celebrating autumn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-03-2002, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if anyone has ideas about how to celebrate autumn with a 16 month old?
#2 of 7 Old 10-03-2002, 02:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lots of walks!!! That's what we used to do. Now we're avoiding mosquitos until the weather cools enough that I feel safe outside in the evenings.

Bring a bag for all the beautiful leaves your little one will collect, whether you see them as beautiful or not.

"What will you do once you know?"
#3 of 7 Old 10-03-2002, 02:26 AM

We keep a nature table, which we fill from our daily nature walks. We also love to take her to the pumpkin field and the apple orchards.
#4 of 7 Old 10-03-2002, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Great ideas! Thank you!

Lady Lee, what's a nature table? I've been hearing a lot about it on these boards, but I'm not sure what it is.
#5 of 7 Old 10-03-2002, 03:13 AM

It's a Waldorf concept, AutumnWind--you just take a little table, or shelf, and create an altar to nature, whatever you want it to be .

Here's something that might interest you:

http://www.achildsdream.com/favorite...ure_corner.htm
#6 of 7 Old 10-03-2002, 09:28 AM
Banned

I wish Autumn would *come*.

Anyway, I take my children on a hayride at a local farm and we pick out our pumpkin.

We haven't done that yet this year but Julianna (she's 3) loves picking out smaller pumpkins at the market.

We have a nature table in our foyer. Right now we have some jack be little pumpkins as well as gourds and a little Waldorf doll.

We change the table with the seasons (actually about twice/season) I think this helps younger children become part of the rhythm of the seasons.

DB
#7 of 7 Old 10-05-2002, 02:58 AM

We love autumn! I grew up on the beach-no seasons! I had no idea what I was missing! The first year I moved to the hills, I gathered all kinds of leaves that had turned-purple, orange, red, yellow, brown, and filled a bag with them. The ones I didn't press inbetween the phone book pages, we scattered all over the 2nd story deck of our apt.! It looked pretty silly considering there wasn't anything but pine trees in sight! We also love to make grape vine wreaths-lots of wild grape in the hills here, and glue the pressed leaves to the wreaths. So beautiful!Oh & the acorns! It is so fun to string the acorns off of driftwood or branches/wreaths!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page