Proselytizing ... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 62 Old 09-19-2002, 08:31 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jjdoula, if I may ask, what is one supposed to see when another proposes to show the 'Jesus' in them?

B/c if one is supposed to see 'Jesus' in another, could that in fact, be blasphemy?

But more importantly, if one is to see 'Jesus' in someone, will that 'Jesus' exemplify the comprehensive Jesus in the Bible or just parts that the person's personality will allow?

Since we all have our respective 'baggage', if you will, isn't it by definition that the 'Jesus' who 'shines' through us will be filtered, for better or worse, by our individual expressions?

I used to 'witness' at malls, college campuses, sporting events, or even the Friday night shout-out to those entering strip bars (i.e. 'Don't go in there! Jesus loves you!! Jesus hurts when you do that!') as I (with other members of our church) would drive around our city.

I became a self-taught expert in human behavior as it relates to receiving sales calls of this sort. A lone man eating a Cinnabon in the Food Court of a mall? Perfect! A young mother walking with a stroller in the middle of the day, looking tired? Perfect! They were the receptive soils wherein I sprinkled my gospel seeds and then they were the people who comprised my 'prayer list' for their salvation.

I thought I was following Acts 1. I thought I was shining Jesus upon the world who knew not of his salvation and alleged great love for people.

Of course, now I am completely regretful of my arrogance and presumptive actions. I feel positive I sowed some rotten crops during my proselytizing decade. My humble hope is that those I 'witnessed' to wrote me off at a nutcase (which I was).

Thankfully, I don't see many groups of Christians witnessing out in public places like I used to. And the ones who come to our house are few and far between which is a wonderful relief.
#62 of 62 Old 09-20-2002, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was raised minimally observant Jewish, married the son of a Lutheran Minister, and have attended church.

I need to add that as a child I felt a strong affinity for Christ, not in the church's way, but something I felt deeply, without prompting. I felt a presence (this is my second post on presences tonight...), and that it was Christ seemed to fit. Dh and I were married at a very liberal church, and I was baptized. Many would probably not like the story of my baptism because it was very much my own interpretation of what baptism was that it was for me, if I'm making sense.

The point is that I came to the church as an observer more than a participant, and while I thought I would move toward more participant status, I never really moved out of the observer role. One aspect that has made me uncomfortable is the prostyletizing. I guess because it isn't something you're exposed to in Judiasm.

Dh, who has attended synagogue with me, is of the view that in Judiasm, the emphasis seems to be on educating the ones who are there rather than getting more people. In the church, the emphasis is more on getting more people.

I did not know that a potential convert is turned down 3 times. Dh asked the rabbi about it and the rabbi said he would not consider it. I guess Dh isn't off the hook yet. It's a funny variation on Dh's background, which is Scandanavian, in which you don't believe the person doesn't want seconds or dessert until they turn you down 3 times.

On the other hand, our minister was really eager to baptize me (as some, who might think I was unfit in perspective, might agree), and Dh says this is a sign that the church is eager to get anyone they can. Please don't flame his vicarious presence here! He has strong and colorful opinions, having grown up under the pressure of being the "preacher's kid."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page