hospice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-30-2002, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dh and I have been discussing opening a hospice after the kids are all out of the house. We plan on buying a big house anyway, and want to convert it to a hospice then.
Anyone ever work in one or know anything about their funding sources? We are just now beginning a serious search for starting one up, and any discussion on the topic would be great. TIA
#2 of 11 Old 07-31-2002, 10:45 AM

This is a useless post as far as sources of information for you, sorry, but having had several family members already in the care of hospices, I just want to thank you for your plans. Those people were all, all saints. Thank you for working to increase the goodness-space in the world.

- Amy
#3 of 11 Old 07-31-2002, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

amyrpk, I'd really like to hear about your experiences with them, if you don't mind. It's something we , oddly enough, don't know much about except from "what we see on TV". We feel pulled in this direction for some reason, and I'd like to hear some stories about them form the members here, just to see if the work would be a good match for us.
#4 of 11 Old 07-31-2002, 08:42 PM

I started working for Vistacare Hospice a couple months ago-
we have a foundation that is for donations that are used for pt needs(phones,bills,plane tickets for family to see people before they die)
We are a FOR profit hospice-some are NON profit
It was started by a man & 2 nurses out of his basement & is #2 now ,I heard ,in the country.

try www.vistacare.com

::
momma to 4
#5 of 11 Old 07-31-2002, 09:14 PM

My husband's grandmother passed away at the end of June and was in Hospice care via a hospice nurse. She was 86 years old and one day collapsed at home, was hospitalized and found to have liver cancer and tumors in her stomach, no real surprise she smoked like a chimney and only weighed about 80 pounds. I think they usually refer you to hospice if you have 3 months or less or maybe it is 6 or so... Anyway she was given 3-4 months, she only lasted 3 weeks. They set her up at home (someone was always there) and the hospice nurse is your contact. This one was absolutely fabulous. I have also worked with some hospice nurses in the past and they do have hearts of gold. I think generally speaking there is a really high turnover rate, as it is difficult, emotionally draining work. I took a Death and Dying class several years ago to be a Hospice volunteer too. Maybe if you local hospital has something like that, you could do that too. There is such a need. Some people just linger and linger. With hospice it does not matter how much pain medication you need, if you need it, you get it. I don't think this rattling on was too informative but your work will be challenging and rewarding to say the least.
#6 of 11 Old 08-01-2002, 12:31 AM

Sunmountain - I am sooo impressed by you and your dh and your desire to begin a hospice. I have been involved with hospice work for close to 10 years and I am a big proponent of hospice care. My first exposure to hospice was when my Dad died and it was recommended that my Mom attend a bereavement group at a hospice. It was a wonderful experience for her and she soon became a volunteer. I decided to volunteer also and had several clients (patients) that I visited and I also worked with the bereavement team for a while doing follow-up calls to family members of clients who had died. Several years ago dh's sister died and they chose hospice care and last year my aunt died of cancer and she was on hospice for 3 months. They took care of both of them beautifully.

Hospice has taught me so much about death, the dying process, communication, pain management (not done very well in hospitals, unfortunately ) grief, life and living....

All ofthe hospices I have worked with have been affiliated with health systems. However, I know there have been hospice homes where maybe 5 or 6 people live while they are dying.

Here is one I have been to in San Francisco:

http://www.cpmc.org/services/coming_home_hospice.html

Also this one:
http://www.zenhospice.org/

Good luck in your endeavors.
#7 of 11 Old 08-05-2002, 04:39 PM

My Grandfather passed away March first, and spent the last few days in a wonderful Hospice Center that had only been open for a few weeks. Here are two articles on the home he was in, and may I say I think your goal is wonderful, and we considered ourselves to be so blessed to have that home and staff in our lives.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...15/focus2.html

http://www.caring4u.org/CaringPage/Apr02/Donnell.htm
#8 of 11 Old 08-05-2002, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate all of the links you guys have included here! Unfortunately I haven't gone into all of them yet, but I will when I get the time.
Seems as if this is going to be a real long-term goal, as we are realizing the possible ramifications on our marriage if we jump into this too quickly. We have always had kids, and we're going to need some time to nurture ourselves as partners first before committing to taking care of anyone else. I'm thinking of getting the kids doing some hospice work in their older teen years, as part of their volunteer requirements for homeschool , after we have taken some of the classes and put in some hours ourselves at one in town.
#9 of 11 Old 08-05-2002, 05:24 PM

I don't know much about them, but there is one near me that is supposed to be excellent, but that's only from what I've read. More power to you for thinking of something like this.
#10 of 11 Old 08-07-2002, 03:52 PM

Sunmountain, all I can tell you is what I've seen and heard about the various hospice folks who've taken care of people I loved. There wasn't the standard "hospital worker mentality" aura about them. They truly and obviously cared.

(And no offense to hospital workers meant. I'm just talking about the stereotype of the uncaring ... you get the point. Please don't be mad at me, I don't mean to perpetuate the stereotype, just trying to be descriptive.)

- Amy
#11 of 11 Old 08-07-2002, 05:35 PM

What a wonderful idea, Sunmountain--there's such a need for them. I've volunteered in a few throughout the NY region--truly a much-needed haven they are & people that run them are angels on earth!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page