All religions worshipping one "God"? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 68 Old 10-21-2002, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My father has a skepticism very similar to Yammer's and I was raised without much spirituality, and what I was exposed to (outside the home) was so shallow and preachy...and I never felt seen, like I could only be accepted in a religious community by conforming.

I am very scientific and mathematic, so that was my avenue that awakened a sense of religion for me: In an AP math class in high school we studied higher dimensions, and I could draw analogies from 2nd to 3rd to imagine a 4th dimension. I did my project like this: with a piece of paper representing a 2-D universe I told the class to imagine it went on forever in that plane. In a 2-D universe, the "scientists" might search their universe and "prove" no such thing as a pencil exists (those crazy people who made such claims are delusional) but from our perspective we could see the pencil outside that 2-D plane. Then one day it passed through the plane, and from the 2-D perspective a point was born and it grew to be a circle, existed as a circle for some time, the one day just disappeared (died.) And once again, this circle called "pencil" did not exist anymore, after death. But we in the higher dimension of 3-D could see it in its complete birth to death. Likewise, in our 3-D world we can only get cross-sections of a larger 4-D shape.

In college I went to Ghana and a favorite proverb of mine from there said, "Truth is like a baobab tree. One person's arms cannot embrace it." And this rung true for me, that we are all trying to describe something beyond our comprehension, and can see only cross-sections of something much bigger. So my interpretation of this was that all religions, and all people are looking at the same universe, the same mystery, and have unique perspectives.

This was my gateway into religion.

And it drives me crazy that my Catholic MIL thinks I just don't get it. Her poor grandson has not been baptized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 68 Old 10-21-2002, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pussycat
[B]
I know no two people come to God in exactly the same way. But I don't think that means there is more than one God, however. He knows what each of us need to be called to Him.
And if some people don't find your God, did God not know what they needed? No, that is covered by free will, perhaps. Or karma, in my book.

Quote:
I do believe there is a right and a wrong. If everyone is right who is following their own path, then those who suicide bomb for God's sake, those who kill abortion dr.s for God's sake, those who beat their children because they believe God says we're supposed to... then they are also right. And I don't believe that.
What you believe isn't necc biblical, but something that perhaps makes you feel comfortable. The Jews were mass murderers (well, warriors, whatever) in the OT, killing entire civilian populations and burning the towns down. Were they evil? Acc to those they killed, probably. Acc to their god, they were good, righteous.

Solomon believed in beating kids. Was he called evil? No, he is called wise. He also worshipped other gods. Was it evil when he did that? I don't think he is ever called evil, but displeasing to the Lord, yes.

I think fundamentalists of any religion can be quite dangerous, when they take their extreme beliefs to violent ends. But that is not biblical, JMO.

No time for more just now,

Peace--
#63 of 68 Old 10-21-2002, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaryLLL
Solomon believed in beating kids. Was he called evil?
Huh?

Mom of 5 boys- 13, 10, 8, 2 : and newbie Aug. 24th, '09 . babywearing advocate . Cook, baker, homemaker, wife to a man with another woman's kidney (live altruistic, unknown donor).
#64 of 68 Old 10-21-2002, 07:43 PM

DaryLLL, as a descendent of ... what did you call it ... warriors? ... I'll add one thing for your consideration.

The TaNaKh (what you call "OT") is about people, human beings, warts and all, imperfections and all, and their relationship with G!d. There are no perfect people in the TaNaKh. Their sins are out there in black and white.

My understanding of the New Testament ... and the Koran ... is that they are about perfect people, god-like people, infallible people.

Human beings. I like to think that I'm descended from human beings.

Aren't we all.

- Amy
#65 of 68 Old 10-22-2002, 05:14 AM

The New Testament has human beings' sins out in black and white just as much as the Old Testament.

Pussycat
#66 of 68 Old 10-25-2002, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by amyrpk
My understanding of the New Testament ... and the Koran ... is that they are about perfect people, god-like people, infallible people.
- Amy

Oh no, there are lots o' sinners in the NT...
#67 of 68 Old 10-25-2002, 02:48 AM

Oh, no, I wasn't saying everyone was perfect. Only the hero of the story is ... or are there others, too?

In the "OT" everyone is flawed. And the star of the show is so seriously flawed that he is the only one of the Israelites not allowed into the promised land.

That is really my point. No one is perfect. In the Torah, anyway.

But don't hold it against us, please.

- Amy
#68 of 68 Old 10-27-2002, 05:32 PM

DaryLLL- It's been a few days, but now that I have a moment to respond...

Yes, it is about free will. God knows what everyone needs, but He isn't going to force people to be in relationship with Him. Each of us has the choice to choose Him or not.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page