April Pagan Mamas' Thread! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2005, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Pagan Mamas!

Didn't see an April thread anywhere so took the initiative- hope you don't mind!

All my best for a great weekend. It's fabulous weather here and sunny and warm...yup here in these Northern Mts.

I have a new blog entry up and you might enjoy it! (you can see what I look like too, as there is photo there!)

I wish you all deep appreciation of this wonderous season of rebirth and sprouting.

Blessed Be ALL!
Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2005, 09:51 PM

I'm a new mama that has been meaning to catch this thread at the beginning of the month. And here I have. I'm a vegetarian kitchen witch, Reclaiming tradition. I garden (kitchen herbs, flowers, some veggies and fruits), care for 5 cats, read alot and am totally smitten with my 10 week old baby girl and her wonderful father. DH and I have both been neo-pagan for about 15 years. We are planning a blessing ceremony for Kaia next weekend.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:58 PM

71 today! Nice and sunny and the wind finally slowed down.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:13 PM

We are supposed to get 70 next week. 5" of rain to come first tho.

May my forsythias bloom.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:37 PM

I'm hoping that the rain we're expecting this weekend will saturate my ground but good; it'll make it that much easier to turn it later this week. I have to get a compost bin, and a bunch of veggie seeds. This gardening stuff is expensive :LOL

It is definitely turning springy here, and I'm so excited I can hardly keep my feet on the ground. This is the first year I have my own yard; I'm planning on lots of fruit and veggies.

Also, trying to talk DH into getting a couple chickens. Can you say farm fresh eggs? :LOL

My baby's due around Litha, which is also right around the full moon, and I'm trying to come up with some way to really honor everything that is going on at that time. Open to suggestions

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
Old 04-01-2005, 10:53 PM

Old 04-01-2005, 11:43 PM

my boys are on day 6 of having chicken pox. it's been a rough week.

after our egg hunt i told ds he should give back to ostara as thanks for his blessings. my ds was on the phone talking to my mil (catholic) and he was telling her that he gave eggs to the goddess because she is nice. she did not really know what he was talking about and i thought it was really funny.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Happy Spring to Everyone!!!!!

It is finally here....Beautiful green grass,flowers and tree buds blooming.....Warm winds to caress the face....It is so breathtaking....I love the coming of Spring....

I have turned the Earth for my garden and plan on planting lots of herbs and yummy vegetables and many many beautiful flowers around my house....I am working on getting some lilac trees planted in my backyard...And a pear tree in my front yard...

Ohhhhh I love Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Mylie xx
Old 04-02-2005, 12:07 AM

Happy April Fools Day! This is my Dh's birthday and we are making banana cream pie. Ds is sick too. Not chickenpox though, he just has a nasty cold. But it is nice because he is lathargic and I have been sitting on the sofa, reading my book with him all day. He just wants to stare out the window and sleep.

We see freshly fallen snow out our window. All this talk of 70 degrees and even Joyceonthemts has Water pooling! Soon our Melting Time will come. We have sunshine untill about 8pm. Ds is now waking up at 7am with the Sun! So a day of laying around on the couch is so great. I'm going back to that now.

Blessed Be!
Old 04-02-2005, 01:12 PM

I've got my flowers, tomatoes and peppers in, the seeds for my annual herbs in the ground, my perenneals weeded and re-mulched, and all this by myself while wearing my 9 week old. My columbines and jasmine are in full bloom, and there are buds on my roses and honeysuckle.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:40 PM

Hi everyone. I wanted to say hello and get onto this thread as well. The weather here in Texas is wonderful right now, but we have been having lots of storms and far more rain than usual this year. I'd like to get back to a regular pattern.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:12 PM

Quote:
and all this by myself while wearing my 9 week old.
Right on! That is just where your baby should be!
Old 04-03-2005, 09:58 PM

Hi everyone and happy Spring!!
I live in Ohio and last week we had a string of beautiful, sunny, warm days....and then yesterday it was cold, windy and we had a snow/rain mix fall all day. Today we are back to sun. Crazy, but typical!
I had my man put the clothesline up so we are back in business as of tomorrow...can't wait for yummy line-dried clothes and sheets. All the neighbor kids love to help me hang clothes on that thing. The girls who live behind us were clapping when he put it back up!
Took a look in the little garden and noticed the mint is coming back full force! One hyacinth is out there, all in bloom. My strawberry plants are just tiny, so cute. I am sad to report that the pussywillow didn't make it through the ice storm we had at Yule. Poor thing. I loved it.
Looking forward to Full Moon this month as we are celebrating at the new house of close friends. Should be a blast, and they really got themselves a nice, cozy home.
Looking forward to getting to know some of you here.
Joyceinthemts, I wanted to tell you, I read your blog and really enjoyed it! You have me craving potato salad now!!
Old 04-03-2005, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne
I'm hoping that the rain we're expecting this weekend will saturate my ground but good; it'll make it that much easier to turn it later this week. I have to get a compost bin, and a bunch of veggie seeds. This gardening stuff is expensive :LOL
You can make a worm compost bin out with 2 big rubbermaid tubs, holes drilled in the bottom of one of them, then nested inside the other. Fill it with damp shredded newspaper, add a couple of containers of red worms from the bait shop, and bury your veggie scraps in the paper. Every once in a while you sift the worm castings out with a piece of hardware cloth. Keep it damp, and water your plants with the "worm tea" that collects in the bottom bin. They'll love it.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:44 PM

Has anyone here ever "recruited" anyone? :LOL (that's for lack of a better term )

Here's the sitch: A girl on another message board I frequent is searching. I see in her a lot of myself, and I really think that she'll find what she's looking for in some sect of Paganism. I'd like to point her in the general direction, but don't want to come across as "witnessing", if you know what I mean. I hate it when people try to shove their faith on me, and I'm really afraid of coming across that way with her.

So, I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, and how you handled it? Or, if you have or haven't been in the situation, how do you think I should handle it? :LOL

I was so glad that we were getting rain yesterday, for a couple reasons, one of which was to check the drainage in my yard, and another was to soften the soil for turning. Well, if I never see another raindrop again, it'll be too soon. My basement doors leak, and I had a river coursing across the floor from teh doors to the sump pump, which SO conveniently blew a coupling, shooting water at my ELECTRIC PANEL!

Luckily, DH was able to repair the coupling immediately, and he's an electrician, so he's downstairs changing our panel now. It needed to be changed anyway.

These are the downfalls to buying a 80 year old house in autumn; you don't know exactly what's going to happen when rainy season hits.

Still, the ground is soft, I was able to easily identify a few bad drainage spots on the property, and everyone is safe and dry. So, I guess i don't have too much to complain about.

Goddess Bless!

ETA: catnip, thanks for the info on worm composting! I'll look into a bit more.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
Old 04-04-2005, 11:07 AM

Hi SharonAnne,
I guess when I meet someone who is searching and who I think might enjoy paganism, I ask them where they have already searched and what they like. Then I tell them a bit about paganism generally as well as some other paths. By mentioning other paths and what they might like or dislike from them, you kind of take that proselytizing air out of what you say. For example, there are many similarities in the freedom of paganism and the various sects of Buddhism. Obviously, I prefer paganism, but you can always suggest that someone check out Buddhist beliefs as well.

Depending on how much the individual has shared with you, you could also direct them to possible books or specific "tribes" of paganism that sound like they might fit for the person. I think that as long as you do it with their interests in mind and casually, it won't come across so obnoxiously. Of course, if they ask you about your path, then you can feel free to tell them as much about it as you like, as well as how you feel about the path and why it calls to you.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:15 PM

I agree. Answer questions and recommend books. And maybe any non-pagan spirituality books that you like. I've recommended "That which you seek is causing you to seek," which is about Zen Buddhism, to a few folks.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonAnne
Has anyone here ever "recruited" anyone? :LOL (that's for lack of a better term )

Here's the sitch: A girl on another message board I frequent is searching. I see in her a lot of myself, and I really think that she'll find what she's looking for in some sect of Paganism. I'd like to point her in the general direction, but don't want to come across as "witnessing", if you know what I mean. I hate it when people try to shove their faith on me, and I'm really afraid of coming across that way with her.

So, I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, and how you handled it? Or, if you have or haven't been in the situation, how do you think I should handle it? :LOL
I have to say I don't do or say anything if they don't specifically ask me. Even if it seems like they are searching in my direction. I wait for them to ask me and I make sure they are serious. I am a strong believer that if the pagan path is meant for you then you will find on your own. It's a path that calls to people when they are ready. I've seen a few people on their search and thought they would "fit" into paganism but I've never addressed it. The path will find them if it is meant to be. That's my .02
Old 04-04-2005, 05:36 PM

How are you mamas explaining the goddess and god (if you do) to your dc? I told my 4 yr old to pick out some candy as an offering for his blessings. I don't think he even begins to get it. Just wondering how other mamas incorporate giving thanks, offerings, and so forth. I tried some of the stories in Circle Round but he is not ready to sit through those.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:43 AM

I just want to join this beautiful group of goddesses

Yesterday we played on the brown and green grass outside. The sun came out from behind the clouds just enough to make us comfortable. I love the sun.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:23 PM

Hi Kleine Hexe, I hope your boys feel better now!!!!

I have violas, sunflowers and calendula blooming...... thw watermelon vines are growing and the canalope are sprouting...my vegies are not planted so I do not know if I'll have a garden this year.... maybe if I get them in today.....

Happy spring!!! Michelle
Old 04-05-2005, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe
How are you mamas explaining the goddess and god (if you do) to your dc?
We began reading the stories of our ancestors, Gods & Goddesses to Fiona in utero. DH painted a beautiful mural of Donar holding one of his infant sons on her nursery wall. She attended her first blot (a heathen ceremony) at 2 weeks. We read her stories, talk to her about the Gods & Goddesses and their place in our lives, and keep her with us as we leave offerings for the house- and land-wights. I know she's too young to "get" the deeper meanings at 7 months (!!), but our plan is to keep doing the stuff we've always done, with her between us, explaining what we're doing along the way ... same way the Christians do it.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Old 04-08-2005, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I teach preschool in the mornings and have most of my students in the afternoon as daycare ect...WEll I let them watch Spongebob Squarepants at 4:00 everyday...Todays episode really made me smile.

It started with Spongebob wearing a Sunflower outfit on his head telling Squidward that it was Summer Solstice and they should celebrate the starting of Summer because it was really special...Now it only lasted all of five or 7 minutes before it went on to Mr.Krab taking over and telling him why it was important too keep the kids (who were out of school)happy so they would spend their money at the Krusty Krab...

But I was pleasantly pleased that they included it about the summer solstice...Spongbob was really pleased and happy about it and explained to the squid about it somewhat...I don't see this in childrens cartoons hardly at all...

Just thought I would share....Love Mylie xx

By the way the episode was called Krabby Land....
Old 04-09-2005, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleine Hexe
How are you mamas explaining the goddess and god (if you do) to your dc?
Much like Hethenmom, I simply do what I would naturally do (leave offerings, sing songs to the Sunshine when going for a walk, decorating a Yule tree, prayers etc.) and I either include ds or let him be near me when I do. He is 3.5 and he has recently begun to ask why I do them. Oh, he loves to smudge the house. We learned how hot incense can be on the tip and talked about how VERY hot incense is on a smudge stick and he is intentional and there for aware of where the end of that tip is. He goes from room to room. Sometimes he makes up his own blessings other times he just says bless this room. He sat through the whole story of Persephone a few times this Equinox and today we read a story about flowers and Maypoles and different love. They both came from Circle Round. Before he was sitting through stories we just some of the actives together.

My ds usually doesn’t want to give offerings if I suggest it, but sometimes he will do it by himself.

One thing that has really changed is I am verbal about my spritualiy. I used to praise the sun silently and now I do it out loud.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnadoula
One thing that has really changed is I am verbal about my spritualiy. I used to praise the sun silently and now I do it out loud.
That's true for me too, but not just RE my spirituality ... I talk aloud about EVERYTHING now! :LOL

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

Old 04-09-2005, 03:50 PM

Happy Spring, everyone! It's been months since I've stepped into the circle. I watched the Mists of Avalon this morning, and have been thinking of the Goddess and of you all. So, back to lurk and to share!

This past week has been tough with typical third trimester pregnancy complaints and a cold (ugh), but I'm hoping the next couple of days will be productive. I hope to have the time to prepare our birthing room, complete my birthing necklace, finish knitting a diaper cover for the new babe, and plant an herb garden. Let's see if the universe cooperates and I have the energy!

Melanie
Magical Mama, joyfully home educating my three wonders: FR (12/02), EG (05/05), DK (06/09)
Old 04-09-2005, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

The Face of The Mother is everywhere.

Look in the mirror!
Joyce in the mts.

CD Labor/Postpartum (MSTM), Doula trainer (BAI), Midwifery Student/Apprentice, CPS Tech
Old 04-10-2005, 01:59 AM

I just need to share how happy I am. Midwifery school is forming from a dream into reality. All my paperwork is in, and I have gone to the interview. Awaiting an acceptance letter.............

Send me blessings please.
Michelle
Old 04-10-2005, 02:12 AM

That's great, Michelle! I would like to do something along those lines one day too. I was my own MW for my second birth, and that was so fun.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:19 AM

WOW, I have to say. I am in awe of unattended birthers...... I wish I had done that with atleast one of my kidos.

User Tag List