Any unitarian parents out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-30-2002, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! I recently started going to a UU congregation in my city and have really been enjoying the experience. Any other UU parents out there? Are your or your children involved in any religious education programs? I am particularly interested in the social action that this congregation supports with regards to human rights. What activities are you involved in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2002, 09:52 PM

Me, Me, Me!!! I am a UU & I love it! I am involved with the Green Sanctuary Committee & soon I am going to be volunteering with the RE classes.

I would love to do more at church but I have a three year old & no one to really care for him while I participate & he is HYPER-HYPER-HYPER so I could never do things with him.

There is another UU thread here!
Old 07-30-2002, 10:04 PM

Yammer!
Are you listening?
Old 07-31-2002, 01:32 AM

Hi Ive been going to a U.U. church for two years. My five year old goes to the R.E.program.[ I help out in that class, read storys, help with art work ect.] I like the class because it teaches the kids about different religions in a simplistic way.Also its been good for my son to meet pals in our community. The coffee hour is always a big hit.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:18 AM

Huh?
I am so confused!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Yammer!
Are you listening?
Old 07-31-2002, 05:07 AM

I went to UU's young adult meetings in college and loved them! I met some neat people there, and one of my friends in that group has gone on to become a UU minister herself!

We are Hindu and will raise dd that way, but in our area there are not Hindu sunday schools or other programs. Sad, I know, esp. with so many Hindus in our area. So when dd's older I am strongly considering enrolling her in some of the UU church activities. I just think it's a great organization and they teach such good moral values and respect and acceptance of all people. I was so impressed once at the UU church I used to attend in college, how the sunday school kids has displayed symbols from different faiths in their classroom.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 07-31-2002, 12:06 PM

When we attend church, we attend the nearby UU church. I don't like my little one in the nursery during the service, though, and this particular church encourages that. We will go more often, I think, when she is old enough to get something out of it (she's 12 mo now).
Old 07-31-2002, 09:53 PM

Rachelle,

Yammer has a thread (Does it matter if the religion is true or not?) in which he agonizes that he'd like to start attending a church but he can't swallow all that dogma. I recommend the UU church as a nearly dogma-less religious organization -- one that does not ask you to check your capacity for reason at the door like a worn hat. So when this UU - specific topic came up I thought I would call it to his attention. (Or call its attention to him.)
Old 07-31-2002, 10:47 PM

We go to a UU church and our kids go to the RE school. We're happy with it. We like how it's accepting of all faiths and how the kids are encourage to embrace social action.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:45 AM

I was raised Unitarian and plan on going more often with ds starting this fall.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dfoy
We will go more often, I think, when she is old enough to get something out of it (she's 12 mo now).
I thought this was kind of funny, and this is why: I'm UU and I went to UU sunday school as a kid, but I quit going as a young adult.

When the shrub got (s)elected by the Supreme court I suffered a collapse of faith in the world. I was especially afraid that he would attack our natural places and destroy the environment. I didn't know yet that he would use a "war on terror" as an excuse to attack our civil rights and make a mockery of the U.S. as a free country.

I realized then that UU Religious Education actually had given me a moral foundation to cope and I started going to the UU church again. One of the principles of the church is faith in the democratic process, and that faith is especially helpful to me in these times. I've made a moral commmitment to write letters attend public meetings and speak up about what is going on.

So I guess what I find funny is that I think my parents also made me go to church because of a vague notion that it's "good for kids." and the UU church wouldn't be "too religious". I don't think they had any idea how the UU moral foundation would shape my life.

--AmyB
Old 08-02-2002, 05:53 AM

Thanks Dale. I was so confused... I thought you were telling me to quit yammerin' on! Hahaha!
Old 08-02-2002, 03:56 PM

Lots of us UUs 'out here', and there are lots of 'latent' UUs who have always been, but just don't realize that's what they are!

We go to every intergenerational thing available at our church (kids are 11 mos. and 4 yrs.) and one of us has always attended RE with our eldest since she was 3. I didn't used to like hanging out in the nursery, but we do have the service piped in on audio.
When my eldest was a baby I just used one of the hearing-assisted devices for the seniors and took her to the church library.

Four or five years ago there were no families parenting as we did--or if they were, their children were much older or they weren't 'out.'
Now, everybody has a sling and the nursery really is a nurse-ery!

(I keep copies of 100 Questions around for those latent UUs! I'm probably as close as they get to a 'proselytizing' UU. I was especially inspired by hearing a sermon by "Salted with Fire" Scott Alexander at our church several years ago)

Our church is starting a new intergenerational RE 'program' heavy on social action. As I understand it, they will all be in 3-sessions, the first with planning, discussion, the second the actual 'social-action-work' and the final session one of reflection and processing. I'm really looking forward to it and seeing how it goes!
Old 09-14-2002, 01:41 PM

My dh was raised UU. We belong to a church in NYC, but are moving to IL soon. We went more often when ds was small- he's 21&3/4 months now. It's partly because we've gotten lazy, but also because it isn't always easy to keep him happy during services. I might try out the nursery, though the person who runs it does not parent her own child - a few months younger than mine - very lovingly.

Pam
Old 09-14-2002, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There's a UU congregation across town from us. When we finally become a 2 car family(or if DH ever gets the real weekends off), I plan to check them out. I'd like to have more of a community of accepting spiritual people than the few friends we have now.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 09-16-2002, 06:32 AM

I have a question for all you UUers out there. What percentage of your congregations would you say are some type of atheists? I recently figured out that I am actually a secular humanist and read that some UU churchs are 40 to 50% secular humanists. Is that accurate? I am thinking of going to check it out (there is one near me) but am not sure if it would be a good fit for me.
P.S. Is this bad thread etiquette - to ask a related but off topic question on a preexisting thread? Since you all are already here, I thought the right people to answer my question were already here.
Thanks,
Kirsten
Old 09-16-2002, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirsten
I have a question for all you UUers out there. What percentage of your congregations would you say are some type of atheists? I recently figured out that I am actually a secular humanist and read that some UU churchs are 40 to 50% secular humanists. Is that accurate? I am thinking of going to check it out (there is one near me) but am not sure if it would be a good fit for me.
I've never heard any particular numbers/percentages of any particular beliefs in UU churches. My suggestion is to just check out the church. If it isn't you, find the next nearest. Some are more one type than others. In Manhattan for example, there is one church that is very Christian (by our standards), one church that is basically Pagan, and one that is quite neutral (ours)...don't know how else to describe it. We have Buddists, Pagans, Atheists...not sure what the heck I am...I guess I lean a bit towards being agnostic, but can't quite commit to it. I'm also a little bit Christian (grew up in Christian Science and would probably still be in it except for that agnostic bent), a little bit Jewish - thanks to many college friends, a little bit Pagan....

There is also a church in Boston - Kings Chapel - that is so Christian that they have "revised [their] prayer book nine times" since they were established in the 17 or 1800's! (I had commented to the minister after services that they must not have changed much since the church was founded, though I think I was more polite than that.) I have been to six other UU churches (including the more Christian one in Manhattan), and none of them use prayer books.

During a Summer lay-led service at my in-laws' church, one speaker described UU as being the place for, "Lost Christians, found Jews, confirmed agnostics, and confused atheists." This is a church where a good number of their members are from mixed Christian and Jewish marriages who are looking for something they can all be comfortable with.

Quote:
P.S. Is this bad thread etiquette - to ask a related but off topic question on a preexisting thread? Since you all are already here, I thought the right people to answer my question were already here.
Not as far as I'm concerned. This is as good a place as any - besides, you've got people like me, who often go a while just checking replies to a thread they've subscribed to when they get the email notification. Besides, this was a call for UU's. It sounds like you could be one of us, even if no church near you is a good fit.

Pam

User Tag List