I've been outed~they know I'm a Pagan~HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2002, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've stuck my foot in my mouth and hopped around on a hornet's nest!!
I live in a VERY conservative, VERY Evangelical Christian area. Even more concentrated in the homeschooling community around here. Even the groups considered *inclusive* are very Christian-centric, all are welcome, but 'other' beliefs are not considered, included nor tolerated.
A pagan mama wrote to our little group asking about the local meaning of "inclusion" and I took the opportunity to finally be honest about who I am and offer her some support (and to encourage her to move here ~ I'm tired of feeling alone!). The Jesus Freaks are in an uproar, to say the least. If it were 200 years ago, I would sincerely be afraid for my life! Instead, I'm gonna suffer the label of "freak" which I don't mind, I've just never been *this kind* of freak before.
As a newbie, fledgling wicca with Pagan beliefs, how do I do this??? I'm taking all of the attacks very personally ~ I want to move away or crawl under a rock and hide til all this is over ... I know I've been called to live here, I feel compelled to be honest about what I believe ... This is my first admission to anyone other than fellow Pagans. I don't want it to be my last, but golly this is painful! Have you *outed* yourself? How did you recover?? What do you say to these so-called Christians? Do you socialize but keep your faith secret?
I am so thankful to have MDC to come to when all else is crazy...

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2002, 12:18 AM

funny, we are riding that fence

Is there a Unitarian Universalist church around you could attend? They are very supportive of all faiths even if that specific congregation has Christian leanings, ours does, but there's no dogma, so it's OK!

Chin up. You are a strong woman who perseveres. I am sending you even more good vibes than I did at the Group Manifesting Party!!! I'll light a candle at my alter for you and your family!
Old 08-22-2002, 12:45 AM

I just wanted to apologize for my religion . . .I'm a Christian but the thought would never cross my mind to harass, attack, badger or otherwise make unhappy someone that doesn't share my beliefs. Esp. if we had something in common like hs. . .maybe you should gently remind them that Jesus spent more time with the "corrupt" than in church. I'm really sorry, ,and it makes me (and God, IMO) sad to hear of Christians being ugly toward other people. We're not all like that, promise!
I'll be thinking about you and praying for you (if you don't mind!)
Nern
Old 08-22-2002, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

sunmountain ~ I just called the UU church They're having a "Potluck Sunday" this weekend, and the kids will be working on a unit called "Who is God" thru the month of September! The woman on the phone musta said "You're gonna fit right in around here" about 20 times!! Exactly what I needed to hear after a morning of ugliness!
As I'm discussing the services, etc, I ask if there are any homeschoolers in the group... No, she says, but I did just get an e-mail from a homeschooling family considering a move here... ~It's the same woman who opened the fateful discussion on the Homeschooling board!!!! What are the odds? She e-mailed me this morning and teased about what kind of storm I had brewing in my cauldron...Her move here may just be part of this fateful plan :LOL

Hi nernie! Thanks for apologizing on behalf of others who use your title inappropriately (Christian, that is). I have been a part of this online group for over 6 months and have said *nothing* about blessings, prayer requests, even prostelyizing ... I really don't mind, I have no intention of begrudging someone thier beliefs In fact, when DH was ill, so many people were praying for our family I joked, "well, whoever is in God's favor today, someone there is saying our names" Thanks for your prayers, don't forget to include the others in your prayers too, I am lucky to have a place to get rid of this negativity, they may not (P.S. Glad to still see ya around here )

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
Old 08-22-2002, 01:15 AM

I swear you have better kharma than Ghandi
Old 08-22-2002, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

I think Mitch has chosen to be "Social Director" on the other side and is living vicariously thru me instead of coming back himself!

Old 08-22-2002, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Honey-

We have always known you were a freak. We love you anyway . You're my little freak and don't you ever forget it.

Love,
Sandra, Chad, Madeline and Lilyka

PS. This is why I don't do things with specifically Christain homeschooling groups. I'm an ever-lovin' Jesus freak and I am scared of those people.

PSS I have some fabulous pictures of Hannah from ballet. oK one really, really cute one and a pile of OK ones. PM me your address and I will send them to you. hey then you'll have my address and can send me my SLING! (I will even send you a great big envelope and address lable to ship it in). What a plan

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 08-22-2002, 10:45 PM

I am glad you are finding a spiritual home. I have had my share of christian ostracizm (which I cannot spell at the moment) and I am christian and it is not fun and very painful.

Maybe you could set up an open religion homeschooling group...it really sucks they are treating you like that but some denominations are assholes.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 08-22-2002, 11:41 PM

try not to take what they say personally. keep in mind that they are not really reacting to you, they are reacting to their own issues/fears/insecurities. it could be that part of why you are there is to help those around you evolve their consciousness, just by your being there.

be who you are and be an example. let them know that you accept them as they are and where they are, and you respect them and their belief systems. you are not prosthelitizing or trying to convert anyone, just as you do not want to be converted.

remeber that what you put forth...
Old 08-22-2002, 11:50 PM

Diane, you're AWSOME! I'm glad you were honest. I know I've mentioned my parenting beleifs in a group of mainstreamers and felt the same way.

I was born and raised Roman Catholic and have been swaying more and more toward Pagan beleifs. The onlyh hold back is that I don't have time to pursue it all!

As you can guess, my in-laws are outraged and choose to ignore it. Be strong and proud of who you are. I think your an amazing woman!
Old 08-23-2002, 12:10 AM

I want alainameow to live next door to me!
Old 08-23-2002, 06:23 PM

i am not that far...nyc.
peace out
Old 08-24-2002, 11:16 AM

I am definitely in the broom closet at work.. though i do wear a pentagram and so i guess people could figure it out if they thought about it.

I am out among my family and friends.. but then most of my friends are Pagan anyway.. family is cool with it, mostly. Mom says she knew i was a little witch when i was a girl.

I am sorry you had to go through difficulties.. but it does seem like those difficulties are leading you to community and a friendship.. so i am happy for you for that.

My husband and i are just starting to reach out to the Pagan community here and considering the UU Church.. I really want Caleb to have other Pagan kids to celebrate holidays with.
Old 08-24-2002, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by lilyka
[B]You're my little freak and don't you ever forget it.
I'm an ever-lovin' Jesus freak and I am scared of those people.
See, I've been sooooo spoiled! I expect all the *other* Jesus freaks to treat me with the same level of amused disbelief that you guys do!!! I just don't know what to do with this ajesus attitude (as in completely without Jesus in their thoughts). Again, I remember if we are all made in the Creator's Image, there must be something redeeming in all of them... If I can bring them one step closer to the Christianity that Sandra and her family not only represent but *live*, it's a job well done for me. Thanks for pointing out a worthwhile calling here

Old 08-24-2002, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Mom
Roman Catholic ... been swaying more and more toward Pagan beleifs.
What today's Catholics don't want you to know is that what you're practicing is a Christianized version of Paganism :LOL I've got my standard examples, Christmas moved to hide Solistace and Resurrection Sunday called Easter after a Pagan Goddess of the Spring... I've just discovered the Goddess Freya, her holy day is *surprise!* Fridays, and on her sacred day, her followers ate *surprise!* fish, her sacred animal
Oh the walls are crumbling, all the secrets are coming out! I am taking some kind of giddy pleasure in uncovering them... :LOL

Old 08-25-2002, 01:05 AM

ooo, it feels so good to be right

We forgot to drop the bomb today about the fact that we won't be celebrating Christmas this year. We're planning a Solstice celebration. But we will do it soon...can't WAIT to see their faces...
Old 08-26-2002, 02:28 PM
Banned

Hi there.

I'm a Christian but am labeled (well, correctly I guess) a little new agey and earthey.

I'm ashamed for what you've endured it isn't right. In fact if you live in the southeast PA area give me a private message so we could hang out together or something

Anyway, I know what it's like to be ostracised by Christians. I was kicked out of my church to pave the way for the Ezzos to infiltrate that church (yukyukyuk )

Hope you're feeling better now go, woman, howl at the moon and ride your broom!!!

Debra Baker
Old 09-01-2002, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We've had a bit of a taste of that too.

Not moms pulling their child away from ours, but a friend of 14 years deciding she can't be friends with someone of such different beliefs(I didn't realize I was hiding so well, I was generally just myself: ), and fundie neighbors who didn't control a bully child who was harming our son. That wasn't directly a religious issue though, other then they wouldn't hear anything that would burst their bubble.

Other neighbors around here are just never around and/or make no effort to return visits.

What little I know of the local homeschool community tells me it is very Christian oriented. Just as well I don't have the temperment for homeschooling and that DS does well with the outside contact. We'd be Completely isolated if we tried to homeschool.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 09-02-2002, 02:09 PM

my older daughter, now 14, was in a conversation a couple of years ago (during an art class) about people's belief systems and adam and eve. two of the girls were fundamentalists and they tried several times in the course of the conversation to put my daughter down and intimidate her because of her belief system. in the end my daughter let it go telling them that they could be who they wanted, but she was sticking to who she was.

for the long term (although she never confronted them about it) she had a very difficult time understanding how people could have such a strong belief in system in something that she felt there was so much contrary scientific information on i.e. adam and eve v. theory of evolution and those sort of ideas.

what she did understand was that each of us believe in what we need to believe and that those beliefs are what is part of our own individual experience of being in this incarnation.

however, while one of the girls accepted my daughter as she was, the other spent three years of middle school tellign my daughter (each time she had the chance to), that her soul belonged to the devil and when she died she was going to go to hell.

my daughters response to this was "i find that hard to believe since there is no such thing as the devil or hell, those things are not part of my belief system and i would have to believe in them to to end up there."

this is the same daughter who woke up a few minutes ago to tell me, "if you nose runs and your feet smell...then you are built upside down!" -- it cracked me up, so i had to share that.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:40 PM

Your daughter's got some head on her shoulders!

Back when he used to play with the youngest boy of the family up the street DS and he had a conversation to the effect that it didn't matter who you prayed to: Mother Nature or Jesus. That was when they were 6 and 4 respectively. Too bad that attitude of acceptance didn't last.

Old 09-02-2002, 10:54 PM

It is very sad that that is the exact reason many people pull away from Christianity to begin with.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 09-03-2002, 02:52 PM

i did a lot of research into different religions over the years.. Especially in high school and shortly there after... My mother is a holy roller and she almost had a coronary when she found out i was going to a catholic church youth group and services... SHe talked to our pastor about me and her told her to leave me alone.... (so there mom!!!_)

And as for as the catholic church and pagan beliefs go they did take a lot from the pagan beliefs in areas so the pagans would be "easier" to convert... The virgin mary was likened to mother earth and the devi lwas likened to the father ... OH damn i can't remember what it was called in the book i read, but he was a horned figuire with goat legs, and not neccesarily bad, just he was in charge of harvest stuff... (if i remember correctly... don't bash me on the head if i'm wrong, jut correct it please!!! )

The catholic religion is the oldest christion religion there is. It is patterned after a lot of older religions so all of it't members of the time would feel more comfortable... It has some jewish ideas, some pagan ideas, and some truely christian ideas in it... And since just about every single christian religion has sprung from the catholic church they pretty much are all the same...

(needless to say when it old my mom this she hit the roof!!!)

I don't think that it matters who you pray to because just about every dang religion in the world has the same precepts at it's core..

So i label myself a christian... not any particular faith, i go to which ever church suits my purpose and i feel comfortable in...

I think it is soo unfortunate that some people can't look past their programming to the heart of their own religion and their own hearts.....

Sorry i seem to have go on and on...

I guess my point was for Hahamommy, that you shouldn't worry about ignorant people who are only concerned that they must be absolutely right in their beliefs... It only means they aren't really that sure of them.

Best of HEalth and Warm Squishy feelings!!!!

Dyan

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:04 PM

Pynki, I believe the mythical character you are thinking of was Pan. (Thank yous to Tom Robbins )
Old 09-20-2002, 08:15 PM

hey- there are pagan homeschoolers out there! I have just discovered that my spirituality leans toward pagan. I don't know what that means!

I just enjoy learning about all religioins, but specifically buddhist, taoist, etc!

When I move to the big city, I will try to find a UU church. I am a heathen now

SunMountain- I like how you're from EERIE, PA!!!!!
Old 09-21-2002, 02:48 AM

yeah, I changed the spelling after another member and I talked about the movie "Saturday The Fourteenth" which took place in Eerie.

And the UUs ROCK! We'll be going back to ours soon...
Old 09-21-2002, 02:11 PM

Could be the Greek Pan, could be the Celtic/Northern European Cernunnos. Could be both!

User Tag List