Prayer Poll - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-04-2002, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just thought it would make an interesting topic that can go across all faiths. Answer as many or as few as you want.

What was the last thing you prayed for, big or small?

Do you pray only for serious things like illness, or do you also pray for small things like not having too much rush hour traffic that day?

Do you only pray when you are very desperate or do you pray quite regularly?

How and where do you pray? At home, at the church/temple, on your knees, lighting a candle, etc.

Do you say prayer over your meals regularly?

How do you address the Divine when you pray?

Does it follow a formal prayer you were taught or do you make it up as you go?

Is the language that you use to pray more formal than how you normally talk? Is it a different actual language than what you speak everyday (such as Hebrew or Sanskrit)?

Lastly, when the prayer is answered do you say a thank you prayer back or do something else to mark your gratitude?

**edited for redundant question

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#2 of 7 Old 10-04-2002, 07:21 PM

For peace, and I gave thanks this morning.

Do you pray only for serious things like illness, or do you also pray for small things like not having too much rush hour traffic that day?

Big and small things.

Quite regularly--maybe a few times a day.

How and where do you pray? At home, at the church/temple, on your knees, lighting a candle, etc.

At home--during meditation usually, with candles and incense in front of my altar. Will have a meditation room in my new house!
And I go out to the desert, oceans or mountains and meditate while walking.

I bless everything I eat and drink with Reiki, and give thanks.

Do you pray when you are going about your day, or do you sit down formally, or only do it at church or temple?

As I go about my day, as well as setting aside special time at home. I do not go to church or temple, though.

Universe, higher self, divine energy, Earth Mother, Goddess, etc.

I do many prayers I've learned through yoga and Reiki. Also my own.

Is the language that you use to pray more formal than how you normally talk? Is it a different actual language than what you speak everyday (such as Hebrew or Sanskrit)?

It's probably more formal. I do say some prayers in Sanskrit.

How often do you pray?

2-3x a day.

Lastly, when the prayer is answered do you say a thank you prayer back or do something else to mark your gratitude?

Both.

Thanks!
#3 of 7 Old 10-05-2002, 03:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My friend has a baby in korea they have adopted but his trasfer to them has been help up with paper work (which rthey have submitted twice already) and every one needs for YTimothy to be home now this is really getting ridiculous.

Do you pray only for serious things like illness, or do you also pray for small things like not having too much rush hour traffic that day? I pray about everything. It may seeem stupid to pray about things like finding my car keys but the stress that couses inconviences others, makes me stressed and crabby with my children and hinders my witness to them so in the end it is about more than my carkeys.

Regularly. I think it is rude to call upon someone only when you want something from them.

I pray all day everyday where ever I am at. Kneeling, in church, on my way to dream land, sittin gon the crapper where ever I remember something that needs to be prayed for.

It is not a habit I grew up with and seems kinda thoughtless when most people do it so I don't. We do it when dh is home and now the girls remind me if I forget and so we will.

Depends on how I feel and why I am praying. Sometimes it "Oh God of magnificant Creator" and sometimes it is "you big jerk" (thank goodness he is merciful )

Does it follow a formal prayer you were taught or do you make it up as you go? I make it up as I go.

Is the language that you use to pray more formal than how you normally talk? Is it a different actual language than what you speak everyday (such as Hebrew or Sanskrit)? I try not to swear. I don't speak in tounges but I believe this a valid way to pray. Other than that I use my everyday language.

Lastly, when the prayer is answered do you say a thank you prayer back or do something else to mark your gratitude? Absolutely!! I mean it is not a formal thank you prayer but I di give credit and thanks to whom it is do.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 7 Old 10-05-2002, 03:17 PM

]Just thought it would make an interesting topic that can go across all faiths. Answer as many or as few as you want.

Our church is sending packages to Ukraine (service-oriented) and I prayed for them to arrive safely.

I pray for big and little things--most of all for patience with my children and husband--I seem to struggle so hard with that.

It is my "goal" to pray morning and night plus meals. I am working toward that goal.

I pray at home, sitting. lying down, kneeling, walking, however I happen to be. I don't specifically go to church to pray.

Right now my kids do mostly, but yes.

Heavenly Father

I do not follow a set formal prayer (such as the Lord's prayer) but I do follow the _example_ of the Lord's prayer. I individualize it to my family/personal situations.

I speak English, but our church encourages "formal" English--thees and thous while praying. NOT necessary, but encouraged. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, depending on whether I'm in the mode of awe before God or indivual relationship with God.

Lastly, when the prayer is answered do you say a thank you prayer back or do something else to mark your gratitude? Yes
#5 of 7 Old 10-06-2002, 03:47 AM

As a Torah-observant Jew, it's an easy poll to answer.

All the time.

There are specific set prayers/blessings for virtually every act you can perform throughout the day, and I say those. With gusto. They're in Hebrew.

There are three specific set prayer services through the day, also in Hebrew, the center of which is a set of 18(19) particular requests (for lack of a better word), and I usually manage to say that (18 reqeusts) once a day (it's an obligation for men to say 3 times a day, & for women ... well, depends who you ask).

And on my own, I talk to G-d all the time. In English, very informally. Thanks, sorry, why did You ... it all gets in there at some point during the day. G-d gets to put up with my sarcasm, too.

As far as when the prayer is answered ... I believe they are all always answered. It's just that "no" is also an answer.

And yes, I say thank you.

- Amy
#6 of 7 Old 10-06-2002, 04:52 AM

I don't really fit in this poll - I thought it would be "do you pray or do you not" kind of thing. I am a secular humanist and do not pray. My MIL is Catholic and prays a lot. When I was in college she would tell me she'd pray I'd do well on finals, that we'd have light traffic on our way back to our apartment, etc. My opinion is that if there is a god, he/she is a little too busy to juggle prayers about school tests and traffic congestion! If she is going to spend the time to pray, I would rather see prayers for food and shelter for those who need it, heal the sick, stuff like that. Which I assume she also does.
I would like to start some kind of gratefulness phrase before we eat meals. Not grace as it would not be religious but some kind of thanking for the food, those who grew it, cooked it, etc. There was another thread on this with some good ideas.
Kirsten
#7 of 7 Old 10-06-2002, 06:25 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by USAmma
[B]Just thought it would make an interesting topic that can go across all faiths. Answer as many or as few as you want.

I pray for both big and small things

Do you pray only for serious things like illness, or do you also pray for small things like not having too much rush hour traffic that day? I pray for everything...I know my God will take care of me, he is my heavenly Father...he only wants the best for me, so why not ask for it?

Do you only pray when you are very desperate or do you pray quite regularly?I pray regularly...all day

How and where do you pray? At home, at the church/temple, on your knees, lighting a candle, etc.Everywhere...standing, sitting, laying in bed....I especially like praying while nursing the baby...we can have that intimate time with God together

no, but I wish I did...I forget most of the time
Father, Lord, Jesus....Mostly just Father though
I talk to God like he is my closest friend....I don't believe that you have to be formal to get through to God
Is the language that you use to pray more formal than how you normally talk? Is it a different actual language than what you speak everyday (such as Hebrew or Sanskrit)?I speak mostly English, but I also speak in tongues

Always, I try to remember to say thanks before I end my prayer...Like "thank you Lord that You are going to answer my prayer about ----"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page