So I'm Neo-Pagan- Now what? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-01-2004, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I took the belief net quiz and discovered I'm neo-pagan. I have been having ill feelings towards Christianity for a while- (I've realized its too patriarchal for me, and I don't think its what Christ meant for it to be). But I was raised Catholic, and I believe that faith is important. I want to teach my daughter about God etc, but I don't know where to start. It seems that I actually have an excess of faith- I believe its all true. All religions, all faiths, all gods/goddess have a deeper truth that is real. I don't believe there is any specific faith/religion that actually gets it all right.

So my question is: Those of you who's faith isn't easy to describe (like under a major religion) how do you teach your children about God, faith, etc?

I have not decided what direction I need to go with my faith path, but I feel its important to be a spiritual guide for my child, so I'm looking for ideas. Dd will be 2 next month, so she's not asking questions or anything.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#2 of 13 Old 07-01-2004, 11:58 AM

You sound like a perfect candidate for the Uniterian Universalist church

http://www.uua.org/

Check it out, they might be able to help you find what you are looking for.

MM
#3 of 13 Old 07-03-2004, 02:48 AM

Hey, you sound like me..... look at some of the threads like what is pagan and can christ be defined other than masculine......

I found a good book that can help.... The Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monnk Kidd.
#4 of 13 Old 07-03-2004, 01:49 PM

Quote:
So my question is: Those of you who's faith isn't easy to describe (like under a major religion) how do you teach your children about God, faith, etc?
I think what I'll do is the same as what my parents did. As a child (from about ten years of age) I attended the UU church, and learned about all sorts of different faiths, and was left to my own devices to choose the path that felt right to me.
Right now, our UU church isn't exactly what I'm wanting in a church, but I think as more families with children start attending, it will be more like what it was when I was young.
In the meantime, I teach by example. I live my life striving to be what I consider a good person. The more I notice aspects of myself in my daughter, the more I try to be the kind of person I want her to grow up to be as well.
And I'm a very strong believer in unschooling, so I simply follow my DD's lead and answer her questions as they arise. So far, she's satisfied with very simplistic answers, but I'm sure her questions will continue to get more complicated the older she gets.
#5 of 13 Old 07-03-2004, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your replies. I will look into the UU Church, that sounds interesting and of course I will continue to read here. If anyone else has a story or idea to share I would love to read it.

#6 of 13 Old 07-03-2004, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMomma
Thank you for all your replies. I will look into the UU Church, that sounds interesting and of course I will continue to read here. If anyone else has a story or idea to share I would love to read it.

I have a question along these same lines -- I feel more of an affinity to the Quaker church, but the meeting that they have here is VERY small and most of the members are of advanced age -- there's nothing to do for my daughter.

The UUs, whom I looked into, are nice people and all, but for my personal taste and preference, they seem too...secular. Too casual. Too accepting of *everything.*

Man, does ANYONE have any ideas?? I want to find a religious faith in which I can raise my child, one with activities for children, but one that's simple, traditional, peace-oriented, et cetera.

Ideas? I know I've asked this before, so I regret bugging you folks.
#7 of 13 Old 07-03-2004, 04:02 PM

I'm sorry -- I realize this sounds like hijacking the thread. PM me if your answer wouldn't also help the OP, which is why I asked -- I thought an answer might help both of us.
#8 of 13 Old 07-03-2004, 04:10 PM

hi! timely thread for me..

i've always had a stong faith, but i've never really identified too much with any groups; i've just taken what has felt right to me. lately, tho, i've been craving a sense of belonging to something a little more structured. rituals, etc, have become appealing to me. well, i took the belief net test and my top score (at 100%!) was also neo=pagan. uu was third, at 88%. so if it's okay, i'm going to lurk on this thread, and maybe ask an occasional question..?
#9 of 13 Old 07-03-2004, 05:47 PM

A friend and I were talking last night that there is a new religion emerging that is not defined and / or included in the present existing religions and that we need to start meeting.

We were laughing at names to call our "new religion" Kristy and Michelle are right! religion and leave your offering of check, cash or canned goods for our pantry at the door!

Kidding and not kidding at the same time. Women seem to be serching for their own inclusive of divine femine religion right now, which is great. When more people embrace a religion inclusive of both male and female divinity- female traits and gifts will be valued and our planet will be more peaceful and human relationships and our environment will start to heal and right itself.

Maybe you could find a group that is similar to you in belief- even a subgroup in your local UU church and meet for your own services and/or rituals.

Good Luck, Michelle
#10 of 13 Old 07-03-2004, 05:50 PM

Can someone post a link about where to take this religion quiz. Sounds fun and I am curious.
#11 of 13 Old 07-03-2004, 09:13 PM

i agree, there is an emerging spiritual awareness that i am noticing pop up more and more, slowly nudging its way into mainstream culture. i think it's probably better if it remains undefined, and if we each just express our higher truth/purpose/love. trying to formulate belief tends to lead to conflict. but i think studying and learning about different beliefs/religions is good, and brings one closer to one's own truth, and also like minded community. i think a big part of this new undercurrent of spirituality is rooted in the arts, and that gradually these things will become very important again, culturally, and will replace the current system of greed and corruption. also, i think environmental awareness ties into this. sorry if this is too off topic!

the quiz is at www.beliefnet.com. i think it's called the belief-o-matic or something..
#12 of 13 Old 07-04-2004, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I found out that the closest uu church is about an hour away, so I think I will be putting that on hold for a while. (we hope to move soon, so maybe then I can check that out)
I have also thought about starting my own religion. Although, when I think about it, it always involves beautiful men in loin cloths..... Hey, if I'm going to be high preistess, I'll need a couple of "assistants" right?

But seriously, I agree that there is a need for a religion that balances male and female more. I like Goddess worship, but it goes one step too far for me, at least in my limited knowledge of it. I don't know who to tell my dd we are praying to, God, the Goddess, the Great Spirit? What word do you use?

#13 of 13 Old 07-04-2004, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMomma
I don't know who to tell my dd we are praying to, God, the Goddess, the Great Spirit? What word do you use?
Well, personally, I don't pray to God or the Great Spirit (though I do use both those and other terms for it). My prayers are usually answered by the messengers of the Great Spirit, my angels or spirit guide, so that's who I pray to. DD isn't really old enough to understand, but I generally just use the term "Spirit" when she asks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page