New (?) Jewish Magazine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-01-2002, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were in Whole Foods Yesterday and I saw a magazine with a name something like "Natural Jewish Family" or "Jewish Natural Family." One of the article referred to on the front was "Frum on the Farm." I was wondering of any of you have read the mag. It looked interesting, like it could be a supplement of sorts to Mothering.

I am not Jewish, though Dh and I have Jewish family and college friends who range from non-practicing Reform to Hassidic Rabbi (Chabad). My knowlege of Judaism is pretty much limited to keeping Kosher, the celebration of holidays, and some basic Jewish concepts (lashon hara - sp? - and the like), as that was mostly what I encountered in college. I attended and participated in so many Shabbat and other services in college that one aquaintance forgot that I wasn't actually Jewish. :LOL

I rented an apartment one year with a modern orthodox friend and we had a great time. After graduation, however, dh (then my fiance) and I moved far away from these friends, so we have had limited contact with them since their marriages. Now we are moving back to the area where many of them live. I'm really looking forward to seeing them more often - we already have a New Years' Eve date with one couple.

I wonder if this magazine would be of interest to me in learning what these friends' lives' are like now. I feel a bit out of step with them (and actually with myself as well, but that has to do with living in an area where I just could never truly belong - I grew up in a more rural area near Chicago, but have been living in or near NYC for the last 9 years). A few of them are into natural family living as well and all, of course, see us with our slings, cloth diapers, etc.

Anyway, this is getting a bit long, so I'll stop now.

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 09-01-2002, 04:18 PM

Pam -

The magazine is not new, it's called "Natural Jewish Parenting," with a strong AP POV, promoting EBF, the family bed, gentle discipline, and whole earth living. The editor, Yael Resnick, is an AP mama (and I understand from mutual friends is now homeschooling, too ) up in Massachusetts, and she has a Chabad (ie., Chassidic) background.

It's strongly Jewish; meaning not just AP and organics and natural lifestyles, but deeply spiritual. Jewish spirituality is all over it.

In case I'm not being clear about it ... I LOVE THAT MAGAZINE.

As an aside, it's a shame I didn't read it as soon as I got the new issue (with "Frum on the Farm" on the cover) because it has tips in it for kosher camping. Tip #13, I think it was, was if you go camping in the month of Elul, don't forget to bring a shofar. We just went camping. And we forgot our shofar.

(explanatory note: During Elul, the last month of the year, in preparation for the new year, the shofar is blown every morning ...)

- Amy
#3 of 9 Old 09-01-2002, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Amy,

Thanks for the review.

I think I'll get it the next time I see it. I wonder if the friend I roomed with knows about it. She's AP'ing. I helped her onto the path by referring her to LLL for a better sling.

Quote:
In case I'm not being clear about it ... I LOVE THAT MAGAZINE.
Naah, couldn't tell. :

Quote:
As an aside, it's a shame I didn't read it as soon as I got the new issue (with "Frum on the Farm" on the cover) because it has tips in it for kosher camping. Tip #13, I think it was, was if you go camping in the month of Elul, don't forget to bring a shofar. We just went camping. And we forgot our shofar.
OOPS!! :LOL

Pam
#4 of 9 Old 09-02-2002, 01:21 AM

Thanks to this thread and recommendation, I did a search and have just subscribed to NJP! Thanks guys

:SaHM to 3 *DD* DD2 * DS
#5 of 9 Old 09-02-2002, 07:57 AM

Yes, that is a great magazine. I found one lone copy in our little english library here, which has a suprisingly large amount of donated magazines, unfortunately there are all mainstream (Parents, Cosmo : , Redbook, etc). I DEVOURED that one issue of NJP!

-BelovedBird

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#6 of 9 Old 09-14-2002, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I went to WF yesterday and bought a copy. It's great.

I read the editorial on touching and think it's a neat way to teach kids about good and bad touches, though I would change the wording of the second question to, "Was it comfortable?"

It's interesting to see a different perspective on so many things.

Pam
#7 of 9 Old 09-14-2002, 05:09 PM

I can't wait to pick up this magazine! I didn't know it existed. Thanks for posting about it on the forums!

Miriam
#8 of 9 Old 09-14-2002, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.webtrix.net/shopcart/nat...ng/default.asp

Thought it might be nice to have the link in this thread.

Pam

Edited to add:

Use the link below, as this one's security certificate has problems and you may not be able to get through, depending on your browser's security settings.
#9 of 9 Old 09-15-2002, 12:46 AM

Pam, I didn't get through to your link.

Here's a direct one, should work ...

http://www.naturaljewishparenting.com/

And good vokh (a good week), everybody ...

- Amy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page