Druid? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-03-2002, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone read the 21 lessons of Merlin? or Glamoury? I am really enjoying them and have to say have had some pretrty spiritual experiences- havent done the actual spells yet- theyre a little heavy for me but am really getting so much out of it- both books really, anyone else read these?
#2 of 11 Old 08-03-2002, 09:44 AM

I have something called "Excerpts from the 21 Lessons of Merlyn: A Study in Druid Magic". It's not a REAL book, but someone wrote out, like, 200 pages of the most important info., I guess, and gave it to a friend of mine. She brought it over a couple of years ago to share it with me, and it's been sitting on my bookshelf all this time!
I'll have to skim over it and get back to you
#3 of 11 Old 09-01-2002, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you really want to learn about the religion of the Celts, Druids being their religious functionaries, you might go over to www.IMBAS.org and www.clannada.org

It'll be a Real eye opener, and more historically accurate too.

"What will you do once you know?"
#4 of 11 Old 09-01-2002, 08:57 PM

I agree, IMBAS is a great resource. Much better than 21 lessons. Especially if you are looking for Celtic Reconstructionism. Although they have sense moved on from that title. I think mostly as an acceptance that we really don't know much about how the Celts or Druids practiced.

Even Alexi Kondratievs "The Apple Branch" admits none of the ritual contained is known to be accurate. But it's probably the best that can be surmised at this time while being adapted for modern day.
#5 of 11 Old 09-01-2002, 09:12 PM

One of the places I've been learning alot about this is the Celtic Recon area at Beliefnet.com. I'd forgotten that they go more for Celtic Traditionalist than "Reconstructionist" now. oops

One of their main points, that they hammer on again and again, is that these are still living cultures and that there has been a continuation of tradition even as Christian monotheism replaced the older polytheism.

I agree that we can't know Exactly what they did in ritual, but there are many traditions and traditional beliefs that have been carried over from the past, if slightly modified.

It's been interesting this last couple of years for me, since the group I study with definately mixes in Western Magical Tradtion in their practice, and I find myself more happy with a tighter historical interpretation most of the time. I'm looking for it to get more interesting the further along I go.

#6 of 11 Old 09-02-2002, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Where I live, well two towns over, theres a guy who owns a shop -he is from Scotland, says he was born at Stonehenge and so were all his kids- says he was raised Druid by his dad who was raised Druid by his dad and so forth- I think he is for real,
I mean, what is "druid" or baptist, or anything really but individual interpretation but I know what you mean, its nice to know the largest bulk of the commonly held belief so to get a more powerful perspective I think, I think power tends to lie in numbers altho (this is just for me, my perception, and it changes occasionally by the way) if someones is different Id love to hear about theirs too sometimes it (power)also tends to be...produceable from tapping an inner source or even an element which is where the power of creating ritual one's self is so...powerful(okok have I worn out the word yet?) which leads me to yet another thought...is it power I am seeking? ewww, no, I think I just woke up and hey <big smiles> its my birthday, I want to go skinny dipping in the mother ocean today blesed be, mary ps, am enjoying conversing and thankyou for the web sites, am cruising over NOW
#7 of 11 Old 09-02-2002, 05:56 PM

I think I personally would be taking that guy's statements with a Big grain of salt. Last I heard Stonehenge was not accessible to the general population, but then it might've still been unfenced back when he was born. But that's just skeptical me.

The problem I have with your interpretation of the word "Druid", and of course you are free to disagree with me, is that it comes from a particular culture and had meaning only within that cultural context. You wouldn't just call yourself a Rabbi because you thought it sounded nice would you? or Priest because you liked Catholic ritual? or Medicine Person because Native American religion(as if there was only one) is popular?

The people who are members of these living cultures feel the same way about the use of the word Druid by people who aren't culturally Celtic. The Druids functioned as "priests" and teachers and doctors, adivisors to the ruling class. There is a group I ran across online who do have the title of Druid in their lexicon. They limit its use to the doctors and such who are members of their clans.

I would, for myself, be comfortable saying I was following a Druidic path, but I personally would not claim the title of Druid as I am not qualified by any stretch of the imagination.

#8 of 11 Old 09-02-2002, 09:47 PM

Stonehenge did used to be more accessible but they restricted it after an incident with vandilism.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#9 of 11 Old 09-02-2002, 11:02 PM

If you'd like information on two of the more "popular" (not exactly the right word, but as close to what I mean as I can think of right now) Druidic/neo-Druidic orders, here are their websites:

http://www.adf.org/homepage.shtml -- the website for Ar nDraiocht Fein (accent on the A in Ar and the I in nDraiocht. sorry I don't know how to put 'em in)

http://www.druidry.org -- the website for the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids

As a Druid (who has completed 10+ years of training), FWIW, I consider myself a Celtic Reconstructionist rather than a Traditionalist. I am secure enough to acknowledge that much of what I practice is based on speculation; I strive to make my ritual as authentic as possible by studying primary source materials and archaeological findings as much as possible.
#10 of 11 Old 09-03-2002, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

yes, I think your interpretation does make sense to me, thankyou,
The Druid that I know may very well be for real, ,,,or not...he is older (50+)and I believe lives and knows and has trained, He grows all his own stuff, (has wider selection of homegrown herbs then anywhere around and they come from his garden so he says)he
seems knowledgeable in herbal lore and has talked about a colouring book of the path to be published by...LLewlen or someone? Cant think of the correct spelling, anyways, who knows, but I do see your point, its not like baptist to call yourself a Druid, maybe to sayyou are on that path would be like saying you are on the path to become a Dr or priest or something, I stand corrected, thankyou -Ive looked around on those other Druid sites bvefore, they are the ones I am familiar with also -blessed be-mary
#11 of 11 Old 09-03-2002, 12:46 AM

I hope I didn't put you off. Telling tone of voice is difficult on the web.

Another group you may be interested in checking out is Sisterhood of Avalon. ( www.sisterhoodofavalon.org ) They mix the Celtic cultural aspects with modern perspective, but are Goddess focussed rather than mixed polytheistic. (if that makes sense to you, I have trouble sometimes nailing down the right words for this.)

That's where I'm learning from right now as I like the female focus. ADF and the other might be more truly authentic though.

You being in the British Isles have quite an advantage, Glastonbury being almost a daytrip, or am I underestimating the distances?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page