Question for Mormons - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-16-2002, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know much about the Mormon faith (I'm Jewish myself.) I just found out that my new neighbors are Mormans and I wonder if you guys could fill me in on some of the "rules" real quick.

I'm sure I can look up more info on the religion myself but could you guys help me out with some of the little everyday things so that I don't offend her or make a silly mistake? For example... I know that Mormans don't drink coffee... is that because of the caffeine? Should I make sure not to offer her any drinks with caffeine in them?

Are there other little things like that which seem everyday to me but which are against her faith? She's a very nice person and I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with her.

Thank You very much!

Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-16-2002, 02:27 PM

I had the same worries when I moved next door to a Mormon couple. I learned though, that they were never offended if I did something "wrong". If you were to offer them a caffenated drink, you would probably just receive a polite "no, thanks". I think you will find that even if you do or say something that they do not believe in/agree with, you will not offend them and they will still be friendly neighbors to you. Those neighbors are now (seven years later) our very best friends.
#3 of 5 Old 08-16-2002, 03:12 PM

mmace is right. We realize that we are not the norm, so we are not offended by things that other people just take for granted. We do not drink coffee, black tea, or alcohol, and we do not smoke. If offered, I would simply say "no thank-you", but I would expect you to simply go on doing things the way you usually did. I would not drink coffee, but I wouldn't be offended if you drank it in front of me. When we go to office parties and things like that, dh and I are used to expecting that others will drink.

LDS people usually do not swear or take the Lord's name in vain, so we always appreciate it when others refrain from those things around us.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else right off hand.
#4 of 5 Old 08-16-2002, 03:27 PM

I agree with Laurel. She said as much as I would have said. Good job for trying to meet them where they're at!

Oh, and caffeine isn't the doctrinal reason that we don't drink coffee and tea, but we are counseled to respect our bodies as temples (that house our own spirits) and many people choose to avoid caffeine as an unnecessary body/behaviour altering drug (as opposed to medically necessary medications or remedies). Some people expand that to include caffeinated drinks and chocolate, and others don't. What we're told to exclude doctrinally is coffee, tea, alcoholic drinks, illegal drugs, smoking and any other tobacco use.
#5 of 5 Old 08-17-2002, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your help and insight! I'll follow your suggestion to keep an eye on my language. Luckily that is a bad habit that I started to work on years ago so I don't swear very much anymore.

I pretty much got the feeling that I wouldn't offend her if I make a "faux pas" but since I often have been on the receiving end of religious ignorance or insensitivity... I try very hard to respect other people's beliefs so I won't be insensitive to them. (Not saying I'm always successful - but I try!)

Thanks again!

:-)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page