We are the Other People AKA the Pagans - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 07-16-2002, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to share this, I found it a long time agao and just recently got it again. It is a sort of voice or statement for those of us that aren't christian and I think it is beautiful it its way.... It is written by Oberon Zell.

Admin note: I'm so sorry to have to do this but I've had to delete the article out due to copyright violations. If you can obtain written permission to reproduce from the author or copyright holder and place it within your post then you may repost the piece. ~Cynthia
#2 of 24 Old 07-16-2002, 04:54 PM

LOVE IT!!!!!

may I copy and paste ???? Pretty please!!
#3 of 24 Old 07-16-2002, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sure that this has been around so many times that no one minds if it is copied and pasted anywhere! Glad you enjoyed it!
#4 of 24 Old 07-16-2002, 05:05 PM

Thank You!! :-)
#5 of 24 Old 07-16-2002, 05:34 PM

Thank you for posting this- it is so good!
#6 of 24 Old 07-16-2002, 06:11 PM

being of scottish and native american descent, that really struck a chord with me. thanks!

#7 of 24 Old 07-16-2002, 07:39 PM

That was great. Really loved the end!
#8 of 24 Old 07-16-2002, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
THE SERPENT NEVER LIED!
Totally true!

GOd said Adsm and Eve would surely die if the ate of the tree, yet they clearly did not die.

I wonder why God lied?
#9 of 24 Old 07-16-2002, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Someone on another forum ventured the point that God did not lie, merely taht the death of Adam began ont he day he ate fo the fruit. Interesting perspective I suppose. the theory being that each day we, as humans die a little - like I said, interesting, don't knowthat I agree with that but it's a nice thought (the person with taht response is a jehovah's witness and is very much a christian, no I'm not bashing her jsut giveing the background of the respondant).

Blessings!
#10 of 24 Old 07-17-2002, 12:03 PM

I LOVED it!
#11 of 24 Old 07-17-2002, 11:10 PM

I really appreciate this post - thank you so much! It explains so much of my perceptions of religion in this world and why it has not worked for me. Thank goodness I discovered the goddess. May Inanna be smiling on us all...............Kimberly
#12 of 24 Old 07-18-2002, 01:32 AM

Just had to tell you guys my hubby loved it. He even drug out his old hebrew bible and reread the passages in a new light. And compared them with my english version. My hebrew is not nearly as good as his, and he had a grand time sharing the plural Gods spelling for me. I guess I never noticed since I haven't picked it up since I left the faith. He also enjoyed pointing out that it doesn't start with "In the begining" as is so commonly translated but that in the hebrew it says "when Gods began creating" not quite the same thing.

#13 of 24 Old 07-18-2002, 05:08 AM

I am trying to figure out how to display something like this. Type (or write) it out and frame it. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate this. It was wonderful.
#14 of 24 Old 07-18-2002, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arduinna
Just had to tell you guys my hubby loved it. He even drug out his old hebrew bible and reread the passages in a new light. And compared them with my english version. My hebrew is not nearly as good as his, and he had a grand time sharing the plural Gods spelling for me. I guess I never noticed since I haven't picked it up since I left the faith. He also enjoyed pointing out that it doesn't start with "In the begining" as is so commonly translated but that in the hebrew it says "when Gods began creating" not quite the same thing.

FYI-
Elohim means L-rd or lord, it is not plural
http://www.jewsforjudaism.org/j4j-20...ongenesis.html

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#15 of 24 Old 07-18-2002, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Okay - here is what I got out of three different sources...

Elohim (n.) One of the principal names by which God is designated in the Hebrew Scriptures.

elohem´, elo´him, el´ohem) , term used to designate the God of Israel. The use of Elohim in Israel's religious texts is an attempt to treat the particular Hebrew God, Yahweh, in a more general religious context.

Elohim
(Sept., theos; Vulg., Deus).

Elohim is the common name for God. It is a plural form, but "The usage of the language gives no support to the supposition that we have in the plural form Elohim, applied to the God of Israel, the remains of an early polytheism, or at least a combination with the higher spiritual beings" (Kautzsch). Grammarians call it a plural of majesty or rank, or of abstraction, or of magnitude (Gesenius, Grammatik, 27th ed., nn. 124 g, 132 h). The Ethiopic plural amlak has become a proper name of God. Hoffmann has pointed out an analogous plural elim in the Phoenician inscriptions (Ueber einige phon. Inschr., 1889, p. 17 sqq.), and Barton has shown that in the tablets from El-Amarna the plural form ilani replaces the singular more than forty times
#16 of 24 Old 07-18-2002, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BelovedBird

FYI-
Elohim means L-rd or lord, it is not plural
http://www.jewsforjudaism.org/j4j-20...ongenesis.html

Thanks, but I think I will trust my husband.
#17 of 24 Old 07-26-2002, 09:20 PM

This is great!
I just printed out a bunch of copies for some friends of mine. Thanks for sharing!
#18 of 24 Old 08-02-2002, 10:30 AM

And why didn't I read this *before* the JWs appeared at my door yesterday???? : I had to be content flashing my crucifix and my Guadalupe candle (I use the Catholic Cover) as she went on and on about idols ... Next week (ya know she's not gonna give up on saving my soul!) I'll be prepared for her visit, tee hee

I always love it when I tell them my DH is dead, they go on and on about his physical ressurection, then I tell them he is creamated... just one more thing for them to pray about! :LOL

Thanks for the info! I love being enlightened!

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#19 of 24 Old 08-03-2002, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Dunno hahaha but at least you are armed and ready now!
#20 of 24 Old 08-08-2002, 12:02 AM

I haven't taken the time to learn how to post a link, but do check this out--www.aquatabch.org. It is a site for the Aquarian Tabernacle Church (which is Pagan). They publish "anti-tracts" which are just like those little cartoon tracts that you find here and there that are religious in nature. Push the plain "site map" button (the site map button with the labyrinth gives you different info) and scroll way down to the bottom and click on "The Other People". The jist of the anti-tract is some door-knockers come to a Pagan home and the couple who live therein confound them with the story told at the beginning of this thread. It's a HOOT! Highly recommeded.
#21 of 24 Old 08-12-2002, 06:08 AM

Just found this & loved it!

I have to say I very rarely have probs with the door knocking religions. I even used to, at one time, live around the corner from the northern european & american HQ of the 7th day adventist church. They all visited about once. I found the trick was to tell them you practised witchcraft or mention the tarot cards. They used to never come back after that. Being of pagan leanings, I have no desire to proletisise anyone ( I can't spell it for the life of me but basically it means to convert others to your religion ). Altho' a few pagan mammas IRL would be cool
#22 of 24 Old 08-13-2002, 03:13 PM

I just life my shirt up, latch my 2 1/2 year old onto my breast (he's always more than happy to oblige) and then answer the door with my breast bared for all to see. They leave quickly.

-Heather

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#23 of 24 Old 08-14-2002, 11:16 PM

Just thought I'd post a link to this essay, since it had to be removed from the post.

http://www.caw.org/articles/otherpeople.html

I really enjoyed reading this!
#24 of 24 Old 08-15-2002, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't realize that there was a copyright on it since I have seen it more places than I can count! Thanks for posting the link!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page