new here too - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-19-2002, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am new to this thread too! um.....the biggest thing i noticed is the comparison of Christian and Pagan holidays....Thanksgiving is not a Christian holiday! it's not a religious holiday at all! so there shouldn't be any conflict over Pagan vs. Christian with this one. unfortunately i don't have much family-of-origin, so i do a lot of celebrating "just us"....i love all holidays! so i do the thanksgiving in november, but also mabon. i don't have a problem having many opportunities for showing gratitude!
wow, Keisha, a Black Jewish Pagan. a woman of many talents!!! that's cool! boy i bet you ARE busy! tell some more about Kwannzaa. from what i do know it sounds like a very cool holiday.
i live in a very non-cosmopolitan area, so no coven *sniff* but our local UU is allowing the few Pagans in the congregation to do a Mabon ritual this saturday night. i am so excited! beforehand the babysitter is coming for dinner and we will have chili and cornbread too. and then there is a drumming on sunday!
i'm not totally Veg yet so probably this thanksgiving will have the turkey and etc. unless i get fed-up-with-meat by then (and i may well). if so, i will figure out something else! lots of winter squash at any rate. and grains. i don't know yet!
pamela
single mom to rio, 1/01

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#2 of 4 Old 09-21-2002, 12:54 AM

um...the christians weren't the only ones giving thanks...so were the native americans...

Welcome to the boards, mercyn! Please hop over to TAO and tell us the history of your username! (Funky usernames, take 4...)
#3 of 4 Old 09-21-2002, 02:18 AM

Welcome to the board mercyn.
I think the thread you're referring to is the one asking Pagans if they do Thanksgiving, Mabon, or both. I don't think the question was asked in terms of a Christian holiday verses the Pagan Sabat, but rather an issue of timing and stress since they are so close together. Mabon IS a thanksgiving holiday, so I think that some of us wonder why we do it twice, as it were. If my parenst weren't coming up for Thanksgiving we probably woudl not make a big deal out of it. The kids don't really liek the traditional Thanksgiving fare anyway.
#4 of 4 Old 09-21-2002, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

yep, that was the one. well, like i said before, i can do two (or more) parties and chances for feasting and giving thanks!! LOL i do like parties and food. and i do feel ever so grateful on a daily basis for my blessings!
thanks for the welcomes! what is TAO? i can tell you about "mercyn" right now.....i tried to come up with a magickal name years ago. i am descended directly from Governor William Bradford of the Mayflower and he had a daughter named Mercy, and the extra "n" is because i tried to make a name numerologically correct with my birth number. so it's mercyn. i pronounce it MER-sinn. it's technically incorrect because i used a 2-digit birth year but.....oh well, it fits. at the time i was big-time Gothic and it also acronyms into Necrym which sounded typically Goth-y. that's it!
pamela

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page