Ideas for naming/welcoming ceremony - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-02-2002, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for ideas for a naming/welcoming ceremony for our son. We would like to formally welcome our son into our community, and pay a special tribute to the couple we have named as godparents/guardians. What is the tradition in your family/community?
#2 of 5 Old 07-03-2002, 02:54 PM

We had a naming ritual for our son that combined our Paganism, DH's family's Christianity and my family's Judaism.

We all went outside and stood in a circle holding hands.
We explained the meaning of DS's name, and also his Jewish name. (it is a Jewish tradition to have a Jewish name after close relatives who have passed away.) We had DH's mom and my parents talk about his ancestors and lineage and we asked for the ancestors' blessing.
Then we went around the circle and asked everyone to make a wish or say a prayer or blessing for DS.

I am leaving out some of the Pagan elements cause I don't know if you are Pagan.. but that is the gist of it.

Then we ate!!!
#3 of 5 Old 07-14-2002, 10:48 PM

hi laurel, i'm esther at promom- but amy in real life, i don't know why i use a different name here, for fun i guess- anyway i have recently become a member of the unitarian universalist church and we are having a naming dedication ritual in the fall for sid. i am also interested in ideas for the ceremony, i'm not christian but i have a catholic background i don't think my son was born in or of sin so i am looking for some other sorts of rituals- appreciate any suggestions ) pagan ideas are welcome!
#4 of 5 Old 07-15-2002, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think no matter what your religion the best cerimonies involve a circle, passing the baby (touch is an important part of a blessing), speaking a blessing or prayer over him/her, and eating alot of food. I really like the wine thing. As a Christian the wine thing holds special signifigance. Perhaps we will do that this time.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 5 Old 07-15-2002, 03:37 PM

For our second son, we buried his placenta and planted a bush at his naming ceremony during his first birthday.

We then talked about the significance of his name--which was very special as his older brother named him.

People then made wishes for him and his well being and then we opened birthday presents and ate...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page