Tell me about Yule and Winter Solstice celebrations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 12-03-2004, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This came up with dh and I while discussing the holiday episode of Blue's Clues, thought that here would be a goog place to ask.It seems like kids books and videos cover Christmas, Hanukah and Kwanzaa, but I want my kids to know about ALL the different celebrations.

So if you do Yule or Winter Solstice (are they the same thing? I thought they weren't, but I have to admit, I'm not real up to date on such things), what are you celebrating? What do you do? Do you decorate your house? Have family gatherings? Give gifts? Is there a mythical entity like Santa who brings gifts to kids? Anything you want to share would be great.
#2 of 33 Old 12-03-2004, 01:26 PM

this will be our 1st year celebrating the solstice instead of christmas. we are going to have a big bonfire and light lots of candles, and have a circle giving thanks for death and rebirth, the seasons, etc. maybe we will all bring things we want to give away and then everyone can pick and choose what they want. of course we will have a huge potluck. i also want us to all write letters to ourselves, and give them all to a "letter-keeper" who will mail them out to us next december. i also want to pick a tree in the woods and decorate it with food for the birds- popcorn strings, orange rings, pnut butter bird seed pine cones, etc.

i am also looking for more ideas!

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#3 of 33 Old 12-03-2004, 03:08 PM

We do pretty much the same thigns as most of the Christians that I know- eat special foods, have a tree and decorations, give gifts, etc. We don't have a Santa type figure, but I know several families that do "faerie" gifts, or gifts from Mother Nature. We burn a Yule Log- fires are pretty common for winter solstice, so is staying up all night to welcome the sun. We don't do that because I value sleep too much lol. There are some kids book that you may be able to get from the library:
The Winter Solstice by Ellen Jackson and A Solstice Tree for Jenny (can't remmeber the author)
The one that we love for solstice is Sun Bread- which is not about solstice at all, but it really has the themes. We liek to bake Sun Bread from the recipe in the book and toos it up at the sky to call back the sun LOL
#4 of 33 Old 12-03-2004, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We celebrate the winter solstice as the return of the God (and thus the light, and the sun) to the year. We decorate a tree (living and/or artificial) with ornaments and some god and goddess symbols. We dry lemon and orange slices as representing the sun. We also decorate an altar to honor the season of winter and the Divine. We wake early to see the sunrise on the solstice. It's a great day of good food, and gifts, and family.

I hope to get out to a solstice celebration at the UU fellowship this year but I am not sure how they do that in this town.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#5 of 33 Old 12-03-2004, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We do a Santa Christmas, but I'm gradually working more Solstice imagery: candles for light, the Sun, the whole concept of Dawn of the day after the longest night of the year...into the spiritual side of our season. Our tree is full of Santas and nature imagery anyway, so it's more of a Solstice shrub than Christmas tree.

"What will you do once you know?"
#6 of 33 Old 12-04-2004, 03:22 AM

We do the Solstice at our house, and we've slowly been working in some traditions of our own that we like.

We have a tree, and it's decorated in all animal-shaped ornaments (circle of life and all that). I have Lilu make a sun for the top of the tree each year, and I'm saving all of her old ones. We have presents, but they're not from anyone imaginary - Lilu knows they're from mom and dad.

I'll make a big dinner and invite relatives and maybe some friends over. I tried to make a Yule log cake last year, and it didn't come out so good - I need to work on that!

We sometimes decorate a Yule log and burn it in the fire. I like the tradition of writing down the things you'd like to forget from the previous year and burning them. During dinner we go around the table and everyone says what they're looking forward to in the next year.

An easy nature craft is to cut slices of bread with different cookie cutter shapes, put a string through them, then let them dry out overnight. Then you can smear peanut butter on them and cover them in birdseed. You can make a ton of those really quickly.

We went to the UU Church's Solstice service last year, but it was way too somber for my tastes - I was hoping for a fun, jovial celebration. It would be cool if I found a service like that so we could make it part of our holiday.
#7 of 33 Old 12-05-2004, 07:38 AM

We decorate the house with winter-y things... burn the Yule log, have a special dinner. We also do ritual with friends at UU church.. not sedate at all.. big Yule log, drumming, dancing, singing.

We don't do gifts. I am trying to get away from giving gifts on holidays.. they feel so obligatory, and too often the holiday becomes about getting gifts, not celebrating something sacred. One of the reasons we do Pagan holidays is that they aren't tainted with consumerism.. and I want to keep ours that way.

We Do give gifts on birthdays.. but mostly we just give love presents any old time out of love.
#8 of 33 Old 12-05-2004, 06:23 PM

Quote:
An easy nature craft is to cut slices of bread with different cookie cutter shapes, put a string through them, then let them dry out overnight. Then you can smear peanut butter on them and cover them in birdseed. You can make a ton of those really quickly.
I'm not too creative and need to borrow from everywhere to make fun things happen for ds around the holidays. Yule being no exception - this is such a cute idea that he'll LOVE to do.
Thanks sugarbeth!

Other ideas I've stolen include:
-making pomanders (oranges with cloves in them, rolled in cinnamin), we hang them in the windows and call them our suns
-incorporating lots of candle/candle holder making to "bring in the light"
-putting up a tree that we decorate as a family
-buying some greens together (not lettuce, like evergreen-y things) to "bring life inside" during the season when all else looks dead
-stringing together cranberry & popcorn garland to hang around to house, later put outside...
#9 of 33 Old 12-06-2004, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherah
We decorate the house with winter-y things... burn the Yule log, have a special dinner. We also do ritual with friends at UU church.. not sedate at all.. big Yule log, drumming, dancing, singing.
That was the sort of celebration I was hoping for when we went to the UU church last year. Maybe we should try a different UU church and see if they're a little less depressing than the one we went to.
#10 of 33 Old 12-06-2004, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It might be different even at that UU this year Beth. Ours varies from year to year. In fact we alternate the Easter service between Christian and Pagan. I'd call and ask what they have planned. OTOH, if you've got other UU churches within reach, check them out!

"What will you do once you know?"
#11 of 33 Old 12-10-2004, 03:07 PM

Usually I celebrate the birth of the African deity Heru, whom the Greeks call Horus with fasting and meditation during the winter solstice. Since i am pregnant I will not be doing that.
#12 of 33 Old 12-10-2004, 06:49 PM

What does the "burning the Yule log" represent and (pardon my ignorance) is the "Yule log" something special or just a log named thus?
#13 of 33 Old 12-13-2004, 12:36 AM

We usually do a Santa type Christmas for my parents and dh's parents. I do like to point out all of the pagan traditions that the Christians have adopted as their own though. Most years I would also celebrate the solsitice. Some years I have celebrated with others, and some years alone. I really am more of a solitary. Ds's first Yule I read him the story of the Oak king and the Holly king. We also do that one at Midsummer. I told him about how the god is reborn at yule and it heralds the coming of the light. But last year my daughter was stillborn on Yule. So this year we are not really going to do anything for Yule. In the years to come I will probably mix Yule traditions back in, but we will just have to see.
#14 of 33 Old 12-14-2004, 03:27 PM

Some of my family's traditions include buying a live potted redwood tree for our solstice tree and donating it to the local school district after the holiday, baking scones or muffins to take out with us along with hot drinks to watch the sunrise. Grownups stay up all night and hold vigil, the kids light a candle to stay up for them when they get sleepy, then wake up to the smell of baking treats. Sometimes we keep solstice to just our family, sometimes we have several families, sometimes we vigil alone and meet others at dawn. We sing solstice songs, Christmas carol tunes with new lyrics and the 4 original solstice songs we know. Yule gifts are small and usually handmade. The big present grab is saved for Grandma's house at Christmas.
#15 of 33 Old 12-18-2004, 06:22 PM

We have a tree decorated with lots of glittery, shimmery things and lights and we give gifts. Solstice occurs in the evening on the 21st so on the 21st we have a "Tie down the sun" ceremony/celebration at the UU church we attend. For that we gather around the bonfire and toss balls of yarn over it and sing, drum, etc. Then we will come home and open one gift (Cecelia's pajamas) and do a candle lighting ceremony (we turn out all the lights and have some quiet reflection and then light one candle for each cardinal direction and then one large candle to represent the sun.) On the day after Solstice I am hoping to get up early and welcome the sun when it rises (but I don't know how well that will go since I loathe getting out of bed and skipped it last year.) Then that day (the 22nd) is our bigger celebration that the sun did indeed come back and we open the rest of our gifts and have a big meal and celebration. I read DD the stories from the book Circle Round on the 21st or 22nd as well.
#16 of 33 Old 12-19-2004, 10:21 PM
lab

Oh my GOSH!

Thank you so much for the thread and the posts.

The ideas and traditions sound beautiful.....

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
#17 of 33 Old 12-19-2004, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much2luv
What does the "burning the Yule log" represent and (pardon my ignorance) is the "Yule log" something special or just a log named thus?
Here is a link for ya about the Yule Log

"By lighting a fire, the ancients were acknowledging the return of the sun, warmth and light, which was marked by the lengthening of days and the promise of the coming spring. In pagan belief, for good luck, the Log should be lit on the first try and must burn for twelve hours."

Another explanation

"This is a graphic representation of the rebirth of the God within the sacred fire of the Mother Goddess. As the log burns, visualize the Sun shining within it and think of the coming warmer days. Traditionally, a portion of the Yule Log is saved to be used in lighting next year's log. This piece is kept throughout the year to protect the home."

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#18 of 33 Old 12-20-2004, 01:55 AM

We are Catholic but are trying to teach our children about all the different celebrations. And I just have to say, the Winter Solstice celebrations sound amazing & beautiful! I'm glad they were posted.

I'd love to incorporate those into our family traditions. I'm on a spiritual journey right now & still trying to see where we fit & feel at home even though we are still practicing Catholics to an extent!

*Momma to a spunky 11 year old & diva 9 year old
*Proud wife of "The Rock"
#19 of 33 Old 12-20-2004, 02:09 AM

This year we're doing the 13 days of winter, with a different activity for every day. Activities include driving around looking at Christmas lights, building a snow person, caroling, leaving treats in the trees for our animal friends, taking in a holiday production or movie, holiday games for the family, leaving candy canes on the doors for all our neighbours, baking, crafts, giving gifts to those less fortunate than us, playing outdoors, visiting with Santa and decorating our Yule tree.

We're also going to start a family wish box. Everyone that comes visit throughout the holidays will get to write their wish for the new year on a piece of paper and put it into the box. At the end of the season we'll take the wishes and use them to make homemade paper. This sheet of paper will then get turned into a page in our wish book, which we'll add to each year.

We'll also do some of the other things mentioned here, like read the stories from Circle Round. There's also a Solstice celebration here in the city on the 21st, so we may make it to that or we may have a quiet dinner at home by candlelight.

Thanks for all the great ideas folks! I love this time of year!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#20 of 33 Old 12-20-2004, 04:20 PM

Here's another holiday wish-craft project I have done, and it works as well for a Christmas celebration as a Solstice one. Purchase a clear translucent frosted glass holiday ornament and some brightly colored paper (we used origami paper) Pull the top off the ornament and have everyone write down or draw a wish (or prayer) and then fold the paper and tuck it into the ornament. Write the year on the outside of the ball, and if you are so inclined, sprinkle a bit of glitter or fragrant herbs and spices in with the paper. It makes a colorful ornament that holds all your wishes for the year.
#21 of 33 Old 12-20-2004, 04:29 PM

We are having a Solstice here tonight- we will be lighting candles and reading stories about the return of the sun. My kids will get a few presents each and after we will have a fire and burn all the 'stuff' we do not want to bring with us to the new season- ie - secrets/arguments/judgements

The other night we went to a Solstice Evergreen Spiral-
the night started with a puppet show of the suns return to earth then the kids 26 of them, walked thru the evergreen boughs shaped in a spiral, and lit their candle from the one in the center, then the kids placed their lit candle on one of the stars placed on the floor for this reason. after the candles were all lit- the spiral was amazingly beautiful!!!

gotta go get ready
#22 of 33 Old 12-20-2004, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We are having a quiet dinner by candlelight.I will keep my candles lit tonight while we tell stories and write on paper things we want to get rid of for the new year and things we would like to accomplish this year that we haven't before.We are making some cinnamon buns tonight and spreading seeds all over the balcony for the animals to eat.Then we will watch the sun rise in the morning.And I am going to let my son open a gift tonight.
#23 of 33 Old 12-20-2004, 11:41 PM

DH and I going to the beach we were married at tomorrow and Wednesday. Yippee! Weather permitting we'll have a fire on the beach and read some Solstice poems. We'll try to stay up all night and watch the sun rise but...who knows...

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
#24 of 33 Old 12-21-2004, 01:38 AM

This thread is beautiful!
#25 of 33 Old 12-21-2004, 02:10 AM

Catnip, can you share your solstice songs? I would love to sing songs about nature set to Christmas carols. I love holiday songs, but feel sort of weird singing the religious Christmas ones without meaning the sentiments within, even though I think the actual music is beautiful.
#26 of 33 Old 12-21-2004, 01:33 PM

At our UU service on Sunday we sang "God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen" with the following words:

Good rest, ye merry gentle folk, let nothing you dismay
Remember our dear goddess birthed the sun on Solstice Day
To save us all from winter's cold and bring us spring again
O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy
O tidings of comfort and joy

Now to new life sing praises, all you within this place
And with true love and friendship, each other now embrace
This holy time of Solstice is filled with winter's grace
O tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy
O tidings of comfort and joy

And then for Joy to the World:

Joy to the world! The Sun has come,
Let Earth with praises ring.
Let every heart prepare a room,
And heaven and nature sing,
And heaven and nature sing,
And heaven, and heaven and nature sing.

Joy to the Earth! Now gladness reigns.
Let hearts their songs employ.
While fields and floods, rocks, hills and plains
Repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat, repeat the sounding joy.
#27 of 33 Old 12-21-2004, 02:40 PM

oh Anna, thank you! I'll print these out to sing around the piano- DH will love them!
#28 of 33 Old 12-21-2004, 05:37 PM

Here are the words to a solstice song I wrote in 2002:

A Winter Solstice Song
December 17, 2002

Make in me a River of Love through my soul:
Dear Holy Mother Earth make me more whole.
Then let me remember to open my mind to
Give away Lovingness; Let my thoughts be kind.

Oh make in me a River of Light through my mind:
Banishing ignorance; Poverty bind.
Be Generosity work through my hands.
Let all who falter find their second chance.

Oh make in me a River of Peace through my Voice:
Mother Of All Things let Peace be my choice.
Send me your Vision. Make every word Wise.
Let me see Everything with Compassionate eyes.

Make in me a River of Silence that flows
Help me forgive and release all my woes
Help me to clear all angers, all sadness and strife.
Let me walk grateful steps all the days of my Life.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#29 of 33 Old 12-21-2004, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Along the lines of more traditional carols again:

Our tradition is to sing "The Holly and the Ivy" while we cut greens & decorate the house:

The holly and the ivy
now both are full well grown
of all the trees within the wood
the holly bears the crown.

O the rising of the moon
the running of the deer
the playing of the organ
sweet singing all around.

The holly bears a blossom
As white as any flower
And the sun will be reborn again
After its darkest hour.

O the rising of the moon
the running of the deer
the playing of the organ

The holly bears a berry
As red as any blood
And the sun will be reborn again
To give us all its good.

O the rising of the moon
the running of the deer
the playing of the organ

The holly bears a prickle
as sharp as any thorn
and the sun will be reborn again
after Solstice in the morn.

O the rising of the moon
the running of the deer
the playing of the organ

We also sing "Deck the Halls," "Good King Wenceslas" & "Here We Come A-Wassailing" and all through the winter holiday season we sing more secular songls like "Jingle Bells" and "Winter Wonderland".

I'm working on new lyrics for "Still, Still, Still" and "Silent Night".
#30 of 33 Old 12-22-2004, 03:14 AM

We do some of this plus tonight we kept the electric lights off and had only candlelight and the fireplace! It was so pretty! On the weekend we went to a Luciafest- where Lucia comes in with her crown of candles and lights the center candle which everyone them lights theirs from, while we make our wishes for the year. My kids were a candle girl, a tomptie and a star boy in the procession. Cute! Happy Solstice, everybody! I am definately going to use the song lyrics!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page