Resources on Paganism - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 259 Old 09-22-2002, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi to all you pagan MDC members,

I thought it might be great if we had a thread with info for those seeking good sources for info on Paganism. Especially since I've gotten quite a few pm's from people in the past asking for recommendations. So I figured that we all could be of service to those seeking. So please post your favorite resources especially for those who may be new seekers. Websites, books whatever you have.

Here's some possible topics:

History, The Gods/Goddesses, Meditation, Divination, Magic and Ritual, Healing, Astrology, Mythology, Folklore, Herbalism, Holidays, Reincarnation. I'm sure their are more......

If your looking for an accurate history of modern paganism (especially it's British History) I suggest "The Triumph of the Moon" by Ronald Hutton. A bit dry reading but what do you expect from Oxford University Press??

His previous book which covers the history of the Sabbats is also excellent in uncovering how much we do and don't really know. It's title is "The Stations of the Sun" by Ronald Hutton. Again dry reading but the scholarship is excellent.

For online books check out
http://www.sacred-texts.com/index.htm They lots of ancient texts from world religions.

ok, I think I've gabbed enough, NEXT!
#2 of 259 Old 09-22-2002, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pagans & Christians: The Personal Spiritual Experience by Gus Di Zerega is excellent from many angles.

I like Starhawk's perspectives, though her history in Spiral Dance is actually modern mythology.

Circle Round is good when working with children, I learn from it as well when I pick it up.

Celtic Ritual by Alexie Kondratiev is good for Celtic Paganism.

Being a Pagan by Ellen EVert Hopman and Lawrence Bond is interviews with various well known Pagans on various paths.

Sitting under a Full Moon.

"What will you do once you know?"
#3 of 259 Old 09-22-2002, 11:50 AM

One of my favorite sites:

www.spiralgoddess.com
#4 of 259 Old 10-23-2002, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Meiri, do you have any suggestions for good Celtic mythology books? All I can think of is the Mabinogian but I'm not sure what the best translation is.

For Norse Mythology: The Poetic Edda

Here's my list for Greek Mythology books: by Hesiod; "Theogony" and "Works and Days". The works of Homer, especially the Homeric Hymns. The Hymns of Orpheus.

Roman Mythology: Metamorphoses by Ovid.
and here's a good website for anyone interested in Roman Paganism http://www.novaroma.org/main.html
#5 of 259 Old 10-23-2002, 12:34 PM

I'd like to add "A History of Pagan Europe". I am in the midst of reading it now ( just finish the section on greek/roman/egyptian paganism and starting celtic now). I am generally a history nut and have been interested for a long time in the history of religion. This book is excellent at describing the evolution of pagan worship from family centered to state (government) centered in ancient rome (and it's empire). It also describes the rise of christianity and islam and the coincidence of events that allowed christianity to fluorish. Interesting it also discusses the survival of family oriented or peasant paganism in the context of government run christianity. This book is very general and paints a very large brush with out going into a hugh amount of detail (at least compared to other books I have read that discuss one century , civilization or god). It may be considered dry by some as it is written using standard history technique (quoting primary and secondary sources).

I am really enjoying it.
#6 of 259 Old 10-23-2002, 02:02 PM

Greenfrogs that sounds interesting.. and I don't mean to go too off topic but I am curious how Egypt and the Asherah info you mentioned in another thread figure into a book on EUROPEAN paganism?

Maybe that's too complex for you to detail here and I should just read it.

Anyway: Back on topic:
I highly recommend Urban Primitive.. a guide for city-dwelling Pagans.. how to adapt rituals and practices traditionally celebrated in rural settings to the urbal lifestyle. Just a wonderful book.
#7 of 259 Old 10-23-2002, 02:37 PM

Asherah,

The way that egyptian and european paganism is link is basically through trade. The peoples of europe frequently traded with peoples of north africa, arabian penisula, and northern India/pakistan. There is also reference to peoples of africa (ethiopia) living in large numbers in what is now spain around 200 CE. The intermixing and interaction of these peoples resulted in blending of religious practice and tradition. Therefore, this book and many others on ancient western culture often include discussion of cultural and religious practice from this entire region.

Ok that sounded a bit dry....in any case what I find particularly interesting is the similarities between what is considered sacred in many cultures and how it is represented.
#8 of 259 Old 10-23-2002, 11:05 PM

The Mabinogion is Welsh stories.

For Irish you want The Tain, which is one set of stories. I can't think of anothe title for other stories just now, but I'll try.

Instead of looking up "Celtic" look up IRISH.

#9 of 259 Old 10-27-2002, 10:24 AM

My faves:

www.lunaea.com (Beautiful goddess site with lots of links also her gorgeous online tarot cards.)

www.schoolofseasons.com (Waverly Fitzgerald's site on living with the seasons, goddess, etc.)

www.tarot.com (They have great readings and you get lots of free readings when you join - or at least you used to when I joined a while ago. membership is free!) It is also a great place to check out decks which you may be interested in purchasing.

Great thread Arduinna!
Joyfulliving
#10 of 259 Old 10-27-2002, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

oh I forgot, for those following a lunar calendar, this is the best program that I've found for keeping track of the moon phases and what sign the moon is in. Also has sun rise and set times, and it can be configured for your longitute and latitude. Awesome!!! Runs in your task bar so it is always in sight.

http://clysmic.com/lunabar/
#11 of 259 Old 10-27-2002, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Here's is some more stuff

Anyone looking for info on Anglo-Saxon Heathenism ? Here is a link, but I cannot attest to it's historical accuracy (just not my area of expertise) seems pretty good though .. http://www.englishheathenism.homeste...roduction.html

Tarot:

Tarot Spreads http://www.tarotspreads.com/

Reviews of Tarot Decks http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/index.html

Source for hard to find Tarot Decks http://www.tarotgarden.com/

Meiri, I wasn't really thinking of Celtic=Irish. Do you have any good book suggestions for the Gaulish (continental Celts)? Thanks for recommending the Tain for Irish mythology.
#12 of 259 Old 10-27-2002, 05:27 PM

I don't know that much about the Continental Celts other then Epona is a Gaulish Goddess rather than Irish or Welsh or Scottish. Sorry

online resourses for Celtic:

http://www.imbas.org/
http://www.clannada.org/
http://www.celtic-path.org/
http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/corpus/Carmina
http://www.belinus.co.uk/folklore/Homeextra.htm

This one is a big listing of the Celtic Triads. http://www.illusions.com/rowanhold/3things.htm

#13 of 259 Old 11-02-2002, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to post this, not sure about copywrite issues, so just posting the link

Seeker's Bill of Rights

http://www.betwixt.org/bnb_info/seekers.asp

edited to update link
#14 of 259 Old 11-20-2002, 03:41 PM

Just bumping this up, as people seem to keep asking, and this covers it.

I might also suggest, just go to a bookstore like Borders, and start looking. The pagan section is huge these days.
#15 of 259 Old 11-20-2002, 03:54 PM

Thank you thank you thank you!!!
#16 of 259 Old 11-27-2002, 03:40 AM

I totally love Pagans and Christians. Also, while I have rear The Triumph of the Moon, there are disputes about his facts. Some others I recommend (especially for those coming from Christian backgrounds):

The Alphabet Versus the Goddess by Leonard Shalin

The Jesus Mysteries and Jesus and the Great Goddess (can't think of the authors right now)

Stealing Jesus by Bruce Bawer

The Christ Conspiracy by Archaya S. (boring, but informative)

General Pagan knowledge:

I have just finished and LOVED "A Book of Pagan Prayer" not only is it full of actual prayers, it analyzes why and how we pray.

Hope this helps!

HipMomma
#17 of 259 Old 11-27-2002, 07:19 PM

Pagan Parenting

Someone already mentioned Circle Round, but it is worth mentioning again. The accompnaying CD is totally worth it too. Awesome.

I also really liek the kids' books: All I See is A Part of Me, and When the Wind Stops. Amazon has both of them with descriptions, I believe.

Could we make this a sticky?
#18 of 259 Old 12-05-2002, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

could we make this a stickey??

I think that would up to the Spirituality Moderator????
#19 of 259 Old 12-06-2002, 03:38 PM

Good idea Arduinna.

I would like to add two books to this list. They are not about Celtic paganism, but about Egyptian/Greek (and surrounding Mediterannean areas) religion of "biblical" times. That is, Egyptian religion from about 3000 BCE on, Greek mystery religions of the last few centuries BCE, and leading into gnostic xianity of the first few centuries CE. Gnostic xianity was/is very unlike Literalist xianity, which is rigid and exclusionary. Gnosticism is more concerned with a mystical connection to god/dess. It is democratic and tolerant of various individual approaches to the One. It is heavily influenced by Plato and other Greek thinkers and their philosophies.

The Jesus Mysteries: Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God?

Jesus and the Lost Goddess: The Secret Teachings of the Original Christians

by T. Freke and P. Gandy

The books are simple, easy to read, but loaded with footnotes in the back, if you want to dig deeper.

#20 of 259 Old 12-06-2002, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the great resources.
I recently got a subsription to The Blessed Bee, "a pagan famly newsletter," which has great suggestions simple rituals for children and involving them in sabbats. www.blessedbee.com
The same company also publishes PanGaia. I've only gotten one publication of PanGaia, so I'm not ready to recommend it.
I will also advocate the cd Circle Round and Sing. There are some catchy little numbers and I find myself singing about witches to my 4 month old daughter a lot.
#21 of 259 Old 12-06-2002, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I like pangaia, I think it's great especially for those eclectic pagans. I haven't read Blessed Bee, they dont' carry it locally.

Welcome to the lady from Kernville, we have camped north of there for years. Love it!
#22 of 259 Old 12-06-2002, 09:01 PM

Do the Gnostic texts speak of the birth?
#23 of 259 Old 12-06-2002, 10:27 PM

Great thread! Is the Circle Round CD a colection of the songs and stories in the book?
#24 of 259 Old 12-06-2002, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Great thread! Is the Circle Round CD a colection of the songs and stories in the book?
Yes, I need to get it some time too.

#25 of 259 Old 12-07-2002, 01:35 AM

Re: HotMama's question about the cd. . . I don't have the book, so I don't know which songs are in there, but the cd says, "13 songs from Circle Round-plus 6 new songs."
My daughter loves to listen to Circle Round, Fur and Feathers, Ocean Lullabye and The Witch Song especially. You can find it at www.serpentinemusic.com
I think that you can listen to exerpts as well.

Arduinna, Thank you for the welcome. I love Kernville also. We just moved here from LA a couple of months ago.
Where do you camp? Do you come for a particular festival? There are some great events up here.
#26 of 259 Old 12-07-2002, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

#27 of 259 Old 12-07-2002, 04:16 PM

Waldohood- Which Gnostic texts?
Arduinna- Im going to Morro Bay next weekend. There is a hay bale construction workshop near there in Cambria.
Thanks for the tip on Ponderosa. I'll have to check into that.
Whisky Flats days are so fun. Did you ever go the the BioRegions Festival? That is very impressive.
#28 of 259 Old 12-07-2002, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

I've never been to any of the festivals up there. DH went to WF days before we got married. We go to the NF for the trees and the solitude.

Have fun in Morro Bay!!
#29 of 259 Old 12-12-2002, 02:37 PM

Wanted to add this link to this thread.

pagan origins of the christ myth
#30 of 259 Old 12-12-2002, 07:46 PM

I would like to second Arduinna suggestion about Hutton's Triumph of the Moon. I'm half way through it now and have made a lot of notations. As a mediocre, casual pagan (I like to think of myself as from the peasant, rather than priestly class) a lot of the pieces of the modern pagan movement were kind of hazy to me. I enjoy history quite a bit, so Hutton's outlines of how a lot of things fit together (Plato, Romantic Poets, Theosophy, Freemasonry, and a balanced view of the contributions of Gardner and Crowley for example.)

I have't done any pagan reading in a long time, this book has revitalized my interest!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page