parents to offer more in the future, so at least someone is hearing my message. And now that I am teaching Kindermusik for the church I'm gaining even more exposure to parents and children there, so hopefully through exposure to my children and my parenting style, others will at least see that AP parenting does produce healthy, happy, well-behaved children.
#249 of 1377 Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 PM

Good for you, Fianna, for sticking in there and working to change the climate at church. I know I used to just want to give up and move. LOL. Actually, we *did* do that. It's kinda sad about that lady--with only two children and them sooo young, she's got a lot of parenting to do to call herself "a success." ;-) One thing that always got under my skin was that the Ezzos have 2 (count 'em) children and many Christians drool over them....and Dr. Sears had *8* and people act like he's a quack! LOL Sigh. You know, I think it all boils down to the fact that humans like *their* way. We're a selfish lot. We want to have children, but not be inconvenienced. The Prep stuff promises all that. It appeals to the "me, me, me" in all of us. I pray that we *all* learn to give of ourselves more and more. I'm excited to be on this board and finally feel "free to be me." :-)
CCM
#250 of 1377 Old 08-29-2004, 11:29 PM

i consider myself a liberation theologist. i studied it in nicaragua in the 80's. that being said , i believe christ was a peace maker.
#251 of 1377 Old 08-31-2004, 05:21 PM

Hi Mamas! I hoping some of you can answer a question for me. I was baptized and raised Catholic, but for the past 10 months have been attending a non-denominational church and loving it! My question is, do I need to be baptized again? Is that what being "born again" is all about? I've been embarrased to raise the question in my Bible study group. Sometimes it is easier to ask a group of women you don't know! Thanks in advance.
#252 of 1377 Old 08-31-2004, 05:48 PM

Do you mean you were baptized as a baby?

I think it is up to you. I would. Do you feel you are becoming closer to God? If you have excepted jesus Christ as your saviour than the next thing the God asks is for you to be baptized. by you being baptized at an age of awareness of what your actually doing is alot more meaningful to you yourself. Do you have to? I don't think so. But you might want to for the self satisfying feeling.

Steff
#253 of 1377 Old 08-31-2004, 06:17 PM

Steff, thank you for your reply. Yes, I was baptized as a baby and then confirmed at the age of 13. And, yes, I do feel like I now have a personal relationship with Christ for the first time in my life. So I may just explore this baptism thing after all.
#254 of 1377 Old 08-31-2004, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasmama
Steff, thank you for your reply. Yes, I was baptized as a baby and then confirmed at the age of 13. And, yes, I do feel like I now have a personal relationship with Christ for the first time in my life. So I may just explore this baptism thing after all.
Welcome to the family.
#255 of 1377 Old 08-31-2004, 10:54 PM

I was baptized as a baby and then confirmed as a teen. I am going to be baptized as an adult also. I have not done it yet becuase the church I am attending does not have an imersion tank (is that what they're called?). Only a place to "sprinkle" babies. I am going to do it as an outward sign of my commitment.

I think it is up to you though. I would talk to your pastor about it. I am sure you would not be the first to bring it up to him. Also, pray about it! :

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#256 of 1377 Old 09-02-2004, 05:02 AM

Hello! I am a newbie and somewhat confused as to how and where to introduce myself. Hope this is OK, PM me if I've made a mistake.

A little about myself... My name is Kelly, 27 y.o. and a Christian for 6 years this September... wife to Ralph, mom to Sophie (2 1/2) and Nels (5 months). Um... tandem nurser, cloth diaperer, left my field of chemical engineering about 2 years ago to be a SAHM... annoyed with the hippie-dippie New Agey culture of the town I live in, while sometimes criticized by other Christians as being too crunchy and politically liberal!

Nice to meet you all!
#257 of 1377 Old 09-02-2004, 11:40 AM

I'm here! I have no idea what I may post...but here I am. LOL We had a wonderful, busy weekend--DH actually had some time off! So we played all weekend, and I've been working since Tues. to catch up on house work. sigh...missed you all!
CCM
#258 of 1377 Old 09-03-2004, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyChristianMa
When folks ask my wonderful DH if he considers himself to be "conservative or liberal" he usually answers, "Radical."
My FIL who is also a minister always says the same thing.

Everyone, I could use some prayers. We are having a lot of stress right now.
#259 of 1377 Old 09-03-2004, 05:10 AM

How have I never found this thread? It seemed to pop into view just when I need y'all ...

I'm sitting here crying at my desk. I have been so discouraged lately by the prevalence of harsh discipline among the Christian community that I know. Everywhere I turn this week, the topic of hot saucing is coming up, and it makes me so sad. I want so much to be involved with a church and a homeschool group and have real-life friends who don't hurt their children in the name of God. Why can't you all live in my town?
#260 of 1377 Old 09-03-2004, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Midnightowl, me too

Lately the world, both at large in my small corner of it, seem very harsh, especially to children. Those poor poor families in Russia who lost dear ones in the hostage disaster today have been in my prayers. And, my homeschool group seems FULL of families who feel it is their Christian duty to hurt their children. Really, there is a strong implication from some that to NOT use physical discipline is unChristian! Can you imagine Jesus hitting a child (or hot saucing or squirting a crying baby with a water gun or...the disgusting list goes on.)

Although I am mostly a lurker, it has been uplifting to read from you all and know that you support my walk in Jesus's path, even if you don't know I am here.
#261 of 1377 Old 09-03-2004, 07:38 PM

Just saying hello, Ladies.

Welcome midnightowl!
#262 of 1377 Old 09-03-2004, 07:56 PM

hello blackie and welcome.

hello midnightowl, God works in awsome ways.
#263 of 1377 Old 09-04-2004, 02:19 AM

John 16:33

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#264 of 1377 Old 09-04-2004, 11:49 AM

Hi Midnight owl and ann marie.

Hi everyone else. Still here lurking. Not posting as much lately, too much to do!
#265 of 1377 Old 09-04-2004, 07:24 PM

Just checking in. Glad to know you all are here.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#266 of 1377 Old 09-06-2004, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WOW! Finally a place for us! Thanks for starting this thread. I'm a preacher's daughter, raising my family in a Christian home

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#267 of 1377 Old 09-07-2004, 12:23 AM

Hi daisymommy! Welcome. I'm a pastor's kid too.

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#268 of 1377 Old 09-07-2004, 04:43 AM

[QUOTE=Ann Marie] Really, there is a strong implication from some that to NOT use physical discipline is unChristian! Can you imagine Jesus hitting a child (or hot saucing or squirting a crying baby with a water gun or...the disgusting list goes on.)
QUOTE]

I have been told that I am not following Christian principles because I do not spank my children. I ask myself, can these people really picture Jesus harming a child? If only they would ask themselves "what would Jesus do today in this situation?"

What is hot saucing? maybe I dont' want to know.

#269 of 1377 Old 09-07-2004, 12:17 PM

Lisa Welchel is an advocate of hot saucing. Apparently they put hot sauce on a kids tongue... not sure if for only "sins" of the mouth or just anything.

Weird if you ask me.
#270 of 1377 Old 09-07-2004, 01:12 PM

HOT SAUCE ON A KID'S TONGUE!!!! No way!!!

I remember years ago my dh read a dog training book that advocated hot sauce on the dog's tongue as a quick remedy for housebreaking infractions. It seemed crul, but we were kind of desperate and tried it. The poor dog would whimper and drool and rub his face along the floor to try and get rid of it. Then he would drink a lot of water which the book suggested not to let him do. This poor dog was so miserable and yet it didn't seem to have much effect on his soiling the house habit. Maybe we stopped too soon to see results, but I couldn't bare to hurt him like that. I'm sure he did not connect the hot sauce with the peeing he had done eariler anyway.

After seeing how miserable that made the poor dog, I can't imagine doing something like that to my own child. What must a child think of a parent who inflicts such torture on him?

This is so UN-Christ like! I am appaled that Christians would do such things to their own children, and it makes me want to disassociate myself from such people.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page