A Course in Miracles - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-19-2002, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have found a website that gives a daily lesson from "A course in Miracles". http://64.77.6.149/index.html I just started listening to it a few days ago and was wondering if anyone else has done it and what did you think about it. I really don't know that much about it, but I am curious to know more. Thanks
#2 of 7 Old 06-19-2002, 01:00 PM

I have tried to get into it a couple of times, however, the timing is always off for me. I really enjoy reading books by Marianne Williamson who writes based on the CIM.

Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 06-19-2002, 04:36 PM

momosmama- Hi there! I actually thought someone had resurrected an old thread of mine...I started one called Course In Miracles a few months back. A few people had done some studying of the Course. I have done some myself plus read a lot of Marianne Williamson. I love the ideas of the Course but do struggle with grasping the more metaphysical aspects like our lives are an illusion, etc. It is very interesting and challenging. Lately, I have been reading the series Conversations With God which very is similar in many ways to the tenets of CIM. Anyway, thanks for the link I will check it out..
#4 of 7 Old 06-20-2002, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my, If I had been a really clever girl I would've checked the archives first!
#5 of 7 Old 06-20-2002, 05:01 PM

I started reading a Course in Miracles about 15 years ago, but got bogged down (it's a really BIG book). But it seems so interesting. I like the idea that life an illusion. In Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy wrote that matter (or material life) is an illusion. Spirit is what is real. When you know that spirit is real and you are part of God (in him we live, move, and have our very being) then you can create the material world in the way you want it. In the Bible it talks about if you have a small amount of faith (the size of a mustard seed ) you can move mountains.
Although, I'm not there yet, I like that idea. Anything is possible.
#6 of 7 Old 07-12-2002, 05:33 PM

My friend got me involved with C.O.M when I was a teenager. We went to several retreats.

I was never comfortable with the fact that the lessons were based on Jesus. (I was raised Catholic but never believed that Jesus was anything other than mortal.)

The other thing that made me feel uncomfortable was that it seemed too much like self-inflicted brainwashing. Not saying that the course is dangerous or not - I just felt uncomfortable with it.

In the end I didn't stick with C.O.M or with being Catholic... Judiasm called to me. After over 10 years of studying, I am now a Jew.

As for my friend, she moved out to CA and got more involved in the C.O.M and the people who were holding the retreats. Eventually she found out about some corruption in the movement (somebody sleeping with young girls or some such thing) and she moved on to some other religious beliefs.

The corruption was no surprise to me. People are not perfect and any religion or practice that elevates one person over another will eventually let people down. People are just people!

Best Wishes to those who try C.O.M. It wasn't for me but maybe it will work for you.
#7 of 7 Old 10-05-2002, 02:51 AM

I love a course in miracles! I have never felt such inner peace as when I was reading the guide to inner peace (imagine that!)! It really is a wonderful thing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page