Does anybody know... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-27-2002, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw some people yesterday in the park who were very oddly dressed, I assume for religious reasons.

There was a bearded guy and two women. They all looked like anglos. All three wore loose fitting unbleached cotton clothes and sturdy hiking boots. The guy had on a tunic and trousers a brimless hat and a beard. Both women wore identical dumpy and shapeless dresses tied with a sash and their hair was completely covered with a head scarf. They looked just like Catholic nuns, except they had veils over the lower half of their faces.

I have never seen this style of dress before. At first I guessed they were moslems, but most of the moslem women around here wear scarves and long duster coats of colored fabric.

I'm just curious if anybody knows who these strangely dressed people were. If I see them again, maybe I'll ask.

--AmyB
#2 of 4 Old 08-27-2002, 04:17 PM

Sikh maybe? I think the religion is called Sikhism.
#3 of 4 Old 08-29-2002, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

I would have thought so too, excelpt that sikh women specifically don't wear veils (they consider it false modesty).

I thought they might be muslims because of the veils, but I don' t know of any muslim sects that wear that style of simple unbleached cotton clothing.

Oh well. It's not really important. I was just curious.

I guess it's because the clothes seemed to represent some religious practice that I'm not familiar with at all.

--AmyB
#4 of 4 Old 08-29-2002, 11:18 PM

Among Muslims, there are some Sufi groups who wear only natural-fiber clothing. Many white American converts are attracted to Sufism, a contemplative, mystical side of Islam that has a lot in common with some "eastern" religions. Some Muslim women do wear the niqab (that's the opaque veil covering the lower half of the face). It's considered obligatory by some--although it is inappropriate for prayer. I don't wear it, but I have met women who do.
In short, these people could indeed have been Muslims.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page