Is it possible to critique the Bible... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 36 Old 10-18-2002, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello again DaryLLL!
I have been looking into the issue of Jesus' bloodlines. I asked a minister I know, and he said that the argument I gave earlier is a valid one- that blood line was passed through the father, regardless of genetics. Also, as far as look saying "or so people thought"- I assume you take that to mean, "See, he really wasn't." What I see it to mean is people in general, at the time Jesus was teaching, didn't know he was born of a virgin. He didn't arrive at the temples and say "I'm born of a virgin and this isn't my biological dad", so as far as the people of the day understood He was Joseph's son.

But, it sounds like you've already heard this argument and don't find it to be credible.

Pussycat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 36 Old 10-19-2002, 09:59 PM

I think that on some level the Bible should be "critiqued" by Christians and non-Christians alike. But perhaps I am looking at "critiquing" in a different light.

I know many Christians from a fundamentalist church that I went to for years who knew so little of what the Bible said. In a Bible study, one person seemed surprised to "find out" that he believed some of what was written. I suppose that I feel that if one chooses to believe that the Bible is God's word, he/she should have a decent grasp on what the Bible says. I know that there are many minor points that are irrelevant to daily living, but at least the general concepts. And I think that a part of everyone's spiritual path should be to sort out why they believe what they believe, whether the beliefs are genuine, and whether they fit with one's values. I think that this form of spiritual soul- searching is sometimes done by taking a closer look at the Bible, but could be considered "critiquing."

I think that sometimes non-Christians, especially those who once were Christians, read the Bible to see why they no longer believe the message. Perhaps some even read it hoping to believe again. Maybe particular versus don't seem to fit with their overall picture of God, and they find themselves questioning that. I've found myself doing that with some of the more violent parts of the Old Testament. I'd consider this "critiquing" in some form, too.

I'm personally more comfortable with people critiquing the Bible as a part of their own spiritual journies, than critiquing the Bible in an attempt to make people who do believe in it look ignorant or to prove them wrong. It just seems like a waste to me to spend more time determining who God isn't than who God is.
I'm not a Christian, but I spent most of my life as one, and I still feel a connection to those who believe what I once did so passionately. It's almost analogous to a break-up, on some levels, and I was never one to hate the ex I once loved.

The Bible is all of ours, really, and I would never be one to advocate any form of censorship or inhibition of speech. But still, I think critiquing any religion is much more productive when it is about what we ourselves believe and not what we dislike about what others believe.

(Edited for a typo)
#33 of 36 Old 10-20-2002, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb's mommy
I'm personally more comfortable with people critiquing the Bible as a part of their own spiritual journies, than critiquing the Bible in an attempt to make people who do believe in it look ignorant or to prove them wrong. It just seems like a waste to me to spend more time determining who God is than who God isn't.
I'm not a Christian, but I spent most of my life as one, and I still feel a connection to those who believe what I once did so passionately. It's almost analogous to a break-up, on some levels, and I was never one to hate the ex I once loved.

The Bible is all of ours, really, and I would never be one to advocate any form of censorship or inhibition of speech. But still, I think critiquing any religion is much more productive when it is about what we ourselves believe and not what we dislike about what others believe.
#34 of 36 Old 10-21-2002, 01:48 AM

I have a friend who smuggled Bibles through the iron curtain during the 60' and 70's. At that time in Russia it was dangerous to own a Bible. Most underground churches had only one Bible and they would tear out the pages. Each person would take a page home for the week. Next week they would bring it back and exchange it for a different page. They treasured the page, reading and memorizing it throughout the week. They were more concerned about having the Holy Spirit reveal truth to them through the scripture, than in critiquing, and arguing amongst themselves.

My friend now teaches young pastors in the Ukraine and Siberia. These people still have such a reverence for the written word, and a hunger to learn from it. I fear when things are too comfortable, we can become bored with our faith, complacent, and often critical. (of course, I am only speaking of those within the faith.)

I think we can learn something from our brothers who are persecuted.

(edited to correct my terrible spelling!!!)
#35 of 36 Old 10-27-2002, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaryLLL
BB--

Bumper sticker alert: 667, the neighbor of the beast.

Could I laugh any harder???
#36 of 36 Old 10-28-2002, 10:12 AM

rotflmao!! That is a good one!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page