Muslim Mamas Weekly Thread Nov. 15th--Nov. 21st. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2004, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Assalamu Alaikum Muslim Moms:

OK... I don't know if I'm supposed to keep giving topics or not. If that helps, here it goes. If you want to talk about anything else.. feel free.

As I notice that a lot of Muslims Moms here on the boards are reverts, I'll ask the following:

1)What English-interpretation (a.k.a. translation, although one can't really translate the Qur'an) of the Qur'an do you like best?? Are there any that you'd like to warn your Sisters against?

2)If you're trying to learn Arabic (or have already), what resources helped you??

3)Name one (or more) books other than the Qur'an that help your faith.

Peace,
Karla

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 01:02 AM

Salam Alaikum sis.
Right now, the translation I'm reading is by Yusef Ali. I also have a translation by ProgressiveMuslims.org. Although I haven't read that one yet, because my back just kills me if I sit at the computer too long. I'd rather have it in book format, which is available online, but I don't have the funds for that now. INshallah I will in the future. It's called "The Message".
Trying to learn arabic is soo hard for me. It would be much easier for me to learn arabic in school. My fiance speaks arabic, so I know how to speak it a little bit, but its still difficult for me. Inshallah, I will learn soon.
Don't really have any books that I'm reading at the moment. But, there is a website that has helped me in finding the path that I feel is right. free-minds.org. Progressive Islam if you will. I feel really at home there. Anyways, hope everyone had a good ramadhan. Inshallah, everyone is in good health. Take care.
Maasalaam.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Wa'alaikum Assalam:

I have Yusuf Ali's translation, but I don't tend to read it anymore. There are three translations that I like better and read more often:

1)Muhammad Asad's "The Message of the Qur'an"
2) Allamah Nooruddin's "The Holy Qur'an"
3) Need to find it... it's green and white

I'm trying to learn Arabic, and it's a work in process. For learning the letters and how to read words (such as in the Qur'an) I found Arabic Playhouse (CD for kids) to be the most helpful.

As for other books, two books I often return to are:
"Irshad: Wisdom of a Sufi Master" by Sheikh Muzaffer Ozak Al-Jerrahi
and
"The Name and the Named" by Shaykh Tosun Bayrak al-Jerrahi al-Halveti (a book on the 99 Names of Allah)

I definitely have progressive leanings. I really enjoyed Farid Esack's books as well as those by Omid Safi and Khaled Abou El Fadl.

Peace,
Karla............................

Old 11-18-2004, 01:02 AM

salaam

I am currently finishing "Islam in Focus" by Hammudah Abd al Ati. I do like it very much as it gives alot of the basics in very understandable terms. I am looking forward to reading more so am jotting down your suggestions.

Not to hijack the topic but, if anyone does not mind, could you please share with me how you explain hijab to strangers, friends and family? I want to have very clear and articulate words ready as I think that there is a perception by non-muslims that muslim women are somehow "forced" to do this. We all know this is not the case. I just need to put the words together so I am ready. Thank you for your help, if you don't mind. We are all at different places in our journey and may Allah reward you all for helping someone along. I will try to check in often to keep the discussion rolling. However, as we all are, I am busy with kids so if I do not reply or participate in the discussion, do not confuse this with disinterest (just preoccupied with baby and big-girl ).

Salaam

jen

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
Old 11-18-2004, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Wa'alaikum Assalam Jen:

I first wore hijab one day in October after Sept. 11th. It was a "Scarves for Solidarity" day where women all over the country (Muslim and Non-Muslim) wore hijab to show their solidarity with the Muslim Americans who were being harrassed so much. (Usually it was women who wore hijab who were harassed.) I got lots of questions at work, but basically said it had to do with "scarves for solidarity." In the end, I ended up wall-papering my door with various articles on hijab, Islam, etc... so people would stop asking! LOL

I next wore hijab Labor Day weekend the following year when I went to an ISNA Convention. It was in DC, and I felt it was a good place to try out wearing hijab full-time. When I came back from the conference, I just decided to wear it full-time. And yes, I received lots of questions...

For some people, I just said, "I decided to come out of the Muslim closet." A lot of times I would give a long answer saying, "When I first became a Muslim, I was adamant that I would never ever wear hijab. I told God that if He wanted me to wear hijab, he'd have to change my mind. And he did."
I think it was easier for me in a way because I wasn't married at the time, and didn't come from a Muslim family... so people knew I was wearing it by choice. Now that I am married, I think people assume my husband makes me wear it.

I can tell you that in many ways wearing hijab makes me a better person. Why? Because it is a visual reminder to both me and others that I am a Muslim. So, I can't cut somebody off in traffic, because they'll think that all Muslims do that. I can't swear back at somebody on the street, because they'll think all Muslim women are like that, etc. It helps keep me in check.

You'll also get questions about why are you wearing it when so many women do not. That's a tough one... usually I say that some people don't believe that it is required; for others, they worry about their job; some do have bad memories of being forced to wear it, so they do not. The reasons are varied. But most scholars agree that it is required for women over puberty, and that's why I'm wearing it.

I found that by asking people for help, it was the easiest way to get them on board. I had a close circle of friends at work who supported me in my decision... and also ended up defending me to others when they said bad things about my hijab.

Here are some good articles which may help:
http://www.jannah.org/sisters/hijabyes.html

http://www.jannah.org/sisters/hijabthink.html

Good luck Sister,
Karla

Old 11-18-2004, 09:10 PM

Salaam Alaikum

Can't really help you with that, since I don't wear hijab. I follow Al Quran only and don't rely on hadith, so I don't wear it.
Are there any other muslimahs here that don't wear hijab?
Old 11-19-2004, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sure there are Mazzystar. Don't worry about not being welcome because you don't wear hijab. I was a Muslim for over 10 years before I started wearing it.

Forgot to add that I also use humor, whenever possible... so the answer to why I wear hijab may be... "Well, my hair is so amazingly beautiful, that even one glance at it would make you forever fall in love with me. I didn't want to have to put you through that."... or... "I was having too many bad hair days, so this was easier." Stuff like that.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:16 PM

Forgot to add that I also use humor, whenever possible... so the answer to why I wear hijab may be... "Well, my hair is so amazingly beautiful, that even one glance at it would make you forever fall in love with me. I didn't want to have to put you through that."... or... "I was having too many bad hair days, so this was easier." Stuff like that.[/QUOTE]

LMBO thats a good one!!!

Thanks umsami. My dh's friends wives are all very welcoming as well. They are all from Iraq and come from traditional families, but they are all so very nice! My dh doesn't mind either.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

In my experience, most women are very welcoming to sisters who both wear and don't wear hijab. Men seem to have more issues with it, IMHO. Women tend to be more welcoming because they know what it's like to either wear or not wear it... and be judged on that fact alone.

It's a personal pet peeve of mine that hijab is somehow become a 6th pillar of faith for women in Islam. People make assumptions that I am a "good" Muslim because I wear hijab, and a sister who may pray more regularly than me, do more charity, and be closer to Allah(swt) who doesn't wear hijab is somehow viewed as a "bad" Muslim. That's wrong. Only Allah(swt) knows who is or isn't a good Muslim... and I know that there are hadith (even though you're Qur'an only) that talk about people who are publicly "good" Muslims, but do it all for show so to speak... so Allah(swt) does not admit them into heaven.

One of my favorite things that happened wearing hijab is that a young kid came up to me in the grocery store and asked me if I was a Nun. LOL I said, "No... but I do like the way they dress." Come to think of it, I did always love the Audrey Hepburn flick "The Nun's Story" and those Bing Crosby as Priest movies... hmmm.... it's all beginning to make sense.

Old 11-19-2004, 06:11 PM

Salaam Alaikum sis. Yes, the women I know have never even asked me about it. And their husbands, my hubbies friends, haven't said anything either. My dh doesn't care either way, whenever I ask him about it, he says, "islam is freedom" lol. He's so cute. Our circle of friends are very moderate, and I have yet to come across any muslims that have looked "down" on me for not wearing it.
To me, a good muslim is not defined by hijab. Its defined by what kind of a person you are, your actions. I see alot of "hijabi's" wearing tight pants and doing all kind of "bad" things. Then there are us "non hijabi's" that try to do whats right.
Only Allah can judge, and I pray that Allah will grant me patience, knowledge, and guidance.
Look foward to more of your posts sis, inshallah.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzystar
Salaam Alaikum

Can't really help you with that, since I don't wear hijab. I follow Al Quran only and don't rely on hadith, so I don't wear it.
Are there any other muslimahs here that don't wear hijab?
asalaam alaykum, this is not from hadith, here is the verse from the Quran...I am not judging just sharing what i know, for Allah would question me for this had i not..Allah is the only judge so this is not why i am sending this. Allahu alim...
Surah Al-Nur (the Light) (24:31) in the Quran states: "They (the believing women) should draw their head coverings over their bosoms...". . Surah Al-Ahzab (33:59) states: "O Prophet [PBUH] Tell thy wives and daughters and the believing women that they should put on their outer garments; that is most convenient in order that THEY MAY BE RECOGNIZED (as Muslims) and not be molested."
masalaama
um_hanna

one love

Old 11-19-2004, 10:29 PM

Salaam Alaikum. Yes, that verse is what most muslims quote when pertaining to hijab. I'd like to give you a link to part of an article, that should give you an inkling of what I believe. The article is too long to paste here.
http://www.free-minds.org/women/scarf.htm
Old 11-20-2004, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzystar
Salaam Alaikum. Yes, that verse is what most muslims quote when pertaining to hijab. I'd like to give you a link to part of an article, that should give you an inkling of what I believe. The article is too long to paste here.
http://www.free-minds.org/women/scarf.htm
walaykum asalaam...im sorry but i dont agree with what i read, but may Allah keep us on the right path and protect us from the hell fire. sister, know that not everything we read is truth, Allahu alim. no one can keep us from the hell fire but us, and on the day of judgement when we are asked about are sins we will stand alone naked in humility in front of Allah swt, that is progressive enough for me. I guess this is why our ummah is in the state that it is in,
in love and peace
masalama
um_hanna

one love

Old 11-20-2004, 12:47 AM

I agree that not everything you read is true, thats why Allah tells us "You shall not except any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them." (Quran 17:36) Is all the information in that article verifiable? Just look to the Quran. The information in that article is in fact verified by the Quran. So if the information is verified by the Quran how can you not agree with it?
Old 11-23-2004, 01:02 PM

Its not verified by the Qoran... The first half, they spend propagating their case against Hadeeth, second part, wich is really about hijab or not, is not very verified. They are using the same verses as we do to defend our niqaab, but yet, they err. Big time. Because by "Drawing the [khimars] over the [jujubinha] i see it as do many scholars, with that we must cover our face too.

But Allah is the allmighty, and the one with the final answer. I think the Quran is clear enough when it comes to this, but...

Mother of three little muslims!
Old 11-23-2004, 02:29 PM

I am a Muslim who chooses not to cover. I chose to cover for more than a year and a half...I worked hard on it. I am very aware of the benefits and I wholly support my sisters who do. While I am supportive and convinced of the benefits I am not convinced, for many, many reasons of the obligation. I will defend a sister's right to wear it anywhere, as we should defend our sisters' rights not to.

I love the Muhammad Asad translation, but I don't have the $60. I have a Y. Ali translation at home. Two, actually.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

ljooj... Assalamu Alaikum

I didn't have $60 either for the Asad version, but with some searching, I found a nice $20 or so one at www.halalco.com Nice quality, paperback. Halalco is a good website for Muslim books, IMHO. I've always had great customer service from them... and they have some of the lowest prices.

I've covered for a little over two years now.... and for various reasons, I'm contemplating not covering. If I make that decision, it will definitely end my marriage.... but my marriage has been difficult, and right now I associate covering with it.

Happy Thanksgiving to those in the States

Peace,
Karla

Old 11-23-2004, 03:40 PM

I understand, sister.

It's supposed to symbolize one kind of submission but perhaps you see another kind in it...

Oh. I wanted also to add that I found the Peace Corps helpful in learning Arabic. :LOL Umm...and egyptian movies with subtitles. Is that weird?
Old 11-23-2004, 04:00 PM

As salaam alaykum,

I try to stay away from these types of discussions and I will only be online until Friday, so unfortunately I will only be here to converse on this issue until then, but there was a lot of erroneous information in that article that I feel should be addressed.

It would behoove all of us, especially those who chose not to follow ulema and who reject the traditions of the prophet (saawaws), to learn Arabic. No matter how you choose to determine the rules you live by, the fact is that the qur'an was revealed in Arabic and a translation or someone else's interpretation of a translation will never do you justice. Also, if we don't research the original language used then we are prone to fall victim to irrational, or just plain fallacious assertions supposedly based on qur'an and hadith. This is true both of those who follow traditional scholars and interpretations of Islam as well as those who follow newer scholars and interpretations. In the end no scholar will stand before Allah (swt) on our behalf, if we are going to act especially in ways that contradict over a thousand years of tradition, then we need to have solid justification, not for debates, but for Allah (swt). Ultimately Allah (swt) is our only aim and it is Allah we serve "iyaaka na'abudu wa iyaaka nasta'in"

The word hijab is a colloquialism. It has nothing to do with the order to cover in the qur'an. It's just a word and not even a universal one. In the khaleeji states (gulf countries) women usually wear a shayla to cover their heads, in Lebanon it's called an 'ishar amongst Americans its often referred to simply as a scarf. The qur'an does not use the word shayla or hijab or 'ishar or scarf, but that does not mean that women don't have to cover their heads.

Let me put for this analogy to try to make myself more clear. Let's say that a law has been written that whenever there is a red sign with the word CEASE written in white letters, people must cease driving look around make sure that no other cars are coming and then continue on their way. The thing is, no one says cease anymore, they say stop. Nowhere on the lawbooks does it say that people must stop, it says they must cease so now people are refusing to cease driving at the CEASE signs because the law does not say to stop, it says cease.

Khimar does mean headcover and it has always been associated with the head. The problem with rejecting hadith is that you reject important means of contextualizing the revelation and cut yourself off from being able to understand more completely what the qur'an is saying. If nothing else, the hadith are important historical evidences that can better explain why certain verses were revealed and what they meant. This article conveniently rejects the verses of qur'an that order us to obey the messenger, how are we to do that when we reject his traditions? Isn't that disobeying the qur'an?

...Anyway the khimar. Khimar comes from the root word kha mim ra (arabic words come from three letter root words) which means to conceal or hide or interestingly enough to intoxicate and also to rise or leaven. The Arabic word for yeast also comes from this kha mim ra root. Now if we are to take this qur'an only approach, avoiding historical documents (hadith) then we could also say that khimar is to pull their intoxicants over their pockets (juyoob also means pockets, it is also known as the "seat" of the heart, it is my understanding that the juyoob is called such as the chest is the "pocket" for the heart all of this context stuff is very important) or in the interpretation of one man "put thier grapes in their purses".

So not only has khimar historically been associated with covering, but it has always been associated with things that cover the head, things that are elevated. Yeast is something that rises, as the head is above all else. Intoxicants do not just cover, they fog/cover the mind. This is why they are haraam. All of that is pretty much speculation though, the fact is that women at the time of the prophet women used khimar to cover their head/hair and there is much historical evidence of that. Khimar, as a mode of female dress, was a headcovering. It was khimar for women and amaama (turban) for men.

The verse doesn't end their though, it goes into explicit detail about female modesty. It says do not display your ornaments (zina) except to......... Those who don't cover the head, do you wear necklaces, bracelets and earrings or make up in the presence of people other than those listed in the verse? Those are all zina or ornaments. Just as a side note, the findings of Khalid Abu El Fadl contradict the argument put forth in this article that striking the feet was about showing the body. Women used to wear anklets and they would strike thier feet and jingle them to draw attention to their availability. This command is specifically given to women, nowhere is it listed for men. There are clear differences between male and female dress in the qur'an and they go beyond covering the chest.

The argument in the article says that "God does not run out of words, God could have used head or hair etc." If the only concern was that women should cover their breasts (and I am still unconvinced that Arab women went around topless) then why did Allah (swt) command them specifically to use their khimar to cover their juyoob? Could Hu not have said "cover your bosoms?" To say that their is no significance at all to Allah (swt) using the word khimar (a headcovering) is ignoring an essential aspect of the book. Unlike the word jilbab (used in another verse about female covering) we know almost exactly what a khimar is/was.

Also, the argument that the qur'ans commands on modesty are to be contextualized according to where a woman is leaves her to the tyranny of cultural practice. This means that a woman would be obligated to cover her face in Saudi Arabia, even if it is a significant hardship for her. What if cultural modesty dictates that a woman observe complete purdah? Certainly neither the qur'an nor the sunnah advocate that as even the prophet's wives interacted with the men and women around them.

There is more, but I want to end there because I don't really have time to go further. I'd also like to note that this article is just far more extreme than most traditional Muslims who believe that hijab is wajib. NO Muslim will say that a woman who does not wear hijab is committing shirk (the worst possible sin) yet this article claims, "Those who are wearing it because they think God ordered it are committing Idol-worship, as God did not order it, the scholars did. These women have found for themselves another god than the One who revealed the Quran." That is unfounded and deeply insulting. Actually its a sin, they are accusing hijab wearing muslimat of being mushrikeen.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:07 PM

More on covering....

You know, it is a sad reality of the way that hijab has been fetishized and politisized that so many believing women are now taking it off or thinking of taking it off. This is why Allah (swt) speaks so firmly against oppression in the qur'an. Hijab has been used by Muslims and non Muslims alike, the battles against Islam, against colonialism, against exploitation, against cultural imperialism etc. each side has staked its claims on hijab and the battles are being fought on our heads.

For those sisters who are in doubt, research until you are sure and if you understand this to be an obligation, then its part of the jihad an nafs to resist other people defining you. The hijab and all of your acts of worship are between you and Allah. I totally understand being sick of all that goes with hijab. I love hijab and InshaAllah I will never remove it because it is an obligation between my Lord and I, but I swear that lately I've started wearing a different style (more like what a Jewish woman might wear only I wear a neck cover to ensure that I am still following Islamic rules) just because Im tired of carrying this weight. I have never suffered discrimination because if hijab, but I do get tired of all the stares and the assumtions. I get sick of the Muslim men and the so-called feminists who think that my body is all about their issues and that they have a right to determine how I dress based on their political struggles. Those struggles are mine TOO and how I fight them is MINE, not theirs.

I was just telling my husband the other night, that for a lot of us, wearing hijab is like having a group of people watch your every move every time you go to make salat and then having them publically debate it. So please don't think that what I write is coming from a holier-than-thou perspective, I sooooo understand this issue. Allah Kareem. Allah Kareem.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:25 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I respect everyones opinions. I have much respect for my sisters who wear hijab, but I don't believe that its obligatory. I truly believe there are more important issues than covering my hair. Like, raising my children up right, being a good wife, good person, helping people whenever possible, worshipping god, obeying god, praising god. Only god can judge. I pray that god increases my knowlegde!

Sorry umsami for hijacking your thread. Hope everyone is well, and happy turkey day! Well, in a few days anyway.

Fish, I understand your conviction. But, we will just have to agree to disagree. Allah is the best judge.

Umsami, whats your next muslimah mommie thread topic?
Old 11-23-2004, 05:24 PM

You know, it just kind of makes me laugh--not to offend or insult or degrade anyone's comments or opinions, etc.--but this is how just about any conversation about just about any subject regarding Islam or among Muslims, men AND women, ends up. For some reason, both Muslims and non-Muslims have decided that the covering of the head defines the faith. And it defines the quality of a believing woman.

If we put so much energy into increasing justice and goodness, imagine what we might accomplish! Insha-Allah.

Hey--I was doing dhikr by myself last night and I think I had kind of a mystical experience. Anyone got any of those to share?
Old 11-23-2004, 05:26 PM

You want to post an argument that calls women who wear hijab mushrikeen and then you expect no one to say anything about it? How would you like it if I posted an argument stating that anyone who doesn't wear hijab isn't Muslim and then quickly changed the subject or tried to insult you?

I didn't say a woman's faith was defined by hijab. Sheesh, where was that? Quite the opposite, I pointed out the problem with this attitude on both sides. Whatever, I should have stayed out of the conversation. Apparently "dissenting" voices aren't welcome. Don't worry, you won't be hearing mine again.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:54 PM

I want to thank all of you for your responses regarding hijab. I am sorry to see that it may have gotten a bit personal for some or you. This is obviously a very emotional issue and one that is new to me as many of you may remember. I regret that this happened as a result of a topic that I requested be discussed and hope that all of you intelligent women will stay with us and feel free to express your feelings and beliefs without being judged. It is not your place to judge anyone, only Allah does this. Fish, please stay and know that your information was not only welcomed but helped at least one muslima come to terms with her own decision.

I did revert this weekend by declaring "ashehadu ana la illaha illa Allah. ashehadu ana Mohammedan rasul Allah." I am sooo happy and free now. In sha Allah I will have a long life to learn and serve Allah

jen

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
Old 11-23-2004, 08:37 PM

Umsami, gigis mom, please accept my apologies, for hijacking the thread, and for posting an article that caused *ruckus*. Had I known it would have caused such, I wouldn't have posted it. Sorry.

Jooj, I agree with you sister, there are more pressing issues than that of hijab. What is dhikr by the way?

Fish, jooj did not post that article, I did. I never said I agreed with that certain part of the article, if you have qualms take it up with the writer. My point is I dont think hijab is obligatory. I don't have any problem with dissenting voices .

GIGI, sorry!! It's not really that personal of an issue to me, I'm just sorry it got out of hand. Congratulations on taking the shahada sister. And may Allah guide all of us, and increase our knowledge. Take care, and look foward to hearing from you all again, inshallah.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:46 PM

mazzystar you have a PM

ETA: I know that 1jooj did not post the article, the first part of my response was for you and the second for her. My apologies, I should have made that clear.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:56 PM

Gosh, my apologies as well, Fish--the part where I said I meant not to offend or degrade was totally sincere. And my comments were more in agreement with what you said than disagreement. I just wanted to add my emphasis, more as an aside than anything else, that almost any discussion eventually leads to scarves. Sorry if I sounded like I was trying to argue. 'Cause I wasn't. And I wouldn't.

Peace and blessings, Sisters!
Old 11-23-2004, 10:58 PM

Also, Fish, you seem to have a comfortable grasp on Arabic. Do you have suggestions for those of us looking to improve our Quranic Arabic and reading skills?
Old 11-24-2004, 12:18 AM

Thank you all. My apologies for the misunderstanding 1jooj, guess I need to do a better job of giving my sister 70 excuses.

Argh, finding good do-it-yourself Arabic books without dropping a bundle is ...hard. I currently have about 5 different Arabic text books each with strengths and weaknesses and tons of Islamic "Arabic for beginners" books. To be honest, if you are serious and can afford it, either take some classes (a junior college would be cheaper than a university) or hire a tutor. Often masjid classes--in my experience-- aren't consistent. You may get a really good class for beginners and then have nothing else after, or the students stop showing up and the class ends prematurely.

...My Arabic is not very good and I've been studying it (off and on) for many, many years. My problem that, except for the very beginning when I was learning to read qur'an, I have basically had to teach myself with the help of some well-educated native speakers. The beginners book I like best (because I think it does a better job with explaning pronunciation) is A New Arabic Grammar Of The Written Language by J.A. Haywood and H.M. Nahmad, Harvard University Press.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:21 AM

Also, you asked about spiritual experiences. I am dedicating some time to in-depth study of the entire qur'an InshaAllah. This is just between myself, my Lord and any scholarly references I can find no classes or anything. I am using tafseer from sufi sources, to shi'a ones ancient and modern day. I started with this plan for how it would go, but I have been so awed by surah al fatiha that I can't seem to move on. This surah is so powerful and its meaning so broad. Subhanallah, just a few days of contemplation and reading of this surah has opened up new worlds of meaning and possibility for me and my faith. I have often heard that it is called UmmAlKitab (mother of the book i.e. the qur'an, which also opens up new worlds of exploring the divine feminine in Islam, but I'll save that for another time exploring the "divine feminine" is sort of a secondary area of exploration that I am working on as I work my way through the quran InshaAllah). Anyway it is called UmmAlKitab because it is said that the whole quran is contained in this one surah, after studying it I can understand how. The more I study qur'an the more I fall in love with Islam, subhanallah. Here is one tafseer that I especially appreciated: http://www.nuradeen.com/Reflections/SuratAlFatiha1.htm

User Tag List