Offerings to the Gods/Goddesses - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-23-2002, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you make offerings? Do you have a set way or schedule of doing it? How do you decide what offering to make to the different Deities? Do you rely on personal communication from the Gods on their desired offerings? Base it on what's been used historically? Just do what feels right or whatever you have on hand?

What have used for offerings? Incense? Food? Drink? Prayer? Something else?
#2 of 14 Old 10-23-2002, 08:27 AM

I have just finished a great book called Urban Primitive.. about being Pagan in the city.
And it talks about making offerings in everyday places in the city.. places certain Gods/Goddesses might frequent... places their energy might be.

So the other day I took some pomegranate seeds down to the subway and left them in a corner for Persephone. (get it.. underground!)

The book has helped me to see my whole city as a big altar.. so now I am looking for traces of the sacred everywhere.. and just leaving offerings and thinking of the appropriate dieties in different places.
#3 of 14 Old 10-23-2002, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

oh I love that Asherah!!

I make incense and prayer offerings most frequently although I do sometimes make food or libation offerings.
#4 of 14 Old 10-23-2002, 10:38 AM

I use food a lot.. but also anything that catches my eye that seems appropriate for a certain God/Goddess.. and I used to just use my altar at home, but since I read that book I'm gonna just go with what feels right and leave stuff all over town! (As long as it isn't litter, of course.)

Look out, urban pagan on the loose in Atlanta!
#5 of 14 Old 11-20-2002, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

bumping, because I would really love to discuss this more :-)
#6 of 14 Old 11-20-2002, 06:51 PM

wow asherah thats great.... looking for traces of the sacred everywhere..!

I make offerings of prayer, meditation, food.. even everyday chores I will sometimes offer up as a service to the greater.
#7 of 14 Old 11-23-2002, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been known to leave little bits of "stuff" outside: yarn for the birds or whoever, bit of jewelry metal....

I'm not formal about it.

"What will you do once you know?"
#8 of 14 Old 11-27-2002, 03:26 AM

I usually only light incense. I don't have anything set in stone, yet, b/c I'm still finding my way. I'm having a difficult time finding dieties I can feel. Do any of you know any good books that give names, history, traditional uses, etc. for gods and goddesses? Right now I refer to them as Mother and Father (of the Universe), b/c I don't feel comfortable calling them Lord/Lady, God/Goddess, or specific names. Nothing feels right, yet.
#9 of 14 Old 11-27-2002, 03:32 AM

Our family just recently started offering librations not just at the Sabbats and Esbats, but at every meal. Basically, we are trying to make it a habit to ALWAYS offer the Goddess the first "fruits". Also, I leave offerings after doing a lot of energy or spell work.
A great example is some energy work I did for a court case, invoking Themis and Ma'at. After the court had closed for the day, we went back at night and left tiny communion cups of Honey and Organic Milk on the courthouse steps.

Great topics! You suggest so many neat things.

HipMomma
#10 of 14 Old 11-27-2002, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Chaka, have you checked out the pagan resources thread, there might be something that could help in there.

If you have a specific pantheon your interested in that could narrow down the suggestions for sources. The stories of the deities are my favorite sources for info. For the greek pantheon, I life the works of Homer and Hesiod the most. Ovid is really good for the Roman deities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Hipmomma :-) and Welcome!!
#11 of 14 Old 11-27-2002, 07:06 PM

Arduinna, no I haven't, but I will now. Thanks for the tip. I'm really drawn to Ancient Egyptian lore. I've always had a thing for Isis, but I feel pretty fake when I use that name. Or any other name. Ah, well. I'm working on it...

#12 of 14 Old 11-27-2002, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

ahh Kemeticism, I'm sure I have sime info laying around...... will post when I find it. In fact I think I will post it in the pagan resources thread too.
#13 of 14 Old 11-29-2002, 01:55 AM

Before I had dd I was very spirtual and would offer a flower or something small every day at our shrine. At least I would light a candle or lamp, or burn some incense.

Now I worship the Goddess through motherhood. I offer my time and love and life energy to my baby. I try to raise her right, to thank the Divine that my little girl is in my life, and I try to be kind to the Earth in the way I live, in order to be true to myself. I worship the Goddess within myself most now, and the Goddess within my little girl and her new life and spirit.

I see myself as a Mother. I see the new gray hairs and budding wrinkles, and the sagging of my sking that has happened since becoming a mother. I marvel at the passing of time and the cycle of life, and the blessing of taking part in that cycle. Experiencing the fullness and joys of youth, now motherhood, and eventually the glory of old age.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#14 of 14 Old 11-29-2002, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Darshani, what a beautiful post :-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page