should toddlers pick their halloween costume? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-26-2002, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you let toddlers pick out their Halloween costume?:How have other mamas of toddlers done it? Do you give them 2 choices? I really wanted to have matching costumes but my dd wants to be whatever her older cousins are...she doesn't understand she can only be one thing.
#2 of 7 Old 09-26-2002, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have always picked my childrens costumes or at least had athe final say. Usually it boils down to what we can afford, what we have the "ingredients" for and what I am capable of making. Also I will not letr my children wear those plastic monstrosities you get at discount stores. And I want them to be able to hold up to many hours of dress up play in the future. We also go with a family theme (Last year we had a Mermaid, lobster and sea shell thank you Martha Stewart ) Halloween costumes are something we start thinking of way in advance too and see always has lots of ideas to offer and in the six years she has been alive she has never refused playing dress up or collecting candy so if she doesn't get to be exactly what she wants to be it is not like she misses out.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 7 Old 09-26-2002, 09:58 PM

this is a spiritual question? No offense, but the forum placement was kinda confusing...
#4 of 7 Old 09-27-2002, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Within the limits of budget and family beliefs about what would be appropriate, sure, why not??? Is that not half the fun?

"What will you do once you know?"
#5 of 7 Old 09-27-2002, 01:41 PM

Clarity--

Yes, Halloween is actually a religious holiday. The pagans call it Samhain, the Christians used to call it All Hallow's Eve. In Mexico, it is the Day of the Dead.

It's a spook holiday! Spirits, spooks, the thinning of the veil between types of reality. That's why all the emphasis on witches, ghosts, and skeletons.
#6 of 7 Old 09-27-2002, 03:59 PM

Daryl I get that (the halloween issue, quite extensively since dd and dh are both born then) but whether toddlers should choose costumes seems to be more1 a parenting thing than a belief thing.
#7 of 7 Old 09-27-2002, 05:22 PM

Oh, OK, gotcha~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page