Alternative names for "Godparents" and ideas for a ritual needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2002, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A very dear pregnant lady who is a friend of mine asked me today to write a ceremony to honor the godparent relationships that her baby will be blessed with. Kind of a bonding/making it official kind of thing after the babe is born. She is also looking for some alternatives to the word "godparent". I just adore writing ceremonial blessings of any sort but this is a new theme for me. Thought this might be a great place to get some inspiration to get the creative juices flowing. Any ideas for ritual? Any words to share on what godparents have meant to you and/or your children?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2002, 07:23 PM

Goddess parents? Spirit Parents? What about having a special name for each one. Like my grandma was my Nina and I always called her that not grandma?

hmmm I'll post if I think of a better one.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
gaurdians. This could be ina spiritual sense as well as a "if anything should happen to me" sense.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 09-10-2002, 12:39 PM

HOw a bout Protectors of the Light Within....

i aslo like spiritual guardians since that's what they are supposed to do..

God parents are supposed to share your beliefs so should anything happen to you they can help to raise your child/ren in a way that you would approve of...

Those are the only ideas i can come up with...

Good Luck!!

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 09-10-2002, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! I really don't have any personal experience with godparents so you guys have definitely given me a place to start thinking about what role they really do play in a child's life. I like how all your suggestions tie the godparent role to the spiritual facets of life, not just what they do in the here and now. Thanks again for taking the time to reply!
Old 09-13-2002, 07:58 PM

How about 'Alternative Guardian'?

That is what we would use if we had them, lol. Still haven't found anyone capable of the job...

julie

Old 09-14-2002, 11:46 PM

Sheperds? Tenders? I am brainstorming a garden/pastoral theme here. Nurturers. Since pagan spirituality is so grounded, right?How about finding a beautiful word that means the same thing from a language of that families background. That way it would carry the deeper meaning, but not the odd connotations. Like how the word Doula is used. etc.
good luck, it sounds exciting!
blessings, maria
Old 09-15-2002, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We just use Godmother for our children's Goddessmother.

She would not become their legal guardian if the unthinkable happened to us, but she would keep herself available for any questions they might have on most any topic religious/spiritual or otherwise. We've told DS this in case there's ever something he can't bring himself to tell us(though I don't see that happening since we Do talk), and we'll tell DD the same when she's older.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 10-04-2002, 05:59 PM

Our girls have what we call their "support web". My hysband's cousins, and my sister and her partner where chosen to be their "godparents". But we do refer to my sister and Karen as thier "Goddess Mommies".

Hugs,

J
Old 10-16-2002, 11:29 PM

Hi everyone,
It just so happens that this weekend we are holding our sons blessing ceremony. We use the term God and Goddess parents. These people play a very important part in all of our lives. They become a strong support system for our children and are there to help support them on thier spiritual path, what ever that may manifest itself as. On mothers day and fathers day the kids celebrate that connection through some special time spent together, a home made card etc. These special people have also done something special to honor their relationship by starting a tradition with them or beginning a collection of things for them. It's really quite wonderfull for all involved. We can't wait for the weekend. We have been collecting great food, constructing dried flower head wreathes for the girls to wear, making a cleansing broom, just building up the energy for the day. The circle will be drawn, four corners welcomed in and the introduction of our son will begin. His mouth will be blessed with laughter, his heart with compassion, his feet with the path of enlightenment. etc... Not only will his goddess parents be acknowleged but our dd's will be reafirmed during this ceremony. We have asked that the guests bring a bead for each child with them as a gift and to charge the bead with a wish. We also will ask them to write the wish in a jounal. The beads will be strung into a necklace, they will then be able to carry it with them and add to it as they grow. The journal is the start of thier book of shadows. I'm so excited about this, I can't express how wonderful this already feels and the ceremony hasn't even happened yet. Like I said the energy is building and the Goddess is at work. Hope some of this helps. Thanks for letting me share, I don't have too many people around to do that with when it comes to this.
Many Blessings
Moonseeker

User Tag List