LDS mammas #5 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 146 Old 07-17-2002, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Teresa, I think your assessment is interesting. I served a mission, and I think we did pump people up like that. Sometimes I think we focus so much on the simplicity of the gospel that we can make it more simple than it actually is. Feeling the spirit IMO is actually quite a complex thing--at least there are numerous factors that affect how it is felt on any given occasion. For one thing, even if we are doing everything "right", the spirit cannot be forced. Those witnesses are freely given by the Holy Ghost when it is wisdom in God.

I can relate to having expectations not met--it is hard to come to terms with an experience being different than we envisioned. I've experienced that the last few weeks with our baby's adoption coming together. I had pictured magical, overpowering moments meeting the birthmother, excitement that would know no bounds, and continual strong spiritual witnesses that this is to be our baby. None of those feelings have really happened. At first it was disappointing, and I wondered if my lack of feelings meant that it was not to be. But I feel good. I feel peaceful, and I feel like the witnesses I want will come later, in God's own time. It sounds like even though your baptism might not have brought the feelings you expected, that you had occasions afterward to feel it in your ward.

As I sit in Relief Society lessons and
Sunday School lessons, there are many concepts that I feel we as humans oversimplify. Perhaps we don't have the time or are afraid to we won't be able to handle anything that is different from what we perceive to be the norm. I get frustrated sometimes in lessons because people stick to the "Sunday School answers" when real life doesn't always work like that--and it can leave people hanging when their lives, feelings, thoughts don't always fit that perfect mold. The spirit isn't usually dramatic for me--it's usually more quiet and peaceful, to the point where if I don't know what I'm trying to sense, I'll miss it. But I still always expect and look for the dramatic, that "burning in the bosom".
#62 of 146 Old 07-17-2002, 11:02 AM

Stacysmom, we have only had a babysitter one time in the last 4 years, other than my parents (who babysit pretty often). I just can't think of anyone I would like to have watch them, and we like to just take them with us! my in-laws are in Idaho, but I don't leave them when we are out there, b/c my MIL is just so different that what my kids are used to, KWIM??

on the conversion/baptism question-- when I was baptized, I felt a great feeling of "clean-ness" if that makes sense, like all my sins were washed away. and just a closer relationship with God from that point on. and like I had just make a commitment/covenant with God, like when I got married. Make sense?
#63 of 146 Old 07-17-2002, 11:04 AM

Quote:
(my ds used to call them "sister maries, since missionary is so long! )
I had a little girl on my mission call me "Mrs. Airy". It took me awhile to figure out that she means "missionary".
#64 of 146 Old 07-17-2002, 01:39 PM

Teresa- I'm SO glad that you joined our thread! I do know to a degree what you're talking about. I joined the church when I was 10 with my Mom and sister. Everyone just assumes that I joined b/c my family was and that I didn't comprehend it but that's just not true. My father was against us getting baptized b/c he felt like we were too young, so it was a definite choice. We had a great baptism and then all the trials came. I was active and went to church for the next couple of years and then drifted away when my parents divorced. It wasn't until I was 14 when I decided that I really wanted/needed to know if it was really true. I felt like, if it was true then I'd live the gospel but if it wasn't then I could go on with my life and not look back. I think we've all heard those stories about other people's experiences and I know that I wished I could have a super conversion story like them. After I prayed to know if the Book of Mormon was true I remember not really feeling anything powerful except the little thought that I should just keep reading every day and continue going to church. Hmmm.. I thought, alright I'll try this for a little while. I can say that my conversion happened in very small, subtle ways. As I would study the scriptures, in particular the Book of Mormon, and think about things I would have experiences throughout my day that would confirm the truthfulness and validity of it. Things would just match up and make sense, things that I had been thinking about that week we would talk about in Sunday school and it clicked. But it still is a process that everyday I need to keep praying and reading, i've noticed a huge difference in my life since I haven't been pondering the scriptures as much these past couple of years and it's taken a toll.

I definitely _do_ think that christianity and goodness are not synonymous. I certainly know many, many people who are of other faiths who are incredible people who do so much good. And conversely I know some christians who need to work on what they believe if ya know what I mean? I know that as Latter-day Saint members we do believe that other religions have pieces and parts of the truth.

As far as church members gossiping, that's part of what drove me away from the church originally. People can be so judgmental when they just need to be loving and understanding. When I was coming back into the church when I was 14 it was in great part b/c I met a wonderful friend who moved to our ward. She was the only sincere, kind and supportive person who could see that I had a good heart..not was I was doing or that my parents were divorced. She was the essence of true christianity and that helped me at a time when i really needed it. Now I understand the scripture when Christ is talking to the Pharisees saying that he didn't come into the world for the well but to heal the sick. I think this is what keeps my sister from coming back into full activity, b/c she sees some negative attributes of the members. Yes, the gospel is whole but some members of the church are not always the best exemplaries of it..but hey, that's why we have the gospel- to help us overcome our own selves and be better people every day.

I hope that made sense. I would definitely call the sister missionaries in your area (www.lds.org should have a listing of your local ward #) and have them reteach you the discussions! It would give them some good practice.

Staceymom- Which ward are you in btw? Some of my good friends are from the ave.s. They were from the Federal Heights ward. I think you need to do what you feel is best re: when to leave your baby. Esp. if he/she is going through a bout of separation anxiety. They'll get through it quicker and better if you don't force them into a separation situation. Ds was the same way and I only just became comfortable leaving him for short periods of time with my good friends who have kids the same age. They play together with their toys (or squabble sometimes ) and have fun. He's never cried once when I left him. The longest I'll leave him has been 4 hours (to go to the temple), plus it's miserable when you're miserable on your date worrying about the baby so it's not even worth it. Plus it's much cheaper when they're that age to just bring them with you, esp to a movie. Ds would watch, nurse and sleep!
#65 of 146 Old 07-17-2002, 11:50 PM

So in response to 2 questions:

When dd was 6 until about 15 months old, we didn't leave her with ANYONE, b/c she had such stranger anxiety. She was okay with either dh or myself or both, but no one else. She still struggles with being left with other adults (now about 27 mos.), so much so that I got an 11-year old mother's helper in our ward to come and entertain her during dd #1 violin lessons. Instead of leaving her with my friend, during which time she SCREAMED the whole time (less than 2 hours). We haven't been to the temple together since January, and we often sit in nursery with her. I'm just so not into rushing her, but I often feel tied down about it. If you can have evening alone together time and you're not feeling put off by your together time with her, then there's no rush at ALL to have her stay with someone. Instead of going out to eat ourselves, we usually take our dds with us. At least we don't have to cook.

DiaperDiva:

My dh is a convert, and so when my dad baptized him, it was an incredibly happy and peaceful day, but it wasn't emotionally loud. He described it as not feeling enmity or frustration toward anyone or anything. Also remembering that when a person is confirmed, the person giving the blessing says "receive the Holy Ghost." And I have found even that receiving the HG is in the same bin as a lifetime of conversion--almost like you give little pieces of yourself over to God one at a time. Perhaps you felt "normal", but incredibly happy. Less stressed about eternal things. It seems like you were really tied to the people in the first ward you were in, which is good! We were exceedingly lucky in our move from dh first ward to this ward that this is an incredible ward that we are in. We can just have insta-friends--I so feel like I have too many friends b/c I can't keep up with all of them! My parents have been members all their lives, but when they were in two different wards in UT, they always always felt like visitors. Now they've moved out of UT again, but different wards take different amounts of time to warm up to new people. Not that that's right, but it's true!

Anyhow, welcome to our thread--we move to other (i.e., next) pretty fast, so just watch for #6 in the next few weeks!
#66 of 146 Old 07-17-2002, 11:59 PM

Me again! I forgot to read pg. 3

Drewsmom, I didn't remember that you were a convert (well, aren't we all?)!

When I was around 16, one of my friends' dads was reading scriptures with us and he stopped and said that he felt that everyone should have an Enos experience; that is an overpowering confirmation of the truthfulness of the gospel and forgiveness of sins, etc., after extensive struggling with prayer and mighty deep thought. Enos was in the Book of Mormon. Well, I was really really frustrated, b/c I felt so sure that I believed in the gospel, and I had never had any experiences like that. But I had many small calm warm assurances in YW, I felt certain about the Book of Mormon when I read it, I loved going to Seminary and really went for the uplift and content, not *just* because I had a crush on my seminary teacher . I told my friend's dad that I disagreed--that I felt as sure as I thought I could about the truthfulness of the gospel at that young age, felt like I had a relationship with Jesus, and was excited and thrilled to be trying to be like him and be a better Latter-day Saint, etc. I sure didn't go to church for the social scene--I didn't get along with any of the youth in my ward. Most of my friends were non-LDS.

Sorry, I've said to much.
#67 of 146 Old 07-19-2002, 12:10 AM

I think I've been on Spirituality too much the last few days, but there are some fascinating discussions! I'll hang a couple more days, then cut back, I think. Meanwhile, I posted the LDS view of the afterlife (all of it) on the "do nonbelievers burn" thread--could one or two of you look at it and make sure I didn't miss anything or that I didn't say anything wrong? It's long. Really long. P 3 I think.
#68 of 146 Old 07-19-2002, 01:34 AM

Hey Bekka-

I think you did a great job explaining our beliefs. Way to go! I think these discussions are fascinating too- it's so interesting to see what everyone else feels and believes, and I think it's incredible that (for the most part) everyone is so repectful of other's beliefs. You're amazing for being so articulate and thoughtful in your responses.

Drewsmom, I think you're thinking of AudreyJoy- she's the one that lives in the Avenues- I'm actually in West Valley.

I just heard that public schools in Utah are now requring Varicella (chickenpox) and Hep A shots to enter Kindergarten. Grrrr. We're selectively Vaxing, and varicella is one that I'm strongly against. I'm thinking more and more about homeschooling....

On yet another topic, dd has been away from me (briefly) the past two days- I went to the gym yesterday and left her in play area/ day care for forty minutes and there were no tears! Yea! She still won't go to either of my parents without screaming though, and yesterday I got a lecture about how she was becoming too attached to me and that I needed to start cutting the apron strings. Huh? : This is just one of hte few issues that I'm having with my parents lately. (See my post in the Parenting Issues forum) I only hope that my relationship with my kids isn't half as complicated as mine is with my parents.

My dh gets home form the trek tomorrow! Can't wait! It's been so hard and lonely to be by myself. Makes me even more grateful for my good husband!

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#69 of 146 Old 07-19-2002, 11:15 AM

Yeah, Bekka, I am always impressed by your honesty and conciseness while responding. You do a great job.

Stacymom, that is so rough that you are getting pressure about how you parent, etc from your parents. I can't imagine how it would be if my parents pressured me about things. Luckily we have very similar views on parenting, and my in-laws strongly believe in non-intervention when it comes to their kids' families. (although there is the silent judgement from them from time to time, and we have had to defend our parenting style to them a few times). Parenting is hard enough without pressure from people really close to you.

There is a new picture's thread on talk amongst ourselves. I think we have done that here........I remember seeing one or two pictures here. Maybe we could try again. I would love to be able to actually picture your faces when I read your posts! You can see our pictures at:

www.picturetrail.com/youngnhappymamma

Picture trail is super easy to use, I uploaded all these pictures last night from our picture files. Hope to see some of you!!

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#70 of 146 Old 07-19-2002, 12:42 PM

Bekka- your post on the other thread was beautiful.

I'm short on time, again. Just wanted to say hello and I am trying to keep up here. LOL

We are homeschooling. Last year we did preschool and we started K with my ds last month. We are having a blast. DH and I feel very strongly that homeschooling is what Heavenly Father wants for our family. This journey of ours(we have just started) has been amazing. I love seeing the excitement and curiosity of my little ones. I am so very thankful that Heavenly Father put this desire in our hearts. I am thankful for the courage He has given me to do this and the patience and stamina as well. LOL

Stacymom- So sorry you are receiving flack for your parenting. It's no fun!(the flack) My mom and sister both think we "indulge" the babies to much.

Well, little ones are crying so I need to go.

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#71 of 146 Old 07-19-2002, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

hi, nak, so forgive.
diaperdiva, i prayed for you last night. a teacher once told me that satan and or our emotions can mimick answers when we are seeking revelation and confirmation, but only the spirit can speak peace. i learn this lesson over and over and have found that peace is one of the greatest gifts. i sincerely hope you find it. a good place to look is the book of mormon.

baby is streeetching our family. i keep reminding myself that now we are 5 strong, we can handle it! ever since a few mos b4 she was born, she has kept me awake from about 10pm-1am. she just started that up again the past few nights. now that folks are gone, i cant sleep in. i have a cold and so does she, which makes nursing hard for her. during her nightly ritual, she cries and nurses a little, etc, until she does this huge throwup and usually a poop too. it makes me sad because it pors out her nose and everything. then she calms down and nurses a little and sleeps for 4 hrs. i tried starting things earlier to no avail, and tried the paciinstead of nursing. she didn't throw up, but it took forever to get her settled and she only slept for 3hrs. then it was morning. luckily my vt rescued me by watching the boys so i could zzz. so do you think she needs to throw up? how sad. help, i'm desperate for sleep. sarah btw, she is wonderful and adorable during the day!
#72 of 146 Old 07-20-2002, 01:25 PM

Bekka- I haven't read your post yet but I'm sure, knowing you, that you did a great job. I'll read it after this.

Diaperdiva- I reread my post and I hope I didn't come off sounding bad when I said to see if you could have the sisters reteach you the discussions. I just found it was so helpful when I was serving a mission to do that so that you can get a good overview of basic beliefs again and I think that the challenges in each discussion are just applicable after one is baptized, esp. if you feel (like we all do sometimes) like you're struggling. You can always get a reconfirmation of things. Let us know how you're doing.

Sorry Staceymom, I have a hard time keeping everyone straight...it's terrible! Also, I know how you feel, I doubt myself every once in a while re: my parenting skills (ie am I indulging too much? etc). I've come to realize that parents often take it negatively when they see their kids parenting differently from themselves. I hope I'm not like that when I have grandkids. I've noticed that they take it as a knock on their parenting style. I think every child wants to do at least something differently but they just forget that people are individuals and not one certain style works for every child. It sounds like they might be a little jealous that your baby doesn't immediately want to go to them. Plus, that happens with ds when I'm in the room. Most of the time he'd rather be with me. If I can get him distracted into playing with a toy and then slip into another room it's much better.

Audreyjoy- which ward are you in?

I had dinner last night with my old mission pres. and his wife. I was totally appaled at ds's behavior. He was so good that morning and very obedient but he was a basket case that night. We even had dinner early so he wouldn't be like that. I try to anticipate the situations so that he's not so cranky but sometimes you just can't win 'em all.
#73 of 146 Old 07-21-2002, 04:02 PM

Today's lesson was on "Love at Home". The lesson itself went really well, and I was feeling much better about the things that had been discussed. Then, the 2nd counselor got up to close the meeting. She proceeded to say, "Well, I just have to say that I'm a firm believer in spanking." Then, she told about swatting her daughter's foster son (even though she admitted that she knew that spanking foster kids is NOT allowed), because she thought he needed it. Then, the teacher jumped back and and said she just *had* to tell a great spanking story. She told about her 13-year-old step daughter who had been driving her crazy (we had previously discussed how you should never punish because you are angry). She finally had enough and laid the girl over the bed and spanked her over and over with a pancake turner. (She's old, so this was probably at least 30 years ago, but still....) When she finally stopped, her stepdaughter got up and hugged her and said, "Now I know that you love me like you do the other kids." So, that was the point of her story--to illustrate spanking as a form of showing love. I was appalled! The worst part was that the people who told these stories were laughing, and most of the sisters in the room were laughing too. I didn't think it was the least bit funny. There was one 90-year-old lady sitting behind me, bless her heart, who was also disgusted with those views and kept saying so--but she's kind of "out of it" so no one really pays attention to her.

For those of you who are wondering about our adoption, I thought I'd give a quick update. Our birthmom is 2 days overdue, so we're just waiting for the phone to ring. We've received lots of letters from her, and she seems to be doing well and is still committed to placing. The birthfather has now said that he will fight the adoption, but we are hoping that his life history and other circumstances, as well as his mentality, will mean that he will not get far. Of course, I want him to sign so that we can become parents, but I also feel it would be so detrimental to the birthmom's life and future plans to be basically forced into keeping the baby. It would tie her to the birthdad forever. She wants to move on, and I want her to be able to. Dh and I feel peaceful that everything will work out, whatever that means. There may have to be several months of limbo while the courts sort things out if he doesn't sign. That's a little scary to me--it's a huge risk to take a child and start bonding/attaching knowing that there's a chance she may not stay with us. But we feel like taking that risk is the right thing to do.

I have everything pretty much ready to go and packed. My diapers are about half done, but I have a great VT who has offered to finish them if I run out of time. Yesterday, I decided that the quilts I had made for the birthmom and baby are too "boyish" for a little girl, so I was up until 1:30 am making a new, eyelet-trimmed binding to add some frill to the quilts. Only now I can't actually put it on until we know for sure that it's a girl.

Well, dh is calling me for dinner, so I'd better go.
#74 of 146 Old 07-21-2002, 11:03 PM

Lisa- that's so exciting about the baby. Our little nephew ended up spending a few weeks in temporary foster care in an undisclosed location...I won't go into the whole story b/c I don't want to add to your worries. But in the end we ended up getting to add him into our family.

Bekka- About your post in "do nonbelievers burn" thread- I thought it was really well written. The only thing that I may think you need to clarify and isn't necessarily what I've heard is your take on the telestial kingdom. I haven't heard of it as being what other people think of as hell. Most other denominations think of hell as fire and brimstone kind of what I equate to outer darkness. As I understand it it's still a degree of glory and is a beautiful place to be. I suppose if one is going strictly by the definition of hell as being separation from God then it may be classified as such but then the terestrial kingdom would be as well wouldn't it? There's still no opportunity to see Heavenly Father there. What do you think? I need to do some more research on it...my sis. was the one that ironically pointed it out to me and (this is a good thing I think) is discussing it with the institute teacher there. So you might see her post in it.
#75 of 146 Old 07-22-2002, 12:18 AM

Hello everyone,

I posted awhile back, I think LDS #1 or #2 thread. Since then all I've really had time to do is read some of your posts while nursing my daughter. We moved (same town) and I have been out of town several times over the past few months. Anyway, I have thoroughly enjoyed the dialogue here and wish I could meet you all IRL someday.

Anyway, for those of you new since I was last here. I live right outside of Seattle and my husband and I have a daughter, 19 months. My husband is a convert, joined in college.

I still nurse my daughter, we have delayed all vaccinations and when we do start we will selectively vaccinate (it will be very selective, like 2) I am really into health, love to cook. We try and use as much organic as possible and I hope to have a garden this year. We don't currently cloth diaper, but I have all the stuff and did for six months. Hoping to get back on that soon. We co-slept exclusively for about 8 months and then my daughter seemed to do better in her crib so now she usually sleeps in there. We never do CIO. I would have co-slept as long as she wanted to, she just reached a point where she was getting way more sleep in her own little bed. Of course, anytime she wakes up in the night, we bring her to bed.

Let's see, what else. I was just released from YW's presidency when we moved after serving 3 years. In this new ward, I received my first primary calling ever. Today was my first day to teach. Let's just say I gained a new appreciation for Kindergarten
teachers today. I teach CTR 5 and there are 8 and I had my hands so full. I need to call up my teacher friends and get some tips.

We have only left our daughter with a babysitter (actually my friend who has a daughter close in age) once. We have no family in Washington and I have been in no hurry to use babysitters. I am not against it, I just haven't felt a huge need to go out without her. We have so much fun together.

I am running out of time and this is getting long (and boring) but, I had to comment on Laurel's previous post regarding the spanking comments. Arrrrrrgh. I'm sure that was so hard to sit and listen to those comments. It is true that some of it is just "old school" thinking, but it's tough to hear without getting really upset by it. Reading your post made me wand to keep some Brigham Young quotes handy in case I ever am present for a discussion like this.

He said in the teachings of the living prophets manual, "Bring up your children in the love and fear (respect) of the Lord; STUDY their dispositoins and temperaments, and deal with them accordingly, never allowing yourself to correct them in the heat of passion, teach them to love you rather than fear you.....Parents should never drive their children but lead them along, giving them knowledge as they are prepared to receive it...Chastening may be necessary betimes, but parents should govern their children by faith rather than by the rod, leading them kindly by good example and in holiness." What a perfect example of gentle parenting.

Oh no, gotta run for now. more later.................
#76 of 146 Old 07-22-2002, 01:43 AM

Hello again, gratefulmommy! (your post wasn't boring, by the way!! ....no post is boring when you're among friends! And I love hearing about all of you. ) That's so cool you love to cook...sounds like you cook good, whole, healthy meals. I hate to cook.........I so wish I loved it. It's more of a chore to me than doing the dishes!!!! (and I don't enjoy doing the dishes) We eat a lot of PB and J's..............

Laurel....I will be praying for you and your situation, although it sounds like you and your dh are so close to the spirit right now!! That is so awesome. I can't wait to hear news of the baby's birth!!!!!! And OH MY HECK!!! I seriously don't know if I would be able to not comment if someone in relief society (or sunday school too for that matter) basically taught that spanking is okay, etc......I am just too defiant, I'm afraid, to be tactful or respectful in such a situation. What a wonderful opportunity you have to be such a postiive influence and example of positive/gentle parenting!

I got called today to be on the activities commitee. I have mixed feelings about it. I of course accept that this is a good calling for me, from the Lord, etc. But I have to admit that I was hoping for a calling teaching older primary kids or young teenagers or something in YW or something. We have lived in a student branch without those types of callings for so long, I was looking forward to it. Oh well............I have many years ahead of me for that!! I'm sure activities commitee will be fun!

Okay, it's late.....and there is a big sale at Saver's tomorrow morning!!! And some of the MDC mom's in my area are all getting together for a play group tomorrow. That should be fun!

#77 of 146 Old 07-22-2002, 01:48 AM

and oh yeah.......it seems to me that I've heard that the telestial kingdom is going to be way nicer than anything we experience now (think how AWESOME the celestial kingdom is!!!).....but no one will be happy or feel joy because of being cut off from the Lord and the guilt of their sins and not being with family, etc.......
which makes me think of the movie What Dreams May Come. Have you all seen it? It's really good........and it makes me wonder about people who commit suicide....I know that commiting suicide doesn't free the people from the pain and heartache they were trying to escape, etc....but don't really know much about church doctrine pertaining to it...what do you think? I think the movie WDMC has a lot of truth in it about such matters....

#78 of 146 Old 07-22-2002, 02:05 AM

Welcome back GratefulMommy! I loved that Brigham Young quote you gave- do you have a reference for it?

Youngnhappy- yea for the activities committee! I'm the chair of the committee in our ward right now, and it's a lot of work! There are a lot of times that I would give anything for a memeber of my committee to actually return my phone calls or follow through on assignments. Maybe we should swap activity ideas sometime.

I love to cook! I would swap meals with all of you if you come over and od my laundry and clean the house. In fact, I thought of all of you while I was making a salad today, thinking about how fun it would be if we could all get together with our kids and dh's and have a huge dinner party! Today, I even made blueberry cobbler from scratch with fresh blueberries. Yum! I love finding new recipes and trying them out, and my husband loves to eat them, so it's a win-win situation.

Laurel- what is it with your ward and RS meetings? Too bad we can't sit together and roll our eyes at the lessons anymore! : (We used to be in the same ward, and during RS meetings, we would sit and whisper our own opinios to each other, rather than getting all frustrated with the teacher and the lessons.) We had a pretty interesting one too. It was about keeping our homes and children safe from the adversary, and a lady started talking about how you can get on the internet and find lists of all the registered sex offenders, and she thought that was a really important way to keep her grandkids safe. This generated a huge discussion and argument about repentence and forgiveness. I was sitting in the corner, nursing and quiet when one of the women who was arguing said that it didn't matter if a person had repented or not, that she still wouldn't ask me to leave my baby there with someone who had once been a sex offender. Huh? : I hadn't even been participating in this discussion, and suddenly, the whole room started going off on whether or not I should leave my baby with someone that had once been convicted of a sex crime. I didn't bother telling anyone that I don't even leave dd with my parents! Anyway, the point of this whole story is that it really bothers me when someone tries to teach their own personal opinion as church doctrine. Spanking as a way of showing love? That just does not make sense to me.

Has anyone had any experience with night terrors? DD wakes up atleast once a night lately, screaming, with no warm up or fussiness before hand, and it often takes awhile to get her calmed down again. Any suggestions? I was hoping that she would settle down, but it's been going on for a month or so.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#79 of 146 Old 07-22-2002, 02:10 AM

my older brothers who are twins had night terrors when they were young children. My parents said that they would sit bolt up right in their beds at the exact same time and scream while still asleep, but with their eyes open!! They would try and walk them around, but with night terrors you can't wake them, etc. So they would mostly just sit with them and wait for it to pass and be over. The good news is that from what I understand, the child doesn't remember any of it so it's not a scary thing for them...just their parents!!!

#80 of 146 Old 07-22-2002, 02:11 AM

Stacymom,

The quotes came from the Sunday School Manual, Teachings of Presidents of the Church, Brigham Young. The whole chapter is great. It is on Teaching the Family, Chapter 24. The actual quotes I gave were on pages 172 and 174.
#81 of 146 Old 07-22-2002, 02:19 AM

I know that commiting suicide doesn't free the people from the pain and heartache they were trying to escape, etc....but don't really know much about church doctrine pertaining to it...what do you think?

I don't know about church doctrine, if much has been said or not. My personal feeling is that by the time a person gets to the point of committing suicide, they are obviously not in their right might. I think they will be judged mercifully according to what they knew in the state they were in at the time of their death. No, I don't think death will free them of their pain, because they will take much of that state of mind with them. But I do think there is a chance for forgiveness and that commiting suicide does not necessarily condemn that person to "hell" for eternity. I think sometimes people judge those who have committed suicide too harshly, having no idea of what they were feeling that led to it.
#82 of 146 Old 07-22-2002, 02:46 AM

Hi, everyone!

Stacymom--Sometimes my husband would give our twins blessings when they were experiencing night terrors and they would calm down. Also, Bach flower essences come to mind as something that would be helpful--Rescue Remedy's been wonderful for our family.

It's late, I just wanted to check in quickly...good night!
#83 of 146 Old 07-22-2002, 03:09 PM

did you guys see this post on the spirituality board? perhaps someone more elequent than I might comment on it!

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=18801
#84 of 146 Old 07-22-2002, 05:21 PM

Laurel, I totally agree that they will be judged very mercifully. I was actually hospitallized as a teenager for being suicidal.

I will check out that thread, Mollie....when I get a minute...urgh..my boys are bickering a LOT!!

#85 of 146 Old 07-23-2002, 04:11 PM

We are in the 2nd ward in the Eagle Gate Stake but this weekend we are moving to the 25th ward in the Pioneer Stake(mosty Tongan very cool!)

:::
#86 of 146 Old 07-25-2002, 03:56 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone for their AWESOME comments on the big lds secret thread. For awhile there I was feeling very threatened about the discussion, etc., but you all did such a great job at staying level headed and close to the spirit. I feel so frustrated at times when situations like this arise that people just don't instantly know the truth...that they don't recognize the truth that they themselves fought for in the pre-mortal life....I don't know how to put this. .......there are just so many people searching, it's sad that thier search can have so many bumps and pitfalls and pain when Heavenly Father is waiting with open arms. I'm sure that is the way he felt about me when I was wandering......I am so thankful for His patience in waiting for me to come back to His loving embrace. He's cool!

#87 of 146 Old 07-25-2002, 05:23 AM
Banned

BOY! Am I out of the loop or WHAT??

I'm trying to catch up on this thread and the other one. Won't be posting on that one though. I live my faith quietly. Never could see myself knocking on doors.

We've been camping and I'm SO SWAMPED... lol, what's new? But this is so much worse. A weeks worth of orders to fill in one day. Did I succeed? No. That's why I'm up at 2:30 a.m. writing to you guys. LOL!

I LOVE you all and I miss ya'll... there's just so much to reply to and my brain is swimming in mush.

*smooch*
#88 of 146 Old 07-25-2002, 01:54 PM

Man, you go out of town for a week and look what happens, it takes me all day just to read everyone's posts, and now I'm so tired, I don't remember what I was going to say!! For now I'll just say hi and that I'm still here (sort of, summer is crazy!!). I hope everyone is doing great and I will hopefully right a more meaningful reply soon!
#89 of 146 Old 07-25-2002, 05:09 PM
Banned

Hi everyone!

Just doing some more reading and praying.

I am trying to be calm so I can hear what Heavenly Father wants me to do... Shhhh....

Wonderful memories are coming back from being in Beaverton 3rd Ward...

Baby is awake, more later.

Have a super day!
#90 of 146 Old 07-25-2002, 05:20 PM

You have all done so great on answering the other thread. I don't feel brave enough to respond. Thanks for all of your dedication!! The testimonies you have shared are beautiful.

Teresa-
I am so proud of you for listening for the Spirit! I wish you well and I pray that you find peace and calm.

I hope everyone is having a GREAT day!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page