Resources on Paganism - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2005, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found this book at a local used store for $1 but it's orth full price. It seems well researched too!

The Ancient Celtic Festivals: And How We Celebrate Them Today
by Clare Walker Leslie (Author), Frank E. Gerace (Author)

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...261820-3153943
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2005, 04:55 PM

ooh--I spotted that title online (full price though) a while back and it looked interesting but I wasn't sure...glad it's a good one!
Old 08-24-2005, 10:22 PM

Great thread! Lots of great info for my study.

Here’s a bump

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 08-24-2005, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Medieval Scandinavia- An Encyclopedia by Phillip Pulsiano (editor)

The Pagan Religions of the Ancient British Isles their nature and legacy by Ronald Hutton
Old 01-10-2006, 04:38 PM

:

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
Old 01-10-2006, 07:14 PM

Totally forgot about this thread, thanks for bumping it. Maybe one of you fine ladies can help me?

I have been getting a huge urge to study Demeter. Doesn't surprise me too much, as I some how had that as a nickname in Jr. High. That was my name in a notebook we used to pass around and write stuff in.

Anywho, I am trying to find some scholarly type books to peruse. Hopefully avoiding Robert Graves and the schmucks, that link Demeter, Aphrodite and Hekate into a matron, maiden, crone trio. Blah.

Anyone have any suggestions?

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 01-16-2006, 09:47 PM

<bump>

Old 01-31-2006, 08:15 PM

Ok ladies, I have just stumbled upon what is by far and hands down my favorite witchy book yet -- it's called Life Magic , and it's by Susan Bowes. It's got a little bit of everything in it -- meditation, positive thinking, circle making, runes, essential oils, herbs, astrology -- along with the cultural and historical information that makes all the details significant to our psyches. And best of all, she is never pedantic, and always says to do what feels right first. OK, that's second best of all to the fact that the book is choc full of beautiful full color images, details from classical paintings alongside of modern renderings.

I'm an ecclectic kind of earthy gal, and like to pick and choose bits and pieces of religions based on what sounds like fun or strikes a chord, so this book has just replaced about thirty that were on my amazon.com wishlist! But I wouldn't recommend it if you want a text that's going to claim to have tried-and-true formulas, or that dictates strict orders of operation, or even to tell you just exactly what a witch is. This book is all about d.i.y., with enough tidbits and helpful suggestions to help you really make witchcraft work for YOU.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Anywho, I am trying to find some scholarly type books to peruse. Hopefully avoiding Robert Graves and the schmucks, that link Demeter, Aphrodite and Hekate into a matron, maiden, crone trio. Blah.
Someone's really done that? ugh.

Demeter and Persephone were mother and daughter though.

The latest book that I can recommend here is Celebrating the Pagan Soul: Our Own Stories of Inspiration and Community, compiled and edited by Laura Wildman

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 02-10-2006, 05:55 PM

Old 04-07-2006, 01:14 PM

Here are some interesting books I found at a local college library:

Feminist Spirituality and the Feminine Divine: an annotated bibliography by Anne Carson

Encyclopedia of Ancient Deities by Charles Russell Coulter and Patricia Turner

Dictionary of Symbols by Carl G. Liungman <--this one is really fun!

Old 04-24-2006, 03:30 PM

Here are a couple of faves for goddess stories and associations:

The Storyteller's Goddess
by Carolyn Edwards
Goddess Guidance Oracle Cards (with explanatory book) by Doreen Virtue
The Goddess Oracle by Amy Marashinsky

Some books on my wishlist, or that I frequently check from the library:

Any of Patricia Monaghan's, but especially The New Book of Goddesses and Heroines
Edain McCoy's The Sabbats
Celebrating the Great Mother by Cait Johnson
Witch in the Kitchen
Any of Starhawk's books, but especially Twelve Wild Swans

And does anyone know anything about Patricia Telesco's 365 Goddesses?
Old 04-24-2006, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaryLLL
Good idea Arduinna.

I would like to add two books to this list. They are not about Celtic paganism, but about Egyptian/Greek (and surrounding Mediterannean areas) religion of "biblical" times. That is, Egyptian religion from about 3000 BCE on, Greek mystery religions of the last few centuries BCE, and leading into gnostic xianity of the first few centuries CE. Gnostic xianity was/is very unlike Literalist xianity, which is rigid and exclusionary. Gnosticism is more concerned with a mystical connection to god/dess. It is democratic and tolerant of various individual approaches to the One. It is heavily influenced by Plato and other Greek thinkers and their philosophies.

The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God?

Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians

by T. Freke and P. Gandy

The books are simple, easy to read, but loaded with footnotes in the back, if you want to dig deeper.
What did you think of the second one? I heard from some reviews that it repeated some of the info in the first book. Do you think that's a fair characterization? Or does the second book provide enough new info to make it worth a read? (because, you know, I don't have enough books in my to-read list )
Old 05-25-2006, 09:40 PM

bump-a-sito

Old 06-10-2006, 03:57 PM

Another little bump. :

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainLaurel
What did you think of the second one? I heard from some reviews that it repeated some of the info in the first book. Do you think that's a fair characterization? Or does the second book provide enough new info to make it worth a read? (because, you know, I don't have enough books in my to-read list )
No, the 2nd book definitely covers a lot of new ground. It only recaps the first book in the first chapter, while adding more as well even then.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:04 PM

Can I add a book that I loved?
When God Was a Woman by Merlin Stone
Not necessarily Wiccan or really any religion. But it really spoke to me.
Sorry if its already been suggested

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

Old 07-22-2006, 09:38 PM

This was hiding on page six! Bumping it up for some memories and new pagan finds...

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:40 PM

Just another bump! :

Old 08-22-2006, 02:35 AM

Old 08-22-2006, 04:30 AM

Don't know if this one's been suggested yet. "New Age and Neopagan Religions in America" by Sarah Pike.

LeBoof
Old 09-08-2006, 02:34 PM

*bump*
Old 09-12-2006, 10:55 PM

Heyla all! (warning...looooooong post ahead!)

The thread about pagan movies/pagan fiction got me thinking about all the great pagan-friendly or pagan-themed books I read as a kid. These aren't necessarily "pagan", but all of these are books I think might be appropriate for families on a pagan path (some are more "child oriented" than others, some are probably only of interest to "young adult" readers, and some live on every bookcase I own!).

In no real order but starting with authors (instead of individual books)...

Susan Cooper, specifically The Dark is Rising series (http://www.thelostland.com/index.htm or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwitch). Strongly influenced by British pagan traditions. Very clear cut fight between good/evil played out against the mythic history of the British Isles. I remember chanting the central poem of the books over and over as a kid ("When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back..." the poem grows in length over the course of the books)
--Under Sea, Over Stone
--The Dark is Rising (which most people read first)
--GreenWitch
--The Grey King
--Silver on the Tree

Ursual Le Guin ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_K._Le_Guin) specifically the Earth-Sea books. Le Guin's books are amazing, but many of them are dense and almost scholarly. Not surprising as she's the daughter of a well known anthropologist!
--The Wizard of EarthSea
--The Tombs of Atuan (main character is a young priestess)
--The Farthest Shore
--Tehanu
--The Other Wind
other strongly pagan themed books by le Guin include
--The Word for World is Forest
--Always Coming Home

Patricia McKillip (http://www.patriciamckillip.com/Books/ ...check out those oh-so-pretty book covers!). Her writing covers a number of genres (though mostly young adult), and some are better than others. Many of her recent novels are retellings of traditional "pagan" tales like Tam Lin (Winter Rose) or the Lady of Shalott (Tower at Stony Wood). Her writing style is often described as "lyrical" or "poetic" but I usually think of it as "language for language's sake"...it can take a while to get used to the flow of her writing but once you do it's addictive! Her older writing tends to be much more "readable" so if you get lost in her recent stuff try her older books first.

Charles deLint (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_de_Lint and http://www.sfsite.com/charlesdelint/faq.htm for a closer look at his religious leanings) blends the mythic history of the first peoples of the Americas with that of the British Isles and sets the whole mix in the "real world/modern day". So the person on the subway next to you may be Raven, the man on the corner Coyote, the little girl wading under the bridge a pooka, the shadow you saw from of the corner of your eye actually a gnome. DeLint is a prolific writer and some of his work is VERY dark (he used the pen name "Samuel Key for his horror titles), so not everything is appropriate for young people.

JRR Tolkien (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JRR_Tolkien)...these days just about everyone is familiar with The Lord of the Rings books, but the Silmarillion is much more "religious". Tolkien himself was a christian, but the religious mythos of the Silmarillion (and the LoTR, Hobbit, etc) can fit into a pagan worldview.

Patricia Keneally (was married to Jim Morrison if anyone is a Doors fan...and I think she played the priestess in the movie?). She's written a series of "Celtic Science Fiction" books, growing from the idea that the early Irish (Tuatha) left earth and continued to evolve as a civilization elsewhere. While some are more "space adventure" than others, they are all strongly pagan.
--The Copper Crown
--The Throne of Scone
--The Silver Branch
--The Hawk's Grey Feather
--The Oak Above the Kings

Mercedes Lackey (http://www.mercedeslackey.com/text/1biblio2.shtml) has written a ton and a half. Some of her books are very pagan, some kind of pagan, but just about everything she writes supports a pagan worldview (or at least a mythic one!). For the Very Pagan:
--Burning Water
--Children of the Night
--Jinx High
--Sacred Ground
--Tiger Burning Bright

Robin McKinley (http://www.robinmckinley.com/RM_Biblio.html). Many of her books are pagan or pagan-friendly. And her writing spans genres and age groups. The ones I remember the best (for pagan themes and strong female characters) are:
--The Blue Sword
--The Hero and the Crown

Andre Norton (http://www.andre-norton.org/index.html)...wrote more or less non-stop for 90+ years. Lots of pagan and pagan friendly children's literature, young adult, and adult. In particular, her Magic Sequence series is great pagan children's literature (though a bit dated) and her Witch World series is classic:
--Steel Magic
--Octagon Magic
--Fur Magic
--Dragon Magic
--Lavendar-Green Magic
--Red Hart Magic

Individual books that spring to mind:
--Watership Down
--Wrinkle in Time
--A Wind in the Door
--Swiftly Tilting Planet
--The Last Unicorn
--The Chronicles of Prydain (Written by Lloyd Alexander, the books are far better than the Disney version, IMO, so don't judge them based on the Black Cauldron film)

and more as they come to me...

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 09-13-2006, 01:31 AM

Wobatclay~ : I love you! Love librarians! I'm printing that post out!

Old 09-13-2006, 11:55 AM

Ditto, this list rocks. I have to say that I've read them all but will have to print it out because I think it's time to reread some of them, especially Susan Cooper. Just grabbed The Witch of Blackbird Pond from the library last week, starting it tonight. I remember reading it in jr. high school and visiting the "pond" & Wethersfield CT on a school trip. I get a thrill every time I drive up Rte. 9 and see the sign for Blackbird Pond.

I wanted to add authors Piers Anthony, Tamora Pierce, Sherwood Smith & William Goldman's The Princess Bride

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

Old 09-13-2006, 02:32 PM

I actually forgot to add a biggie, as my DH pointed out...Diana Paxson (http://home.pon.net/rhinoceroslodge/paxson.htm and http://www.hrafnar.org/) is a wonderful heathen author with some great books. My own tastes (and religious choices) run towards the mythic history of the British Isles, but as an active member and elder of the American heathen community, Paxson's books are amazing for families following this path (or anyone interested in that pantheon or history). And she does have a few series that are within the Irish branch sagas.

Some of her books include:
--The White Raven (a retelling of Tristan and Isolde)
Wodan's Children Series (Sigfrid and Brunhild retold):
--Dragons of the Rhine
--The Wolf and the Raven
--The Lord of Horses
and the Fionn MacCumhal Series (ahhh, Ireland)
--Master of Earth and Water
--The Shield Between the Worlds
--Sword of Fire and Shadow

And although not strictly pagan, the DiscWorld books by Terry Pratchett (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/terry-pratchett/) are the next best thing. Of course, some of the DiscWorld books are more "kitchen witch" or pagan than others, though the humor may mask the deeper world view (I have the Nanny Ogg cookbook ):
--Equal Rites
--Wyrd Sisters
--Witches Abroad
--Small Gods
--Hogfather
--Carpe Jugulum

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 09-13-2006, 05:28 PM

My rec's are:

Craft of the Wild Witch
by Poppy Palin

Avalon Within by Jhenah Telyndru

Celebrating The Seasons Of Life: Beltane to Mabon : Lore, Rituals, Activities, And Symbols by Ashleen O'Gaea

Celebrating the Seasons of Life: Samhain to Ostara : Lore, Rituals, Activities, and Symbols by Ashleen O'Gaea

Books to read to youngen's:

Afternoon of the Elves
by Janet Taylor Lisle ...this book REALLY spurred me to the Pagan Path.

All I See is Part of Me
The Story of the Root Children
any books by Lynn Plourde
also I have read Mythology books and Brother's Grimm to my kids

Emily SAHM to four unschoolers Olivia (9), Brian (7), Jack (6), and Liam (5)
Old 09-13-2006, 11:39 PM

Ok, not "pagan" books but very pagan friendly (all are fun fiction boderline brain candy!)

Laurell K Hamilton - Anita Blake Series and Meredith Gentry

Kelley Armstrong - Women of the Otherworld Series

Sherrilyn Kenyon - Dark Hunter Series

Kim Harrison - Dead Witch Walking (the first of a series that I cant remember the name of, but I like them all)

Maggie Shayne - Some are great, some good, some eh

And it'll sound weird but.....a lot of Nora Roberts new series are very witchy in flavor

Now, these are not books that will draw you to paganism, but as a pagan, they are fun to read. Pure pleasure books:

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

Old 09-14-2006, 01:51 PM

brain still rambling along the path of "pagan lite"...

Many of the books by Sheri Tepper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheri_S._Tepper) are strongly pagan in worldview or tone. Her work can be a bit edgy and VERY politicial to boot (I recall some sexual abuse themes in the Mavin Manyshape books, and her more recent books essentially blast the current American "consumer economy" as well as any form of "religious fundementalism" so be warned if you're offering this to older children or young adults).

Possible titles for a pagan family might be:
--The Companions (the importance of animals and the wisdom they possess)
--The Visitor (what happens if/when myths and legends become actual people? and what happens to religions that don't or wont change?)
--The Family Tree (nature takes back the planet)

Again, her stuff can be a little strong, but it's a good read in a fantasy/science fiction genre for young adults or adults. She tends to take a subject and then push them to the (perhaps illogical) extreme. She likes to explore themes of religion, equality, diversity, and the role of women.

Old 11-05-2006, 03:06 AM

Hello all!

What are your favorite books with wonderful illustrations? I'm interested in sacred images of all sorts.

:

User Tag List