How do you feel about cross-religions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2002, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you think that one could have a combination of religions? Could you be a Hindu-Catholic-Pagan? Or a Wiccan-Rastifarian-Buddist? What about a Baptist-Muslum-Somthing or other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2002, 09:24 PM

hi! i think each religion would not like idea as they prefer you to beleive whole heartedly their beliefs and customs i suppose. i struggle with commiting to one religion as i really believe they are all similar and going for same ideas. so i sort take bits and pieces of what i like. as my daughter gets older i feel the need to establish it all more so we can start our traditions. even though a person picks one to follow, they can still teach children of all ideas and experiment with them.? anyway, probably not much help, but really your free to do whatever but maybe with time your heart will direct you to one religion more than other?!! tara.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:27 PM

Yes I totally think you could have a combination of religions. Whatever makes you feel comfortable and happy.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:39 PM

I tend to mix Catholic and Pagan. I love the beautiful parts of the Catholic faith, but I hate the hypocricy As most of the rites and rituals come from Pagan roots, it's a logical and easy combination (not to mention socially acceptable)

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
Old 10-28-2002, 10:06 PM

I choose to keep a very open mind when it comes to spirituality. I believe in many ideas from many different religions-I can't put myself in a category of just one. I have friends and family of many different faiths- from Catholic-to Baptist-To Buddist-to Jewish-To Pagan-along with an assortment of mixes and inter-faith marriages. The only thing I see as wrong is for one to tell another one that they are "going to hell" because they don't share the same beliefs. We are all on a spiritual journey-and basically-we all believe in some form of higher power/creator-we all pray/meditate/connect at some level-and we are all searching for a higher level in one form or another. No one can tell me my beliefs are wrong-I listen to my heart-I learn with my mind- and I evolve every step of the way
Old 10-28-2002, 10:11 PM

some combine more naturally than others, some not at all. Some buddhism tends to think of it as a philosophy than a religion, so depending on your application it can be quite compatible with a religions. Some Unitarians are compatible with paganism among other things, etc. There's also a big gulf between one's personal beliefs and that of others, or the hierarchy, in your religion. Official approval of doctrinal conformity isn't all that important to some, so you can't say someone can't be this and that combo if it's what they feel. If you don't approve, so maybe you don't become their worship buddy or something...

I guess I'm too much of an individualist, I never saw much point to trying to ensure internal and external spiritual consistency/orthodoxy. You can't see into men's hearts... How does that go?
Old 10-28-2002, 10:12 PM

To each their own is my philosophy. I wouldn't tell someone they can't be a whatever whatever (fill in the blanks). I'm not sure how hard polytheism could possible mix with hard monotheism though.

I had been a soft polytheistic eclectic pagan for a long time, but that has ended up with an eye opening hard polytheistic practice now.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:25 PM

Arduinna, for you, how did you differentiate between "hard" and "soft"? That was an intriguing use of words.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:26 AM

Here's how I define it : Hard Polytheism is a belief that each God and/or Goddess is a seperate entity and has it's (his/her) own way of relating to humanity. They are not an archtype or representation or face of the one or two forces of the universe.

Soft Polytheism is a belief that there is The One Universal Force or God Head that manifests itself in myriad ways. So the different Gods and/Goddesses of all the pantheons are just each cultures way of seeing or relating to the One or Two Main Deities or force of the universe. All Gods/Goddesses are just an archetype ( al la Jung) or a face of the one (or two sometimes) Universal Force. In other words all are One (or two as the case may be). All Gods are one God and All Goddesses are one Goddess.

The same thing kinda goes with monotheism. I've never heard of a monotheistic religion that officialy believed that other gods are real. You know that whole if it ain't Jesus your going to hell thing. But I do know some members of these religions that think that all Gods are The God (of the Bible and/or Jesus) so I guess you could call that soft monotheism. Although I've never really thought about that.

I hope that made sense.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:56 AM

Thanks! Yup, I do know soft monotheists too.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Arduinna, what you described as "soft Polytheism" is Monism. That "all Gods/Goddesses" are One God/Goddess is, I think, the definition. Though I think soft polytheism is a pretty good description too.

http://www.witchvox.com/basicsw/litt...hristian0.html

Either this Little Witch story or the other one at Witchvox goes into the definitions of the different types of religion: monotheism, pantheism, polytheism....

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 11-07-2002, 03:47 AM

hahamommy, very interesting to meet someone else who tends to mix Catholic and Pagan!!! I love the beauty of the rituals in the Mass, the symbolism of the flowers, the incense, the beautiful sound of the pipe organ, the choir voices, the stained glass, the high ceilings in Victorian churches...........but yes, I hate the hypocracy. We're not good Catholics - we don't go to church regularly (putting it mildly.....). Only on holidays with our moms. But our ds is baptized Catholic. Don't know what we're going to do about his sacraments. Right now we're just not participating Catholics.

I tend to think I have an old Druid spirit. I am so affected by the change of seasons and the beauty in each one. Right now I'm enraptured by autumn. I try to find ways to celebrate each season - we've been frolicking in pumpkin patches and picking apples of late. I'm also so affected by burning candles and incense, and the sight of fresh wildflowers. And trees............with their blossoms in spring, their rustling leaves, their greenness in summer, their bursting color in autumn, and the way they hold the glistening snow in winter..............I do love trees.

Anyway, I was surprised & happy to see that someone else was finding a way to celebrate both religions. PM me anytime if you'd like to chat!
Old 11-07-2002, 09:58 PM

It's funny, I don't really mix my belief system per se... I am a christian that believes in one God. But I believe in the pagans beautiful way of honoring the earth. Does that make sense? I wanted to thank the women here for some great ideas in raising earth friendly children that are thankful for the gift of the earth. It is hard to find christians who aren't scared to death of acting out their thanks for the earth, they are afraid of being typecast as "one of them" I have had such a hard time finding earthy rythyms and rituals from a christian mindset. Ah well, maybe that's what I am here for...

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 11-11-2002, 08:28 PM

hahamommy, just wanted to thank you for pm'ing me, and tell you that I pm'd you back right away, and it said your box was full. Is it still full?

I'll try again later.

User Tag List