Need help on good intro to Paganism - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-22-2002, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Pagan mamas -

I need your help. DH is very earth centered in his spirituality - he often describes himself as a "monotheistic pagan humanist" (whatever that is: Anyway, I have been encouraging him to read a little about paganism and was wondering if there is a good book or books you could recommend? I would appreciate it!
#2 of 8 Old 08-22-2002, 07:45 PM

I'm not a pagan nor a mama but have heard good things about Circle Round, which is geared for families:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
#3 of 8 Old 08-23-2002, 01:09 AM

A good one I would recommend is called "Celebrating the Great Mother: A Handbook of Earth-Honoring Activities for Parents and Children" By Cait Johnson and Maura Shaw. It's wonderful and very peaceful. If you go to amazon.com and do a search on spirituality and parenting there anre tons of books taht are wonderful. That is where I have got most of mine from. Blessings!
#4 of 8 Old 08-24-2002, 09:38 PM

Are looking for info on the many varied paths of paganism? Or one specific path? Wicca is probably the most well known, and it often seems that every pagan book is about wicca, but there are so many paths.

Pagan Pathways is pretty good and covers Wicca, Druidry, Heathenism, and some others I can't remember off the top of my head.

If you are looking for a good primer on Goddess spirituality the I really like The Spiral Dance by Starhawk, also wrote Circle Round, which is a wonderful book geared twords sharing the path with children. Also Witch Crafting by Phylliss Curott is great if you are looking for a book on Wicca.
#5 of 8 Old 08-25-2002, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the great suggestions!

I will try to get a few for Dh. I am encouraging him to learn more so he can share with our daughter. He is kind of anti-anything organized but I am hoping maybe he will find some rituals/traditions worth embracing.

Peace,
Deirdre
#6 of 8 Old 09-01-2002, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pagans & Christians by Gus DiZerega is excellent.

I like Circle Round very much too.

Celtic Ritual by Alexie Kondratiev is a non-Wiccan alternative. It's about historic and modern cultural Celtic religion.

Pagan Parenting by Kristin Madden is very good, as is The Family Wicca Book by Ashleen O'Gaea.

HTH

"What will you do once you know?"
#7 of 8 Old 09-02-2002, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One website that I found to be so helpful when I first started learning about Paganism is the Pagan library. I think it is paganlibrary.com. If you type thay in and it doesn't work, let me know and I will find it for you. Good luck and have fun on your search!

coffee-drinking caffix.gifsocial worker in HIV/AIDS ribbonred.giflady-loving ribbonrainbow.gifbike-riding bikenew.gifmom of two twins.gif
#8 of 8 Old 09-02-2002, 03:57 PM

The book I usually recommend to people unfamilir to the different pagan pathways is Margot Adler's "Drawing Down the Moon." It's big but fairly complete (as complete as one book can be about such a broad topic ).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page