Lammas/Lughnasa - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-07-2002, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone getting ready to celebrate Lammas/Lughnasa in a few weeks?? I'm trying not to procrastinate this time, lol.

Last year we made a corn wheel and hung it over our fireplace and I'm sure we will do that again. I'm hoping that we will apples from our tree by then, but it may be a bit early. We usually tell the story of Lugh and talk about the harvest of first fruits.

What do you usually do? Anyone have any great recipes?? Or any games you usually play at this time? Favorite stories?
#2 of 20 Old 07-08-2002, 03:31 AM

merry meet and greetings!we will be doing a circle- Not sure what we'll do tho- I will be on vacation till 26th so Ill be...limited- tell me about your corn wheel? I was going to make bread- maybe a doll and burn it- be blessed!
mary
#3 of 20 Old 07-08-2002, 05:00 AM

*note to self- drag out Circle Round and come up some ideas for Lammas* Thanks for the reminder!
#4 of 20 Old 07-08-2002, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

The Corn Wheel: We took a coat hanger and pulled it out to shape into a circle. Then we took 8 ears of corn with all the husk and everything on. Pull back the husk so it is hanging down from the ear of the corn. Then hubby took wooden skewers and put in 4 of the ears at the end. Then you put the other four ears on the other end of the skewers to the both ears are facing each other with the husks going out. You then lay them out so they form the 8 spokes of the wheel with all the ears facing in and all the husks facing out. Then you wrap and tie as needed the husks around the metal coat hanger that you've shaped into a circle. You use the husks to cover the hanger. It's pretty heavy when it's done, so you have to tie good. You can add extra something like twine if you need to add support. Then we hung ours over our fireplace.

Sorry I don't have a picture.

Khris, I love Circle Round too.
#5 of 20 Old 07-13-2002, 06:45 PM

bump
#6 of 20 Old 07-13-2002, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Good idea :-) the clock is just counting down making to closer and closer.
#7 of 20 Old 07-13-2002, 07:20 PM

greetings arduinna, I have a cornwheel ? for you-
Do you mean 4 ears of corn? i tried the whole thing on paper as Ill be visiting my sissy in WA on Orcas island leaving TOMORROW !! wahoooooo-and we can use corn from her fab organic garden if its ready- and I think a wheel made with my sis would be SOooo ultra kewl! thanks for the idea, but the only way I can get it to work size wise and skewer wise on paper is with half the ears...that is if you use a metal hanger- just one I mean-
Did you mean 4 ears? if you didnt how do you get all the husks on the out side if you use 8? thanks-m
#8 of 20 Old 07-14-2002, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

well you can do 4 ears if you want. But what we did was 8 ears to represent the 8 holidays. I do think that obviously the size of the ears matter. I can see how if they were all huge that could make it hard for them all to fit the diameter of the pulled out hanger. I don't remember measuring the ears before we chose them though. The skewers only need to be stuck in the end of the corn not all the way through.

As for the husks, we just wrapped them around to cover the wire between the ears. Oh, I asked hubby as he and dd were the ones that put it together. He said he used 2 hangers. He opened them up to make a real big circle with a hook at the top to hang. Sorry I didn't realize that when I originally posted. I hope that helps.
#9 of 20 Old 07-19-2002, 12:00 PM

We will be in a car driving/moving to my home state. I forgot all about this when we scheduled our move, darn it. This year I really wanted to celebrate our holidays and so far I have fallen short of doing this in one way or another. : It sounds like you guys are doing some cool stuff though. I hope that you guys all have a great celebration.
#10 of 20 Old 07-20-2002, 05:18 PM

We are moving on Lammas, too.
I think it is a good omen for the new place.
#11 of 20 Old 07-21-2002, 12:35 PM

That's true asherah, good way to look at it.
#12 of 20 Old 07-26-2002, 07:20 PM

Hi & BB,
We will be heading to KY for our tribe gathering at a Zen temple. I haven't been there before, but my friends say that it is beautiful and the folks there are anxious to experience our drum circles - complete w/ dancing sky clad. or will it be ?
but we are really just a bunch of doing what spirit leads us to do.

I love the corn husk idea. We shall try it out! wonder if there is any ripe indian corn yet?

I was checking out the Lightworker.com site and they are encouraging everyone to say "Hello, from my Heart" on Lammas.
Send out the wonderful thankful good vibes.

Thank you all. I love you. I can't tell how tickled I am to f ind pagans on this site and have that much more in common with Mothering readers. what a sigh of relief. I so need this space to connect w/ you Goddesses. Thanks a million!

herblaunt
#13 of 20 Old 07-30-2002, 05:39 PM

We made corn dollies and set up out family altar, it has sunflowers, zinnias, peas and zucchini (all from out garden) the corn dollies, a picture of the sun my son drew and two candles. We made a chain of corn husks to go around the whole thing- it looks great!
#14 of 20 Old 07-31-2002, 08:44 AM

OK , there was no corn yet in sisters garden, I just returned last weekend and have decided to go with the traditional corn dollie part of the Dridic ritual but...
Im in S Florida and am looking for an alternative to corn that I can find in my own back yard and make into a dollie(or two-since we didnt do this last year and want one to save)- I guess Im going to have to get creative and get my butt out in the yard and...just use some twine? Do yall use ANYthing not from the garden when making the dolls (like twine)? Does anyone here sacrifice one of the dolls in their ritual? Do you cover it like that,(with the kids?)? Im coming from a Druid perspective with this and feel like the sacrifice would be an important part- Im ok with that and my kids but was wondering if anyone else around here already does that? -m
#15 of 20 Old 07-31-2002, 12:12 PM

This is the first time we are celebrating lammas, so I'm not quite sure what we will be doing. One of my friends was saying that when she and her sons made their corn dollies (which can also be done with wheat or you can get dried corn husks at the grocery store in the mexican foods section) she had her boys write or draw a fear that they have and tuck it inside the dollies, then at lammas they will burn the dollies and release themselves of the fear. I thought that was a nice idea.
#16 of 20 Old 07-31-2002, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

We don't do the dollies, but with the corn wheel we save it (hangs over the fireplace) until next year (thought being that the corn god is sacrificed and saved in the seed in the wheel until next planting time). We then burn the wheel in spring. Usually around Beltane, since that is when we would plant. I would use the seed to plant, but we haven't planted corn in awhile, so I'm sure the stuff we are buying is hybrid anyway and not good to replant. Once we have a bigger garden we will use heirloom corn and then plant the seeds next year.

Anyway, I think the offering is cool and we often do the writing thing at different times of year. Just did it a midsummer.
#17 of 20 Old 07-31-2002, 02:06 PM

thanks guys just got back from the majik store owned by a far out Druid guy, he gave me some sunflower petals to stuff dollies with- may still try to do the corn wheel- ahouldve done the dollies ahead of time.
You burn the whole wheel? guess that would be pretty darned kewl- well Ill let you know tomorrow what we did
#18 of 20 Old 08-02-2002, 03:54 PM

hey blessed be and happy lammas to all!!!!!
#19 of 20 Old 08-03-2002, 08:38 AM

ok, a few days later but just wanted to say thanks for the corn wheel idea, its really quite pretty, we copped out and bought a wreath from walmart, the one that looks like sticks shaped in a circle, and did the corn to that- and it looks very cool- will have to burn it next year- and we did the dollies but we didnt make them(Im feeling like such a capitolist) but I ended up purchasing a cheap corn doll on a stick( I swear it was made to be burned- do they do that this time of year? make corn dolls for burning? and they were only a dollar) and we sacrificed it(very big hit with the kids) and talked about the mother earth,soverign land doll that was left- maybe we will make a nice doll AHEAD of time!!! bnext year and then burn the one we have this year- or vice versa either way- we had a pretty good circle, I like to fast and do vegitarian only and no sex before a circle, it really seems to make my experience stronger- Ive had some very stron experiences lately- I think Ill post a new thread about it~m
#20 of 20 Old 08-04-2002, 11:50 PM

We had our Lammas circle today, I decorated the house with wheat sheaths and fall flowers. I made a multigrain bread in the bread machine to use for "cakes" and we used homebrewed beer as "ale" we also ate fresh salad, corn on the cob and barbequed chix wings for dinner. as it was my first "circle" it came off rather well!!

Happy Lammas everyone!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page