Hopefully quick question for LDS mamas ... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-11-2002, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the difference between a LDS church and a temple?

We have a church on the next block which I've been told is about to become the major east coast LDS temple (or is it a temple about to become the major church? I forget ...)

Anyway, the person who told me this was all worked up about it. I can't see any reason why anyone should care, and particularly why it's a non-LDS'er's business what the LDS organization does with its real estate, but apparently this person thinks it's a big deal.

Being totally uninformed, I figured I might come here to be slightly less uninformed ...

So what is the difference?

Thanks for any answers ...

- Amy
#2 of 5 Old 09-11-2002, 10:57 PM

Well, the "quick answer" is this:

LDS church (aka meeting house, stake house [unfortunately], stake center, etc.): the place where congregations attend weekly sabbath worship, as well as "community centers" for weekly activities, youth, boy scouts, women's org, priesthood (men's organization), blood drives, etc. A ward building will usually have two or three wards (congregations) meeting in it. A stake center will also usually have two or three wards meeting in it, but will also have facilities for a stake presidency and high council to meet. a ward is kind of like a parish and a stake is kind of like a diocese, i.e., a regional area comprised of several wards and branches ("little wards"). This is comparable to any other kind of church.

LDS Temple: This edifice (there are over 110 in the world now in operation) is never open on Sunday (or whatever the local Sabbath is). It is the location in which special, specific sacred ordinances are performed for the living, and also by the living for the dead. These are "one-time" per individual ordinances, sort of like baptism.

The things that take place in each type of buildings are all crucial to our beliefs--the church is kind of like the "everyday" and going to the temple is "extra", more sacred, a special opportunity, etc.

Since you are Jewish, perhaps the appropriate comparisons would be between the synagogue (regular meeting place) and the temple--at least traditionally, where the people went annually to offer sacrifice (I'm assuming I have this right--I am uninformed about how/if this has evolved to the present day).

I'm interested in your neighbor's understanding of the situation. It is exceedingly unlikely that they will convert the church into a temple. That has only been done once, with a historical meeting place in Utah, and from what I understand they plan on absolutely NOT doing that again ... Although it's very cool that they did it. It is also impossible to designate any given temple on the East Coast as THE primary east coast temple. I would estimate that if such a thing did/will exist, it would be the Washington DC temple, which is about 30 years old, and is already there. They are building so many temples in so many areas, there are the following, just off the top of my head: Palmyra (near Rochester and me ), one in White Plains NY, which I believe is somewhere north of NYC, Boston, DC, Atlanta, a couple in Florida, one in Connecticut, at least one in somewhere like Raleigh-Durham, etc. There are more than this, but this is what I can think of.

What is likely, and increasingly likely, is that there will be a small temple built on property adjacent to the meeting house. There are more and more being built like that, and they often use each other's parking for busy days, i.e., when there is a stake conference the people use the temple parking on a Sunday, and when people are doing sessions at the temple on a busy Saturday, they might use the church parking lot. The church is really trying to assess property it already owns in cities and countries around the world.

Okay, that wasn't quick, but I always have lengthy replies, and hopefully it gives you the info you were looking for. You could always have just read the first half and gotten the answer ...
#3 of 5 Old 09-22-2002, 12:57 AM

Hey, Bekka-

I have to correct you. The Church is renovating an existing building in Manhattan to become a temple. I just read it in this month's Ensign (our LDS monthly magazine). I'm sure in a place like NYC where land is at a premium, this would be the best option. Like Bekka said, it's not the norm.
#4 of 5 Old 09-22-2002, 12:35 PM

One last note also, the church used to construct very large temples like the Washington D.C./ Salt Lake City/ Los Angeles temples (I don't know if you've seen pictures of these AmyRPK) where obviously larger numbers of people could attend. This was b/c there were relatively very few that were built prior to this last decade. Now the move is to construct smaller temples so that more members have the opportunity to attend them. I know that there is always some controversy where temples are built b/c neighbors worry about the changes will happen due to the building. What I think your friend will find is that b/c temples are considered to be the most sacred place for LDS members that those who attend are always reverent, respectful and seeking to enhance areas vs. the opposite. With the smaller temples there will be less traffic with that temple vs. others such as the Washington D.C. temple. The landscape is always very thoughtfully planned and taken care of and hsitorically almost all of the LDS temples have always been placed in a prime realestate area and have helped to enhance that value.

I studied in Jerusalem for a short while (6 mos) in our church study center (just across from Hebrew U on Mt. Scopus). This was several years ago so I've unfortunately forgotten much but I do know that synagogues are referred to as temples in the Jewish faith so this might seem a confusing term.

Hope this helps.

Edited for typos.
#5 of 5 Old 09-23-2002, 04:01 PM

Hey Laurel,
Thanks, you're right. I just read that in the Ensign the other day too.

_But_, they are renovating a modern building, not an historic "site" over 100 years old. Perhaps that what was "difficult." I definitely agree--can you imagine trying to find land in Manhattan or NYC? I don't think they're even making it taller in NY--they tore down the old building and rebuilt a new temple in Hong Kong for same reasons.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page