April Pagan Mamas' Thread! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 145 Old 04-24-2005, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresorchid
Kleine Hexe count me as your weirdo pagan. I DON'T have any problems with paganism. I DO however have problems with my local pagan community.
What I meant was the pagans do not have issues with their religion not necessarily the people in their religion. I see people of other religions that have doubt or misgivings about the religion itself. I have not seen that in paganism.
#122 of 145 Old 04-24-2005, 12:24 PM

KH I can see what you're saying in my own parents. They are devout Roman Catholics; EXCEPT for a few things they disagree with the Vatican on. For example, they've been using birth control for 24 years, since my younger brother was born (big no no in the Catholic faith). Just one example of many. I totally see where you're coming from with that.

And, I agree with a pp who said that it's because the pagan faith does not have all the dogma and indoctrination that are found in other faiths. "An' it harm none, do as thou wilt". The perfect commandment.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#123 of 145 Old 04-24-2005, 01:02 PM

Hi Joyce. I can't help but go over things in my head repeatedly–but it still brings me to tears if I let it. Of course, one of the things I talked to an acquaintance about yesterday who had been recently divorced is that if you have too much time on your hands, you will obsess about things. So I am trying to keep busy and spend time with other friends, both new and old.

I was going to have a member of that old group hold a Mother's Blessing for me in May. She hasn't mentioned it in awhile and it's getting pretty late to plan for it now. Plus, I really don't want her involved after what has happened! So today I am calling another friend who offered to host a baby shower for me and will ask her to host this instead. I will give her a list of the friends I want invited and their contact numbers, e-mail, etc.

While it still hurts and probably always will to some extent, knowing that I have other people in my life that I can count on and who love me really helps. And it also makes me think twice about how I behave towards others and whether my actions or words are unnecessarily hurtful. While a part of my path is spreading peace and love and avoiding hurtfulness unless it is in self- defense, being more aware of that never hurts.
#124 of 145 Old 04-24-2005, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

True, pagans don't have a great deal of dogma, but there is plenty of orthodoxy out there amongst many ways of it. Just depends on people involved and what they wish to do. There are folks on power trips in every faith.

(A Native American guy with whom we used to work long ago on some spiritual things, used to say, "There's fundamentalism everywhere". And I found that he was correct in that observation.)

On another note:
Regarding obsessing over things that are hurtful from the past, well, some find that if they designate a time in which to work those things through, however they do that, such as a technique to help diminish the "fire" attached to the hurtful incident or situation for instance, they can more easily avoid those invasive thoughts in daily life.

In addition some folks also find that they can begin to replace those thoughts (once the fire of them begin to ebb) with counting blessings, thus replacing the negativity with positivity. But certainly folks should do their will and what works for them; everyone is different.

For what it's worth...
Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#125 of 145 Old 04-25-2005, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intentfulady
Catnip

Don't know your whole story, but old rule of thumb is to
Go to bed with your babies.

Will increase milk supply.

She's never slept anywhere else.
#126 of 145 Old 04-26-2005, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Please don't flame me for this:

How 'bout a good beer with HOPS in it? (Not all beers have hops) Hops is a galactagogue, so they say.

I don't know the truth of that personally, but it might well be true...been used for centuries.

Now...I am not saying get drunk. Please do not misunderstand. I am also not advocating using beer, but I have heard that it could work.

(It might just be an old wives' tale, and some old wives' tales are simply superstition,...but on the other hand, many "old wives" knew some really good things, y'know?)

Certainly, do your will. I trust you would do research on your own about this and maybe consult a trusted caregiver.

Meanwhile, you have milky wishes coming to you from the mountains!...
Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
#127 of 145 Old 04-26-2005, 09:39 AM

it is also possible to make a tea from hops... very relaxing. a friend of mine (who is a brewer) grows hops, and has given me some. it's a beautiful vine that each summer grows from the ground up to his 3rd floor balcony.

since i've been nursing, i've developed a taste for dark beer. not sure if that's the hoppy kind. i only have about half a glass at a time, which is all i feel like drinking, but oh, it tastes and feels so good!
#128 of 145 Old 04-26-2005, 09:46 AM

catnip... I think the idea about taking the baby to bed is not so much co-sleeping, but actually going to bed and camping out. Get naked, take to the bed, and nurse as much as you both can.

Still sending good vibes your way... keep us posted!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#129 of 145 Old 04-26-2005, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce in the mts.
Please don't flame me for this:

How 'bout a good beer with HOPS in it? (Not all beers have hops) Hops is a galactagogue, so they say.

I don't know the truth of that personally, but it might well be true...been used for centuries.

Now...I am not saying get drunk. Please do not misunderstand. I am also not advocating using beer, but I have heard that it could work.

(It might just be an old wives' tale, and some old wives' tales are simply superstition,...but on the other hand, many "old wives" knew some really good things, y'know?)

Certainly, do your will. I trust you would do research on your own about this and maybe consult a trusted caregiver.

Meanwhile, you have milky wishes coming to you from the mountains!...
Joyce in the mts.
My midwife actually recommended this ... not specifically the "hops" part, but a good dark beer (Guinness is my fave!!). She said that (a) the beer would help with my letdown and (b) the alcohol would help to relax me, which would also help, since I was totally stressed about my supply issues.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#130 of 145 Old 04-26-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
There are folks on power trips in every faith.
This is true.. but im lucky enuff to have found a path where i am not ruled by one supreme HUMAN who tells me what i can and cannot do and if i do such and such im going to hell....

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
#131 of 145 Old 04-26-2005, 02:11 PM

Yes. I realize that. And we have tried that. I have tried pumping, teas, herbs, prescription drugs, the whole shebang. I am actively working with a lactation consultant. I will need to formula supplement anyway, but would like to keep as much breastmilk in the mix as is possible. The magic and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
#132 of 145 Old 04-26-2005, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

tricia80, you are right on...

Let me add that power trips also depend upon a perception about what power IS.

Joyce in the mts.

#133 of 145 Old 04-26-2005, 03:14 PM

I just wanted to mention that if you would like to avoid formula, you could also see if you can get some donated breastmilk. I have a friend who has low-supply, and she put the word out at her le leche league meetings and to her Mothering tribe here on-line, and found a couple of us moms willing to pump a bottle a day to add to her supply. We just freeze it and she picks it up once a week. I think she's managed to primarily avoid formula, which was something she felt strongly about. She also uses the system with a tube attached to the nipple so her milk is stimulated while her baby drinks the donated milk - does that make sense?!

Good luck, I imagine it can get rather frustrating at times.

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#134 of 145 Old 04-26-2005, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip
Yes. I realize that. And we have tried that. I have tried pumping, teas, herbs, prescription drugs, the whole shebang. I am actively working with a lactation consultant. I will need to formula supplement anyway, but would like to keep as much breastmilk in the mix as is possible. The magic and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

I'm so sorry ... I understand completely where you're coming from. I did everything under the sun to keep my supply, but by the time dd hit 7 months, nothing was helping. Then she went on a nursing strike and that was that ... no more breastmilk.

I don't have any other suggestions, just wanted to let you kniow that you're not alone.

#135 of 145 Old 04-27-2005, 09:02 PM

Sorry if that last post was snappy. I'm just very frustrated with this whole situation. I never intended Kaia to have anything but MamaMilk straight from the breast. Who knew I'd have insufficient glandular tissue? So now I have a 13 week old who needs a few ounces of formula every day, will only take it with an SNS at my breast (refuses bottles, syringes and sippy cups), and will only keep needing more! Her weight gain is good with only 1-4 ounces a day, so we can manage. The only things I haven't tried are domiperidone and goat's rue. I am concerned about using those without experienced supervision.
#136 of 145 Old 04-27-2005, 10:29 PM

I, too, never considered the possibility that I might not be able to ebf her. I was so committed ... I read books, went to LLL meetings ... I totally believed that my body would do what it was "supposed" to. It just didn't happen like that, and I'm still trying to get over it.

I never tried domperidone, but did try the Mother Love's More Milk Plus & More Milk Special Blend that contained goat's rue. I know some folks who swear by those products, but neither did a dang thing for my supply.

I really, really, REALLY hope that one -- or a combination of several -- of them helps you.

#137 of 145 Old 04-27-2005, 11:03 PM

Michelle... Have you tried emailing Jack Newman? I know so many Mamas that have been helped by him!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
#138 of 145 Old 04-27-2005, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaMama
Michelle... Have you tried emailing Jack Newman? I know so many Mamas that have been helped by him!
I was thinking the exact same thing!

Valérie   
#139 of 145 Old 04-27-2005, 11:56 PM

: Who's Jack Newman?
#140 of 145 Old 04-28-2005, 12:02 AM

About Jack Newman: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/about_jack_newman.html

His handouts: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/index.html

He's helped countless women, including myself (through his written work), with breastfeeding issues. I'll try to dig up his email address tomorrow if someone doesn't beat me to it. I've never emailed him myself, but apparently he's quick to respond and will help anyone that asks. I know a lot of women here locally that have gone to see him for help - he's pretty much a breastfeeding hero!

Melanie
#141 of 145 Old 04-28-2005, 09:30 AM

Contact infos for Dr.Newman are on this page (scroll down)

I've met the man an he is amazing!

Valérie   
#142 of 145 Old 04-28-2005, 12:22 PM

Hey there!

It's almost not April anymore, but I wanted to chime in as another Pagan mama here!! I haven't visited "spirituality" here before.
I'd love to hear what other families are doing with their kids as far as sprituality goes. I have 3 kids (5, 7 and 9yo). I haven't taught them anything "formal." I share my beliefs with them, and they have been participants in various rituals and gatherings- but I don't sit down hand have like a pagan version of "sunday school" or anything KWIM?
I also do some buddhist practice blended in...I do teach them some of that too-which i find a little easier to "expalin"...
#143 of 145 Old 04-28-2005, 12:31 PM

Welcome cmb123! I think it's ok not to sit kids down for official pagan lessons, in fact it's quite fine to expose them to it informally. I think many kids who are forced into xian sunday school resent it, so the way you're doing it sidestpes that (not that pagans generally force kids into religion anyway!)

And, ummm as far as I was aware it still is April, so you got here just in time!
#144 of 145 Old 04-28-2005, 01:18 PM

Thanks!
What we do totally feels "right" for us (see my sig.), just interested in what others do...being nosey
#145 of 145 Old 04-28-2005, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Can't believe it's been nearly the whole month of April since I began this thread!

Welcome to those who've just joined the conversation!

I think that kids learn best and most when what is being "taught" is simply being modeled for them. That's why parents are kids' first and best teachers!...right? (Just for myself, my opinion and my experience...your "mileage" may vary! )

Happy nearly May!...Joyce in the mts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page