Where have all the Christians gone???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 98 Old 08-31-2002, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi sisters (and any brothers out there),

I was gone for awhile and came back to find the boards basicly devoid of Chrsitians! What happend to our Chrsitian comfort corner? Anybody up for some encouragement, comfort and a cup of
(or tea if you prefer).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 98 Old 08-31-2002, 11:45 AM

I'm here but RJ is keeping us so busy these days I don't get online as often as I'd like....she's teething furiously...right now has like 3 coming thru at once and 2 are molars! oweee!

I'll grab a quick cuppa tea with you though
#3 of 98 Old 09-01-2002, 04:41 AM

I'm here too - although I don't check this forum often as the threads usually aren't of a subject I can offer input to KWIM?
#4 of 98 Old 09-01-2002, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to see some response
BTW what does KWIM mean? Basicly I am "Amish" when it comes to the computer:

Have a blessed Lord's Day!
#5 of 98 Old 09-01-2002, 11:29 AM

I was wondering where everyone had gone too. I'm guessing we are all just so busy with summer activities. Glad you started this thread Rev Mom!! I could sure use a good cup of tea and a nice chat with you all.

It will be herbal tea for me....I had a little scare that put me in the hospital. I'm doing fine now (except for some high blood pressure.) I went cold turkey on the coffee in the hospital and I think I'll stay that way.

I better run now, or I'll be late for church.....
#6 of 98 Old 09-01-2002, 08:15 PM

Barbara...glad you are OK. Hope your scare wasn't too bad...

Hi RevMother...good to see you around again! I also haven't been checking into Spirituality as often...mainly because I have next to NO spare time at the moment...

Maybe others are the same? I guess people are getting ready to go back to school, get back into routines, etc. after a summer off...
#7 of 98 Old 09-01-2002, 09:09 PM

Hey, good to see you. Sorry, I've been hanging out in Cicely Alaska... glad to be back.
#8 of 98 Old 09-02-2002, 10:07 PM

Hi Ladies,
I am new to this board and would love advice on 2 fronts. One is how can I have a richer prayer life when my house is so busy and distracting. I find it very dificult to carve out any quiet time.
Also does anyone have any advice on sharing the gospel with people they meet or long time friends. I am a "closet Christian" due to a fear of rejection I believe. I feel like I live in 2 different worlds with my secular friends and my Jesus friends. It troubles me so that I wish I could move away and start all over with new people.

Thanks
Jan
#9 of 98 Old 09-02-2002, 10:45 PM

It can be hard to find time to pray when you barely have time to catch your breath. I generally pray before I fall asleep (but after dd is asleep)while I am in bed. This is usually the only time I can just sit in the quiet and think.

AS far as teaching my secular friends about God and Jesus. IMO One does this best by living by example. My friends know I am a Christian and if they are having spiritual problems and ask me about things I talk to them about it. I am not very good at just bringing it up to people and I think that is a fault I have.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#10 of 98 Old 09-03-2002, 10:10 AM
Banned

I'm Christian but I'm constantly disgusted with the behavior of my fellow Christians (but not here you guys are the coolest Christians around )

I think things go in cycles.

Debra Baker
#11 of 98 Old 09-03-2002, 10:15 AM

I'm here @ 4:15 am. Insomnia has settled in so life is pretty hazy now. Baby's due in 7 weeks. I'm afraid to ask our Priest to baptize him/her since our mass attendance has been so poor lately.

Chamomile tea sounds lovely.
#12 of 98 Old 09-03-2002, 11:41 AM

Pretty much the only time I get by myself is in the shower, so that's my prayer time. And occasionally in the car when Riley falls asleep.

Quote:
Originally posted by nbrmom3
Hi Ladies,
I am new to this board and would love advice on 2 fronts. One is how can I have a richer prayer life when my house is so busy and distracting. I find it very dificult to carve out any quiet time.
Also does anyone have any advice on sharing the gospel with people they meet or long time friends. I am a "closet Christian" due to a fear of rejection I believe. I feel like I live in 2 different worlds with my secular friends and my Jesus friends. It troubles me so that I wish I could move away and start all over with new people.

Thanks
Jan
#13 of 98 Old 09-03-2002, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RM - We were just all so sad when you left that we decided not to come out and play anymore. just Kidding. Actually, you were theone who usually starts the good threads. So pick a topic. . .

Also we have been really busy. Just this and that sort of stuff. So good to see you back.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#14 of 98 Old 09-03-2002, 04:33 PM

I'm here. Busy, busy, busy. . .
#15 of 98 Old 09-03-2002, 04:53 PM

I'm here, but haven't felt like I've had all that much to offer on Christian threads.

I am looking forward to chatting with you.

I have decided to bring some cookies along to go with the tea and coffee being served. They are YUMMY oatmeal raisin cookies!
#16 of 98 Old 09-03-2002, 10:39 PM

i would love to be part of this circle i have a hard time finding christian mamas (there are close to none) that i can relate to with my nonmainstream and sometimes funky ways! i seem to have more in common with non christian moms, and im now accepting that it is okay!! anyway hope to get to know some of you even if only online
#17 of 98 Old 09-04-2002, 05:00 AM

RM, sorry it took me a while to respond. KWIM means Know What I Mean.

Lovinmyboy, I know exactly how you are feeling (I think). Most of my friends are non christian. Partly because of the way we parent and partly because I find myself drawn to funky people ( that doesn't mean christians can't be funky people). I, myself, have my nose pierced...not sure if that makes me funky but you certainly wouldn't guess I'm a conservative christian :LOL. It's more of a creative expression for me KWIM?

Abimommy, I think that's great advice about teaching by example. There are definately areas within my life that I could work on to be a better example.

onehipmomma, thanks for the cookies

Oh, and NM - hey, we're posting on the same thread and it's not even a debate!
#18 of 98 Old 09-04-2002, 02:07 PM

Hi !
I would love to hear the point of view from all you Christian Mamas about celebrating Halloween? I try to downplay it but my kids still go trick or treating. I don't do scary decorations etc..
I know some Christians who completely don't celebrate it and some who do. My church is doing a Harvest party this year so we may go to that.
see ya!
#19 of 98 Old 09-04-2002, 05:26 PM

Jan: my ds is only 1.5 yrs, so for us Halloween is still a trip to the grandparent's house in a cute costume and having a couple of pictures taken.

I don't have a problem with Halloween. I know it's origins, and I am comfortable with my son celebrating it when he is older. It is a fun time for us, not so much a serious holiday. We will not make a huge production of Halloween, much the same way that we don't make a huge production out of "mainstream" christmas.
#20 of 98 Old 09-04-2002, 07:16 PM

I am new to this forum, so I'm very excited to hear about like minded Natural Living Christian Mom's & Dad's. I will be sure to look in more often in this area (when I get the opportunity).

I can't agree w/ you all more that living by example is a great way to go. I've felt guilty that I haven't been witnessing as the Lord would want me to, but it's a comfort knowing that we witness just by living our lives as the Lord would want us to.

About Halloween... Sometimes our church has a Harvest Festival in place of trick or treating & I would be okay w/ taking my ds to that type of activity.
#21 of 98 Old 09-04-2002, 07:55 PM

Tinaq We are looking forward to getting to know you too!
#22 of 98 Old 09-04-2002, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You guys brought up an intresting topic about Halloween. i think I will start a new thread about it. This forum could use some fresh intresting thresds

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#23 of 98 Old 09-04-2002, 11:35 PM

I am a Christian too, but have been scared off the spirituality board...the stuff that I have read has been mostly anti-Christian stuff, I don't want to be involved with that. I don't want to feel like my beliefs should be attacked but those of others should be respected. I find that a lot in society too, but that is another subject for another day.

Halloween: well it is my mom's birthday, so in our family growing up it was a big holiday. We trick or treated until we were in middle school....then we went to halloween parties and had a few of our own. My dd is 10 mo (almost), we plan to dress her up and find some harvest party at a church, we just switched churches so I am not sure if they have one or not.

I too find it hard to find "natural" Christian mamas out there...I have found that a lot of people equate Christian parents with spanking and Ezzo....Dh and I are learning as we go and AP just *fits* us...we both have come from abusive backgrounds and the idea of hurting our child to get across a point just doesn't sound right.

Anyway, so I am glad that maybe there will be some new pro-Christian threads...I will have to check back often
#24 of 98 Old 09-04-2002, 11:56 PM

Hey there RM -- it is nice to see you! I've found Christianity to be a topic only for heated debate in this forum. And I don't have the energy for it! But I'm very glad to see you are still around!
#25 of 98 Old 09-05-2002, 02:26 AM

Quote:
We will not make a huge production of Halloween, much the same way that we don't make a huge production out of "mainstream" christmas. ~onehipmomma
I like that! I believe that is what we have done, for the most part. Mostly we have not celebrated, or have done some church thing on that night, such as a harvest party or a community outreach. Last year I just didn't feel like making a big deal out of not celebrating, so we let the little ones go to the houses on our street where we know the people. There is something that disturbs me about my children "begging" for candy door to door. I perfer that they don't have candy so we may just let them dress up and go out for dinner this year.

Good to see all you mammas here! I too have often found it difficult to find friends among the christians I know. They all think dh, the kids and I are all a little too funky. I know for a fact that many at our church are regularly praying for us to repent from our "funky ways" gotta love 'em!

&
~b
#26 of 98 Old 09-05-2002, 05:22 PM

im thankful for you funky, smart, thoughtful, and holy spirit filled mamas! i wish we could find a church filled with folks like you all.
i also want to stay out of religious debates so hopefully we can avoid that here. im so sick of the negativity against christians but i can also see how we get a bad rap from types like the weirdo preachers on t.v.!! are any of you in california?
#27 of 98 Old 09-06-2002, 09:44 AM

A funny story about encounter with the Ezzo philosophy.
After I had my 2 boys I learned of the Ezzo system from a friend who had just been introduced to it. I was surprised that people actually thought a newborn nursling could be forced into a feeding schedule. When I became pregnant with my dd I thought how am I going to do it with nursing on demand, having one child in school and sports, dealing with homework, juggling another in preschool, etc. It sounded like a 3 hour feeding schedule would be so much easier to handle. I read parts of the book though I never bought it. My daughter arrived in April just before the onset of little league season and I never gave it another thought. She nursed on demand and was so easy. I guess I forgot how easy it was to nurse here,there and everywhere....ie at the baseball games, in the pre school parking lot. I know that Ezzo requires you to allow a newborn to wait until their scheduled feedings and I know that would never work for our family. There has been a lot of negative publicicty about this Ezzo philosophy. I don't think you can apply a total system to parents and child without taking into account individual temperments culture etc. I used to feel like I missed the boat when I found out about it after already being well along on the road of parenting but now I am glad I trusted my instincts and didn't jump on the bandwagon. I was also very pleased when Dr. Sears published his Christian parenting article in Mothering. I also don't think God would want us to just jump on a childrearing philosophy created by man. HE created us the way we are and gave us tools and instincts to raise our children.
Oh well sorry this is so long.
Jan
#28 of 98 Old 09-06-2002, 10:27 AM

Hi everyone! Glad this thread is here. My limited postings have been on "im pregnant" But I would like to join here, too!
As far as prayer goes, may I share a way I pray .... I do it out loud all day long!! Especially when I feel gratitude (or need it) I just say it out loud. My son likes hearing me pray. He is almost two and I think it i good for him to see that you don't need a special time or place. I often feel prayerful during our stroller rides as well. Anytime I am outside is a time to reflect and say "thanks" and of course, with a two year old and being pregnant I often find myself asking for patience and grace!!!!!!

Now that I live in Maryland (I am from the south) I see halloween as more of a chance to enjoy the ending of fall (beg of winter-like weather) and I LOVE pumpkins!!!!! I could do without the CANDY of halloween. I think as my kids grow we will make of it what we want to. But definitely the emphasis is on the lovely weather and pumpkins!!!

I also want to share some exciting news-- my son gets to start Sunday School when he turns two in a few months!!!!!!!
#29 of 98 Old 09-06-2002, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

I am sooooo glad to "see" all of you here! The Christian Revisionist Thread (and a couple of others) had me really feeling depressed. I know as Christians we "aren't in Kansas anymore" but it was lonely reading.

Barbara I know what you mean about being the only funky "earth mother" in the church.

About the prayer life question...once I had children I found that I had to set my alarm early to get my quiet time in. I am NOT a morning person but i had to do it so now I enjoy my time with God while sipping on a cupa.

Has anyone any tips on dealing with the "Pillars who hold up the church - and hold up (the progress) of the church"?
#30 of 98 Old 09-07-2002, 08:40 PM

RM - no great ideas on those 'Pillars of the Church', but I was thinking about you the other day...the other week, dh started the choir singing praise choruses in the 10-15 minutes before the service starts. So far, nothing but positive comments, which is nice for a change!

I wasn't sure where to post this request, but I thought here might be a good place. My mom just found out this past week that she has a tumour in her spine (she's been having test after test for several months, and they've just now found the problem).

Her doctor says it isn't cancerous, but they need to operate, or it will eventually paralyze her. Her surgery is scheduled for 2pm (Alaska time) on Monday, 9 September). We are all a bit scared, and would appreciate your prayers.

Thank you all,
Carolyn

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page