JW Mamas Part III - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 542 Old 08-22-2006, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shianne - your sig is amazing....I would love to find time to study all of the wonders of natural medicines.......now we just try to prevent disease in our house with natural immune building, etc., and don't go to docs unless it is an emergency basically.....it would be nice to have the knowledge of what herbs to use, homeopathy, etc., on top of what we already do so that when we do get sick we have what we need rather than trying to find someone to help.........UGH........thankfully I have friends who are naturopaths and homeopaths, so they are there if we need them (thankfully we have not in a LONG time)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 542 Old 08-22-2006, 10:26 AM

I agree with FLD Shianne! that is awesome!! Luckily I know so many people around here that do homeopathy, iridology <sp?>, cranial sacral etc etc that I never have to look into it .. I just pick up the phone and say "what do I do for this?"

Although right now i am reading "the immune system cure" since i am trying to find out why they tell me to do such and such.
#63 of 542 Old 08-22-2006, 08:32 PM

Thanks FLD and wryknowlicious. I started learning in 1997 because my pedi fired us since I wouldn't vaccinate. She did the whole scaremongering thing and I just turned around and told her that I knew how to treat my children better than she did since she only spent maybe 10 minutes with them at a time.
Thus began my journey. I am still studying because I don't really have the time. I should have had my cert in Chinese Herbology already, but I keep putting off my cert because things keep getting in the way.

FLD...It is so cool that you are married to a M.S. My hubby is in the Truth but struggling so much of the teaching falls on me as well as making sure my boys make it to the meetings. Sometimes it gets discouraging, but I know that I cannot worship Jehovah for him and that he needs to get his butt in gear in this time of the end.
But I had visions of serving side by side faithfully til the end with my mate. :
But my boys are doing well. My oldest son just made Unbap. Pub. (Long story short...our other cong. would do nothing for him even though he was going out in service, commenting at the meetings and such and after 4 years of meeting with the elders and them putting us off, we moved to another hall. The made him unbap. pub within 2 months.) It makes me sad, because he's already dedicated his life to Jehovah in prayer over 3 years ago. He could have been baptised by now. :
But he hasn't been discouraged, he still goes on doing what he knows is right.
My younger son struggles because of his shyness, but he goes out of his way to do things around the Kingdom hall. He does errands for the Brothers, he cleans, etc.
So, I just pray and really, really, really rely on Jehovah that he will set matters straight.

Shianne
I am just me. Cert. HHP and Herbalist and mom to three wonderful home educated boys.
#64 of 542 Old 08-22-2006, 10:09 PM

It must be hard to have a husband that is stuggling in the Truth....but it can be done.....my mom did it with my brother and I with an opposing husband, and we are both strong in the Truth.....brother is an M.S. and married to a pioneer and just gave his first talk not too long ago, and you know about me and my family......so it can be done, it is just hard. Just keep doing what you know you should be doing and pray and Jehovah will make the way clear for you!

Sorry to hear about your son. That is sad when the imperfections of men don't allow for our young ones to progress as quickly as they would like. Jehovah know what his heart is though, and hopefully he can be baptized soon. And your younger son sounds like he just needs time to come out of his shell, and aren't we thankful that Jehovah truly knows what we are on the inside and we are not the judge.............
#65 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 01:29 AM

Bakerswife you are so very welcome!!!! I still even have all your PM's from that time too lol.

Shianne I love your signature! Come move to AZ, I'll be your best customer LOL!

As for the Truth....I was raised in it by my parents, I was baptized at the age of 13 in 1993. I've had a lot of rough spots since then...much of it related to my first marriage but those days are gone.

Things aren't roses and butterflies right now (they never are in this system!) but we're moving forward...one day at a time. Llife with a new baby is a huge adjustment lol.

I just sent away for info from Calvert too.....and a few other places I think. I don't remember. I'm so tired lol.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#66 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 03:01 AM

glad i saw this! i'm studying and trying to make it to the meetings. my boyfriend is disfellowshipped but is very encouraging.

we've been together for 2 and 1/2 years and i've been studying for about a year formally although we've talked just the two of us about the truth from the beginning. i think he feels better about me studying with people who are in good standing though.

anyway, subbing for now
#67 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 11:57 AM

hellyaellen Nice to meet you! Keep up your studies and going to the meetings.....it really is the best thing you can do for your family, and hopefully your boyfriend will start going back and get himself reinstated with your example...........
#68 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 12:08 PM

Hi Ellen!!!

I was going to leave you a PM about this thread at Oct 06 when I got the email notification that you posted here.
Geesh I'm slow.
#69 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 12:30 PM

wife to my modifiedartist.gif and homeschool.gif mom to my 3 monkees dd 15 photosmile2.gif, ds13 geek.gif ,ds 9 nut.gif

#70 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 01:42 PM

Hello all!! Glad to have all of you here!

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#71 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3monkees
I found this thread in new post. I'm a little hesitant,as this is the internet. But, its so nice to see other JW moms, that wouldn't think I'm a little strange! I'm definately the odd ball in my area!
I can understand your hesitancy, but also think that to a certain extent you can figure out if someone is not the "real deal" so to speak! I "know" Lori already, and obviously a couple others know each other, so that helps with the validity of it........

Good to see you here too....nice to find like minded moms that have the same belief system on top of it all!
#72 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 02:42 PM

I've been online for almost 10 years....and while granted I can be mistaken sometimes, I've learned really quickly how to detect whether a person is sincere or not. Much of my practice came from AOL chatrooms in the late
`90's, before stronger recommendations were made. Bleh: those were the days allright...ugh lol.

#73 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 03:17 PM

Good morning! It's so nice to see all this activity on the board! Isn't it funny how you think you're all by yourself, the "odd ball", and then, BAM! You're not alone after all!

I've been a little MIA on the board - it's so easy to get overwhelmed with life in this system...add a little PMS and toddler teething issues on top (thus lack of sleep), and sheesh! Makes for one grumpy and borderline depressed mama!

I'm wondering if any of you can relate to this: I've been REEEEALLY wanting to move out of the suburbs (so expensive here in the SF Bay Area) and live in the country (I grew up in the country, in Oregon). I've almost been obsessing on it, checking MLS listings, craigslist, etc. The problem is that DH isn't as keen to the idea - he hates distraction and sees moving and all that entails as a great big pile of distraction! His schedule is super busy - childcare in the mornings while I'm at work, then working in the afternoons, and being the school overseer for the congregation, outgoing talks, etc., etc. - and he's very hesitant to even talk about something that could disrupt the schedule. Then came Sunday's WT which talked about murmuring - and I caught the part saying that being dissatisfied can lead to murmuring...which made me feel like that's what I'm doing - being dissatified with where we live...Ugh! That made me feel guilty for wanting to move! AND THEN, once I start feeling guilty for one thing, I start feeling guilty for other stuff, too: not staying home with the kids (but I also feel like I HAVE to work, because I bring home the vast majority of our income), not getting out in service more, not being as fluent in Spanish as I should be, on and on and on. : On the other hand, I have lots to be happy about, healthy kids, decent house, strong congregation. So, tell me. Should I just give up on moving?

I'm sorry, guys! I just read this over, and it really sounds negative. I guess I just need to vent. A lot of this is probably hormones talking. Maybe I should have some chocolate and be quiet! Anyway, if you have any thoughts or words of encouragement, I'd be most grateful.

By the way, Shianne, can you do housecalls to California?

Thanks, everyone, for listening. Have a good day!!
#74 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 04:16 PM

I understand wanting to be out in the country. I agree. We are actually planning on doing that in order to simplify our lives much more....can buy house for much less than rent or house here in the city. Just like the thought of cleaner air and a place for the boys to run. It is a tough choice though, and I can see it from both ways. I guess just keep it in your prayers and eat some chocolate, and then see what happens!
#75 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 04:46 PM

Oh, man, FLDoula, your advice made me . Two of the most important things in life, right? Prayers & chocolate.
#76 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingthetrees
Oh, man, FLDoula, your advice made me . Two of the most important things in life, right? Prayers & chocolate.
Especially when the hormones are raging....of course go for the dark chocolate so at least you get some antioxidants, then once the hormones are appeased allow Jehovah to do the rest!
#77 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 05:19 PM

I miss living in the country so much....unfortunately we cannot make a living down there unless you get in with the school district, city, or county. And it practically takes you knowing someone just to be able to get in. People hold the same position for yeeeeeeeeeears and there isn't much turnover. We're stuck living here in the city because of that.

#78 of 542 Old 08-23-2006, 11:05 PM

One of the reasons I'm back in Colorado, I hated California with a passion. I was so miserable there, my husband who is a Cali boy gave the o.k. He says that he has never been happier.

Btw, I do consultations through the email or on the phone. Either you can pm me or write to me...[email protected] Just tell me your from mdc. I love helping others if the problems aren't too serious. I usually make suggestions on diet change, nutrition, and some herbs that can help. If the problems are serious, I can point you in the right direction. I don't charge for friends.

Missingthetrees, I do get out to CA every now and again. Maybe we can meet up sometime. I have a brother(adopted) in San Jose somewhere and a good friend from Japan in SF.

Anyone in Colorado? We have our DC this weekend in Loveland.

Shianne
I am just me. Cert. HHP and Herbalist and mom to three wonderful home educated boys.
#79 of 542 Old 08-24-2006, 10:05 AM

You are going to be right next door to my best friend this weekend........in Longmont! Wish I was there Shianne! I would love to meet you.

DH and I are trying to buy a house and then ultimately would like to spend about 5 months a year out in Colorado, but that depends on our business and how successful it is over the next year or so.......we are hoping it really takes off and then we will be in a much better place financially.

That is so nice of you to consult for us too. My kids don't get sick much, but I will keep that in mind....
#80 of 542 Old 08-25-2006, 02:29 PM

FLD,
What type of business do you and dh have? That would be great if you could spend 5 months out of the year here.
One of these days I will have time to get my business up and running. I do massage every so often, consultations, and I compound herbs. I also make cloth diapers and slings. I would really like to make a line of health products like children's herbals, specialized blended massage oils and such.
Dh used to build databases and create websites in CA, but now he works for the phone company. He doesn't particulary love his job, but it pays well with great benefits.

What is everyone doing this weekend?

Shianne
#81 of 542 Old 08-25-2006, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shianne
What is everyone doing this weekend?
Sat. morning bookstudy and service,
afternoon my in-laws are coming to visit.. so late lunch with them and then
evening they'll watch the girls so Emo and I can go out sans kids (I am going crazy!!!)

Sunday
morning breakfast, cleaning and then grocery shopping.
maybe a group nap (wouldn;t that be nice) and lunch.
then cook dinner early and get the girls ready so we can leave by 3:30 for the 4pm PT & WT
try to get home by 6:30 for re-heated dinner, bathe the girls and then wash uniforms for the week.

man I remeber back when I was working and we had no kids the weekend basically was a sleep marathon broken up by 3 1/2 hrs of service and throwing on a skirt while leaving for the meeting with 4 mins to spare.

ohhh memories!
#82 of 542 Old 08-25-2006, 02:56 PM

Try to get in service.....it's so flippin' hot and humid and I hate taking Davey out in the weather....but I must. I can't read to him all the time lol.

Go to a sister's salon to get my hair cut finally! And colored to match my son's color. Should be interesting....never gotten my hair professionally dyed before. Probably end out hanging out with her and her husband after that.

Sunday....service, meeting, and who knows what after that....try to get my husband to pull weeds in the yard I hope!

#83 of 542 Old 08-25-2006, 03:07 PM

Morning, all!

This weekend? Let's see...book study & service Sat. morning, then family (w/siblings, their familes, my cousins & their families, all gathering at my aunt's house) dinner. Sunday - weigh in at weight watchers early (ugh! not looking forward to that part - especially after eating dinner at my aunt's huose the night before!), service in the a.m. (and go to a possible new study!! woo hoo!), then hopefully a nap, then meeting at 4 pm.

Sometime this weekend I get to re-enter all the students' names & stuff for the theo. ministry school, since our computer crashed and DH lost the most current information for the students.

Hmmm...anything else? Can't remember at the moment...

Shianne, it'd be great to get together next time you're in CA! Keep me posted!

If I don't get back to the board today, have a great weekend everyone!
#84 of 542 Old 08-25-2006, 07:28 PM

wife to my modifiedartist.gif and homeschool.gif mom to my 3 monkees dd 15 photosmile2.gif, ds13 geek.gif ,ds 9 nut.gif

#85 of 542 Old 08-25-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3monkees
Any other homeschoolers here? I feel so lost around here sometimes. I live in a very conservative, traditional area. No, other homeschooling Witness families around.
We homeschool. We've been doing it for 16 years and I've loved every minute of it...well almost. Right now we are relaxed eclectic. My oldest son was unschooled and Dusty just needs a little more direction...he craves it. Cody just graduated this year, it makes me sad. Where did the time go??? I know what its like to not have anyone in the hall homeschooling. When we were out in CA, no one in our hall homeschooled. They even frowned down upon it. When we moved to CO, there were a couple of families that did, but they were in a clique...and my boys just did not fit in. Our new hall has a bunch of homeschoolers so it is really nice. They finally have friends homeschoolers and public. Most of them do Branson School Online which is an public online school.

This weekend is our cong. DC. But we went Friday and Sat to our old hall's DC. So we are just attending on Sunday since Cody is just getting over a cold. He wants to make sure he is well so he can pay the utmost attention.
So Saturday my dh will be helping me do a tune up on the car (just pulled it out of the garage after two years. It belonged to my mom and I inherited it from her.), cleaning out our old van and getting ready to sell it, and cleaning the house...
So much fun for a saturday.

Its nice to see that we are not the only ones with Saturday morning bookstudy. We love it. It makes it so much easier to go out in service since we are already out the door. I can only go out for about an hour at a time with the baby. That's usually his time limit, not really helpful since I want to start pioneering.

Shianne
#86 of 542 Old 08-26-2006, 01:32 AM

I LOVE the saterday morning bookstudy!! It's great!
every week is "goodie" week and it;s so easy to just keep going and get some service time in. PLus you are already kinda upbeat and in the mood just coming off of the spiritual food of the book study.

I ahve to admit that I am just now gettign back into regular "traditional" service. I am really kicking myself since it is hard to establish that routine now with 2 kids. Isabella is liek a rabid grasshopper with energizer batteries and Eloisa can;t stand to be more than a milimeter from my skin at any time.
So this has been hard. DH nad I have been switching out who goes when.

For the last 2 yrs I've been relying on calls, informal and phonecalls to get my time. And during my last pregnancy I went from irregualr to down right technically inactive. (I get that extreme morning sickness and spend just about the whole time vomiting and i nthe hospitol on an IV bag).

Thankfully DH and I are now geting back on our feet. He got a good job that actually pays him real $$ and benefits, we got our 1st car in 2 1/2 yrs ..(there were times when we had to get up to 3 differnt brothers or sisters to come give us a ride to the meeting - ya know 2 adults and 2 carseats). Those things really weigh on you and can depress you so that you just want to curl up in bed and stay put.

The saterday morning bookstudy is just soooooo helpfull when you are trying to maintain a routine. A - you can;t help but be at the meeting. B - nxt thing you know your out in the territory.
#87 of 542 Old 08-27-2006, 07:40 PM

Quote:
FLD,
What type of business do you and dh have? That would be great if you could spend 5 months out of the year here.
We have a nutritional supplement business that we are hoping will start to make some more money, and DH does landscaping too, which can be done in CO too!
#88 of 542 Old 09-01-2006, 11:38 PM

Do you have an idea of what part of Colorado you'd like to move to? I grew up in Aurora, so that's where we moved back to. But my oldest son wants to move to Idaho Springs or Evergreen when he decides to move out. I have friends moving to the south east end of CO because its real cheap there, but no jobs really.

What type of nutritional sups? I have friends selling many different ones, I really liked one, but I forgot the name of it and they live in CA.

How is everyone's week?

Shianne
#89 of 542 Old 09-02-2006, 03:36 AM

Bleh. Lets see....Davey decides to stuff way too much bread into his mouth and pukes everything up....then the cat coughs up a hairball. This was yesterday.

Today he's sitting o the floor and has a diaper blowout....so into the bath he goes. He is going through an odd phase....dosn't want to sit and play with toys unless I'm right there....otherwise it's being held he wants. Arrgh.

#90 of 542 Old 09-02-2006, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Do you have an idea of what part of Colorado you'd like to move to?
I would love to live in the Boulder/Longmont area because it is in the foothills of the Rockies! Hoping to spend about 6 weeks there next summer and then after that we will see if we can swing going out there for 5 months out of the year.

Quote:
What type of nutritional sups? I have friends selling many different ones, I really liked one, but I forgot the name of it and they live in CA.
Juice Plus+.....I love what it has done for my family so it is easy to talk to people about it.

As far as what we are doing this weekend, other than meetings, service, we are house hunting! Hopefully we will find something reasonable.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page