New Beginnings Catholic Mamas - May - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 102 Old 05-02-2005, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's the month of Mary! Happy May, mamas!

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 102 Old 05-02-2005, 12:39 PM

#3 of 102 Old 05-02-2005, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mr J made his First Communion on Saturday. He was SO handsome in his little black suit.

He did so well at the practice on Saturday morning, the DRE had him come up and show all the other kids how to receive the Host. Not bad for my little aspie! He winked at me all through Mass and flashed me a big smile after receiving the Eucharist.

We had the biggest FC class in the history of our little parish....eighteen kids!

Also on Saturday, our DRE asked J-Man to attend the Christian Leadership (CLI) conference this summer! We send one teenager each year for the weeklong program. He's pleased as punch, and I'm sooooooo excited for him!

I'm a proud, proud mama today!

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#4 of 102 Old 05-02-2005, 12:50 PM

Heidi - I like you Mother Theresa quote. Very nice.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#5 of 102 Old 05-02-2005, 02:34 PM

Are there any traditionalist (TLM) moms here ?
#6 of 102 Old 05-02-2005, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiemommie
Are there any traditionalist (TLM) moms here ?
PM mcimom (Leigh Anne). The Trad moms have a group at AIMOO.

#7 of 102 Old 05-02-2005, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullens_Girl
Heidi - I like you Mother Theresa quote. Very nice.
Thanks! And Welcome!

#8 of 102 Old 05-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Banned

subscribing-post later, maybe. time to clean the kitchen :
#9 of 102 Old 05-02-2005, 03:46 PM

whew!! first communion party over...man, that's hard work. But we had a fun time too. Del looked, well, stunning in her hand me down dress, fancy braided hairdo courtesy of a doting teenage cousin, jewelry from her godfather...tucked in her purse (child goes everywhere with a pocketbook these days) was a little book my parents gave me for my first holy communion, exactly 40 years to the day before. After communion, she read the little meditation in my book to herself, and snuggled up close to me. At the consecration, she was so excited...the class had baked the bread last week at their retreat...she said, as Fr. blessed it, "now it's our bread..." then after the consecration, "Now It's Jesus. Pretty cool, huh?" (she's, um, chatty in church).

Someone said to me, "She is just shining, shimmering", so full of excitement was she about this day...the night before she kept saying, "Mom, tomorrow is the most important day in my life so far..."

guess my half-baked do-it-yourself religious instruction took, huh? Heidi, we had 20 kids; it's so nice and intimate to have that few. People can get to know them, we can take time at the altar. All in all, a pretty wonderful day. Mama is exhausted today though...and so hanging out at LLL, at mothering, anywhere but doing my work...or facing the mess in the kitchen ugh!!
#10 of 102 Old 05-02-2005, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thank goodness the Paschal candle and I did not wrangle yesterday! :LOL I was super-careful to keep my distance (well, as much as I could keep since I only stand about a foot from the thing!) when exchanging the Sign of Peace and when receiving the Eucharist.

Three people in our group had bad colds, and there were a couple of times I wondered if I was the only person singing.

DDsMom: We bit the financial bullet and invited our families out for a breakfast buffet at the Holiday Inn yesterday morning. Sadly, my house was/is in no shape to receive visitors.

#11 of 102 Old 05-02-2005, 05:28 PM

Congratulations on your childrens' First Communions - it sounds like a beautiful day for your families. I am excited about it for my kiddos - and they are only 3 and 1!!!

I noticed a post about someone asking about "traditional mamas." How would you all categorize someone who is traditional Catholic?

I think I am traditional on certain issues, not on others... My big problem in coming back to the Church has been their high-profile antagonism toward homosexuals - I don't expect the Church to sanction gay marriage (yet...) but why not try to be more open and loving? This was a big issue here in Massachusetts last year when the courts allowed gay marriage.

But on most other issues I would say I am traditional - surprising to most people who know me!
#12 of 102 Old 05-02-2005, 05:55 PM

Cgmom, I think "traditional" usually means you accept the Church's doctrinal teachings as infallible.
#13 of 102 Old 05-02-2005, 06:55 PM

The first communions sound lovely! What age are your kids, Heidie and Darlingdeliasmum? It sounds really nice to go through it in a group like that - I love the idea that they baked the bread themselves. I have no idea where the bread in our church comes from. I'm afraid to ask, in case someone says, "Well, why don't you..."
#14 of 102 Old 05-03-2005, 12:57 AM

Subscribing.
#15 of 102 Old 05-03-2005, 11:45 AM

Catarina: Delia is 8, and she actually is why I am in the bread baking ministry at my church. She has always loved the kitchen, so I figured this was a job the two of us could do together, and she helps out usually.
But I think most parishes just buy it wholesale LOL. I always heard that there is an order of nuns, contemplatives for the most part, who earn their living by baking communion wafers. Don't know if it's true, or just Catholic Philly mythology. We use both wafers and this lovely unleavened bread recipe that, when second graders make it, has the consistency of playdough...yum! but when an experienced baker makes it, is not quite so, um, interesting in texture.

Heidi: I thought of you on Sunday. My friend does the flowers in church and stopped by our pew to wish Del good luck before Mass--and to surreptitiously check on the Paschal candle. Ours stands in the middle of the aisle (centered right under the dome in our 150 yr old church). It's huge; the base is like 6 feet high, this elaborately carved gold thing about as old as the church. They have to use a stepladder to light the candle/transfer its flame for baptisms, etc. She whispered to me that the candle had fallen over the day before when they were replacing the flowers in its base...she was really worried about some nervous First Communicant knocking into it!! That thing would take out at least a pew full of people--not as bad as your attempt to take out the rest of the choir, but still not so conducive to prayer!!
#16 of 102 Old 05-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Banned

Many years ago, when I was in school, I attended mass at the campus Newman Center. The Eucharist was homemade and tasted delicious very sweet. I still can taste it now-20 plus years later
#17 of 102 Old 05-03-2005, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catarina
The first communions sound lovely! What age are your kids, Heidie and Darlingdeliasmum?
Mr J is 7.

Quote:
I love the idea that they baked the bread themselves.

Me, too! That's very cool.

Quote:
I have no idea where the bread in our church comes from. I'm afraid to ask, in case someone says, "Well, why don't you..."
:LOL

#18 of 102 Old 05-03-2005, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlindeliasmom
I always heard that there is an order of nuns, contemplatives for the most part, who earn their living by baking communion wafers.
Well, we get ours from the Little Sisters of the Poor; and they do seem to rely heavily on that income and donations.

Quote:
Heidi: I thought of you on Sunday. My friend does the flowers in church and stopped by our pew to wish Del good luck before Mass--and to surreptitiously check on the Paschal candle. Ours stands in the middle of the aisle (centered right under the dome in our 150 yr old church). It's huge; the base is like 6 feet high, this elaborately carved gold thing about as old as the church. They have to use a stepladder to light the candle/transfer its flame for baptisms, etc. She whispered to me that the candle had fallen over the day before when they were replacing the flowers in its base...she was really worried about some nervous First Communicant knocking into it!! That thing would take out at least a pew full of people--not as bad as your attempt to take out the rest of the choir, but still not so conducive to prayer!!
:

Fortunately, it wouldn't have taken out anything...just fallen into the aisle and made a big scene! It stands between me and the Altar table...we have pile carpeting on the Altar which makes the holder a little unstable - just unstable enough to go over with a slight bump from a certain clumsy music minister. :

#19 of 102 Old 05-03-2005, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Someone said to me, "She is just shining, shimmering", so full of excitement was she about this day...the night before she kept saying, "Mom, tomorrow is the most important day in my life so far..."

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! You must have totally been :

#20 of 102 Old 05-03-2005, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmom
I noticed a post about someone asking about "traditional mamas." How would you all categorize someone who is traditional Catholic?
OK, this tends to be a hot button issue around here, so I'll give you the Reader's Digest version.

Basically, the Trad moms (who used to have their own thread here in Spirituality, but have since migrated to a whole other board they created for themselves) prefer a Latin Mass or a "proper" Novus Ordo Mass; and adhere strictly to the teachings of the Church, without question. A couple of them do pop in here now and then.

The mamas here on the "New Beginnings" thread are a little more diverse, and we do often question and even disagree with some Church doctrines. Many here have made a recent return to the Catholic Church; some are still discerning a return; some are healing from old wounds. We are all at different places in our respective faith journeys.

All are welcome, but be forewarned that our dialogue may venture into respectful disagreement now and then. My only request is that, if you are more Trad, you do not use this thread as an opportunity to bash anyone who might disagree with you. We have all supported each other for several months now. Please be respectful.

(DISCLAIMER: I love and miss the Trad mamas who left. I harbor no ill will towards any of them...I truly, truly miss the camraderie we shared and esp the fairy swapping! I hope you're all well, mamas. )

#21 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 10:21 AM

Thanks, Heidi for the Little sisters of the Poor reference...that would make sense. There's a convent in Philly that my mom always said housed "the pink ladies", devoted to the Blessed Sacrament and always in prayer...I might have mixed up the 2 orders in my mind...and yes, I know that "pink lady" isn't their official name, but things I learned at my mamas knee stick and the facts I learned later tend to slide off...

Be careful out there mamas!! Never know what myths your kids are going to credit you with in the future!!! :LOL
#22 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 05:41 PM

Hi again It's been a while since I posted.

Have any of you set up a May Altar? I really want to, but I don't have kids yet, and while my agnostic SO is s l o w l y being introduced to my traditions, this isn't one I want to open up about just yet :

I used to love doing them when I was a kid. Do they still do the crowning of Mary at Churches? If they do, was it last Sunday?

Sorry for all the questions.
#23 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

We always have one of the First Communicants crown Mary at the FC Mass, while the congregation sings "Flowers of the Rarest".

#24 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
There's a convent in Philly that my mom always said housed "the pink ladies", devoted to the Blessed Sacrament and always in prayer...
Your memory isn't that far off, actually. Here's their Web site . They're the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters, a.k.a. "The Pink Ladies" or "The Pink Sisters." If you click on their virtual tour link, you can see pictures of their fantastic bright pink habits.
#25 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 06:51 PM

Trad mama here. I prefer the Latin Tridetine Mass. I only pop in every once in a while. And yes, we have an AIMOO group. You can PM me or leighanne (mcimom) but she will just send you to me!!!

Good to see all the FHC's went well! And I miss May crowning, our church didn't do it (I dont' get to go to TLM right now, so we go to our local NO mass.)
#26 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Dani, nice to see you.

#27 of 102 Old 05-04-2005, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Cool link, Marisol! Those Pink Sisters are great!

#28 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 10:31 AM

Our church, about as nontraditionalist as they come, still does May crownings!! On Mother's day, usually a first communicant and their mom do the crowning...after Communion. I think that's a nice gesture. This year the Art and Environment Committee have moved our big Mary statue from her niche to our contemplative prayer space in the back of church...it's awesome. Del and I will spend some time visiting today at Ascension Thursday Mass.
suzywan: I do an altar all year long; incorporate some Waldorf type seasonal elements and liturgical seasonal elements. Like I have a dish of ashes through Lent, a dish of water and some decorated eggs and an Alleluia banner Del made in Easter...I have a Mary vase that I refill with fresh flowers all this month--and in October. Del and I work on the rosary, andI try to teach her Mary songs. I think the Waldorf stuff might make it more accessible to your SO.

And thanks, Marisol, for the link. I'll click on it after posting...but, do they make wafers, or is that just mythology?

Gotta go call the girl out sichk from school so she can come make her 2nd communion with me!!
#29 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 03:32 PM

My Hannah (8) made her First Holy Communion this past weekend as well. It was wonderful! Glad to see some others here did it this past weekend as well! I don't get to come here often but you're all in my prayers.

I'm a semi Trad mama. I don't know what you would call me. "Still learning" would be the best thing, I guess!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#30 of 102 Old 05-05-2005, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

!!!!!Amy!!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page